SS Sheildhall

STRAWBERRY
17th July 2006, 20:29
As part of Portland Port's 10 year anniversery of taking over from Portland Naval Base in 1996, The Company invited all of the Employees for a 4 hour trip on the SS Sheildhall. Followed by a BBQ and Live entertainment.
This was the first time that I had been on the Sheildhall, (having towed her into Weymouth a few years ago during bad weather) I must say, that I very much enjoyed the trip. The volunteer crew were all very friendly, and I spent a lot of time talking to them. The ship itself has been very well maintained and all done with voluntary crew. We were allowed to wander freely with visits to the Engine Room and Wheelhouse, and I left with a feeling of satisfaction of a wonderful trip. My thanks go to all the voluntary crew and patrons of the Sheildhall, and I would recommend that the next time she is in your neck of the woods, go say hello... they will welcome you aboard with open arms. If you have a few pennies to spend, then a little donation will help this oldtimer steam for many more miles. Andy

vchiu
28th July 2006, 20:48
I think you mean SS Shieldhall

http://www.ss-shieldhall.co.uk/

A very fine ship that is a living proof of the dedication and the hard work of willing volunteers.

non descript
9th September 2006, 18:53
As part of Portland Port's 10 year anniversery of taking over from Portland Naval Base in 1996, The Company invited all of the Employees for a 4 hour trip on the SS Sheildhall. Followed by a BBQ and Live entertainment.
This was the first time that I had been on the Sheildhall, (having towed her into Weymouth a few years ago during bad weather) I must say, that I very much enjoyed the trip. The volunteer crew were all very friendly, and I spent a lot of time talking to them. The ship itself has been very well maintained and all done with voluntary crew. We were allowed to wander freely with visits to the Engine Room and Wheelhouse, and I left with a feeling of satisfaction of a wonderful trip. My thanks go to all the voluntary crew and patrons of the Sheildhall, and I would recommend that the next time she is in your neck of the woods, go say hello... they will welcome you aboard with open arms. If you have a few pennies to spend, then a little donation will help this oldtimer steam for many more miles. Andy

Andy,

Absolutely spot-on with the comments - the Shieldhall is a lovely ship and a joy to all those passengers who are lucky enough to take a trip on her.