adopted ship

redgreggie
11th July 2006, 16:26
when I was at secondary modern school (this must have been centuries ago before they all got new fangled names, and we did as we were told, yes that long ago!), it was around 1961/2, our school 'adopted' a BP tanker, I'm not sure which one it was, we use to get correspondense I believe from some of the crew.
I don't know if this was something that other companies did or was it unique to BP tankers?
This was probably fascinating to us as we were in Derbyshire and had no chance of seeing ships.
It must have made an impression on me as I joined the Merchant Navy straight from school, I only did 5 years but I enjoyed it greatly, I only left to get married.
I never did serve on any BP ships, though I did do a short trip on a Shell tanker, the Anadara, much preferred cargo ships.
I was just curious to see if any-one remembers writing to any schools?
The school I was at was Gosforth Secondary Modern and it was at Dronfield Woodhouse, Nr. Sheffield.

gdynia
11th July 2006, 19:14
I spent my time at Seahouses Secondary Modern School, Northumberland and our adopted vessel was a Banana Boat,

John Rogers
11th July 2006, 19:29
I was attending the Portway School for Boys Nr Bristol in 1943 -1944,then they changed the name to Portway Secondary Modern School,didnt see any change, but later the school became mixed, boys and girls.
John

redgreggie
11th July 2006, 21:17
I spent my time at Seahouses Secondary Modern School, Northumberland and our adopted vessel was a Bannanna Boat,

I gather from your post that adopted ships was perhaps a common thing for schools, I wonder if they still do it now?
If not they should be ashamed of themselves!

Pat McCardle
11th July 2006, 21:51
I spent my time at Seahouses Secondary Modern School, Northumberland and our adopted vessel was a Bannanna Boat,

So the English Grammar was poor there Nev. 'Too many N's' Ha!! (EEK)

gdynia
11th July 2006, 22:49
I gather from your post that adopted ships was perhaps a common thing for schools, I wonder if they still do it now?
If not they should be ashamed of themselves!

I dont think they have the Deep Sea Vessels now in the UK and believe the Ship Adoption Society does not do it any more.

gdynia
11th July 2006, 22:52
So the English Grammar was poor there Nev. 'Too many N's' Ha!! (EEK)

Thanks Pat I hate the Bloody things after loading them for years.I didnt add though I played truant alot especially during Grammar Classes.

iang
20th October 2006, 08:43
SHIP ADOPTION SOCIETY

In1974-75 the affairs of the Sailors Home Trust,Red Ensign Club and Ship Adoption Society were transferred to the Marine Society. see their website.
iain

iang
20th October 2006, 08:59
Marine Society Webship:British Trader
iain

johnny steward
16th November 2006, 17:43
i remember in the early 1950 s western board school north shields, nortumberland adopted a coaster called the icemaid belonging to the gaslight and coke company and the captain or the mate would come and give us a talk we also had a picture of the ship on the school hall wall and still have my copy johnny steward

Keith Adams
16th November 2006, 18:06
Last week I posted a comment to the great color (culour)photo of the PSNC
"CUZCO" posted in Gallery and mentioned the ship was adopted by a girls`
High School in Flint North Wales... at the time of the comment I couldn`t think
of the name... it was Wellington High... they were real terrors and used to tell
tales on each other which sometimes provided jucy reading!

electricfish
27th October 2011, 11:17
I well remember the Cuzco, having done my first 2 deep sea voyages on her 1959-1960 as a very green Junior Engineer. Had some tough times, but some great and memorable times. West coast of South America was fantastic - just the smell of the tropics is unforgettable! Later I joined Port Line, for a voyage on Port Auckland to OZ and NZ. Have now lived in NZ for 48 years, and am a proud JAFA.

sparks69
27th October 2011, 22:14
Pardon my ignorance but what is a JAFA please

colin moore
31st October 2011, 21:41
the ship adoption society tried to do the best it could, the problems came when staff were cchanging on too regular a basis, and nobody kept up with the school correspondance. i did correspond with two schools during my time at sea so id did not matter which ship i was on, i could allways do a visit to the schools whilst on leave. i did two schools, one a middle school in Northampton and one the habberdashers askes in london, had some pleasant visits and happy memories.

kauvaka
1st November 2011, 04:48
Sparks, it's what the rest of NZ calls anyone living in Auckland -" Just Another Fxxxen Aucklander." Ugh! we don't do that in Auckland sort of thing.

kauvaka
1st November 2011, 04:52
Sparks. Just Another Fu**en Aucklander.

Mick farmer
1st November 2011, 21:17
I was on a ship that was adopted by a school in the midlands somewhere

It was either the British Ardour or British Birch

sparks69
2nd November 2011, 01:47
Sparks. Just Another Fu**en Aucklander.

Thanks ..................... I was in Auckland in March this year [holiday]it appeared to be different from the rest of NZ.
The waiter in the cafe in Ponsonby said they were very "cosmopolitan" unlike the rest.....