Sir William Hoy

david smith
22nd September 2004, 10:01
South African Railways tug Sir William Hoy

Fairfield
22nd September 2004, 11:55
Sir William Hoy, South African railway's Durban tug.

Love the railway tugs-any more?

david smith
22nd September 2004, 16:45
Two S.A. Railway tugs at Capetown. I believe the larger tug is the Danie Hugo ('59 812tg) and the smaller the Pilot/Harbour vessel Cecil G White ('59 111tg)

Fairfield
23rd September 2004, 15:15
Two S.A. Railway tugs at Capetown. I believe the larger tug is the Danie Hugo ('59 812tg) and the smaller the Pilot/Harbour vessel Cecil G White ('59 111tg)
Brilliant stuff.A great many were Clyde built.DANIE H,FC STURROCK and JR MORE were the last of a long line.Saw the last two fitting out.Good that JR MORE has been preserved.

Ken Malcolm
12th October 2004, 20:30
How we have thrown our maritime heritage away!

The tugs in the Cape Town pic are as identified. Danie Hugo was scrapped in Walvis Bay in the early '80's, CG White was converted to a trawler and eventually lost in the mid '90's. Sir William Hoy was the world's most powerful tug on delivery, and served until 1979 when she was withdrawn and laid up in Durban. The subject of intense campaigning for preservation, she was vandalised badly, and as a result, the Railways saw her fit only for scrap, and she was broken up in Durban Aug-Nov 1982!!!.

J R More is still preserved in Dbn, with the pilot tug Ulundi (1927) on the dockside, as part of the Port Natal Maritime Museum.

david smith
12th October 2004, 22:20
Thanks Ken, My photos are now complete! These are some of the most recognisable vessels, along with the steam train engines seen into the eighties, working the ports of South Africa. The only other steam engine I remember in my nautical days was the crane at Avonmouth Drydock - no comparison!