Matthew Taylor (Fife) Ltd

ayre72
29th July 2006, 21:31
can somebody help me trying to find out information on an shipping company called matthew tailor it was called this is the seventies and eighties any help would be great

non descript
29th July 2006, 22:13
Does this help:

http://directory.lrfairplay.com/showcomp.asp?officeid=53543&area=Port+Agent&country=GB

ayre72
30th July 2006, 12:40
thanks for that its an start

non descript
30th July 2006, 12:46
Having established the company name as : Matthew Taylor (Fife) Ltd., we may find other members have something to add. good luck

ayre72
30th July 2006, 14:55
i believe the company was taking over by demmo about ten years ago i was told the crewing company they used was polembros shipping based in piraeus

Tom S
30th July 2006, 15:26
Matthew Taylor was originally a Shipping Company involved on the Sparta Grass Trade at Methil In Fife when this trade stopped the Company became Ships agents and Stevedores at Methil and Kirkcaldy. In 1986 the Company was owned by two brothers Matt and Douglas Taylor it was in this year that they sold out to Forth Ports Authority which later became Forth Ports PLC.Douglas Taylor was retained as Director of the Company. In 2002 the Company was sold to Denholm Ship Agencies who now operate all Taylors Companies

ayre72
30th July 2006, 17:06
thanks for that you have just told me more information then i have tryed to find in the last twenty years with not having any knowledge of the shipping industry am finding it very hard to find information out . polembros shipping is an crew managment company of which am trying to find out come crew listing of some vessels do any of these ring an bell with any one mv explorer s.t.leonidas thistle endeavour venturer spiros fisons reatlh any information would be great help

R58484956
30th July 2006, 17:19
Welcome ayre72 to the site as you can see there is a wealth of information on this site, ask a question and up pops an answer.

Tom S
30th July 2006, 17:44
The Polembros ships you mention are all Tankers that used to come to the Methil deep water anchorages in the 70s and 80s and Matthew Taylor Ltd were the ships agents and used to carry out crew changes and store the vessels from a launch as they were too deep to come into port. If you want information on these vessels contac John Watt the Manager for Denholm Ship Agencies at Grangemouth and he will put you on to the right person

ayre72
30th July 2006, 21:20
wish that was true ?this has been an very long process for me but the information i have recieved in the last couple of days from this site is fantastic .and i am very greatful to you all for taking the time to help me in finding my father

non descript
30th July 2006, 21:44
I am glad it is beginning to come together for you. Please keep up your endeavours and please keep us posted on how your research is going. We are here to help.

bert thompson
30th July 2006, 21:53
During the"War" and into the fifties they owned the Sojourner and another whose name I can't recall. Both small coasters. I memory serves me right the Methil Hill was employed in the esparto grass trade

ayre72
30th July 2006, 22:08
is there any greek merchant seamen out there

ayre72
30th July 2006, 22:12
would immingham port have the same agents as methil at the time or did they use different agencys for different ports

Tom S
30th July 2006, 22:25
Immingham would have different ships agents. The information I have given you for Methil is correct I was Manager for the Port at the time you are talking about and the Matthew Tayor company was in my office

ayre72
31st July 2006, 15:37
spoke to an gentlemen last week from the company denholm .he was called chris he said the crewing for all the vessels was looked after by polembros shipping based in piraeus .when i phoned them and gave them some names they just said they have no records of any of the crew members i was talking about

Tom S
31st July 2006, 18:32
Try contacting the Marine section in the Embassy in London http://egov.yen.gr/en/yen.chtm?prnbr=29153 They may help I suppose you have tried Palembros direct
Tom

Tom S
31st July 2006, 18:38
This is the web address of Polembros http://directory.fairplay.co.uk/showcomp.asp?officeid=65367&area=Ship+Owner&country=GR
Tom

ayre72
31st July 2006, 19:57
yes spoke to them direct the vessels i asked them about ,they never heard of before maybe because its such an long time ago they dont go that far back spoke to john hopper and his gonna look into some things for me .its very strange because when i ask people about these vessels no body ever heard of them ?but believe me they were real maybe they changed names we are talking 33 years ago suppose its nearly an life time away in the shipping trade

notnila
31st July 2006, 22:10
I seem to remember Methilhill Aberhill and believe there was a third "hill". I think the last vessel that Taylor owned was the "Reedwarbler".That was late 60s early 70s.

awateah2
4th August 2006, 18:19
They owned a small bridge amidships steam coaster called 'Moorlands' sold to Greeks in 1960. Laid in shoreham at wigham Pier before the sale

bert thompson
4th August 2006, 18:41
Moorlands is the name I forgot. My Uncle Dannie Smith was Mate and Master on them at various times. He was on the Sojourner all during the war and up to 1954 at least (my last visit).

WLH
4th August 2006, 19:47
Then there was the:-

BLACKSOD. O.N. 102183. 1894/500. Registered Methil. Built Fullerton.
ex Devonshire 1918. General Cargo.
Scrapped 1/54 Charlestown-on-Forth 4590.

Regards.................................WLH

Tom S
4th August 2006, 20:04
Matthew Taylor also operated quite a famous crew launch called the "Incentive" which used to do crew changes and storing runs to the Rigs and Tankers anchored in the deep water anchorages off Methil she was sold as a houseboat to someone in Southampton around about 2001 I am sure there must be a few memories of her and her crew Archie and Willie

ayre72
4th August 2006, 21:52
hi tom are we get any were yet? can any body help me on this one, s.t vincent & grenadines was it this name in the seventies

non descript
4th August 2006, 22:02
hi tom are we get any were yet? can any body help me on this one, s.t vincent & grenadines was it this name in the seventies

As part of the Windward Islands, it was, as far as I know always called St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
Following a referendum in 1979, St. Vincent and the Grenadines became the last of the Windward Islands to gain independence on the 10th anniversary of its associate statehood status, October 27th, 1979.

Take a look at this for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Vincent_and_the_Grenadines#History

Tom S
4th August 2006, 22:20
Some of the Ships you mentioned were probably registered there for tax purposes but wer still owned and operated by the Greek Shipowner
Tom

Taleso
11th December 2006, 12:37
can somebody help me trying to find out information on an shipping company called matthew tailor it was called this is the seventies and eighties any help would be great

Hi ayre 72,

At eight years old, I sailed with my father on the 'Sojourner' on my school holidays in 1948. He was skipper on her and we did the run from Butlers Wharf to Ostende with fruit for two weeks.

1949 I went coasting with him for six weeks again on the 'Sojourner'.

The last I saw of that brave wee ship was from a train going north to Aberdeen when she was being broken up for scrap so that would most likely be Inverkeithing, but I need to think more about what year that was.

He was also skipper on the 'Methil Hill' and I visited him regularly when he came to ports near hand to Grangemouth when he could not come home. The manageress then was a Miss Winnie Whitton. From my dads description she was a "dragon in drawers" and greatly feared throughout Mathew Taylor and also the coastal fleets. You are not related to her, are you?

Ask me what/why you wish to know and maybe I can help?

Best regards,
Taleso (Thumb)

Oh sugar, I have just read the threads through again. The 'why' bit is explained and I must apologise. The seventies and eighties were a long time after but at least I can assure everybody that the 'Sojourner' and the 'Methil Hill' were ships of the Mathew Taylor Fleet and certainly did exist.

Also I used their boat and agency to get to our rigs in Invergordon and Methil......how cosmic is that?

Best regards,
Taleso

PS - If all else fails......read the instructions.