HMS Lynx

treeve
8th July 2006, 00:08
Please can anyone confirm whether or not there was
an HMS LYNX after the Destroyer that was mined in 1915
and before the Leopard Class Frigate ( F27)?
I have a piece of confusing information given to me
regarding a Grimsby man who died on HMS LYNX in 1918.
Best Wishes
Raymond

jbryce
12th July 2006, 21:56
During ww2, it appears that there was a shore base named HMS LYNX at Dover. Don't know how long it had been in existance.

"Allen Smith remembers his time carrying out minesweeping duties. with the BYMS 2049 while stationed at HMS Lynx in Dover "

The info was found on Harry Tate's Navy site:

http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/veteranstales22.htm

treeve
12th July 2006, 22:04
Thanks for that piece ....
I'll have to check out as to when it was established.
My great uncle Charles died on the trawler THEBAN in 1919,
having struck a mine; his son was killed in 1918, and is
named as being of HMS LYNX; I suppose it is possible
that a Grimsby fishing vessel appropriated by the War Office
could have been called "HMS" by a layperson for the
purposes of a memorial, and yet I do not find him on
the CWGC website.
I am currently compiling a Registration list of Grimsby fishing vessels.
One of those mysteries I may never solve.

Best Wishes
Raymond

dunbar
18th September 2006, 20:15
Hello Raymond

From 'Dictionary of Disasters at sea during the Age of Steam 1824-1962'

LYNX British Navy, destroyer; 1912; London & Glasgow Shipbuilding Co.; 950 tons; The destroyer LYNX, Cdr. J.F.H. Cole, was serving in North Scottish waters during the First World War when she struck a mine and sank off the Moray Firth on August 9th, 1915. Of her compliment about 70 officers and ratings, including Cdr. Cole, were drowned. The survivors numbered four officers and 22 ratings. The mines had been sown by the German raider METEOR.

Hope this is of interest

Regards John

Peter4447
18th September 2006, 22:49
Hi Raymond
A similar query to this came up a shortwhile ago on SN. It was Admiralty policy to attach small ships (such as destroyers, frigates, minesweepers etc) to Depot ships and Shore Establishments, with the ships themselves being referred to as tenders.
Taking the 1914-18 War as an example, a submariner who went right through the war serving in various E Class submarines based at Harwich, if during that period he had become eligible for his Long Service Medal, then it would have been inscribed with his Number, Rating, Name, Initials and the name of the Depot Ship ie: HMS Maidstone and NOT the number of the submarine in which he was serving at the time. The same rule applies to destroyers etc.
Again it was normal practice to put the name of the Depot Ship/Shore Establishment on the man's Service Record and (if you are lucky) you might find the name of the actual ship in which he was serving was added after this in brackets.
If HMS Lynx was, in fact, a Depot Ship/Shore Base then the person you are interested in could very well have been serving in a small requisitioned ship at the time that came under HMS Lynx for administrative purposes.
If a requisitioned vessel, regardless of its size flew the White Ensign then it would carry the title HMS.
Hope this may help.
Regards
Peter4447(Thumb)

Hawkeye
26th September 2006, 23:49
Hi Raymond
There was a HMS Lynx II in commision between 1914 - 1919. She was a Grimsby based Trawler, owned by Grimsby & N.E. Trawling Co, built in 1906 by Cochrane's at Selby. Her Port Reg is GY 133, requisitioned in 1914, given Admty No 31. She was returned to her owners in 1919, after the war. She was sunk in WWII by a U-boat on the 28.10.1939.
This info came from a book I have in my procession. It is called Royal Navy Trawlers, by Gerald Toghill. Availble from Maritime Books of Liskeard, Cornwall. It is in two parts. The first deals with Trawlers built by the Admiralty, the second deals with Requisitioned Vessels from both wars.
Hope this helps in solving your questions.
Regards
Karl

treeve
27th September 2006, 00:20
Thank you very much for all your ideas and help ....
I have just looked again at the record Roll of Honour,
gives day unknown, August 1918, Charles Forward,
died, HMS Lynx. It seems I will need to check through all the
trawlers again ... as I say there is no CWGC entry for him.
Thank you Hawkeye, I'll take a trip to Liskeard. I think Peter
may well be on the right track .... I think I will check out
the lists of losses for August 1918....
Best Wishes ...

Hawkeye
27th September 2006, 14:17
Hi Raymond
You don't have to travel that far, just for a book, although it is in a nice area of the country. You can get the books though either a shipping magazine like Ships Monthly, Sea Breezes, etc, a good bookshop like Waterstones ot Ian Allen, or go on to their website: http://www.navybooks.com/
Another point to consider, the person you are trying to track down may have died, but the ship he was serving on may not have been lost.
Regards
Karl
(Thumb)

treeve
27th September 2006, 15:32
Hi Karl, quite right, that was one of the options I was considering, when I asked if there were any other "HMS Lynx's" between 1915 and 1918.
There may be a chance of finding an incident in August 1918 that fits the details. CWGC does list details for dates if the name is left blank, and so I may be able to find some information in that way. Liskeard isn't that far away, I use the net for ordering books, but I also like browsing through book shops, especially the small personal ones; most of the larger shops cater for the mass interests - try and find a book on Maritime history in WHSmiths in Cornwall - and then try and make a complaint. Might as well forget it.
Best Wishes.

Peter4447
27th September 2006, 16:26
Hi Again Raymond
Hawkeye was too quick off the mark for me when he suggested that the person you are seeking may have died through an accident or natural causes, whilst the ship itself was not actually involved in any form of action or lost.
One other thought does occur to me, however, albeit a long shot. When wandering around graveyards and looking at the War Graves, I have often come across those where the person actually died in 1919, 1920 or even later. I am wondering if these died as a result of wounds or injuries sustained some years earlier and had been cared for in hospital in the UK for a number of years.
It's just a thought but could the person you are seeking have been in HMS Lynx and was actually wounded or injured when she was mined?
Peter4447(Thumb)

treeve
27th September 2006, 17:09
Thanks Peter, again that was another thought I had in mind, but did not want to "fix the ground" in my question.
That is one big problem I have had in making a memorial to those who lost their lives on Athel Ships; The list does not include all those who died later as a result of injuries. I wish I could correct that omission.
I may possibly be able to obtain a crew list for HMS Lynx for 1915. The Forward family were very unlucky over the years 1890-1930. Thanks again, Best Wishes

makko
27th September 2006, 17:22
I read with interest this thread and the thorough research.

As an anecdote, I have a friend whose father was maybe the last casualty of Operation Market Garden, the airdrop at Arnhem. He was a Polish radioman and parachuted in. His breastplate is in the Parachute Regt. Museum,

Anyway, he took a hit from shrapnel and at that time it was considered unwise to remove it. In 1997, the shrapnel had finally moved over the intervening 53 years, severed his Aorta, killing him instantly

Regards,

Dave R.