HMS Warspite wreck

stevevincent1974
3rd August 2006, 16:58
Has any one any infomation or knowledge regarding the loss of Hms warspite which was being towed from devenport i think to some where in scotland to be scraped. I have been told by one person don't know if its true or rubbish that the tow ropes were cut by the tug crew who were towing her. Reason being that they wanted the ship to be saved as a museum ship but were disgusted by the goverment at the time for not saving her thus setting her on the rocks at prussia cove. Ant further knowledge greatful,kind regards to all. (Thumb)

Peter4447
3rd August 2006, 18:36
This happened on the 23 April 1947 when she was under tow to the breakers. The storm which caused her to break free from the tugs and drive ashore also caused the tragic loss of both the Samtampa with all of her crew and the Mumbles Lifeboat Edward Prince of Wales, (Coxswain Gammon) which had gone to the Samtampa's aid again with the loss of all crew members. The wind speed at the time of Samtampas loss was recorded as being 70 knots so in the circumstances I don't think the story about Warspite becoming a museum piece is true.
Peter4447

lofty
3rd August 2006, 19:00
built in 1913 served bravely in two world wars.Despite pleas to be kept as a museum ship this was ignored by the government and she was due to be scrapped in 1947.She escaped the indignity of the breakers yard by somehow breaking free of her moorings,and she ran hard aground in Prussia Cove South west Cornwall.She was scrapped in Situ and the work was finally completed in 1950.The full history of HMS Warspite can be found at http;//WWW.COM/TOPIC/HMS WARSPITE 1913. Cheers Lofty

treeve
3rd August 2006, 20:22
Not scrapped at Prussia Cove, I hasten to add .... she
was being taken further, but insisted on not going;
ended up on the beach at St Michaels Mount and scrapped there.
I remember my father taking me there to see her, both at
Prussia Cove and at Marazion.
I have a few photos and she will be remembered on my website,
along with the Duke of York ( which is already online ).
Best Wishes
Raymond

d.r.wing
14th July 2008, 15:14
Treeve, you are quite right Warspite ended up at St. Micheals Mount. The Lifeboat crew who went out to her were honoured with the Institutes thanks on vellum duly framed, and the cox'n Edwin Madron received the Silver Medal, my Great Uncle Ben Jeffery was one of the lifeboat crew that night.

treeve
14th July 2008, 16:55
It was a fearful situation and to save anyone off the stricken vessel was an achievement requiring nerves of steel, as they could not actually stand up in the lifeboat, the seas were so heavy.

Steve Woodward
14th July 2008, 19:55
No need to go any further than SN to find he history of this famous old ships just click HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Warspite)

griz
3rd October 2009, 17:43
I know this is an old thread but I'm the grandson of R.H. Bennett, whose company eventually ended up scrapping the Warspite.

I spent years at his home in the west country, eating at a large table with chairs that, I later discovered, were made from wood recovered from the Warspite.

I'm sitting typing this looking at a large sideboard, that was also made from recovered wood from the wreck (its all teak including the burn marks). My parents still have the table etc., I have the sideboard and my siblings have a few other items of furniture.

It's strange to think that part of the ship is sitting in our houses. Thanks for all your efforts in tracing the history, its very interesting, and a reminder of my grandfather.

R58484956
4th October 2009, 17:29
Welcome Griz to SN on your first very interesting posting, you certainly have some very special furniture. Bon voyage.

Seawitch Artist
4th October 2009, 19:20
I built a model of this great ship as a boy, I thought it a waste to scrap her then.
This was in Germany where my father was stationed as a soldier, across the road lived
my friends father who had settled there as a civilian, he was a Warspite crew member in WW2, his name was Tidmarsh, he died about 10 years ago.
Treeve...I checked out your website...amazing photos!

scillyb
11th March 2010, 21:16
I know this is an old thread but I'm the grandson of R.H. Bennett, whose company eventually ended up scrapping the Warspite.

I spent years at his home in the west country, eating at a large table with chairs that, I later discovered, were made from wood recovered from the Warspite.

I'm sitting typing this looking at a large sideboard, that was also made from recovered wood from the wreck (its all teak including the burn marks). My parents still have the table etc., I have the sideboard and my siblings have a few other items of furniture.

It's strange to think that part of the ship is sitting in our houses. Thanks for all your efforts in tracing the history, its very interesting, and a reminder of my grandfather.

Hi in doing my family history I came across information that my great grandfather was the first photographer to go down to the beach and take photo's of the ship as it was happening he had a photographers shop in Penzance also Marazion and cambourne but I can't find any of his work or any mention of him anywhere but my mother say's he wasw well know for photographing all kinds of disasters and reporting in the local newspapers, do you have any info? please Sue Barrett.

cavanaugh
26th January 2011, 00:17
Looking for any information on lost shipwrecks in nantucket sound, or around cape cod mass. Anything you heard,names of lost ships or subs. Anything YOU MIGHT HAVE READ ABOUT that i can research.Lets help each other. At my age im doing alot of research. Im also doing alot of scuba diving just hoping to come across something.I just love finding things from our past. To think of who touched this last,or what happen that caused people to lose things. This coast is full of lost history,which i would love to research for something of importants. If your looking to get involved with me or have questions about metal detecting or scuba diving i hope i can help. Im also looking for a dive partner. Im a advanced diver who dives year round. I use a hookah with tank back up. Thanks for these forums. They help alot of different people. I find people on forums really go all the way to help others. Plus get usefully help themselves. Just love the people ive meet on forums. Thanks for reading. Cav(Read)