Fleet deployment due to Lebanon conflict

Gavin Gait
15th July 2006, 21:46
Just been announced by the MOD that HMS Illustrious and HMS Bulwark will sail for the Eastern Med immediately from GIB instead of returning home as she was due to do tomorrow. Also HMS Ark Royal will sail ASAP from the UK to Cyprus incase they're needed to evacuate UK civilian's trapped in the Lebanon.

More when , or if , any new anouncements come out( this info from SKY news)

Davie

Paul UK
15th July 2006, 22:25
I thought the Ark was in bits at rosyth.

Paul

Santos
15th July 2006, 22:38
She probably is, and without an Air Group as well.

Chris

Gavin Gait
16th July 2006, 00:00
She is certainally in Rosyth , my Sister and her family were thru her during the annual open day either last week or the week before. I thought she might be rushed thru or it would probably be easier to reactivate the Invincible since she's not in pieces scattered all over Rosyth !!!. As for an airwing I doubt that would be a problem as they're only looking to Evac civillians so she would only need helicopters not Harriers ( unless this idiot of a PM wants to join Israel in bombing the Lebanon !! )

Davie

terence
16th July 2006, 00:44
hey old bosun cant seam to post new thread

Paul UK
16th July 2006, 12:10
She is certainally in Rosyth , my Sister and her family were thru her during the annual open day either last week or the week before. I thought she might be rushed thru or it would probably be easier to reactivate the Invincible since she's not in pieces scattered all over Rosyth !!!. As for an airwing I doubt that would be a problem as they're only looking to Evac civillians so she would only need helicopters not Harriers ( unless this idiot of a PM wants to join Israel in bombing the Lebanon !! )

Davie

No Davie

Tony will only attack if george lets him as for the Invincible if she was reactivated instead of putting the Ark back together would that not mean that we need three flat tops and that the invincible was still needed.

No the more expensive route and best time delay put the Ark back together then bring her back and take her back to bits then do the refit.

Makes sense (I think)

Paul

wigger
16th July 2006, 14:04
Any idea where HMS Ocean is at present?. She is just as suitable as any of carriers "IF" any other vessel was needed.

Paul UK
16th July 2006, 14:35
Any idea where HMS Ocean is at present?. She is just as suitable as any of carriers "IF" any other vessel was needed.

Probably in or around Devonport as she was to host a visit from the Queen but this was cancelled as she has an outbreak of TB on board.

Paul

rushie
16th July 2006, 17:56
HMS Ocean never seems to move...!!!....too expensive perhaps...?!!

Paul UK
16th July 2006, 18:56
re my last post above I do of course mean Hms Ocean has an outbreak of TB on board not the queen as it looks

Paul

yorky jim
16th July 2006, 19:07
It appears the navy HAS again been caught with her knicker,s at half mast.
it is not that we have on interests abroad these days ,but shed loads of our people all over the world.
and they dont,want to be caught up in any thing ,when some politician throws there toys out of the pram, time and time again they try to take short cuts to save money.
on the news is has shown ILLUSTRIOUS and BULWARK but who was that small ship in the back ground?
and once we get there ,which side are we going to be on?
they both have a huge coast line to cover.
Aan who else is going to turn up?

rushie
16th July 2006, 19:25
Nice one Yorky Jim...and how so true....

Expect the Argie Navy to be sailing to regain the Falklands as we speak....it'll be a doddle...

We'll be there in 2 months....perhaps just make the new Mayoral parade..?!!!

To everyone who went there last time....I salute you.

Rushie.

jbryce
16th July 2006, 20:54
According to the July Navy News, Ark Royal is due back in Portsmouth in December, after trials.
Illustrious Gloucester and Fort Victoria presently form the Aquila06 task group, whilst Bulwark, St Albans, Bayleaf and Diligence are in the Northern Gulf.
It would probably be quicker and cheaper to charter a cruise ship out of Greece ;-)

Gavin Gait
16th July 2006, 21:26
Hmmm the news stated that Bulwark was in northern Spain ????????

Saying that it was only Sky News that reported that so i'm not putting any weight behind that "story" as they've been very very wrong in the past.

Davie

yorky jim
17th July 2006, 16:58
this is the time WHEN we could do with FEARLESS AND INTREPID.
Even getting ashore ,if they would allow us to.
it is better than getting a ship together who is in bits ,than flashing one up that has been laid up.
they may STILL be a need if it really gets out of hand ,and i am not only thinking of there,we were at it in the 1980,s.
a thought for the wise.

Paul UK
17th July 2006, 17:32
I can not confirm it but I have heard that Fearless was towed away last week.

Paul

Peter4447
17th July 2006, 18:22
My understanding is that Intrepid was literally dropping to pieces some years ago and the Fearless was not much better but when politicians are involved always it is the same old story: God and the Navy we adore, When danger threatens but not before'.
Peter4447

Santos
17th July 2006, 19:41
My understanding is that Intrepid was literally dropping to pieces some years ago and the Fearless was not much better but when politicians are involved always it is the same old story: God and the Navy we adore, When danger threatens but not before'.
Peter4447

AMEN (Sad)

Hugh MacLean
17th July 2006, 20:08
From the BBC News site:

UK 'faces Dunkirk-style pullout'

The operation to rescue thousands of Britons from Lebanon could become the UK's largest evacuation since Dunkirk, a Foreign Office minister has said.

--------------------------------------
Lets hope we don't need the small boats.

Rgds

rushie
17th July 2006, 20:29
It seems quite incredible that there are an estimated 10,000 Brits in Lebanon....what do they do...?!!

Santos
17th July 2006, 20:33
Stay out of the clutches of Tony Blair !!!!!!!!!!!

Peter4447
17th July 2006, 22:13
Brilliant Santos!

yorky jim
18th July 2006, 18:31
now there is H.M.S GLOUCESTER along side ,i just hope we have the S.B.S there too
and as cyprus can not hold all the bods,as JBRYCE said they should have charted a few cruise ships at lest they can be looked after for a longer time if needs be .i just wonder who if any have thought this job out properly.
i can see rather a good few holes in it.

John Rogers
18th July 2006, 19:40
I just saw on TV where the ferries and helicopters are taking them to Cyprus (50 miles),then right to the airport where planes are waiting. A Marine Assault Ship is on its way through the Suez with lots of helicopters on board,it should be there tomorrow.
John

jbryce
18th July 2006, 20:35
now there is H.M.S GLOUCESTER along side ,i just hope we have the S.B.S there too
and as cyprus can not hold all the bods,as JBRYCE said they should have charted a few cruise ships at lest they can be looked after for a longer time if needs be .i just wonder who if any have thought this job out properly.
i can see rather a good few holes in it.
Its a long standing tradition in the UK to learn from our mistakes! (*))

Paul UK
18th July 2006, 21:24
Hms Gloucester has sailed with 180 refugees on board

Paul

only another 9820 to go

yorky jim
19th July 2006, 07:12
thats if none have given birth ,best of luck to them all.

iantait
20th July 2006, 11:07
I dont think we were slow in acting her you just cant go batterin into a war zone without some form of agreements from the warring factions and you have to have the right type of vessels which is why york and gloucester were first in I'm watching Bulwark alongside now on sky news

yorky jim
22nd July 2006, 15:27
just heard this morning ,of the israel,s navy have fired missiles into hezbollah targets.
if they reply lets hope of NO mistakes.
We dont want any going astray and hitting other ships,
other wise that would put the cat among the pigeons.

Bison
24th July 2006, 16:32
The British are very good at evacuations, Dunkirk Suez Aden now Lebanon, on second thoughts Aden was a cok up

yorky jim
5th August 2006, 15:55
(Fly) after all the news coverage we had a couple of weeks ago ,of all the royal navy ship,s heading for the lebanon,we have not heard a wordfrom them since.
what are they doing now ,they must HAVE sailed off to cyprus or malta waiting to see if our P.M is going to put his foot in it AGAIN. (Cloud)

yorky jim
5th August 2006, 17:10
ILLUSTRIOUS and GLOUCESTER have returned home ,but for the rest are we just showing the flag.

iantait
5th August 2006, 22:13
I haven't seen anything on Plymouth movements thro till Monday so maybe Bulwark has stayed in the area as she has Royals onboard but then again she wont get home as fast as Lusty or Gloucester as she only plods along and York will stay out there as she was already in area as part of a NATO group

fullaheadengines
6th August 2006, 02:04
Bulwark due in Devonport on the 15th August.

yorky jim
20th August 2006, 18:54
in the papers it showed another frigate being dispatched lebanon.