Eastbank 60/61

twocoats
9th August 2006, 03:50
Hi. Was an Apprentice with Bank Line 60 to 64. Served on the Eastbank, Fleetbank, Foylebank, Streambank and Cedarbank. First trip completely around the world. Enjoyed every minute of it. Woild like to keep a Bank Line Forum going and trying to find old shipmates. Twocoats

johnmilne
9th August 2006, 05:32
I served my time with Bank Line 1963 to 1968 on Ashbank. Rowanbank, Lindenbank and Streambank. Was only on Streambank for about 6weeks,had finished my time and was returning to New Zealand from Houston. Very pleased that I did join her if only for a short time.All the others had slab hatches!Like you a great time. Your idea is good, How do we start off?
Regards,
John Milne

Jim Cobban
9th August 2006, 05:59
I also served my time in the Bank Line. 64 to 68. Spent 10 months as uncert. 3rd Mate on the latter part of the maiden voyage of Nairnbank. Spent another 16 years at sea but Bank Line was the most memorable and now evokes the most nostalgia.

Interesting to see that of the three so far (hopefully more to respond) one living in Australia one in Canada and my home is in the mountains of Portugal.

Bank Line was a good training ground for the future. In orals for Second Mates the examiner asked me where I had served my time and when I told him his reply was to the effect - no need to dwell on seamanship ! He did however proceed to reveal all my other shortcomings. Happy days

Mike Lindsell
9th August 2006, 06:32
I as an apprentice with Bank Line during the period 1953 - 1957 serving on the Beaverbank (Maiden Voyage), Westbank, Clydebank (Built in the twenties), Hazelbank (Empire Ship - Coal Burner).
Stayed with Bank Line until 1962 serving on Irisbank, Cloverbank, and Teakbank before moving to Australia.
Since arriving in Australia in 1963, I have lived and worked in Hong Kong, and Singapore, returning from Singapore to make my home in Perth, Western Australia.
All my working life has been connected with the sea, the latter 30 years in the Offshore Oil & Gas Support Vessel Industry.
I still have very fond memories of my years with Bank Line.

Nova Scotian
9th August 2006, 14:08
Hi Jim:

Were you by any chance a cadet at KE VII in early 1964. I seem to remember a fellow entrant of that name.

Cheers

R58484956
9th August 2006, 16:01
Welcome twocoats to the site, as you can see quite a few ex bankers on here, enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

pete
9th August 2006, 21:11
Joined Bank Line 1965 as 3/O and was redundant in 1980 as OM. A bloody good learning curve as I carried everything from pins to Giraffes (on no.4 Hatch and gazing in through the Saloon Windows) Also carried a small Gnu but that is another story.................................pete

Norman Best
9th August 2006, 21:21
Sailed with bank line 63-64 on Beaverbank and Nessbank befor joining
Shaw Savill untill 73 then W.A.Souter,74. as engineer. Sailed with Capt's
Ellerby and Todd, C/Eng Allan Smith who live's in Perth one of the best men I ever met at sea would be greatfull if any one can tell me if he is still around.
There is a Bank Line society that you can find on the web.
Best Regards,
Norman Best.

Geoffrey
19th September 2006, 16:21
Hi Twocoats
I served my time from 1956-1960 on First the S.S. Corabank (Samfleet),M.V.Taybank.Roybank Westbank,Roybank, Then M.V.Streambank as Third Mate. The best ship was the Roybank thanks in no small part to the skipper Capt Johnny Whigham what a guy came from Whitley Bay I believe great times great memories.

Geoff

Les Gibson
19th September 2006, 22:28
Sorry to spoil the party lads, not good memories of Bank line. Joined Dartbank in Hamburg March 1963 as Chief Electrician, transferred to Taybank (new) in Calcutta in May/June 1964. Finally paid off in Rotterdam after 18 months. Good crowd of engineers, but food was grim. 3 eggs per week, never had green salad, only beetroot and oninon. Salad cream on Sunday only, sauce on table only when eggs served. Old man's bond and stores. We were paying 2 for a case of beer (should have been 15 shillings or 75 P) and 25 shillings for a carton of ciggies (Should have been 10 shillings or 50P) No spirits. The old man had his wife and 2 kids with him for most of the time, but they ate in their cabin, where he had his own fridge, and their food was cooked separately by the Indian Butler (No Chief Steward )The meat in the ships fridges was crawling, and we got the consul down in New Orleans to inspect, but the old man got wind of it and emptied the fridges, said they were due for a clean! First place to visit in each port was a restaurant, not the local bar! The drinking came later.

pete
20th September 2006, 02:06
Hi Les.......Amazing how things can change in 3/4 Years. I joined Dartbank as 2/O in Early '67 and left late '69. Best couple of years of my seagoing career, food OK (two eggs for brekkie everyday) Green salad for as long as it lasted in those 'fridges, the only downside of those vessels was the limited amount of Fresh Water available, no "Atlas" just the Evaporator in some forgotten corner of the E/R (2½ tons first day, 1½tons 2nd day then strip, beat the living s**t out of it 3rd day, re-assemble and start all over again) Water rationing was not unusual especially trans Pacific. BTW who was the OM, cheers................pete

Ian Harrod
20th September 2006, 05:26
Cadet with Bank Line 68/72 on NESSBANK, TESTBANK, WEIRBANK, IRISBANK, LINDENBANK, BEECHBANK, SPRUCEBANK. 3rd Mate on TAYBANK 73/74. Then joined ANL for 15 years.

K urgess
20th September 2006, 10:09
Sprucebank - 14th November 1967 to 5th June 1968
Weirbank - 25th November 1969 to 18th February 1971 (voluntary re-signing Liverpool)
Sprucebank - 13th October 1971 to 19th June 1972

I kept volunteering. Everytime I saw a Bankboat in Hull docks while on leave I tried to wangle it. Last time I succeeded was the Sprucebank in '71.

Cruisin' with Bankline was the way to go(Hippy)

jimthehat
17th November 2006, 23:36
Hi Les, different folk ,different memories ,according to my discharge book,I joined the TAYBANK in ROTTERDAM 14AUG 1964as 2nd mate,and payed off in Bremerhaven 12 jan 1966.The master was TS ROBERTSON, Iremember the Taybank as a happy ship.

JIM (PELORISSorry to spoil the party lads, not good memories of Bank line. Joined Dartbank in Hamburg March 1963 as Chief Electrician, transferred to Taybank (new) in Calcutta in May/June 1964. Finally paid off in Rotterdam after 18 months. Good crowd of engineers, but food was grim. 3 eggs per week, never had green salad, only beetroot and oninon. Salad cream on Sunday only, sauce on table only when eggs served. Old man's bond and stores. We were paying 2 for a case of beer (should have been 15 shillings or 75 P) and 25 shillings for a carton of ciggies (Should have been 10 shillings or 50P) No spirits. The old man had his wife and 2 kids with him for most of the time, but they ate in their cabin, where he had his own fridge, and their food was cooked separately by the Indian Butler (No Chief Steward )The meat in the ships fridges was crawling, and we got the consul down in New Orleans to inspect, but the old man got wind of it and emptied the fridges, said they were due for a clean! First place to visit in each port was a restaurant, not the local bar! The drinking came later.

Lefty
17th November 2006, 23:38
I was with Bank Line 1959 til 64/5. Apprentice then 3/O. Sailed on Fleetbank,Beaverbank,Eastbank(alonga twocoats),Northbank,Rosebank then Fleetbank Panama to uk for college.After 2/O cert joined Inverbank for longest ever trip and swore never to return!!! As the Masters had so much control, food etc depended so much on their attitudes. Experienced Board of Trade rations on my second trip! Rosebank with Whigham was the best.Capt. Kent the worst!!!
Afterwards joined Houlder Bros., a completely different kettle of fish. Home leave guaranteed after 6 months, WOW!!!!! Sea career cont'd including 8 years as a Fishery Development Officer with the WFA and 8 years in the Offshore Industry and survey/diving vessels.
Resigned from seafaring when Maggie made it impossible in the 80's. Very amusing to find the Service starved of Officers now!!!!!

johnmilne
18th November 2006, 00:45
Seem to recall six known so and so Old men in the sixties. Kent was one and I sailed with another J W Grieg.
Cheers
John Milne

K urgess
18th November 2006, 12:25
I recall talk of Kent while with Bankline.

I vaguely remember some talk of a parrot belonging to him being kept on the bridge. The naughty mates on watch taught said parrot to say "Kent's a ......" (similair word with only two letters changed) (EEK)

Captains
Henry Allen from Ballymena - Sprucebank deepsea with his family
Commodore Holbrook - Sprucebank coasting
Alan E. Newton from Richmond, Yorkshire - Weirbank for 2 trips. The best.
D. G. McCaffery - Sprucebank. Very fair.

Feeding was never brilliant and a supply of baked beans and UHT milk under the bunk was always advisable.(Thumb)

jimthehat
18th November 2006, 17:33
[B]Hi all[SIZE="3"]Somehow the bank line pass ships seem to have got sidetracked to a different site,but they were an integral part of bank Line.I served on the ISIPINGO as 3/0In the late 50sfor 2 years and had a very good time. there seem to be a bit of a hate session on against various masters ,but from 52thru 66 I cant remember a really poor master.

Peloris

Jim Cobban
18th November 2006, 21:04
Hello Peloris - I sailed on the maiden voyage of the Nairnbank as Senior Apprentice, Captain T S Robertson was Master. We had a very eventful maiden voyage. Left the builders (Belfast) bound for Canada to load grain for discharge Madras. Unfortunately Captain Robertson died in Madras while we were waiting to lighten ship prior to complete discharge in Calcutta. On that voyage we also lost overboard a first trip Engineer after sailing from Canada, and whilst at anchor prior to berthing Calcutta two of the Indian Engine Room Crew - one of whom hanged himself during the midnight to 4 watch also died.

The Third Mate whose name I forget was allowed a passage home to get married and be a father - rapidly. Which only goes to show that in 1967 Bank Line was getting soft in its old age.

I was promoted to uncert 3/O where I remained for the remainder of the voyage which confirms my observations in the previous paragraph

oldmarconiman
19th November 2006, 09:29
I sailed as Radio Officer on Corabank (Samfleet) and Eskbank -'58 - '60 under Captain Sam Withers. Good man, great food particularly on Eskbank with Chinese crew and good shipmates. I thoroughly enjoyed my days on those two ships and largely as a result of frequent visits to South Africa married a Durban girl back in '61. More on these ships on my website www.oldmarconiman.co.uk

xrm
19th November 2006, 10:26
As Norman pointed out - details from

thebanklineassociation@ntlworld.com

John Campbell
8th June 2007, 20:57
Hi Les, different folk ,different memories ,according to my discharge book,I joined the TAYBANK in ROTTERDAM 14AUG 1964as 2nd mate,and payed off in Bremerhaven 12 jan 1966.The master was TS ROBERTSON, Iremember the Taybank as a happy ship.

JIM (PELORIS

I was with T S Robertson on the Foylebank (1958)when he was put ashore in Tahiti with a heart attack. I was third Mate then and we all got promoted for the next leg of voyage to Brisbane. Chief Mate Yeats was in command until releived by Capt. Thorne.

Great Trip - great parties in Australia - we had a great 3rd Engineer - Stan Sweeney who was a legend. Foylebank got fumigated in Port Pirie after some of the Engineers,who had a party, got the Port Health inspector p***d and convinced him that the ship was alive with rats. It backfired as we were all turfed ashore to the Flying Angel for the day and it was on a Sunday. We got one meal in the local hotel. Wegot no drink and it was a disaster. The Indian crew were even worse - they were bussed away to some lake and having been told to take their fishing gear had to while away some ten hours and got not a single fish. They had a big pan of Rice and Curry for the day. They wetre in a mutinous mood when we finally boarded
JC

Motorman
9th June 2007, 08:35
Hello
I was on the Fleetbank around 75, anyone got any photos of her

Johnnietwocoats
29th December 2008, 05:54
I was with Bank Line 1959 til 64/5. Apprentice then 3/O. Sailed on Fleetbank,Beaverbank,Eastbank(alonga twocoats),Northbank,Rosebank then Fleetbank Panama to uk for college.After 2/O cert joined Inverbank for longest ever trip and swore never to return!!! As the Masters had so much control, food etc depended so much on their attitudes. Experienced Board of Trade rations on my second trip! Rosebank with Whigham was the best.Capt. Kent the worst!!!
Afterwards joined Houlder Bros., a completely different kettle of fish. Home leave guaranteed after 6 months, WOW!!!!! Sea career cont'd including 8 years as a Fishery Development Officer with the WFA and 8 years in the Offshore Industry and survey/diving vessels.
Resigned from seafaring when Maggie made it impossible in the 80's. Very amusing to find the Service starved of Officers now!!!!!

Lefty from Somerset. How are you. I have some photos. I got copies of all my Ships Logs and Crew Lists. I see that you came home with me on the Fleetbank I think from panama. Charlie Howe was the Master. What a joy he was. Coats

boatlarnie
3rd January 2009, 15:09
I also served my time in the Bank Line. 64 to 68. Spent 10 months as uncert. 3rd Mate on the latter part of the maiden voyage of Nairnbank. Spent another 16 years at sea but Bank Line was the most memorable and now evokes the most nostalgia.

Interesting to see that of the three so far (hopefully more to respond) one living in Australia one in Canada and my home is in the mountains of Portugal.

Bank Line was a good training ground for the future. In orals for Second Mates the examiner asked me where I had served my time and when I told him his reply was to the effect - no need to dwell on seamanship ! He did however proceed to reveal all my other shortcomings. Happy days
Hi Jim,
How are things; had a post from Capt. Alistair Macnab and an Engineer, Colin Curtis (ex Irisbank) so thought I would check SN on a regular basis and came across your name. Looked familiar so looked up the Marabank and I was right, you were an Apprentice on board there together with Andy Flowers and Geoff Nixon. I was 2nd Mate (almost 1st Mate but Joe Hilton came out of hospital in New Orleans, broken leg and all) and we had aa pretty good trip from Glasgow through Pakistan, India, Africa, States and Aussie where I left you.
Read in the Bank Line Association newsletter Andy Flowers was killed in a diving accident a couple years back; great loss.
Anway, we live in South Africa since 1971, retired from Safmarine in 2001 and now travel around game parks in Southern Africa, camping out and photographing wild anilamls.
Drop me a line sometime,
Regards and best wishes for 2009,

Alan Smaldon

Hamish Mackintosh
3rd January 2009, 22:27
I sailed on the "Ivybank"50 to 52 and the cadets on her were John Appelby-Le Barber senior app who was spotted in the early 90's as mate on a collier, then there was Harry Pope whose dad was master in Eagle Oil, then "Jock" Wylie (spelling) who hailed from Paisley, and the forth app who's name escapes me, but who's Dad was harbour master at Troon when he was with us, I wonder if any of these lads stayed with Bank Line