PHILINE,PHILIDORA and ZAPHON

Fairfield
23rd September 2004, 22:16
In the 70s,the Clyde was a literal haven for laid up shipping of all sizes moored from Glasgow itself to the various lochs and bays in the Firth of Clyde.
In Lamlash Bay,Isle of Arran,these 3 Shell tankers lay before eventually going to breakers.
PHILINE and PHILIDORA were both built in the USA 1959 and ZAPHON by Swan Hunter in 1957.

tanker
24th September 2004, 15:36
Yes PHILINE and PHILIDORA had a sister PHILIPPIA and were on Bareboat Charter of Somerset Shipping Co. and managed by Shell Tanckers N.V.
ZAPHON had a sister ZENATIA.of Tanker Finance Ltd.

Fairfield
15th November 2004, 15:17
I was very surprised when looking at my shot of ZAPHON taken in 1975 bore no resemblance to the original.She apparently was rebuilt in 1966.As built she looks far better.This is also from the Shell careers brochure.

Fairfield
24th April 2005, 22:12
This is PHILIDORA heading to the breakers at Faslane in December 1976.

alanengineer
16th June 2005, 00:44
I sailed on the Zaphon as Third Engineer in 1972, joining at St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands in June and paying off at Portland Maine in December.
They took off the centre castle, constructed a new wide, longer, deeper hull, joined it to the pump room forward bulkhead, and put the centre castle on top of the aft accomadation.
The funnel was affectionately called the tomato sauce bottle!!!! Alanengineer

stevecz
16th June 2005, 01:29
Alanengineer,
You must have relieved my pal Terry Claxton, I left her in May 1972, Singapore.