Fifty Years Onward

Bruce Carson
24th July 2006, 14:03
I just realized how old I am.
Tomorrow, July 25, marks the fiftieth anniversary of the sinking of the 'Andrea Doria' and I remember being glued to the television set as the events unfolded.
It seems a little ironical that, although the Italian liner went to the bottom, the 'Stockholm' is still afloat and is perhaps the oldest ocean going passenger ship of any size still in commercial service.

http://www.lostliners.com/Liners/Italia/Andrea_Doria/tragedy.html
http://www.greatoceanliners.net/stockholm3.html

Bruce C

david
25th July 2006, 06:19
Yes Bruce, Oldies but goodies!!
Memories are made of this.
I collected Liner postcards in those days, and my Dad who was a telegraphist at the OTC in Sydney and had heard news of the sinking before press time sent in my card of the Andria Doria to the Syd. Morning Herald via a mate of his who was one of the 'gun' photographers there.
It appeared on a Page 1 story the next day.
For a teenage collector, that was a big deal way back then!
Thanks for the memory,
David D.

mavjune
8th November 2006, 06:46
HI Bruce , I also collected liner postcards during that period . Taken up that
hobby of mine after 45 odd years . Whatever happened to your collection ?
Be most interesting to know . May be we could exchange some cards ?
Kind Regards , Cees .Yes Bruce, Oldies but goodies!!
Memories are made of this.
I collected Liner postcards in those days, and my Dad who was a telegraphist at the OTC in Sydney and had heard news of the sinking before press time sent in my card of the Andria Doria to the Syd. Morning Herald via a mate of his who was one of the 'gun' photographers there.
It appeared on a Page 1 story the next day.
For a teenage collector, that was a big deal way back then!
Thanks for the memory,
David D.

Bruce Carson
8th November 2006, 13:59
Hi Cees,
It's David who collected postcards.
This posting is not important. I'm writing it mainly because I wanted to use the salutation "HI CEES".

Bruce C

david
9th November 2006, 08:24
Unfortunately and much to my great regret, the collection has long gone.
Moving House, Company promotions and interstate transfers, falling out with Siblings, Marriage, Divorce, etc,etc ....some of you guys probably know the story.
Must have had 200-300 postcards collected from Shipping Company Offices in Sydney in the 1950's and 60's. Many of the images in them as I remember must have been taken by Clive Anthony Fishers old chum, from in front of my old school!!
As they were bound up in albums I made myself, maybe they are still around (?)
David D.