Gothland

Fairfield
24th September 2004, 10:35
Similar to CAPE HOWE,GOTHLAND came also from the Lithgow yard for Currie Line in 1961.She also frequented Glasgow on a regular basis and is shown at General Terminus Quay.
She was sold to Greeks in the late 70s and was renamed DAPO SKY but still came to Glasgow.On one of these visits in 1979 when outbound,she caught fire which severely damaged her accommodation.She was towed back to Glasgow and lay for a period before being taken to Faslane for scrap.

firey
4th February 2006, 20:51
The Gothland spent her last Red Duster time with Anchor line ,she was on a regular run between Glasgow as shown in the picture and Murmansk .Although I never sailed on her I met many who had. Two years ago I attened a funeral of John Strain who sailed on her as an Engineer ,there may be some out there who knew him .
John sailed with many companies throughout his career at sea , he had to retire through ill health and was never able to get the salt out of his veins.

Firey

firey
23rd November 2006, 20:10
found an old photo of the gothland to add to this thread,

jazz606
26th February 2007, 12:52
Re picture of Gothland at General Terminus. That looks very much like a Lyles ore carrier tied up ahead can't make out Cape Nelson or Cape Howe.

tanker
26th February 2007, 15:46
Here the GOTHLAND on sea trials.
Gp

Rennie Cameron
26th February 2007, 18:13
Interesting point Firey, the Highland (also Anchor Line but general cargo, built Lithgows) I think was sold to Anchor Line - if not sold then certainly chartered.

connie
3rd March 2007, 19:53
hi the gothland was my 1st trip to sea, joined in jarrow mercantile dock30/12/74 jamish lang was captain, and we had old davy as the ships cook, a rather portly glasweagian, who i certainly looked up to!! i dont think he ever left the ship,as he regarded very much as home. any one else remember him
regards connie.(Cloud)

1st May 2008, 18:34
Hi Folks,

I am new to this website but I sailed as fourth engineer on Gothland for my last trip in 1973. We sailed from Immingham to Murmansk returning early March. It was a great trip with many happy memories for me. I saw the ship later on (about 1976) at the general terminus in Glasgow.

Regards

eddy260
19th May 2008, 20:11
hi the gothland was my 1st trip to sea, joined in jarrow mercantile dock30/12/74 jamish lang was captain, and we had old davy as the ships cook, a rather portly glasweagian, who i certainly looked up to!! i dont think he ever left the ship,as he regarded very much as home. any one else remember him
regards connie.(Cloud)

i done six months on her 1970 sept isles cargo of ore my uncle was bosun on her for about six years billy did you sail with him

Tye
2nd August 2008, 20:27
Jamish Lang was also captain of the MV Pentland in 1969 before returning to the Gothland.

muldonaich
2nd August 2008, 23:35
cape howe had 6 hatches dead weight 27,000 tons kev.

Vindi65
23rd May 2009, 01:42
I was on the Gothland February to May 1967.
The guy on the right was the bosun the guy in the middle was an AB and that's me on the left A/S. Sorry, don't remember any names. The ship is docked in Monrovia. Jamish Lang was the Old Man

http://i39.tinypic.com/518uvs.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/28s6ctx.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/a1778k.jpg

CrazySparks
16th July 2009, 06:27
The Gothland was also my first ship in 1976, sailed to Murmansk. What an adventure for a 19 year old 2nd Sparks! The R/O was John O'Flynn Junior: he had a passion for horse-racing as I recall. The captain was taken off with a heart attack sometime during the voyage. Shame - he was really nice to the rooky sparky. I also remember the paper-thin T-Bone steaks served for Christmas, and the 2nd mate dancing around the bridge in women's tights in Murmansk. But it was cold! We were taken ashore by the Soviet authorities to see an opera - fabulous - I recall the splendor of those old buildings to this day, as well as the truly beautiful Russian girls we met. Someone tried to buy my shirt, so I wrapped it up and gave it to him next day. I also remember the 2nd mate and the senior sparky taking the p*ss out of me when I shouted down a compass reading from the monkey island to point two-five of a degree! Those were truly the good old days! I don't believe it will ever be so much fun again: an era has passed us by.

johnball59
13th August 2013, 11:06
The Gothland spent her last Red Duster time with Anchor line ,she was on a regular run between Glasgow as shown in the picture and Murmansk .Although I never sailed on her I met many who had. Two years ago I attened a funeral of John Strain who sailed on her as an Engineer ,there may be some out there who knew him .
John sailed with many companies throughout his career at sea , he had to retire through ill health and was never able to get the salt out of his veins.

Firey

Hi there new to the site the old MV gothland was my1st trip at sea as a junior R/O but to be perfectly honest was glad to get off because the old tub used to regularly perform 35 degree rolls LOL not good for a 1st tripper can only remember the old man Capt Mclaing real old iron ore veterean

Erimus
13th August 2013, 11:20
Somewhat smaller than Cape Howe with deadweight of about 21800 tons and the slowest ship in the large units we had in BSC.....she was the one that reported that the Mate was water skiing through the Pentlands as she had never gone beyond 13 knots before.........

geoff

johnball59
13th August 2013, 12:18
LOl I did my 1st trip as baby sparks on the old Gothland in early 74 i was very prone to seasickness so did not enjoy my time on the old iron ore routes did Murmansk just after christmas of that year minus 31 degrees couldnt believe it

eddy260
6th May 2014, 19:43
here are 2 pics

eddy260
6th May 2014, 19:44
2 of the gothland and 1 of the irish wassa

Erimus
6th May 2014, 19:52
Looks a bit dirtier than when the Irish Wasa was Sheaf Wear.......one of my favourite ships as a Port Agent and then as a Fleet Scheduler.......

geoff

funnelstays
6th May 2014, 20:58
Looks a bit dirtier than when the Irish Wasa was Sheaf Wear.......one of my favourite ships as a Port Agent and then as a Fleet Scheduler.......

geoff

Wa she not an occasional visitor to Tyne Dock Ore Terminal in the late 60s early 70s?

Erimus
6th May 2014, 22:22
Wa she not an occasional visitor to Tyne Dock Ore Terminal in the late 60s early 70s?

Fairly frequent as one of the,then,72 ore carriers which Bisc(ore) operated...she was on timecharter as Sheaf Wear for 10 years before sale/rename...
Geoff