Maratha Endeavour

ganda
23rd July 2006, 12:13
Does anyone have any details of the loss of this ship please? Believe she sank off the Azores around 1970 but I've been unable to locate any reports. When I sailed in her she was Nassau registered & owned by Chowgule of Mormagoa.
Cheers
George (Night)

Dave Edge
23rd July 2006, 23:14
George, I assume this is your ship:- "Maratha Endeavour", built 1962 by Howaldtswerke for Chowgule SS Co, 11,211 grt. I have her recorded as 1971 renamed "Olympian", 1983 "Himalaya", 9 January 1985 arrived Huangpu to be broken up.

ganda
30th July 2006, 11:37
Thanks for reply Dave. I had a newspaper cutting from UK about 1971 saying the crew of ME had been rescued from the vessel by US Coastguard. A former mate contacted on the Red Duster site also thought she had been lost.From your info though gather she may have been salvaged then sold.
Thanks again
Cheers
George

tony woods
20th March 2007, 21:41
Does anyone have any details of the loss of this ship please? Believe she sank off the Azores around 1970 but I've been unable to locate any reports. When I sailed in her she was Nassau registered & owned by Chowgule of Mormagoa.
Cheers
George (Night)

George
I sailed as 3rd eng. I joined the Maratha in hamburg at the ship yard and was standing her before the heavy lift mast was fitted in her and all the accomdation was completly bare.And this was in nov & dec and Ive never been so cold.The chief was John Weir sec eng John Fulton. I served just over 2 years in her and paid of at Victoria Island Bc

Aldinga
21st March 2007, 08:54
Hi Ganda
Is this your ship, taken from "Merchant Ships World Built Volume XI 1963.
Ron

Clive Anthony Fisher
21st March 2007, 21:59
Ganda.
If you type in (Maratha Endeavour) in the Cargo Ships Gallery she will pop up for you posted on the 18th March 2007.
Clive.