MFV Speedwell

Clem
11th July 2006, 14:39
I wonder if anyone can provide any info./pics. of the MFV Speedwell? All I know is that she possibly fished out Ayr in April 1950 before passing through the Caledonian Canal, to Macduff, to fish on the East coast.

Cheers

Clem

Roger Griffiths
11th July 2006, 20:48
Hi,
There were five British fishing vessels around at that time with the name SPEEDWELL. Maybe this could narrow it down. From Olsens 1949

Roger
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/rogerhollywood/OLSENS1949-01.jpg

Clem
11th July 2006, 21:16
That's great Roger, I couldn't have hoped for a quicker response, thanks a bundle.

The vessel in question was, at that time (April 1950) crewed by Grimsby fishermen and, owned by a Scotsman.

I would say, based on the Olsens of 1949, we are looking at the possibility the boat was INS162 Speedwell on account of the owners name, George Garden.

My only clue was that the owners Christian name was George. I'll double check with my relative, who worked on her then, to see if he recognises his surname.

If the vessel in question is the one (INS162 Speedwell) then, has anyone come across any images of her?

Thanks for your help

Clem

wully farquhar
18th July 2006, 00:22
Hi Clem, I was talking to our Fishermermen's Mission superintendent today who belongs to Lossiemouth and he says it was always a Lossie crew which were on the Speedwell when she was in Lossie,so maybe it is not the Speedwell that you are looking for.The last time i saw the Speedwell that was once reg. INS. was in Shetland,that was a few years ago,she had a tank fitted in her fishroom space and was used to ferry fuel oil out to the floating dry dock in Lerwick,maybe some of the Sheltie members will have some more info on her.
Cheers,-----------Wully (Thumb)

allan besant
19th July 2006, 18:03
Apparantly that is the same SPEEDWELL that was in Orkney for many years. She was bought out of Lossiemouth from a W Garden or a name like that.approx 1974. she had diesel tanks fitted in her fish hold and ran diesel from Scapa pier to Flotta oil terminal for many years before being sold on. no one is certain about the fishing no but it was INS----- WHATEVER. Regards------------- Allan.

grahamtowa
19th July 2006, 21:32
In the 1954,1956, 1961and 1965 Olsens there is another Speedwell owned by a George. This was BA85, owned by George P. Sellar of Grimsby. This ties in with your Grimsby crew as well. Still in the 76 Olsens but gone by the 80 one.
don't know if this helps or confuses the issue. If someone had a 1950 or 51 olsens, it might help????

Clem
19th July 2006, 22:05
In the 1954,1956, 1961and 1965 Olsens there is another Speedwell owned by a George. This was BA85, owned by George P. Sellar of Grimsby. This ties in with your Grimsby crew as well. Still in the 76 Olsens but gone by the 80 one.
don't know if this helps or confuses the issue. If someone had a 1950 or 51 olsens, it might help????

Graham, I've just spoken to my relative and, he feels sure this will be the boat in question. He is almost certain, given his years, that George P. Sellar is the man. It would also conveniently explain why a Grimsby crew were employed on her. But yes, anyone who has a copy of an Olsenís of 1950 would hopefully be able to confirm the owner then as being George P. Sellar.

Allan, Wully, thanks loads for your input (and photo) so far. Iím sorry I gave you a bit of a red-herring (sorry, couldnít resist that one). But, knowing a small fishing vessel was converted into a Ďtankerí has put a pleasant smile on my face. Whatever next, eh? I know the Navy is short of a couple of aircraft carriers!

Once again folks, thanks for your effort and, I hope you are all finding it as interesting as I am.

(Applause) Clem

Sorry Roger, thank you too for looking in Olsens '49 and starting the ball rolling. (Applause)

Roger Griffiths
20th July 2006, 01:26
No Worries Clem,
In Olsens 1953 BA85 was owned by our man George P Sellar

Roger

grahamtowa
20th July 2006, 09:03
All the best, Clem, let us know how you get on with your research. The only other thing listed for Speedwell is that the gross tonnage and net tonnage were both 37 tons.I don't honestly know what this means, but I'm sure someone else will.

grahamtowa
20th July 2006, 09:31
All this Olsens talk has given me an idea, see my posting under the Olsens thread.

Clem
8th November 2006, 22:43
Hi folks, with reference to BA85 Speedwell. Is there any chance I can have the page from Olsen's posted into this thread for me to look at.

I'm trying to elliminate the possibility that PD259 Speedwell was the same vessel. If PD259 & BA85 are in the same edition of Olsen's, job done.

Cheers

Clem

Winner
9th November 2006, 15:12
Hi Clem
Hoping not to add more confusion,Speedwell PD259 was always PD259,unfortunately she was lost while pairing in the Minch, in the late sixties.
Speedwell INS 162 is working on pier work at Sullom Voe,and that other Speedwell BA 85 if you look at the Shetland Museum site there is a picture of her lying beside the pier at Lerwick,she has that big hausepipes more like the style on the mfv s hope this may be of some use to you.

robby
26th January 2007, 19:29
The Speedwell BA35 was towed from Macduff to Whitehills around 1950 - 52 and broken up in the old Blackpots harbour for firewood.

wully farquhar
26th January 2007, 22:13
The Speedwell BA35 was towed from Macduff to Whitehills around 1950 - 52 and broken up in the old Blackpots harbour for firewood.
robby,Would that be the wheelhouse of her that is in the bairns play park aside the caravan park!!!?

osp500
26th January 2007, 23:13
the original wheelhouse on the "bairns pride" came from the whitehills boat "concorde" ex "lass o doune" from macduff the boom came from the "HALCYON" BF187 im pretty sure the whaleback came from the macduff boat"mizpah" but i dont know where the derrick came from!! there is a new wheelhouse now after the original rotted away and became unsafe for the kids to play on

donald mckay
28th January 2007, 19:48
There was also a Speedwell sold to and operated by Jockie Sinclair before he bought the Boy Peter WK64 in the mid/late 50s I just canna mind on her though

donald mckay
15th February 2007, 21:51
the Speedwell I mentioned before came to Wick in 17/04/1954 and was sold to Kilkeel (Charles Campbell) 15/11/1955 She was built in Macduff in 1937 34.36 tons 60.6 ft LOA 18ft beam and 7ft draft previously being FR256 GYFV owned by
Geo Walkers

japottinger
16th September 2007, 21:27
I have a few pics of a Speedwell which will need to dig out. George Duncan on the Peterhead tug was one of the crew/owners

clydesiderman
16th September 2007, 21:54
There was a fishing boat "Speedwell" registered in Port Seton, which was one of a group of Port Seton boats which fished out of Ayr during the 1950/60s.
Her master was normally A Peden. During the week the boats landed and overnighted at Ardrossan, landing on a Friday , then moving to Ayr or Troon to lie over the weekend while the crew went home, to return on the Monday morning. The website www.Ardrossanships.com (which is still being added to) shows some of her visits. The fish agent handling the boats was Boardley of Ayr. Douglas.

grahamtowa
16th September 2007, 22:30
Think the Port Seton Speedwell was built around 1962 at Weatherhead and Blackie as LH209. Fished till around 2000, is now converted for pleasure, usually lying at St Monans.

Mike Craine
23rd September 2007, 12:56
1950 Olsens
Speedwell LK190 41 ton W Duncan, Burra Isle
Speedwell F107 23 ton b1908 Burnham Seasalter & Ham Oyster Fishery Co Ltd Whitstable
Speedwell BA 85 GKCX 37 ton George P Sellar, Grimsby
Speedwell INS162 MRVD 38 ton George Garden, Lossiemouth
Speedwell VI FR256 MRFC 34 ton Geo Walker & Sons, Fraserburgh
Hope this helps.