Dunelmia - SD14. 1971 or 1977 vessel?

zelo1954
14th July 2006, 23:12
Folks:
On the British Merchant Navy site there has recently appeared a photo of an SD14 - Dunelmia of Metcalfe's:

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/dunelmia.html

Could anyone familiar with the nuances of the development of that design say if she is the 1971 or the 1977 vessel?? It looks to me like an earlier vessel in the series but there are so many detail differences in individual ships that I'd care not to be too dogmatic.

1971 vessel:
Built as DUNELMIA - then: ARDENHALL, MOOLCHAND, MASHCO STAR, DELTA II. 1993/SCRAPPED Mumbai 22 Sept 1993

1977 vessel:
Also sailed as: NEW PANDA, TRADE FORTUNE, TRADE FAIR, HALLDOR, MASHCO STAR

It does seem very unlikely though that BOTH vessels had TWO common names??

Cheers, Geoff

Dave Edge
15th July 2006, 11:16
Geoff,
It's the 1977 built ship. According to the book, "SD14, The Full Story" this ship, as "Halldor", was beached at Tapsakae, Thailand, on 9 April 2002 for breaking up.

muldonaich
15th July 2006, 13:26
try the denholm thread it was denholms that managed all metcalfe ships im sure someone will have sailed on her regards kev.

zelo1954
15th July 2006, 17:25
Geoff,
It's the 1977 built ship. According to the book, "SD14, The Full Story" this ship, as "Halldor", was beached at Tapsakae, Thailand, on 9 April 2002 for breaking up.
OK Dave, thanks.
Cheers, Geoff

Wee John
27th July 2006, 08:17
I sailed on the Dunelmia in 1979. She was the second Dunelmia to be owned by Metcalfes. The Wee C/E from Oban had sailed on both ships amd only he could sort out the spare gear when it came on board as we were still getting stuff that had been ordered for the first Dunelmia. A great ship with a great crowd.

muldonaich
27th July 2006, 09:55
hi john was alec macdonald chief steward on her with you regards kev.

Wee John
30th July 2006, 16:39
Sorry but no. I was on her from May till September 1979. The first C/S was new to the company, ex RN and paid off in Mauritius, after that it was Vic Green. I paid off in Silvertown, London , and I think she went to dock in Rotterdam and was then sold.
Wee John

muldonaich
30th July 2006, 18:21
i sailed with vic green he was a great guy regards kev.

roymuir
21st September 2006, 13:33
I joined Dunelmia at anchor off Southend on 3/9/79 before discharging at Silvertown. Loaded general cargo for the Gulf, discharged and anchored awaiting new owners. Taken over by Shaw Savill and went light to Bunbury to load a cargo of titanium ore for Immingham. Signed off 26/1/80.
An odd thing about her was she had no stays on the foremast although having a 100 ton jumbo.
She was definately built in 1977.

tom nicholson
22nd September 2006, 10:43
she had the largest jumbo ever fitted to an SD14 thats the reason for her heavy square shaped mast it did not need any stays.

cheers tom

2548hopw
8th October 2006, 23:05
I joined the Ardenhall (ex Dunelmia I believe) in autumn 1978 at Birkenhead. She was built in 1971 at Austin & Pickersgills. She was I believe sold to a panamanian co in 1981 and re named Moolchand. Served my time on her under a Capt Dougie Robinson Steve !!.

terval
4th November 2006, 10:48
Greetings. Nice to see queries on the Dunelmia. I sailed on her several times with the Late Alec Stuart as master. We were on a Safmarine charter, Liverpool to all ports in SA. I had to test the jumbo and put 110 tons on her. Then I found the sheaves on the head blocks were worn through and needed replacement. That was from Mar 78 to Jan 79. The first one was from Nov 74 to Mar 75. I was lucky enough to sail on all the Metcalfe ships . Industria, Fidentia and both Dunelmia's. We handed the Industria over to new owners in Marseilles in July 74.
regards
Terry.

muldonaich
4th November 2006, 15:18
Greetings. Nice to see queries on the Dunelmia. I sailed on her several times with the Late Alec Stuart as master. We were on a Safmarine charter, Liverpool to all ports in SA. I had to test the jumbo and put 110 tons on her. Then I found the sheaves on the head blocks were worn through and needed replacement. That was from Mar 78 to Jan 79. The first one was from Nov 74 to Mar 75. I was lucky enough to sail on all the Metcalfe ships . Industria, Fidentia and both Dunelmia's. We handed the Industria over to new owners in Marseilles in July 74.
regards
Terry.hi terry i ndid a run job on fidentia london to belfast in july 71 peter hagerty was mate jj rose was old man regards kev.

terval
5th November 2006, 11:30
Greetings. I relieved Peter Haggerty in Dagenham if memory serves. That was in July 71. I don't know if Peter did it but someone put a cement box around the suction pipe in the forepeak and we couldn't access 75 tons of Fresh water on a trip round the Cape from London to Karachi. i paid off in Hamburg Dec 71. Mad George MacIntosh was Master.
regards
Terry(Thumb)

John Cassels
5th November 2006, 11:59
That would have been "Trumix" Brown.

JC

muldonaich
5th November 2006, 15:08
That would have been "Trumix" Brown.

JChi john and who is truemix brown.

John Cassels
6th November 2006, 09:16
A "super" in the 80's who'se answer to everything was a cement box.

Heard a rumour that he once ordered it by the truck load.

How's life Kevin ?.

JC

Stephen J. Card
7th November 2006, 17:58
hi terry i ndid a run job on fidentia london to belfast in july 71 peter hagerty was mate jj rose was old man regards kev.

I got to know JJ Rose when I was living in Plymouth in the late 80's. He fell off a ladder while painting his roof and unfortunately suffered fatal head injuries. Denholms called and asked if I would represent then at the funeral. This was about 1989 I guess.

Anyhow, his daughter have me a pair of his cufflinks.... nice enamel pieces with the Diamond D flag. I wear them to this day.

Stephen

Gulpers
7th November 2006, 21:12
How sad Stephen. Sailed with JJ as Old Man on Erskine Bridge - he was a character and a true gentleman.
Hadn't he served his time on Grand Bank schooners?

jig
24th December 2006, 02:33
Hello
My first trip deep sea was on the Dunelmia, joined in Immingham 1971
sailed middle trade. then to south africa. up to Bandur shapour with Irainian flag on funnel shot at by Iraq gun boats near Khorrmashar. 6 Chieftains tanks with full crew. We where in Jeddah when they beheaded the Princess & her Boy friend. On to japan. Turbo fan Blower?
explodeD Summarita Straits aug/sep, Commie/Chinese gun boat on port side
Nat/chinese on starboard side, US airforce above. finally towed to Taiwain
then onto Kowloon,s H.U.D. for 3 months. all crew got £650.00 insurance money. Sat through Typhon tied up to the old QE 1 with no power. I left with a Postcard of Nathan Rd, & I was one of the lucky ones. finally made to Japan paid off in Oaska dec. So I think I would have been on the 1st one.
It would be nice if anyone out there was on this nice quite trip or knows anyone who was a shipmate.

Cheers

terval
20th February 2007, 10:31
Greetings. You seemed to have had a good time on the old Dunelmia. Was Alec Stuart master for some of the time? He died of Malaria some years ago after a holiday in Mombasa and did not take his pills. ASs he was living alone it took a few daysa for a neighbour to find him. A sad and lonely passing.
regards
Terry

ian d.cameron
20th February 2007, 21:59
i sailed on the dunelmia in 75 and alex stuart was the skipper then.
the photos on merchant navy.net and sn are of the 77 build. i have a photo of the 71 build, but it is a wee touch to big for my scanner, i'll get it reduced and post it soon.

KenLin39
20th February 2007, 23:47
Hi. The whole of Metcalfe 50 year fleet of 9 ship photos are shown in the site below, when in site scroll down to 7th Feb. Ken. (Thumb)

http://riversea.tugtalk.co.uk/memories/cards.htm

ian d.cameron
23rd February 2007, 11:37
hey Ken, thanks for that photo, good one with the sticks flying.
i tried posting mine but the file was to big, but i managed to get it on to brians site, merchant navy.net it will be with the 77 build sometime later to-day.
you can see some evey noticeable differences with the sticks housed.
regards.Ian

alanmarshall
7th March 2007, 12:07
I sailed on her in November 74 on my first trip as Catering Boy From Birkenhead (Vittoria Dock) to to South Africa.Master was Alec Stuart Chief Steward was Sandy Don from Alloa, Chief Cook was Peter Marshall (no relation) Micky Hopkins and Peter ???? (EDH's) Alfie and Murdo (Deck Boys- first trippers too) Wullie McFarlane and Murdo ???? ( Asst Stewards)were all great lads.These guys took me for the first time to the First Pub The Royal Duke( Now that was an education!!).When we left there were still a lot of Dockers aboard finishing the Cargo (a lot of whisky and beer if I remember correctly) who we had to drop off on the Mersey a lot worse for wear . We first went to Capetown,then Port Elizabeth (where we were anchored off for 3 weeks,including Christmas and New Year, and I will never forget the sight and sounds of 70 other ships anchored with us at 12.00 New Year) and Durban, Back to Capetown where I got drunk with some of the Lads and Awoke wiyh my first Tattoos. She then sailed onto Walvis Bay then up to Hamburg and Bremen where I paid off in March and flew home for my Mam's 2nd wedding. I must say that was one of the best trips I ever sailed, A wonderful happy Ship and a great bunch of lads.

alanmarshall
7th March 2007, 17:12
Folks:
On the British Merchant Navy site there has recently appeared a photo of an SD14 - Dunelmia of Metcalfe's:

Could anyone familiar with the nuances of the development of that design say if she is the 1971 or the 1977 vessel?? It looks to me like an earlier vessel in the series but there are so many detail differences in individual ships that I'd care not to be too dogmatic.

1971 vessel:
Built as DUNELMIA - then: ARDENHALL, MOOLCHAND, MASHCO STAR, DELTA II. 1993/SCRAPPED Mumbai 22 Sept 1993

1977 vessel:
Also sailed as: NEW PANDA, TRADE FORTUNE, TRADE FAIR, HALLDOR, MASHCO STAR

It does seem very unlikely though that BOTH vessels had TWO common names??

Cheers, Geoff

This is definately the 1971 vessel, I sailed on her in 1974/5 The picture on merchant Navy site is the one I posted, which was given me by Denholms

Dick S
17th March 2007, 01:44
Sad to hear about JJ Rose as you say he was a gentleman but I think he was not in the best of health when I sailed with him, see post JJ Denholm, Troll Park.

I remember some of lost relatives of his coming to see him in Halifax and them not recognising each other.

Sorry not really Dunelmia but forgive intrusion

Dick

alanmarshall
24th March 2007, 17:54
Hi terry, I was Galley boy on the Nov 74-Mar75 trip Liverpool- South Africa

terval
21st June 2007, 11:04
Greetings Alan. Nice to see your input on that trip. I was Mate. Do you remember the dolphins on a mating spree off Port Elizabeth? Or the sudden gale we had when most of the ships dragged their anchors? Or the 40 gallon drum of Castle Lager dumps we had to throw overboard in the gulf? As you say it was a great trip particularly as we found a lot of air rifles in open stow.
Best of Luck.
Terry.

alanmarshall
23rd July 2007, 21:44
Hello Terry, nice to hear from you, I do seem to remember yourself and Capt Stewart firing the air rifles on the bridge at sea. Can you remember on the homeward journey in the bay of Biscay when the deck hands had to jettison all of the gas canisters which were lashed to the foc'sle, in a force 9, it was St patrick's day and all of the scouse EDH's were pissed. Best wishes Alan Marshall

James MacDonald
28th July 2007, 13:23
I sailed with Capt J J Rose on the Inverewe for 8 months running up the Great lakes in 65.He was a nice old guy but a bit eccentric. Chippie had to hide his tools as JJ would nick them to do jobs about the ship.

Alfalfa
2nd February 2008, 22:31
I remember those gas canisters alright - I was the Sparks on that trip who had to put out a nav warning when hundreds of 'em went overboard in Biscay. I remember the seas coming over the foc'sle and lifting the empty canisters up and eventually out of their lashings.
Mind you it could have been a lot worse. We were originally supposed to carry a deck cargo of live zebra's and a couple of handlers from Walvis Bay to Hamburg Zoo, but it was called off at the last minute, so I think the gas canisters were a substitute. I could have been transmitting a nav warning to beware of swimming zebra's! (==D)

Jeez! - Do you know, that was almost 34 years ago?

R58484956
3rd February 2008, 13:35
Greetings Alfalfa and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Bon voyage.

ruud
5th May 2008, 10:56
Ahoy,
I recently got a few hundred SD-14's[photos/data],and just passing by this one,but still a huge amount to go.
DUNELMIA [1]
1969 Order to built a SD-14 by owner Metcalfe,Son & Co.-Hartlepool
Lloydsnumber:7038599
Build:1971
Wharf:Austin & Pickersgill Ltd[Southwick Shipyard]-Sunderland
Build nr:[871]
Type: Tweendecker[general cargo]
Build as DUNELMIA[1]
Owner/Manager:Metcalfe Shipping Co.Ltd-Hartlepool
P.o.R.:Hartlepool
Flag:GB
LOA:141 x 20,48 x 8,86 mtrs
Tons: 9177 BRT-6171NRT-15149DWT
Launched on 30-11-1970
Eng.:2SA 5Cy.Sulzer 7500bhp-5595kW[George Clark & N.E.M. Ltd.]
Spd.:14 knots
Delivered:12-03-1971
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1949/dunelmia1971jhanderiessgj0.jpg

©J.H.Anderiesse
History:
1973 Whilst underway from Durban to Japan,fire in engineroom,the DUNELMIA went to Hong Kong for repair,where she arrived on 25-9-1973
---
1976 ARDENHALL
Owner:West Hartlepool Steam Navigation Co.Ltd.
Same P.o.R./Flag
Manager:Metcalfe
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/749/ardenhall1976exdunelmiaty8.jpg

©J.H.Anderiesse
---
1981 MOOLCHAND
Owner: Cross Point Shipping Corp.-Monrovia
P.o.R./Flag:Panama
Manager:SL Sethia Liners Ltd.-London
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/344/moolchand1981exdunelmiagi3.jpg

©L.Bosschaart
---
1986 MOOLCHAND
Manager:Aris Ship Management-London
---
1987 MOOLCHAND
Manager: Nerofleet Ltd.-London
---
1989 MASCHO STAR
Owner:Marsay Shipping Corp-Monrovia
P.o.R./Flag: Panama
Manager:Nerofleet Ltd.-London
---
1992 DELTA II
Owner/Manager Delta One-Dubai
P.o.R.:Kingston
Flag:St.Vincent & Grenadines
---
1993 On voyage from Jubail to Madras,after severe weather condition,water entered in the engineroom,and she forced to drop ancher on 7-8-1993 near Bombay roads.
The DELTA II was decleared total-loss and sold to a local shipbreaker,and was beached on 22-9-1993 at Bombay and scrapped.

Hope this helps,and will post some more SD-14's soon as I'm finished scanning all that stuff.

ian d.cameron
27th May 2008, 10:43
This was a head banger to resolve.
The dilemma of witch photo on http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/dunelmia.html was the 1971 build had me a wee bit worried. Even though I bought the photo while I was working on her (01/04/75 – 16/07/75) I still downloaded Alan’s photo to my album just in case I had the wrong one.
But Ruud as found the answer
The clues are: The Derricks and the Panama lead at the Shoulder.
The first picture of Ruud's is DUNELMIA 1971 build, shows the Panama lead, and again as ARDENHALL the lead is shown.
As the MOOLCHAND the Derricks of number one,two and four hatches are housed with a downward slope.

David Wilcockson
27th May 2008, 12:22
ian d. cameron
The vessel in your photo differs from Ruud`s by a couple of small details I can see. Lifeboats carried one deck lower & `jumbo` derricks & heavy mast would appear to be reversed, there may well be other pointers I`ve missed. I hope this helps you out in some way.
Rgds,
David

ian d.cameron
27th May 2008, 14:07
Sorry David but canít see it. Lifeboats are level with navigation lights on wing of bridge. Alanís photo has them lower. Jumbos aft of masts forward ends of two and four hatches

David Wilcockson
27th May 2008, 17:26
Ian
There were two vessels of that name, both SD14`s built in for Metcalfe`s, one in 1971 of 9177 gt, and the other in 1977 of 9346 gt. I feel the upper one in your shots was the `71 built. I still stand by the comments I made at #36, I just hope this is not confusing the issue.
Regards,
David

ian d.cameron
27th May 2008, 20:37
No problem David debate makes the world go round.
Just canít see these two vessels being the same ship
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=42685
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/344/moolchand1981exdunelmiagi3.jpg
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/113026

steven1960
17th July 2008, 23:54
HI, I sailed on the Dunelmia twice in the 70s. joined her in porto cabello at anchor dec 78, she had sailed from japan and we were at anchor for about 3 weeks waiting for a berth. I am certain this is the ship i was on and it is the 77 build,

sam2182sw
8th December 2009, 17:01
Hi lads i am looking for a photo of the old Dunelmia 1952 for a book i am writing i was working on her in the dry dock in Hull it was at the time that J.F.KENNEDY was shot can any of you help sam2182sw

K urgess
9th December 2009, 17:55
I've sent you a PM Sam with a couple of links to pictures of the one you want.
Cheers
Kris