windows XP pro

billyboy
9th July 2006, 14:15
I have been having severe probs with my computer recently. this morning it went crazy and kept spitting me out. had a guy here for 3 hours today fixing it. apparently many people here have had the same problems. he foung the fault was due to automatic update system. it updated three days ago and nothing had worked right since, many programs were affected by it. I am now up and running again and automatic updates have been cancelled. he said "if the computer is doing all you want it to do...why alow updates to spoil it" he has had to reset many puters over here due to this including the ones whgere he works (he's the It man there) (Cloud)

benjidog
9th July 2006, 17:27
Billy,

There are a few people on this site who have reported this problem - is seems to be a matter of luck.

If you can't use the automatic updates you must make sure that you have good anti-virus and spyware software installed and keep it updated as a lot of the XP updates are to fix security weaknesses - that is the main reason for applying the updates.

Regards,

Brian

billyboy
10th July 2006, 01:08
Billy,

There are a few people on this site who have reported this problem - is seems to be a matter of luck.

If you can't use the automatic updates you must make sure that you have good anti-virus and spyware software installed and keep it updated as a lot of the XP updates are to fix security weaknesses - that is the main reason for applying the updates.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian, there was no virus on mine, couple bits of minor spyware that slipped through Ad-adware. just part of the programing system got a wee bit scrambled. Computer started to hand a lot. ctrl/alt/delete did nothing, re-boot did nothing. had to pull the plug on it. when trying to burn wifes work to disc the burning woul fail at 85% and lock the computer up.
Touch wood (head) computer is fine now. everything seemed to be working last night. only cost me a fiver too! to get it fixed. Reckon they are using the wrong grade of rice in the server Brian? ... LOL (Thumb)