Beware of Worldpay scam!

benjidog
11th July 2006, 23:43
Like me you may get an email claiming to be from a credit card settling company called WorldCom apparently from someone called David Kellick - though other names could be used. It is craftily worded to suggest that you have a credit problem.

I just checked this out with the Worldpay site (they are a reputable company) and it is a scam with a dangerous attachment. If you get an email of this kind permanently delete it - whatever you do DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!

Brian

treeve
12th July 2006, 00:53
There are hundreds of these scams ...
either pretending to be ebay or paypal,
or some bank or other ...
Plain fact is, none of the banks will
send out email messages like these. It is almost always done
by letter.
I have my Outlook Express set so the Preview window is not
open, that way no email is opened unless I want to.
I also check suspect emails by using the "properties"
function, which leads to the "message source" window.
That way you can see what's in it without letting
any virus or spyware on the loose.
I have my message rules set up to delete anything
with "bank" or "credit rating" and other such expressions
so the message gets deleted automatically.

Be vigilant,

Best Wishes
Raymond

john shaw
12th July 2006, 00:56
As stated, one of many.Don't open attachments to any of 'em.

Of note-- my system runs Avast antivirus, and this particular spoof email was clearly annotated by avast as being infected-- I just deleted it.

moaf
12th July 2006, 01:23
I have never had any problems receiving infected emails with Hotmail, it is always put in junk email folders. Microsoft seem to be their own worst enemy sometimes with their programs

treeve
12th July 2006, 10:17
Most Junk email I get is from hotmail, yahoo or msn addresses,
so they all go in the bin. So I have over-riders to filter out
the genuine addresses so they will go into a "holding tank"
to be checked out.

Mad Landsman
12th July 2006, 20:49
Most British based Banks have some kind of security section, which usualy has a dedicated e-mail address. I keep these in my address book and when I receive any 'phishing' or similar I just forward it to the Bank. Hopefully they can use the message source and get an idea of the problem, even if they only collate it.

non descript
12th July 2006, 21:01
Most British based Banks have some kind of security section, which usualy has a dedicated e-mail address. I keep these in my address book and when I receive any 'phishing' or similar I just forward it to the Bank. Hopefully they can use the message source and get an idea of the problem, even if they only collate it.

Clockman,
That is a useful move and I am sure it is appreciated. What is very useful, is if one can also include the "Internet Headers" as that way the banks can access the IP address and other data that came with the original email. On Outlook, right click on the message and then use "options" from the pull down menu - cut&paste text that into the message for forwarding to the bank.

Mad Landsman
12th July 2006, 21:12
Further to that Tonga,
I used to do just that, unfortunately those I received recently seem to have some kind of 'block' on them which prevents me from adding any cover-line or additional info.
These guys are getting smart!

MIG.

non descript
12th July 2006, 22:46
MIG,
Fair comment and you are correct. - meantime, my apologies, it looks as thought I was "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" - that was not my intention and I am sorry if it appeared that way
Kind regards
Tonga