Volunteer-run ships

j_pilborough
12th July 2006, 20:50
Are there any societies that run ships such as paddle steamers with volunteer crews or maintainence workers in a similar manner to preserved railways?

Or is just too boring or impossible legally?

benjidog
12th July 2006, 21:13
Welcome to the site.

I can't answer your question personally but I am sure one of the members will help if they can.

You may like to check out the existing threads by using the "Search Forums" tool at the top of each SN screen.

In any case enjoy the site - there is a lot to see here if you are interested in ships in any way at all.

Regards,

Brian

Hugh MacLean
12th July 2006, 21:22
Welcome aboard, J_pilborough Enjoy the site.

The site below is dedicated to preserving the steam tug Daniel Adamson and has a volunteer crew.

http://www.danieladamson.com/daabout/daabout.htm
Rgds

R58484956
12th July 2006, 21:23
Welcome j_pilborough to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

j_pilborough
12th July 2006, 22:20
Thankyou for your welcomes and the link (Thumb)

john strange
15th July 2006, 07:38
Are there any societies that run ships such as paddle steamers with volunteer crews or maintainence workers in a similar manner to preserved railways?

Not sure about other parts of the globe, but here in Oz there are a number of replica ships in operation that have volunteer crews on board. One the 'Enterprize', replica of the ship that brought the first explorers from N.S.W. to what is now Victoria regularly sails between Victorian ports, with six regular and up to ten volunteers at a time.

Pompeyfan
15th July 2006, 09:28
Go to http://www.ss-shieldhall.co.uk She is not a Paddle Steamer, but steam and run by volunteers out of Southampton. See also my post in News and Views From the Shipping World page 2 re Medway Queen the Paddle Steamer that is being restored. David

Keith Adams
13th November 2006, 01:48
SS"JEREMIAH O`BRIEN" a WWII Liberty(1943) is managed by N.L.S.M.
(National Liberty Ship Memorial) and, except for one Shipkeeper and a Marketing Manager, we are 100% volunteer group, even when we sail,Pilots,
Tugs, etc., all donate their services. We are in San Francisco at Fishermans`
Wharf (Pier 45),go to:-www.ssjeremiahobrien.org to look us up.
The "RED OAK VICTORY" is currently being restored in Richmond, California,
where she was built in 1944 and the "LANE VICTORY" in San Pedro,California,
is very much alive and beautifully maintained. We both steamed to San Diago,
Calfornia, to take part in the "FLEET WEEK" event there.There are many other
smaller vessels around, all run by volunteers.

oglebilluk
13th November 2006, 10:03

Have just spotted your enquiry, there are also these 2:

www.nomadicpreservationsociety.co.uk
www.medwayqueen.co.uk

Nomadic is in Belfast and Medway Queen the Chatham area (I think)

Bill

Bob
19th November 2006, 09:00
There was but not sure if they are still, in Melbourne "The Alma Dopel" sailing ship, and the" Steam tug Wattle," there is also the "HMAS Castlemaine" in Williamstown think it was a Mine sweeper but not sure, Cheers Bob