Joya McCance - Tanker 1967-1969

malachy
18th July 2006, 17:07
HI,
Has anyone one information on the service dates with Houlders of the above tanker.did approx 6 months on her '73.
quite a fast ship and this could accountfor the amount of vibration throughout the ship[half the pipework was held together with the famous "thistle bond"!!!!]
i also remember that the cargo heating coils were not of a common size and we used to turn the olives from tubular brass in the workshop in the engine room.
was some rumour that originally built as a bulk carrier and later converted to tanker????
malachy

Thamesphil
18th July 2006, 17:44
As far as I'm aware the Joya McCance (2) was built as a tanker. Houlder had an earlier Joya McCance, an ore carrier, and you might be thinking of that.

Phil

mclean
18th July 2006, 18:04
Joya McCance, ore carrier built 1960 at W Gray&Co. loa 514 beam 69 draft 29. Regards Colin

Hugh MacLean
18th July 2006, 18:58
Joya McCance (1) Built 1960. 1967 transferred to South American Saint Line renamed St. Margaret. 11,871 tons.

Beauval Built 1964. Chartered to Shell-Mex Ltd, 1967 renamed Joya McCance (2), 1976 scrapped. 26,836 tons.

photos here: http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/joya%20macance.html

and here: http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/mccance1.htm

and a thread here: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=48150#post48150

Rgds

non descript
18th July 2006, 20:03
It is quite confusing in terms of names, as the original Joya McCance was an ore carrier built in 1960 (sister to Mabel Warwick) and she changed her name to St Margaret in 1966 and sold in 1971. Meanwhile Houlders bought a Norwegian built tanker whilst under construction and retained her named Beauval – she was built in 1964 and changed her name to Joya McCance in 1966 (when the name became available). She was sold in 1976 and broken up.

As a point of interest, she was actually a spur of the moment purchase, spotted by John Houlder for sale and matched to an amazing charter to Shell which paid a substantial bonus for anything above 15 knots – she regularly traded well in excess of this as she had a unique turn of speed. Her maiden voyage was taking Fresh Water from Amsterdam to Gibralter and loading had to be delayed as Monday was “wash day" in Amsterdam

NINJA
18th July 2006, 21:00
Ref: the "thistlebond" part of the Joya McCance thread, whilst I was on the Faraday it was consumed in great quantities due to the fact that the sea water pipework was thin wall and would crack due to any vibration. I wonder if the output from Ferguson and Timpson the manufacturers diminished with the reduction in the Merchant navy fleet. I know it was available up to five years ago.

Ninja.

malachy
19th July 2006, 08:30
tonga,
think this is one you mention for a majority of the control panels below had scandanavian text.
thanks

non descript
19th July 2006, 10:50
Malachy,
Another oddity of the Beauval was her propeller – although age tend to reduce my memory for detail, I do remember it had an obscene number of blades - like about six! The overall result was that she used to steam up the English Channel overtaking the ferries from Spain.
Tonga

non descript
15th November 2006, 15:54
AJ has kindly added an image to the gallery:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=40280

Magnus Flaws
15th November 2006, 17:58
Sailed on the Joya from 1969 to 1971, started as 5th and ended as 3rd engineer, enjoyed every trip, yes she was fast. I have photos of the control panel will have to check the language.

leo hannan
15th November 2006, 21:33
Sailed on the Joya from 1969 to 1971, started as 5th and ended as 3rd engineer, enjoyed every trip, yes she was fast. I have photos of the control panel will have to check the language.

Hi Magnus.
I signed on "Joya McCance" Dec 67 in Hamburg paid off Birkenhead Jul 68. 3rd Eng. Stan Hughes, 4th Eng. John Kincaid(died on Royston Grange) Ch. Eng was Ellis Mason or Tony Hetherington, Captain was Jim Taylor. The ship got busted for drugs in Japan, about six of the crew got jailed. Oh what stories and what memories.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Magnus Flaws
16th November 2006, 20:51
Hi Leo

Tony Hethrington was chief for a couple of trips when I was on the Joya a great chief, Fred Capstik was extra second and I still hear from him at Xmas.As you say lots of stories and memories

notnila
16th November 2006, 21:02
I joined the "Beauval" after the Seamans Strike in1966 and did a 3 month trip.I've recently seen a picture of her as the "Joya McCance" dated about the same time. Can anyone put me right?

non descript
16th November 2006, 22:06
Notnila, yes you are correct - it is the same one and I have merged the two threads as it is a common theme and you will find the information about her on this one.

leo hannan
17th November 2006, 13:47
Hi Leo

Tony Hethrington was chief for a couple of trips when I was on the Joya a great chief, Fred Capstik was extra second and I still hear from him at Xmas.As you say lots of stories and memories

Hi Magnus.
Your right about Tony Hethrington, a superb guy. I think I sailed with Fred Capstick on the Hardwicke Grange in the 60's. Am I right in saying he was from Tyneside area? Mention my name(Leo Hannan) I was Captain's Tiger at the time. I last sailed with Tony on the Furness Bridge but haven't heard of him since.
Regards
Leo
PS Although I might have sailed with Fred on the Joya McCance as 3rd Eng. Ronnie Marr was Junior 2nd. Eng at the time.

Steve Dandridge
19th July 2007, 06:53
Hello to you all , My Name is Steve Dandridge . I joined The Beauval In Christiansans South , Norway As a first Trip D H U , For Her Maiden Voyage . About a 6 Month Trip Ending in Cork If i Remember correctly , Good Days !1

non descript
19th July 2007, 08:30
Steve, a warm welcome to you on your first posting. Looking at the port that you joined her, I suspect this was on her delivery into Houlders? She was a very fine ship and very speedy.

notnila
19th July 2007, 22:56
We were still eating Norweigen tinned herring in sundry sauces when I sailed in her!!!
Regards Arch.

non descript
19th July 2007, 23:39
Arch,

That is very true... and endless tubes of Norwegian Shrimp Paste, that not only looked like toothpaste, but tasted a bit like it also. (Jester)

saltyswamp
19th July 2007, 23:44
Hi Just found thread I was eng cadet jan74 to june74 stan jacobson was old man. and he paid for all our drinks on the flight home from Philly
stuart(Pint)

non descript
17th August 2008, 23:02
Hi Just found thread I was eng cadet jan74 to june74 stan jacobson was old man. and he paid for all our drinks on the flight home from Philly
stuart(Pint)

Yes Stuart, that would be just like him him - a very decent man. (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
7th December 2008, 13:36
My first ship with Houlders, signed on Birkenhead Feb 69 and did two trips paying off in London Aug 69. Captains Dixon and Jackson in command. Trips down to Bonny Bonny W Africa and the rest of the time spent around the Carribean mainly. A good ship and the start of a 17 year career with Houlders.
Alan T.

merrymagpie
7th December 2008, 18:42
October 75 as last trip Cadet . Joined the 'Joya' in Melbourne after a two day flight (remember the KLM flights Houlders used to put us on - went all around the houses). Loaded FO for Long Beach then a ballast passage to Fateh Terminal and Ras Tanura to load crude for Dakar.Master was Dave Luff and C/O John Yeo. The Deck cadets amongst us who sailed with John will remember the weekly orals sessions when he would test us on Flags, Rules of the road, buoyage etc. Sailed with John a few years later on the CYS Mariner, when he was Master.Can't remember all the Engineers but Normaan Brook was 5/E, Big Malcolm Lidstone Green was the E/Cadet and I'm sure 'Shagger' Ford was the 3/E

Mike

holystone
10th March 2009, 13:39
Greetings! I was on the Beauval on its maiden voyage out of Kristiansand, sailed as 3/O. Had a good run ashore when in Gib with a cargo of fresh water from Amsterdam, pipeline was very small so we had a several days in port to discharge. Beauval was quite fast, we frequently did 18 knts I seem to recall. The crew quarters were good and I the bridge had twin radars.

Captain was W Brett but I can't remember the other deck officers names.

When in Gib we had a visit from a German Captain of ex E-Boat, involved in smuggling cigarettes to Italy. The E-Boat was stripped down, no weapons and only one engine but still very fast. Amazingly her Captain offered me a job, I even considered it for a few hours, talked to Captain Brett who advised me that I would be blacklisted in UK MN if I jumped ship but he wouldn't stop me. Then I thought about Italian prisons if we got caught and decided against it.

We had 2nd mate who left in Singapore to take up a job with MOD, running supply craft supporting army in Indonesian ops. he had a Russian revolver and manual I got translated just before he left. I left Beaval in Cork having been aboard from Oct 64 to May 65. Long enough as most trips were Gulf to Euroe with 24 hours turnaround, no fun!

Next ship was Oreton, a miserable sea ship which spent most of its time doing Sept Islands run to Manchester ship canal, we frequently never saw the sun right across the Atlantic. Last Captain was Cpt Leach, a very nice guy. sailed on that June 65 - Dec 65. Did some port time on Royston Grange and Hardwick Grange, then left sea approx March 66.

Switched to IT nerd ending up with IBM UK 3 years and IBM USA 30 years based in North Carolina. Still dream about ships!

Mike Friend Raleigh North Carolina

Bombersman
10th March 2009, 17:03
I had almost forgotten captain Brett who was on the Brandon or the Bidford at one time during the time I served on those vessels.

I seem to remember my good friend Alan Lowery (later C/E) sailing on the Beauval in her early days. Was he there at the same time as you Mike?

Regards

Bob W.

holystone
10th March 2009, 17:56
Sorry can't recall any Beauval names now, I was pals with a few junior engineers and the sparky, I have a photo of sparks somewhere, his shack was considered very well equipped he told me. Went ashore with jnr engs when we hit decent ports which was not often.

Brett was perhaps in early 60's even then, was a bit crusty and did not trust the radar at all, preferred to be out on the wing during fog. He once berated me for constantly scanning the radar screen, even though we could detect ships miles away. Otherwise he was pretty good, left me alone during watches.
Brett was also on one the Granges during port refit in Liverpool approx Feb 1966, I was there doing nothing for 2 or 3 weeks.

mf

Bombersman
10th March 2009, 18:38
Your description of Captain Brett coincides with my somewhat blurred memory of him.

As the memory banks churn over, I am almost certain that a chief engineer that I sailed with on the Brandon Priory, a certain Hartley Read from South Shields, also sailed on the Beauval in her early days.

I was quite taken aback years later to see Hartley Read interviewed at a northern shipyard (Haverton Hill?), where he held some exalted rank, on television in connection with the Derbyshire.

Regards

Bob W.

holystone
24th April 2009, 00:03
Sorry I forgot to reply, No I can't recall any more names aboard the Beaval. I was pals with the Sparks, he came to visit me during our leave after Cork payoff. Went to a local party where he met up with a local girl, quite a successful evening for him! Later on maybe a year or two she married a local guy who was called Sparks. a slight or maybe meaningless coincidence but one I remember.

marinero
25th April 2009, 17:28
Your description of Captain Brett coincides with my somewhat blurred memory of him.

As the memory banks churn over, I am almost certain that a chief engineer that I sailed with on the Brandon Priory, a certain Hartley Read from South Shields, also sailed on the Beauval in her early days.

I was quite taken aback years later to see Hartley Read interviewed at a northern shipyard (Haverton Hill?), where he held some exalted rank, on television in connection with the Derbyshire.

Regards

Bob W.

Hi Bob.
Could this be the Hartley (Reed) who ended up as Chief Supt. for Hadley Shipping.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

steamship
2nd April 2012, 05:42
My first ship with Houlders, signed on Birkenhead Feb 69 and did two trips paying off in London Aug 69. Captains Dixon and Jackson in command. Trips down to Bonny Bonny W Africa and the rest of the time spent around the Carribean mainly. A good ship and the start of a 17 year career with Houlders.
Alan T.
I remember capt D. R. Dixon. Was married to nice Dutch girl. We had a beard growing contest and he was mad at me for winning. That was on the Brandon. What engine did you have on the Joya?

ALAN TYLER
9th April 2012, 13:04
I remember capt D. R. Dixon. Was married to nice Dutch girl. We had a beard growing contest and he was mad at me for winning. That was on the Brandon. What engine did you have on the Joya?
Sorry can,t answer about the engine, I was the Chief Cook though it had a large galley!! I believe it was a steam turbine and had a reputation as being one of the fastest tankers of its day. Alan.

steamship
10th April 2012, 03:28
Hi Alan,
I was on the Hornby Grange then the Brandon then the Bidford. I heard the Joya McCance was fast but I thought it had a B&W Diesel. I went to the oilfields
and ended up managing operations all over the world for an American company.
Now I live happily retired in Arizona without a ship in sight.

Magnus Flaws
10th April 2012, 09:20
Definitely a steam turbine , I was an engineer on the good ship Joya and just lately found some photos taken in the engine room, which I must get posted on this site.

ALAN TYLER
10th April 2012, 16:53
Definitely a steam turbine , I was an engineer on the good ship Joya and just lately found some photos taken in the engine room, which I must get posted on this site.
Hi Magnus, just been looking at some old crew lists for 1971 (April&September) and you were 4th Eng on both on the Joya.Captains Jacobson/Luff Ch/Engs A Herrington/R Phillips 2nds V Fernand/T Brennan 3rds B Messer/N Cormack, looking on the lists the only ones I sailed with were A Herrington, P Harvey Asst/Stwd and an old mate of mine Lennie Farrar the 2nd Steward. If you want anymore names let me know, Alan

steamship
10th April 2012, 19:33
Alan,
I remember Vivian Fernand on the Bidford. He had his wife and little son with him. The little boy somehow got into Bomber's cabin and took a dump on the carpet. Quite a commotion that day but old Bomber took it well. Really funny.

Ken West
25th July 2012, 08:53
You must have been there at the same time I was on board with my wife Jane we left in Nune 1974. Best Regards Ken West

saltyswamp
28th July 2012, 23:00
You must have been there at the same time I was on board with my wife Jane we left in Nune 1974. Best Regards Ken West

Hi ken
Blast from the past I was Eng Cadet on Joya from jan 74 to june 74
via drydock in Cape Town. Trying to put faces to names

Arthur C
5th August 2012, 05:25
Hi All,
Most Steam turbine Driven ships are fast & with the multi bladed propeller mentioned previously, she would have been 'very fast'.
But unfortunately, with the fuel crisis in 1973/4 when bunker prices went through the roof, most steam ships came under financial scrutiny, as they used much more bunker fuel.
Does anyone out there remember an incident on her, which I believe happened in London, where a Houlder crew member on leave, fell off the gangway while visiting some former shipmates in London Docks & was killed,
this was very sad as he was a lovely guy known as 'Tubby', who previously had been an AB on the MV Orenda Bridge on her maiden voyage.

Arthur C.

vasco
5th August 2012, 10:45
I was not there, but from what I heard he was ashore on a stag night and went over on his way back. He was good freinds with Tim Christian.

I did my first trip as an apprentice withe Tubby, Tim, Tonto and Sunset on the Tenbury. They were great chaps who cut my hair short crossing the line.

Foxy Fowler the Old man then decreed that when I felt I could go ashore without embarresment they could. Foxy was always an Officer and Gent and I am sure he said this because he knew I would get special treatment and lots of incentives to go ashore!

I recall Tubby hurt his thumb somehow and have this vision of me calling him for duty and he just held up his thumb. It loses on paper but was quite comical.

steamship
6th August 2012, 01:29
The comment on the bunkers was correct. Both the Brandon and the Bidford
did 13 knots. The Brandon did a little more with the extra nozzles and bigger burner tips when we took an injured seaman into Mombassa.

MARINEJOCKY
6th August 2012, 02:02
The comment on the bunkers was correct. Both the Brandon and the Bidford
did 13 knots. The Brandon did a little more with the extra nozzles and bigger burner tips when we took an injured seaman into Mombassa.

You forgot to mention that the Brandon did go a bit faster but only when "both" boilers were working, which during my time was not that often.

As for the Joya, was the story about the good ship being built for some one else who backed out of the deal and then along came Hadley's (or was it Houlders) who went to the yard and saw a navy destroyer "bow" sitting in the same yard and made a deal to have that installed and discovered during the sea trials that it was very fast. Or was that some of many stories told to a naive young cadet.

PS. How you doing JP, still floating around the good old UK (Thumb)

A.D.FROST
6th August 2012, 10:56
You forgot to mention that the Brandon did go a bit faster but only when "both" boilers were working, which during my time was not that often.

As for the Joya, was the story about the good ship being built for some one else who backed out of the deal and then along came Hadley's (or was it Houlders) who went to the yard and saw a navy destroyer "bow" sitting in the same yard and made a deal to have that installed and discovered during the sea trials that it was very fast. Or was that some of many stories told to a naive young cadet.

PS. How you doing JP, still floating around the good old UK (Thumb)

1964 Launched as BEAUVAL for Biorn Bionstad,Oslo.Delivered in Houlder Bros. colours as BEAUVAL(7year charter to Shell) r/n JOYA McCANCE 1967 Ore Carriers Ltd.(Houlder Bros.)

MARINEJOCKY
6th August 2012, 12:12
1964 Launched as BEAUVAL for Biorn Bionstad,Oslo.Delivered in Houlder Bros. colours as BEAUVAL(7year charter to Shell) r/n JOYA McCANCE 1967 Ore Carriers Ltd.(Houlder Bros.)

And there was me believing that story for the past 42 years, thanks for the correction.

John P. or was it you Leo who wound me up with that destroyer story. (Jester)

Erimus
6th August 2012, 14:44
......there does seem to be some confusion betwixt the two Joya McCance names........or vessel types...

The 'original' Ore Carriers Ltd; Joya was built in Hartlepool in 1960 as was 'sister' Mabel Warwick....She became the St.Margaret in 1966 still under the Houlder Bros flag.........both vessels were under the BISC(ore) timecharter throughout...

geoff

A.D.FROST
6th August 2012, 15:55
mv JOYA McCANCE'60(Gray-Doxford)Ore-Carriers Ltd., largest ship bt. by Wm.Gray,she had a beam of 69ft.1in.(Hartlepool locks 70ft.wide)1967 transferred to South American Saint Line (HB subsidary)r/n ST.MARARET to release the name for the steam-tanker.

Erimus
6th August 2012, 17:45
mv JOYA McCANCE'60(Gray-Doxford)Ore-Carriers Ltd., largest ship bt. by Wm.Gray,she had a beam of 69ft.1in.(Hartlepool locks 70ft.wide)1967 transferred to South American Saint Line (HB subsidary)r/n ST.MARARET to release the name for the steam-tanker.

Indeed she was.....and we that were running her wanted to know if the Mabel was also going over to SASL as well..........Still wear my Ore Carriers tie from time to time........and still have a double unused pack of Houlder Bros playing cards!

geoff

marinero
7th August 2012, 14:23
And there was me believing that story for the past 42 years, thanks for the correction.

Now come on Malcolm, would I ever wind you up.

vasco
7th August 2012, 20:30

Not me, honest. Never heard that one before.

What I heard was she was bought because the Company that commissioned her couldn't/wouldn't pay and Johnny H was in the market and bought her cheap when she was built/nearly built. They then managed to 'con' Shell with a charter that paid a bonus for every 1/4 or 1/2 knot she did on voyages above a fixed speed (15knts?) which meant Houlders coined it until things got to hot then either bought themselves out or the charter ended. I believe she limped around after with only the kettle on.
I am still plying the High Seas (North, Celtic & Hebridean) in answer to your previuos question JP

Jon Vincent
8th August 2012, 04:22
Hi Steamship. Just wanted to inform you that a second mate on the "Bidford Priory" 10:4:1970 to 11:11:1970 I kept a daily journal with all the daily noon chitys and after your 13kt estimate I checked, we never did less that 15.5kts loaded and often avarage 16.5kts for a ballast voyage

Arthur C
8th August 2012, 06:12
Smooth, efficient, clean & fast, pity they could'nt have had a better more fuel efficient way of raising steam that was not dangerous.(nuclear reactors).

Arthur.(EEK)

foxy
8th August 2012, 17:17
Speed bonus for the shell charter on the Joya was 3d per ton of cargocarried for each 1/4 of a knot above 151/2 knots , and as she averaged above 18 knots this was hell of a bonus.

Arthur C
9th August 2012, 04:10
Hi All,
The thread I posted yesterday about Steam Turbine Vessels being 'Smooth,
Clean, Efficient & Fast' came from me who had always been a Motor Man, but as said on a previous thread who had lots of Experience on Turbine Maint. ashore.

A wonderful British invention used in all power stations today.

Arthur C.

ALAN TYLER
10th August 2012, 11:43
Speed bonus for the shell charter on the Joya was 3d per ton of cargocarried for each 1/4 of a knot above 151/2 knots , and as she averaged above 18 knots this was hell of a bonus.
Hi Foxy, I presume the fuel bonus went to the company and not the crew!! If not I,m owed mine...Joya Mc Cance Feb 69 to Aug 69, still happy days.

foxy
10th August 2012, 20:48
Hi Foxy, I presume the fuel bonus went to the company and not the crew!! If not I,m owed mine...Joya Mc Cance Feb 69 to Aug 69, still happy days.

Hi Allan I was3rd eng on the Joya Feb to Aug 69 and you presumed right about the bonus. I also sailed on the Joya in 67as jn3rd, 71 as 2nd and 74 & 76 as Chief just before she went to the breakers yard in Taiwan, a great ship just a pity she burnt too much fuel.

rob mcc
11th August 2012, 00:44
the only ship that i was on that ordered more cans of thitle bond than tennents larger when taking stores

steamship
20th August 2012, 07:46
Hi Steamship. Just wanted to inform you that a second mate on the "Bidford Priory" 10:4:1970 to 11:11:1970 I kept a daily journal with all the daily noon chitys and after your 13kt estimate I checked, we never did less that 15.5kts loaded and often avarage 16.5kts for a ballast voyage

Hi john,
After a trip round the Cape on the Brandon I was told by the 2nd. Mate Terry Trotter that our average speed was 13.2 knots. He seemed to feel that was a good speed for her. Being the 4th. eng I didn't get noon slips. I don't think the chief entered slip and speed in the rough log.

Ken West
20th August 2012, 08:06
Hi Foxy, I did 3 trips on Joya - J/E in Jan 1971, 4/E 1973 and 3/E later in 1973 to mid 1974. A great ship with fond memories.

foxy
20th August 2012, 21:56
Hi Ken, I joined the Joya in Capetown May 74, took over from Bob Riley. If I remember you had your wife on board I think her name was Jane, but if Im wrong please appologise. But didnt you leave with Stan Jacobson in Philly. Best regards Mike.

Ken West
21st August 2012, 23:53
Mike, You have a good and accurate memory. We are both well. Good to hear from you. I am currently PM building deepwater DP drillships in South Korea.

Best Regards

Ken

steamship
26th August 2012, 22:28
Mike, You have a good and accurate memory. We are both well. Good to hear from you. I am currently PM building deepwater DP drillships in South Korea.

Best Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,
themore I think of it the more I think I rememer a Ken. I spent some time in Ulsan at the Hyunday construction yard and was nearly killed when a huge chunk of conctete seperated from the counter wieght on one of the big cranes. I was living in the Yellow hotel which I think
Hyunday actually bought over and I got a lot of drinks that night at the bar downstairs.(==D)

Ken West
27th August 2012, 02:57
Happens. But must be a different Ken in HHI, I have always been in DSME shipyard Okpo South Korea.