Holt's Wharf

jmaw
10th August 2006, 13:52
I think Holt's Wharf was Blue Funnel wasn't it? The attached photo is c.1961. (bugger, it's too large to load - anyone who wants to see it e-mail me jimbo@netvigator.com).

Greetings from Hong Kong. I'm in the marine police, and doing a bit of research into 20th century maritime stuff - concentrating on my lot obviously, the RN and also some of the major lines and docks.

I would love to hear about the routines you fellas had before the advent of containers - where you anchored, how long you stayed, where you drank and any interesting tales.

Any photos of police launches would also be gladly received. TY.

All the best.

hawkey01
10th August 2006, 14:20
JMAW, welcome to SN. I am sure that you will get plenty of replies and info from the members.
Regards
Hawkey01 (Read)

R58484956
10th August 2006, 14:25
Welcome jmaw from the south of England, plenty of Blue Flu members here, no doubt the answers will soon start flowing in. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

gdynia
10th August 2006, 15:03
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your stay

benjidog
10th August 2006, 21:27
Another welcome to SN Jmaw.

You can only paste small pictures in a thread - the place to upload to is the Gallery. You can also put a cross reference in this thread afterwards if you like by getting the uploaded picture on the screen, using CTRL-C to copy the address of it from the address bar, then add it to a posting by using the little symbol that looks like the globe with a pair of sunglasses in front. PM me if you are not sure what I am on about.

Regards,

Brian

John Rogers
10th August 2006, 22:01
When I was there we anchored out and discharged,except one time we docked at Cowloon. I did my drinking in the Union Jack Club at the navy base.
John

Trader
11th August 2006, 00:15
I think Holt's Wharf was Blue Funnel wasn't it? The attached photo is c.1961.

I would love to hear about the routines you fellas had before the advent of containers - where you anchored, how long you stayed, where you drank and any interesting tales.

All the best.

Hi jmaw,

I was with Blue Funnel from 1952/1956. Outward bound to Japan we unloaded at the wharf in Kowloon, not far from Star Ferry if I remember right. Homeward bound we always anchored in the bay and loaded from junks. I have some photos somewhere, I must dig 'em out.

With regards drinking, the Kowloon Bar comes to mind and the Union Jack club. We also used to go up Nathan road for shopping and some good bars down the back streets. Can't remember the names, mind you it is over half a century ago. (*))

I remember the barber coming aboard, 100 fags for a haircut. Also the tailors flogging shark skin suits and Arrow shirts. An old Chinese lady, Mary, used to come aboard and take all the slops from the mess room for her chickens etc.
There was also a sew, sew lady who would do any sewing and patching or ironing for you. Happy days.

Alec.

jmaw
11th August 2006, 04:03
Hello fellas,

Thanks for the welcome and info, much appreciated.

Hong Kong must've been an excellent trip in the 1950s/60s - it seems the whole world was better then, or am I just being overly nostalgic? Mind you, 100 tabs for a haircut seems a bit steep - but then again haircuts only take me 2 minutes!

I am sure you will know - but just in case - there's a very good page on the Blue Funnel Line at....... http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id25.html.

Cheers for now,

Jim

John Rogers
11th August 2006, 14:32
I forgot to mention the Junks that came along side at night,they had the most prettiest young women on-board, and dressed in the nice long dress with the split down the side. Half a century it maybe but I can still remember those nights and the ladies of the night.
John

Tai Pan
11th August 2006, 16:55
Welcome jmaw from the south of England, plenty of Blue Flu members here, no doubt the answers will soon start flowing in. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Mant good memories this wharf, at the bottom of Nathan road, meant could go ashore without messing about with water taxis. John Garner ex Sparks

John Rogers
11th August 2006, 19:03
Water Taxis John!! I thought you Sparkies walked on water.
Only kidding.
John.

Trevorw
15th August 2006, 00:37
Holts Wharf was on Salisbury Road, Kowloon - turn left off Nathan Road and it was about 350 yards on the right. Was in HK about five years ago and it had vanished! Replaced by high rises on reclaimed land!

Blue Flue and Glen Line used to discharge there and homeward bound load from junks at anchor. That's another mystery, what's happened to all the junks in HK?

Good watering holes in Kowloon - can't remember the names, but The President Hotel, Nathan Road, Kowloon was one, the Red Dragon, Nathan Road was another. For good food, also in Kowloon, was Jimmy's Kitchen.

Does anyone remember Mary Tam Choy - a tailoress who made the best uniforms you could lay your hands on?!

cheddarnibbles
15th August 2006, 17:17
Holts Wharf was on Salisbury Road, Kowloon - turn left off Nathan Road and it was about 350 yards on the right. Was in HK about five years ago and it had vanished! Replaced by high rises on reclaimed land!

Does anyone remember Mary Tam Choy - a tailoress who made the best uniforms you could lay your hands on?!

Yes, she made me a 3 piece suit for £3 overnight in 1959. Always good for a free Coke in her shop on your way up Nathan Road.

I returned to HK last year and tried to see Holt's Wharf but there's a gigantic shopping centre called Harbour City on it now. (See posting in the Gallery)

jmaw
16th August 2006, 14:46
Yes, you're 100% correct gents - (Alfred) Holt's Wharf was bought by New World Development in about 1972 and the wharf demolished. A hotel and shopping complex was built on the site. The Kowloon-Canton Railway Co.'s terminus just next door was closed in 1975.

Jimmy's Kitchen - founded in 1928 - is still going, and they have restaurants in both Tsim Sha Tsui and Central. The bars you fellas speak of probably have long gone, I say probably as I haven't been a regular in TST for over 15yrs - but does anyone remember the 'Wally Mat', a.k.a. Waltzing Matilda?

Attached is a photo looking south over Kowloon taken in about 2003. I suppose one can marvel at man's progress and simultaneously be slightly sad for what's gone.

Cheers.

Trevorw
17th August 2006, 00:33
Yes, you're 100% correct gents - (Alfred) Holt's Wharf was bought by New World Development in about 1972 and the wharf demolished. A hotel and shopping complex was built on the site. The Kowloon-Canton Railway Co.'s terminus just next door was closed in 1975.

Jimmy's Kitchen - founded in 1928 - is still going, and they have restaurants in both Tsim Sha Tsui and Central. The bars you fellas speak of probably have long gone, I say probably as I haven't been a regular in TST for over 15yrs - but does anyone remember the 'Wally Mat', a.k.a. Waltzing Matilda?

Attached is a photo looking south over Kowloon taken in about 2003. I suppose one can marvel at man's progress and simultaneously be slightly sad for what's gone.

Cheers.Do I remember the Waltzing Matilda! Correct me if I'm wrong - up Nathan Road and 2nd or 3rd on the right! HK$320 to take the girl out of the bar for the evening!

Hugh Ferguson
10th September 2006, 13:42

Blue Flue and Glen Line used to discharge there and homeward bound load from junks at anchor. That's another mystery, what's happened to all the junks in HK?

Good watering holes in Kowloon - can't remember the names, but The President Hotel, Nathan Road, Kowloon was one, the Red Dragon, Nathan Road was another. For good food, also in Kowloon, was Jimmy's Kitchen.

YES, I do! I first went alongside Holt's Wharf in the GLENFINLAS sometime in March 1946 and one of the first people I met coming on board was Tam King and her two younger sisters, Tam Choi and Tam Chen. The one referred to by Cheddarnibbles as Mary Tam Choy I am sure was, in fact, Tam Chen. She was the youngest and in 1946 was 16 years old.
Would it surprise you to know that she visited me here in Cornwall on the 27th May, 1994! Well. she did, in the company of her daughter Rita (Cheng Wing Ling).
This came about from my having heard that one of the sisters had died, and in order to discover which one I wrote, condolences to be forwarded, to Harry Lee, the taylor. He replied, saying that he was out of touch with that family but he would try to contact. I heard nothing for several months until one morning I took a 'phone call from Hong Kong! Imagine my astonishment at finding myself speaking to Tam Chen.
The reason I had had no response to my letter was on account of her having emigrated, in order to be with her 2 sons & 2 daughters, to the U.S.A. and it was only on account of a return visit to Hong Kong that she then received my letter. Sadly, both her sisters and her husband, Jackie Cheng, taylor, had died. She then simply amazed me by saying that she and Rita were coming to U.K., could she visit!?!? So she did for 3 whole days and it was wonderful to see such a familiar face again; I recognised her immediately.
I think that the suit was made for you by her husband, Jacky Cheng.
I recently received a most moving letter from her in San Jose (where she lives), telling how much she owed to the ships and their crews. She told me how it had provided a living which began in very hard times (her father had died when she was 4 years old) in 1946. She wrote about how she had made so very many friends, and she had even met her husband on board a Blue Funnel ship. She is getting old now, like so many of us, but keeps reasonably well. She is now a grandmother several times over but still gets around: she has recently been to China for the funeral of her mother-in-law.
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

John Rogers
10th September 2006, 14:16
Thats a great story Hugh,friends for life it appears.
John

Succour
22nd September 2006, 08:26
A lovely story Hugh.
You might be suprised to hear I still have a suit in my wardrobe made by Jacky in 1969. Light weight with a waistcoat and bonnie it is too. Dont ask me why I kept it.
It just makes me think of all my dear old Shipmates whenever I pull it out for a look. Holt's wharf was named after Alfred Holt, no longer there but there is a few shots of it in the Hulton Getty Photograph Archive. Thanks Hugh!

Keith L Branton
22nd September 2006, 19:49
Iwas in Blue Funnel in the 50,s and being reminded of Jimmy's Kitchen brings back vivid memories of rickshaw races up and down Nathan Road.
Lots of fun. Any rickshaws there now?
Keith Branton

Succour
24th September 2006, 07:22
Thanks again Hugh,
I would love to see that Photograph of your meeting with your old pals from HK. I managed to get a pic of the suit I bought in HK in the late sixties. Hope it works.

All the best,

Succour.

Hugh Ferguson
24th September 2006, 14:15
O.K. will do. Hugh.

R651400
27th September 2006, 04:48
Jacky Cheng was definitely BF and GL's official HK tailor.
Jacky updated my tattered and rust stained tropical kit from Holts Mutual on Hamilton Square Birkenhead.
Free epaulettes, buttons and sleeve rings when you joined.
When I visited with Marchessini, the tailor was Jimmy Chew.
In Singapore there was a sew-sew called Mary who used to regularly chant,
"Sew-sew? No mama no papa no chow-chow!"
Mary apparently made enough money to see all her children through university.

Hugh Ferguson
27th September 2006, 13:14
Send me your E.mail address and I'll forward a copy. Hugh.
Mine is:- ferguson@tyller-tythy.freeserve.co.uk

DURANGO
14th January 2007, 19:59
YES, I do! I first went alongside Holt's Wharf in the GLENFINLAS sometime in March 1946 and one of the first people I met coming on board was Tam King and her two younger sisters, Tam Choi and Tam Chen. The one referred to by Cheddarnibbles as Mary Tam Choy I am sure was, in fact, Tam Chen. She was the youngest and in 1946 was 16 years old.
Would it surprise you to know that she visited me here in Cornwall on the 27th May, 1994! Well. she did, in the company of her daughter Rita (Cheng Wing Ling).
This came about from my having heard that one of the sisters had died, and in order to discover which one I wrote, condolences to be forwarded, to Harry Lee, the taylor. He replied, saying that he was out of touch with that family but he would try to contact. I heard nothing for several months until one morning I took a 'phone call from Hong Kong! Imagine my astonishment at finding myself speaking to Tam Chen.
The reason I had had no response to my letter was on account of her having emigrated, in order to be with her 2 sons & 2 daughters, to the U.S.A. and it was only on account of a return visit to Hong Kong that she then received my letter. Sadly, both her sisters and her husband, Jackie Cheng, taylor, had died. She then simply amazed me by saying that she and Rita were coming to U.K., could she visit!?!? So she did for 3 whole days and it was wonderful to see such a familiar face again; I recognised her immediately.
I recently received a most moving letter from her in San Jose (where she lives), telling how much she owed to the ships and their crews. She told me how it had provided a living which began in very hard times (her father had died when she was 4 years old) in 1946. She wrote about how she had made so very many friends, and she had even met her husband on board a Blue Funnel ship. She is getting old now, like so many of us, but keeps reasonably well. She is now a grandmother several times over but still gets around: she has recently been to China for the funeral of her mother-in-law.
Yours, Hugh Ferguson. The first time i visited Hong Kong was in 1961 i flew out to join an old tramp the [Worthy Down ] Manns of London they only had 2 ships , i was 2nd trip A.B. i can still remember it as if it was yesterday i walked into Prescott st pool the fella behind the jump said "A.B. wanted to join the Worthy Down in Borneo " so i says to him "Borneo wheres Borneo " " south america " says he " i,ll take her " i said , as i was walking to the company office in whittington ave just of leadenhall st i thought to myself " Borneo thats not in south america it,s north of Australia but what do i care i,m going on a plane ride " big thing in 1961 , anyhow i ended up joining her in Hong Kong , i got more than i bargained for i paid off sick in Shanghai 3 months later again i was flown back home [ long story ] after visiting the far east i knew i wanted to get back out there but not to many ships out of London pool went out east , i ended up with Blue Funnel great shipping company , anyhow i started to read this thread with regards to Jacky tailor it was only a few days back that i opened my wardrobe and there as plain as day was one off jacky tailor,s wooden coathangers , i had that suit [ long gone ] made on the Antilochus in 1964 even that suit had a story attached to it some time later in Buenos Aires i wont bore you with that but i must say it was great to read about Jacky and also the sew sew ladies i can see them now when they came aboard Blue Funnel ships they used to call out " sew sew la " thanks for the memories .

Hugh Ferguson
14th January 2007, 23:24
The first time i visited Hong Kong was in 1961 i flew out to join an old tramp the [Worthy Down ] Manns of London they only had 2 ships , i was 2nd trip A.B. i can still remember it as if it was yesterday i walked into Prescott st pool the fella behind the jump said "A.B. wanted to join the Worthy Down in Borneo " so i says to him "Borneo wheres Borneo " " south america " says he " i,ll take her " i said , as i was walking to the company office in whittington ave just of leadenhall st i thought to myself " Borneo thats not in south america it,s north of Australia but what do i care i,m going on a plane ride " big thing in 1961 , anyhow i ended up joining her in Hong Kong , i got more than i bargained for i paid off sick in Shanghai 3 months later again i was flown back home [ long story ] after visiting the far east i knew i wanted to get back out there but not to many ships out of London pool went out east , i ended up with Blue Funnel great shipping company , anyhow i started to read this thread with regards to Jacky tailor it was only a few days back that i opened my wardrobe and there as plain as day was one off jacky tailor,s wooden coathangers , i had that suit [ long gone ] made on the Antilochus in 1964 even that suit had a story attached to it some time later in Buenos Aires i wont bore you with that but i must say it was great to read about Jacky and also the sew sew ladies i can see them now when they came aboard Blue Funnel ships they used to call out " sew sew la " thanks for the memories .

See her photograph (just posted) in the Life on Board section.

ernhelenbarrett
15th January 2007, 07:18
Hope all you Alfie Holt blokes remember that the Ben Line also ran to Hong Kong and Ben Line also had their own Wharf at Kowloon, can remember being on Benvrackie (ex SamAffric) with both anchors down going full ahead, 10 knots on a Liberty during a Typhoon , quite a frightening experience. A Dutch
ship was flung high and dry on Rushcutters that time. Pubs were the Red Lion
and also Jimmy's, the Matilda came later. The best thing was that Milk Bar
just outside the Gate, a genuine milk shake tasted great after afew months
on a tin of condensed. I always thought that Mary collected the messroom scraps to sell to the restaurants to be made in to chop suey!!!
Revisited Honkers the year the place was handed back and it certainly had changed a lot.
Ern Barrett

Eggo
15th January 2007, 15:28
Used to run to Hong Kong in the 60's with Blue Flue. Used to drink in the Waltzing Mathilda bar and the Navy club. the tailor used to come on board measure you up in the morning for a suit, come back in the afternoon for a fitting and bring the finished product back after tea. Cost about £10.00 sterling

Graham McMorine
15th January 2007, 21:29
Used to run to Hong Kong in the 60's with Blue Flue. Used to drink in the Waltzing Mathilda bar and the Navy club. the tailor used to come on board measure you up in the morning for a suit, come back in the afternoon for a fitting and bring the finished product back after tea. Cost about £10.00 sterling

Another "Bluey" favourite bar was the "Hastie Tastie" and the favourite pastime in there ( apart from the girls ) was pinching American sailors hats(==D)

Keith Adams
16th January 2007, 00:54
Hi Guys! My first stop out of the gate at Kowloon Wharf,on the left hand side of the street, first or second block, was an upstairs restaurant with a German name where you could get a teriffic Steak and Eggs or Lobster Dinner. Our ship, Bibby Troopship, was serviced by KING who supplied all the girls in their silk pyjama type outfits who hand scrubbed the wooden decks with half shell coconut husks. Also the men,who worked over the side on stages, painting and/or soogeeing the paintwork. He also owned "Kings`Ballroom" on
Hong Kong island. Also, I had to allow, and pay a lady to tidy up and mend l my kit... first trip in I got upset with finding the person in my cabin after we
came in off deck and I ordered her out... caused a real stink as it turned out
it was her rightful place and duty cabin while the ship was in port... I was denying her a job/income. I offered her the money just to go but she wouldn`t accept it and showed up every day we were in... I got used to it in
the end... it was my first trip out East...never anything taken,great people...
Snowy

Hugh Ferguson
24th February 2007, 13:28

For anyone who knew any of the Tam family, and is interested in what became of them, see my posting of a photograph of Tam Chen (not Choy: Tam Choy was her older sister), being met by me on Truro Station, 27th May, 1994. Go to Gallery and scroll down to Life on Board.

Hugh Ferguson
13th March 2007, 21:47
I've just posted on the Gallery file, under Life on Board, a photograph entitled "Tam Choi and friends." Her friends are a couple of, I would assume, Blue Funnel/Glen Line people on board a ship alongside Holt's Wharf sometime, I would again assume, in the 50's.
I wonder if either of them might see this photo, or possibly, someone may recognise one, or other of them!?!

rothesian
21st March 2007, 14:44
I too had a suit made by Jackie, Mary came on board in the morning and measured up, went ashore in evening for fitting, Mary delivered next morning, with free shirt and tie, coat hanger and bag. all for £10 -
sadly that was 1964 - suit no longer fits, at that time I could only have been 28-30" waist - great memories of the walzing matilda and a poem about the ages of man

Sow-Sow-La
28th March 2007, 17:23
Here's some pictures of Holts Wharf.

Bob McColl
17th April 2007, 03:55
There was one pub "The Red Lion" on Nathan road that was great for a pint in the afternoon when shopping, as it did not have "Hostess's". They were for night frolics.

Hague
17th April 2007, 10:35
Used to do a nice Guinness over Kirin

Hugh Ferguson
21st April 2007, 19:16
I have just posted a photograph taken in 1957 at the wedding reception of Tam Chen and Jacky Cheng. See this in the Gallery under Life Onboard.
I wonder if there is anyone who could verify the two Blue Funnel people whose names were, I believe, John Powell 2nd engineer and John Beglin, Chief steward on-board the Blue Funnel Victory ship, MENTOR.

Hague
21st April 2007, 20:27
The man standing directly behind the Chief Steward looks remarkably like Gary (Tailor) who was in competition with Jacky in the early mid 60s. Or am I looking at Jacky and Gary is someone else?????

Hugh Ferguson
22nd April 2007, 09:42
The man standing directly behind the Chief Steward looks remarkably like Gary (Tailor) who was in competition with Jacky in the early mid 60s. Or am I looking at Jacky and Gary is someone else?????

I can't be sure who it is, but I am in E.mail communication with one of Tam Chen's daughters who will almost certainly know who it was. Hugh.

Hague
22nd April 2007, 10:15
Visited Hong Kong last November (one day) as I was in Shenzen on business.
No 'Waltzing Matilda', No 'Hasty Tasty'. Made do with afternoon tea in the Peninsular which was excellent as it was the only decent cup of tea since I had arrived in China 10 days earlier. Strange, but after 40 years I was eager to see whether a large red neon sign 'Ricoh' was still visible from Holt's Wharf area (Wharf long gone) as I used to 'fix' on that sign when I had no money to go ashore and I would spend the evening with a few cans of Tennants and stand on the 'offshore side' looking at HK . Did any others 'focus' on the same sign. It was there 60/67.

Hague
22nd April 2007, 13:13
Hope all you Alfie Holt blokes remember that the Ben Line also ran to Hong Kong and Ben Line also had their own Wharf at Kowloon, can remember being on Benvrackie (ex SamAffric) with both anchors down going full ahead, 10 knots on a Liberty during a Typhoon , quite a frightening experience. A Dutch
ship was flung high and dry on Rushcutters that time. Pubs were the Red Lion
and also Jimmy's, the Matilda came later. The best thing was that Milk Bar
just outside the Gate, a genuine milk shake tasted great after afew months
on a tin of condensed. I always thought that Mary collected the messroom scraps to sell to the restaurants to be made in to chop suey!!!
Revisited Honkers the year the place was handed back and it certainly had changed a lot.
Ern Barrett

Didn't realize that Ben Line had their own berths in Kowloon.
I suppose you could say us 'China Boat' men were somewhat insular. A self criticism would be that we did not consider there was another part of the British Merchant Navy. Having said that, we were the best!
Hmmmm

Hugh Ferguson
13th May 2007, 19:06
[QUOTE=benjidog;70613]Another welcome to SN Jmaw.

You can only paste small pictures in a thread - the place to upload to is the Gallery. You can also put a cross reference in this thread afterwards if you like by getting the uploaded picture on the screen, using CTRL-C to copy the address of it from the address bar, then add it to a posting by using the little symbol that looks like the globe with a pair of sunglasses in front. PM me if you are not sure what I am on about.

Regards,

Brian, what is a cross reference, and what does it achieve? Hugh

PADDY
23rd June 2007, 16:54
Hi There!
The waltzing Matilda was a great spot for a drink, if I remember rightly there was a great hamburger place one or two doors down.
the following is the famous poem from the Matilda:

THE PRESERVATION OF MAN

The horse and mule live thirty years,
And nothing know of wine and beers.
The goat and sheep at twenty die
With never a taste of scotch or rye.
The cow drinks water by the ton
And at 18 is mostly done.
The dog at 16 cashes in
Without he aid of rum or gin.
The cat in milk and water soaks
And then in 12 short years it croaks.
The modest, sober, bone dry hen
Lays eggs for nogs, then dies at 10.
All animals are strictly dry
They sinless live and swiftly die.
But sinful, ginful, rum soaked men
Survive for three score years and ten
And some of us, the mighty few,
Stay pickled till we’re 92.

With Compliments of
WALTZING MATILDA INN
9,CORNWALL AVENUE, KOWLOON,H.K.

MICK SIMS HOMELY PUB.

Best wishes
Paddy

rothesian
23rd June 2007, 18:37
thanks Paddy I was looking for that one
Alistair

Hank
28th June 2007, 20:27
I've just posted on the Gallery file, under Life on Board, a photograph entitled "Tam Choi and friends." Her friends are a couple of, I would assume, Blue Funnel/Glen Line people on board a ship alongside Holt's Wharf sometime, I would again assume, in the 50's.
I wonder if either of them might see this photo, or possibly, someone may recognise one, or other of them!?!
Greetings everybody. I've just joined the group.
Hugh, I can tell you all about the photograph. It was taken by Tam Chen on my camera, shortly after I had taken one of the two sisters. Mary was modelling the dressing gown for us - I subsequently bought it from her as a present for someone back home. The guy on the left of the picture was the 2nd sparks. He was called 'Coop' so I presume that his name was Cooper or something like that. (I never was any good with names, that's why I've tended to leave them off all the pictures on my web site - so that I won't offend anyone by getting their names wrong.) The one on the right (Mary's left) was my good self. Probably still third mate, although I was promoted to second at about that time. The ship was the Ajax. It was 1954. (I was out there from '53 to '55).
The original picture, together with the one of the sisters, can be seen on my website at
http://www.pentredu.freeserve.co.uk/tamsisters.html
Hank

trotterdotpom
29th June 2007, 14:12
I looked up the Waltzing Matilda bar recently and it looks like it's still there but now it's a "Gay Bar" - so keep a stiff upper lip if you're planning on a trip down memory lane.

John T.

Hugh Ferguson
11th September 2007, 19:38
I've just posted a good photograph of Tam Chen (whose name now is Wai Jane Tam), her daughter, Rita and her two children. They have just returned from a cruise in the Caribbean aboard the MONARCH of the SEAS.
The picture has been filed in Life On Board. Go to:-
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/80023/limit/recent

Bill Davies
11th September 2007, 20:48
There used to be a fish and chip shop across the road from theWM called the 'Hasty Tasty'. Also a tatooist called Rose's.

Bill Davies
13th September 2007, 21:34

Trevorw
Just a small point but I think you will have loaded from the junks whilst at anchor, more likely the buoys. I mention that only because it was a 'real workup' as you had to split the cable and there was also that insurance wire (stowed under te foc'sle which had to be made ready.

I remember the Waltzing Matilda, Hasty Tasty (Fish and Chip shop opposite) and Roses tatoo all in Caernarvon Road off Nathan Road.
Also, Jacky, Gary (Tailors) Mary and So So La (I don't recall she was a scouser)

KENNEEDHAM
7th November 2007, 22:43
sorry john but is was kowloon

Hugh Ferguson
16th August 2008, 20:06
I've just posted a good photograph of Tam Chen (whose name now is Wai Jane Tam), her daughter, Rita and her two children. They have just returned from a cruise in the Caribbean aboard the MONARCH of the SEAS.
The picture has been filed in Life On Board. Go to:-
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/80023/limit/recent

I'm sure there will be quite a few who would like to know that it's this dear lady's 79th birthday on Wednesday, 27th Aug. Since emigrating to the U.S.A. her name was changed to Wai Jane Tam.

Bill Davies
16th August 2008, 20:17
Hugh,
The years have been kind to her.

Pat Kennedy
17th August 2008, 20:36
Was it Anchor beer in Hong Kong, and Tiger beer in Singapore? or the other way round?
Either way, we used to put a few bottles in a bucket and hang it over the side to cool off. No fridges for the crowd in those days

Bill Davies
17th August 2008, 20:57
I think it was Anchor in HK and Tiger in Singapore?????????? I hope you did not hang those baskets over the side iwo of the seamens house (Stbd side)

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
17th August 2008, 21:08
Port side seemed to be favourite Bill, and each bottle securely hitched to the bucket handle with a whammy, to prevent drifting away.
Pat

Bill Davies
17th August 2008, 21:48
Yes, it is all coming back!

Ian6
17th August 2008, 22:18
I first called at HK in about 1956 in a tanker when we went to Tsan Wuan, then deep into New Territory, (Now the end of one of the metro lines in HK).
More relevantly I became a regular with P&O in the late 50's and early 60's on cargo ships and 'Canton' on the Yokohama mail service. As well as the tailoring services so well described above I remember us buying 'blank' tape recorder tapes. They were the reel-to-reel variety, about 7 inch diameter that played for a whole hour (or 90 mins on long play).
My first visit 'My Fair Lady' was the hit musical in the USA but not released in UK and for the price of a blank tape you got it with an illicit copy of almost anything you named, same price.
Sad, now, to think of buying boot-leg LP copies of musicals, but they had a distinct and useful appeal to young ladies back in Britain.
It was always striking to discharge cargo from what then seemed the height of western technology into a junk manned by a whole family. I remember looking over the rail of 'Canton' into a junk where a 500 year old granny was cooking dinner in a wok on a charcoal burner and then going down myself to the Restaurant for whatever was on for First Class that night.
Been back several times with my wife, somethings remain but it is another world in most respects.
I loved the Far East, pity I was born too late to be a planter or something between the wars.
Ian

jmcg
17th August 2008, 23:55
Pat/Bill

Don't remember the Anchor brand in HK. Do remember the TSINGTAO in the green bottle though to say nothing of the San Miguel. The former is available in the UK, but has not changed. Still rough. Have not come across San Miguel since.

A very fine ale is Batemans Victory -available at good supermarkets - HTs may not have it though. Highly recommended!

BW

J

Bill - ever come across a guy called Swindells in AH. Think he made Master.

Suffered from Alapecia (can't spell that word).

Bill Davies
18th August 2008, 23:13
Pat/Bill

Don't remember the Anchor brand in HK. Do remember the TSINGTAO in the green bottle though to say nothing of the San Miguel. The former is available in the UK, but has not changed. Still rough. Have not come across San Miguel since.

A very fine ale is Batemans Victory -available at good supermarkets - HTs may not have it though. Highly recommended!

BW

J

Bill - ever come across a guy called Swindells in AH. Think he made Master.

Suffered from Alapecia (can't spell that word).

John,

Thankfully, that is a rather a rare name and it does ring bells but I cannot say whether it is a name I remember from the'the China'.

Sailed with an AB in BF with condition you mention . Pat McElhinney, a thoroughly nice guy. We were both studying for Second Mates (FG) in the foc'sle but unfortunately I do not think he continued. It was always the Maths that stopped so many good men succeeding.

Brgds

Bill

lakercapt
19th August 2008, 03:55
Tsingtao beer is from the same named place in PRC (unless its changed its name).
Visited the brewery .
It originally was in the German trading zone and the beer was brewed to the strict standards of that country. Thought it was great stuff.

jmcg
19th August 2008, 12:33
Lakercapt

You can still get Tsingtoa in crates in MACKRO. Crate hasnt changed. Still a cheap drink but comes with an expensive hangover.

Try the Batemans Victory ale - 6% alcohol mind but a fine drink in small quantities.

BW

J

R651400
19th August 2008, 12:56
Tsingtao beer is from the same named place in PRC (unless its changed its name).Visited the brewery.It originally was in the German trading zone and the beer was brewed to the strict standards of that country. Thought it was great stuff.
San Miguel not often recognised in Europe as being a 100% Philippino company. Digressing from the thread slightly Efes (Ephesus) Turkey's national beer brewed also to the highest German braumeister standards.
Back to Holt's Wharf and a wishful ice cold pint or two or three of Tiger tops.

Pat Kennedy
19th August 2008, 13:26
Ref San Miguel. Thats correct, they have a brewery in Mandaue City, Cebu, which I visited in 1994. Its very efficient and turns out one of the best beers I've ever tasted.
Pat

jmcg
19th August 2008, 22:35
Pat

After two score years and ten not seeing San Miguel I was in Wrexham Sainsburys this afternoon and lo behold it was on sale there - fully branded as San Miguel. Noted it was brewed in the UK. Is this the same one as the Manilla Brew ? Was not tempted as I had already purchased my "tap" of Badger Fursty Ferret and Batemans Victory.

BW

J.

TonyAllen
20th August 2008, 19:50
Hi.in Hong Kong many times 55/58 went back with my wife in 1970 could not believe the change in the place but it still brought many memories of the china boats. The mention of the canton railway reminded me of christmas in Hong Kong,a mate of mine was in the army in the new territories so I took a train up to fan ling the pub there was called "the better ole" but he was confind to barracks but being a scouser that did not stop him from jumping the wire with me in tow, god knows what i was thinking of but we went back to the Elpenor to spend christmas on board which was ok but for one thing we spent it on a bluey at anchor a good night was had by all and sailed the next day but guess who was left on board a ship that was at anchor without any identity papers what happend next is another story Ex vindi boy and china boats Tony Allen

jmcg
21st August 2008, 10:43
And ....

The "Tuborg"- again in a green bottle - awful stuff.

Pat Kennedy
21st August 2008, 19:37
And ....

The "Tuborg"- again in a green bottle - awful stuff.

Not as bad as Alsopps, which we called "All Slops", but drank it nevertheless.
The very best beer I ever tasted while at sea was Anchor Steam, in San Francisco.
Pat

Hugh Ferguson
21st August 2008, 22:08
After 15 posts on beer (not sold to my knowledge on Holt's Wharf) here's a picture of a ship! She's the Menelaus at the buoys in 1923. You could always tell a "homeward bounder" because she would be loading from junks whilst moored to a typhoon buoy.
I wonder how many there still are who witnessed a scene such as this. That's what I loved about a Far East voyage-it was so very different.

Bill Davies
21st August 2008, 22:49
Hugh,

The scene is not so different to that experienced loading at the buoys in the 50s and as such you will have certainly have witnessed the same in the 40s.
I was recently (18 months ago) standing on a verandah (Holts Wharf) watching a firework display which appears to be a nightly occurrence.

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
21st August 2008, 22:53
Hugh

Worthy of a place on SN.

BW

J

R651400
16th September 2008, 13:18
This is probably one the best Blue Funnel photographs of it's time, uniquely taken from the air.
My only query is the name Menelaus as one of the goalpost/football class?
I think the only three who had the cross member on the rear goalposts were Ixion, Talthybius and Tyndareus.
The length of the name on the bow indicates one of the latter two.

Ken Green
16th September 2008, 15:48
Diomed had cross members on both goal posts.
Ken

BillH
16th September 2008, 16:26
This is probably one the best Blue Funnel photographs of it's time, uniquely taken from the air.
My only query is the name Menelaus as one of the goalpost/football class?
I think the only three who had the cross member on the rear goalposts were Ixion, Talthybius and Tyndareus.
The length of the name on the bow indicates one of the latter two.
Gents,
From my research into the fleet the following goalposters are recorded with crossmembers

Scotts built
yard No.
436 TALTHYBIUS 1911 Bellerophon Class (c11,500grt. - 511.9 x 63.3 x 41.1 feet)
442 IXION 1912 Bellerophon Class
460 TYNDAREUS 1916 Bellerophon Class
481 ACHILLES 1920 Bellerophon Class
505 PHILOCTETES 1922 Bellerophon Class

Workman Clark

Yard No.
357 CALCHAS 1921 Calchas Class (slightly smaller than Bellerophon Class c10,250grt. - 490.5 x 62.3 x 39.6 feet)
392 DIOMED 1923 Calchas Class

Caledon Shipbuilding
Yard No.
259 PERSEUS 1923 Calchas Class
274 MENELAUS 1923 Calchas Class

Bill

Hugh Ferguson
16th September 2008, 19:41
It was the first of the goal-posters that lacked the cross member on the after posts; Bellerophon; Titan; Cyclops; Teucer; Antilochus; and Protesilias 1910. The Menelaus was the last of the second group, 1912/23, commencing with the Ixion that all carried the after cross member. The Menelaus photograph was taken in 1923 and was, in all probability, on her maiden voyage.

R651400
16th September 2008, 19:44
BillH thanks for pointing out the last four which I missed.
The photo as Hugh originally posted accepted as Menelaus and hopefully one day the original of this unique shot comes to light.

Hugh Ferguson
18th September 2008, 21:54
This suit, made by Jacky Cheng (dcd. husband of Tam Chen) 40 years ago, still hangs in the wardrobe of one, Keith Douglas. Keith, who lives in Malaysia, cannot bring himself to part with it. He doesn't tell me if he still wears it!!

TonyAllen
18th September 2008, 23:05
am I right in thinking that there was a shirt maker in kowloon by the name of Wing Tak 55/59 Tony Allen

Hugh Ferguson
19th September 2008, 21:24
This suit, made by Jacky Cheng (dcd. husband of Tam Chen) 40 years ago, still hangs in the wardrobe of one, Keith Douglas. Keith, who lives in Malaysia, cannot bring himself to part with it. He doesn't tell me if he still wears it!!

On receipt of this news-a Jacky Taylor suit that's 40 years old-I e.mailed Rita (Cheng Wing Ling, the younger of Jacky's and Tam Chen's two daughters), with this extraordinary news. She replied within an hour from her home in Portland, Oregon with the following:- Seeing the picture I was so moved emotionally. Having so many of you from Blue Funnel still remembering my parents gives a very warm feeling. I shall print off the picture and send it to my Mom. Now, that my parent's shop was sold, every time I went to Hong Kong, I would stroll to that location and reminisce about the old days.

Succour
24th September 2008, 12:40
Since I have managed to resize a photograph I took of the Inside label of the suit Hugh refers to.
I thought I might post it to see if it brought back any memories the SN Members might have of the Jacky Tailor suit in a day experience.

All the Best.

Succour.

Bill Davies
25th September 2008, 22:14
Since I have managed to resize a photograph I took of the Inside label of the suit Hugh refers to.
I thought I might post it to see if it brought back any memories the SN Members might have of the Jacky Tailor suit in a day experience.

All the Best.

Succour.

Must have bought half a dozen of suits off Jacky. Label hadn't changed in 7 years as my last was bought in 61

Succour
7th November 2008, 09:46
Dear Members,
Can anyone help with the two mystery ships shown on the attached picture of Holt's Wharf, I guess around the sixties.

Succour.

steve2
31st December 2008, 19:20
For a black and white photo of Holts Wharf check up Cyclops in the Gallery
Steve

Hugh Ferguson
15th January 2009, 21:32
For a good picture of Holt's Wharf click HERE (www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/57017/ppuser/8509)

Bill Davies
15th January 2009, 21:54
Thanks Hugh, just as I remember it.

Bill

Hugh Ferguson
29th April 2009, 21:15
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

There must be hundreds of Blue Funnel people who knew, and still have pleasing memories of the Tam sisters, Tam King, Tam Choi and Tam Chen.
I'm sorry to tell you that there is great sadness in Tam Chen's family this very day. On 11th Feb. 2009 I received an E.mail from Rita (Cheng Wing Ling), the younger of her two daughters, telling me that Jeff, her younger brother, had been stricken with colon cancer. Not having heard any further news I E.mailed Rita just yesterday and received an immediate reply telling me that her brother had died the day before, aged 41.

Geoff Brant
26th November 2009, 22:33

Hi, I remember Mary well, sailed on bluies from late `68 to `78
First trips to HK were on SS Theseus, always discharged at Holt`s Wharf, anyone remember sweet &sour pork at the mission or other favourite was peppered steak, remember hasty tasty`s, waltzing matilda, bottoms up
etc etc.
Happy Days !!!!!!!!!

Hugh Ferguson
26th November 2009, 23:48
Tam Choy was the middle of the three sisters. Eldest was Tam King; Tam Chen was the youngest and it was she who was Jacky's wife.

Succour
19th April 2010, 07:59
Another familiar name in HK selling watches.
Found this Price List circa 1969.
Old prices but seemed a lot then.
Still have a self winder that works to this day.
Attached front and back pics.
Memories...
Succour

Peter Martin
19th April 2010, 17:39
Holts Wharf

I recently returned from a visit to NZ and had 24 hours in Hong Kong. Frankly I was astounded! I recognised very little.
I was able to persuade my travelling pals to visit the Mariners Club in Kowloon and, indeed, we had breakfast there. It is very much as I remember it from the early 70's.
Looked for Holt's Wharf , but as has been stated, long gone.
Other landmarks? Clock Tower at Kowloon Side Star Ferry; Peak Tramway (although now modernised & the Peninsular Hotel.
I even thought of seeking out my 'Little Butterfly', who worked at a bar called the 'Nightjar' in Nathan Road. It's now a shopping centre. - This is possibly a good thing as she wood be as old and wrinkled now as I am.
Everything was spotless and there seems to have been a change in atitude to the old habit of spitting!
The 'New' airport is a relevation; most efficient, clean and user friendly. To be deposited back at Terminal 1 Heathrow was a shock, escalators not working grime everywhere and a gentleman's lavatory which smelled like a public convenience. I don't think I'll go again; makes me feel so damned inferior!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
21st April 2010, 20:41
It was accepted as a fact of life in Swires that the decline and fall of Blue Funnel could be dated from 1967, when they "got the wind up" over the Star Ferry Riots leading to their decision in 1972 to see Holt's Wharf to New World Developments for a paltry seven million pounds.

Compare and contrast what Swires did with the Taikoo Dockyard - whilst remaining in the shiprepair business as 50% shareholders with Hutchison in HUD.

mike beglin
25th April 2010, 17:20
Hello Hugh, I can confirm that the man on the far right of the photograph is John Beglin who was the Chief Steward of the Mentor. I am a new member of this site and am Johns nephew, Mike Beglin. Best wishes, Mike.

Hugh Ferguson
25th April 2010, 17:59
Many thanks, Mike, for that information, I felt certain that somebody would eventually recognise who it was and hey presto now we do.
I'm sure you will find a lot from Blue Funnel people on this site and that you will much enjoy all of it. All the best, Hugh. (PS. Just last week my wife received a birthday card from Tam Chen!)

The Dog
18th July 2010, 01:47
Hello Hugh, I can confirm that the man on the far right of the photograph is John Beglin who was the Chief Steward of the Mentor. I am a new member of this site and am Johns nephew, Mike Beglin. Best wishes, Mike.

What photograph I must be missing something here. Hi Mike, I was with your uncle John in Achilles 1959/60. He was as nice and generous man I ever met. Unfortunatly he was something of an innocent at large and would put £100 or more of his own money into the bar to cover all the drinks the shoreside freeloaders had blagged off him (yes even the Blue Funnel had them, mostly high on the social scale). He lived in terror that his sister, presumably your mother, would find out how soft a touch he was. He was always nervous at being caught out, which he was regularly. I always pictured her as something like the Medusa until one day I saw him with a lovely young girl, little more than a child, outside the Regent ( now Saint Mary's OB club). I asked him later who his girl friend was and he looked sheepish and said my sister. John Beglin and his sidekick chef Alec Stone made Achilles the best feeder I ever sailed in, John could always get the bond open crossing the Bar and give us an issue of cigarettes and drink.
He was a Goody.

Bruce Ewen
24th November 2010, 08:39
I have a moth-eaten photo of Automedon alongside Holt's Wharf in late 1966. That area is now the New World Hotel complex and convention centre. Harbour City, which also incorporates Ocean Terminal, is a bit over to the west by Star Ferry. Ocean Terminal had just been completed when I first visited HK and the first ship to use it was one of the (then) new Glen Line ships - Glenalmond I think. Even before a cruise ship used it. I have a photo or two of that event also. I'll post them in the gallery later. Some nice memories in this thread.

Bruce Ewen
24th November 2010, 12:04
I've posted a tatty photo (actually print-stained neg) of Automedon at Holts Wharf 1966. The 'Mish' was on the hill at the left. I've also posted Glenalmond on her maiden voyage. They are under "Cargo Vessels" in the gallery and can search by ship's name.

Hugh Ferguson
24th November 2010, 22:58
What photograph I must be missing something here. Hi Mike, I was with your uncle John in Achilles 1959/60. He was as nice and generous man I ever met. Unfortunatly he was something of an innocent at large and would put £100 or more of his own money into the bar to cover all the drinks the shoreside freeloaders had blagged off him (yes even the Blue Funnel had them, mostly high on the social scale). He lived in terror that his sister, presumably your mother, would find out how soft a touch he was. He was always nervous at being caught out, which he was regularly. I always pictured her as something like the Medusa until one day I saw him with a lovely young girl, little more than a child, outside the Regent ( now Saint Mary's OB club). I asked him later who his girl friend was and he looked sheepish and said my sister. John Beglin and his sidekick chef Alec Stone made Achilles the best feeder I ever sailed in, John could always get the bond open crossing the Bar and give us an issue of cigarettes and drink.
He was a Goody.

"What photo" is it this one (www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/55112/title/tam-choi26amp-3b-friends/cat/500)?

Bruce Ewen
25th November 2010, 02:49
No, it's this one for Holt's Wharf/Automedon: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/260005/title/m-vautomedon/cat/510

And this one for Glenalmond/Ocean Terminal: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/260006/title/glenalmond281-29/cat/510

Pat Kennedy
25th November 2010, 09:42
He was a Goody.

Pat,
You're spot on about John Beglin and Alec Stone, both of them were nice guys, and as you say the Achilles was a good feeder.
Alec Stone ran a happy galley, none of his crew had a bad word to say about him.
Another good egg in the catering staff was the Second Steward, I think his surname was Early, but I forget his first name.
In fact, apart from Bill Carmody, and a couple of the ABs who were bullies, I got on well with everyone as a first trip deck boy in her.
Regards,
Pat(Wave)

The Dog
26th November 2010, 00:33
Pat,
You're spot on about John Beglin and Alec Stone, both of them were nice guys, and as you say the Achilles was a good feeder.
Alec Stone ran a happy galley, none of his crew had a bad word to say about him.
Another good egg in the catering staff was the Second Steward, I think his surname was Early, but I forget his first name.
In fact, apart from Bill Carmody, and a couple of the ABs who were bullies, I got on well with everyone as a first trip deck boy in her.
Regards,
Pat(Wave)

Hi Pat. Second Steward was Johnny Early, or Pat, good looking Irish lad with black curly hair. Your right he was a good guy as was the Tiger Blackburn and Lampy Ginger Pollit. She was a happy ship. One evening at tea (Dinner) Carmody had left his teeth on the Old Man lead on the fore deck, Ginger told the peggy to go and get them and never mind the dark because they would be gleaming green in the dark.

Pat Kennedy
26th November 2010, 09:11
Hi Pat. Second Steward was Johnny Early, or Pat, good looking Irish lad with black curly hair. Your right he was a good guy as was the Tiger Blackburn and Lampy Ginger Pollit. She was a happy ship. One evening at tea (Dinner) Carmody had left his teeth on the Old Man lead on the fore deck, Ginger told the peggy to go and get them and never mind the dark because they would be gleaming green in the dark.

When I was in her, I was sailor's peggy outward bound, and PO's peggy homeward.
Carmody's room was a tip.Thankfully, I never saw him without his teeth, I was freaked out enough by his wash basin!
The chippy, George Kalitkin, and the Lampy, both had spotlessly clean cabins, just need a quick flick around with the mop, but Carmody's took me half an hour every morning.
I remember watching Alec Stone dip his hand into a pan of cold water, then whip a fried egg off the hotplate with the same hand, just to show it could be done.
Was Mike Dutton EDH on her with you?
Regards,
Pat(Wave)

Peter Trodden
27th November 2010, 19:53
Pat,
was the chippy,George Kalitkin ex R.N. and lives in Saughall Massie? peter.

Pat Kennedy
27th November 2010, 20:43
Peter,
The very same George Kalitkin.
He lived in a sheltered housing bungalow in Woodpecker Close estate in S.Massie, about three doors from my mother.
I met him when I came to install a new central heating boiler, and we sort of looked at each other for a minute, and George said, "Werent you the deck boy on the Achilles, way back?"
This was about 1988, so I imagine George has passed on by now. He was a nice guy and a good chippy.
His son, also George, was a shipwright in Cammell Lairds, I dont know if he ever went to sea though.
Best Regards,
Pat

ernhelenbarrett
28th November 2010, 05:10
Did anyone go into the drydock in Kowloon for a haircut and shave? Ben Line used it regularly and there was a huge Ben Line Houseflag painted on the rocks at the head of the dock. Did you know that there was also a Holts Wharf on the Bund at Shanghai. I berthed there in 1947/48 on Benvrackie ex Samaffric and a bottle of beer cost 640 CNC Dollars(about 6d) This was at the time the Present Chinese Government and the Nationals were fighting and we were the 2nd last ship to leave Shanghai before the Communists took over. We got out okay but the Blue Funnel ship Anchises was shelled coming down the river and I believe 14 were killed on her as she had a Chinese crew. I remember it was freezing and snowing when we sailed.
Ern Barrett

TonyAllen
28th November 2010, 11:20
Ern tied up on the Bund on the Elpenor in 1955 and it was not a good time
they gave the chinease crew a hard time and inspected us all ondeck in freezing
weather

Peter Trodden
28th November 2010, 14:11
Pat,
You will be pleased to hear that George Kalitkin is alive and kicking. I met him for the first time 6mts ago in the Central Hotel,B-Head,and see him often on a Fri,Sat, lunch time if I call in there or around the corner in the George & Dragon. He's in his mid 80s but still has total recall when yarning about his time in the R.N. and the Bluies.
ttfn.Peter.

Pat Kennedy
28th November 2010, 15:17
Pat,
You will be pleased to hear that George Kalitkin is alive and kicking. I met him for the first time 6mts ago in the Central Hotel,B-Head,and see him often on a Fri,Sat, lunch time if I call in there or around the corner in the George & Dragon. He's in his mid 80s but still has total recall when yarning about his time in the R.N. and the Bluies.
ttfn.Peter.

Thats good to hear Peter.
Next time you see him, give him my regards.
Cheers,
Pat(Thumb)

Peter Trodden
29th November 2010, 12:50
Ern,
I was in that Dry dock Kowloon side (Whampoe?) I was there for 2 weeks on the Cyclops,after a collision at sea with a Paddy Henderson Boat (another story) It was Oct,1955 and I remember well that cut out rock at the head of the dock with various funnels painted on it.
There was already a B/F.funnel painted there,but our Middies (Cadets) decided it needed the house flag and ships name added.
The Peggies(me 2nd trip)were volunteered to help get the gear up on top of that mini Gibraltar,and it was a hell of a climb with bosun chairs,gantlines,lizards and various pots of paint. By the time it was all set up every body was knacked and it was getting dark,so it was decided to leave it untill the next day.
When finished it looked very impressive,they even gave the Blue Funnel a 2nd coat(==D)
ttfn.Peter.

Suentimb
19th December 2010, 21:54
The first time i visited Hong Kong was in 1961 i flew out to join an old tramp the [Worthy Down ] Manns of London they only had 2 ships , i was 2nd trip A.B. i can still remember it as if it was yesterday i walked into Prescott st pool the fella behind the jump said "A.B. wanted to join the Worthy Down in Borneo " so i says to him "Borneo wheres Borneo " " south america " says he " i,ll take her " i said , as i was walking to the company office in whittington ave just of leadenhall st i thought to myself " Borneo thats not in south america it,s north of Australia but what do i care i,m going on a plane ride " big thing in 1961 , anyhow i ended up joining her in Hong Kong , i got more than i bargained for i paid off sick in Shanghai 3 months later again i was flown back home [ long story ] after visiting the far east i knew i wanted to get back out there but not to many ships out of London pool went out east , i ended up with Blue Funnel great shipping company , anyhow i started to read this thread with regards to Jacky tailor it was only a few days back that i opened my wardrobe and there as plain as day was one off jacky tailor,s wooden coathangers , i had that suit [ long gone ] made on the Antilochus in 1964 even that suit had a story attached to it some time later in Buenos Aires i wont bore you with that but i must say it was great to read about Jacky and also the sew sew ladies i can see them now when they came aboard Blue Funnel ships they used to call out " sew sew la " thanks for the memories .

I have two of those coat hangers from my dads time with Blue Flue, would never part with them...

Tim Bickerdike

J.Dowd
19th December 2010, 23:09
Interesting thread. Spend most of my 'down time' gazing at what used to be 'Holts Wharf' from over here in Admiralty

Graham McMorine
20th April 2011, 14:09
I have two of those coat hangers from my dads time with Blue Flue, would never part with them...

Tim Bickerdike

I too have a Jackie Taylor coathanger and also a wooden Glen Line one. Absalutly priceless , I think it may well be buried with me . (==D)(==D)

Hugh Ferguson
26th October 2011, 13:00
Look out for postings from Nancy Chau-she has just signed on- Nancy is of the Wang Kee family.

DURANGO
29th October 2011, 22:29
Did anyone go into the drydock in Kowloon for a haircut and shave? Ben Line used it regularly and there was a huge Ben Line Houseflag painted on the rocks at the head of the dock. Did you know that there was also a Holts Wharf on the Bund at Shanghai. I berthed there in 1947/48 on Benvrackie ex Samaffric and a bottle of beer cost 640 CNC Dollars(about 6d) This was at the time the Present Chinese Government and the Nationals were fighting and we were the 2nd last ship to leave Shanghai before the Communists took over. We got out okay but the Blue Funnel ship Anchises was shelled coming down the river and I believe 14 were killed on her as she had a Chinese crew. I remember it was freezing and snowing when we sailed.
Ern Barrett I,M sure that I could see that wharf from the hospital that I spent time in back in 1962 fact I,m sure that there was a AH painted on the roof of that same shed regards Dave .

capt.jim
30th October 2011, 12:00
I believe there was a wharf manager (cannat recall his name) who was held under house arrest ,after the communist take over, for quite a long time there was definately a holt`s wharl in shanghai

Hugh Ferguson
30th October 2011, 14:46
I believe there was a wharf manager (cannat recall his name) who was held under house arrest ,after the communist take over, for quite a long time there was definately a holt`s wharl in shanghai

Yes, there was: I was there in the maiden voyage Agapenor in 1947.

DURANGO
30th October 2011, 16:57
Yes, there was: I was there in the maiden voyage Agapenor in 1947. Great ship the old Agapenor I had my 20th birthday on her first Bluey that I was ever in , the bosun was Charlie Taylor a real nice man great ship great crowd on deck this was in late 1962 we where on the Java run I think the Dutch blueys had to transfer to other routes in the far east if I, m wrong I,m sure that there are plenty on here who will know the exact details regards Dave .

Hank
30th October 2011, 17:42
Did you know that there was also a Holts Wharf on the Bund at Shanghai. I berthed there in 1947/48 on Benvrackie ex Samaffric and a bottle of beer cost 640 CNC Dollars(about 6d) This was at the time the Present Chinese Government and the Nationals were fighting and we were the 2nd last ship to leave Shanghai before the Communists took over. We got out okay but the Blue Funnel ship Anchises was shelled coming down the river and I believe 14 were killed on her as she had a Chinese crew. I remember it was freezing and snowing when we sailed.
Ern Barrett

Holt's Wharf was in Pootung on the opposite bank to the Bund. Anchises was bombed by the Nationalists on 21 June 1949 whilst going up river - after the Communists had taken over the city. 4 people were injured, but none killed. There was a manager there and the Blue Funnel Club also had a European manager. The navy used to use the berths and that was where Amethyst sailed from on the trip that she got shot up. There was a good football pitch behind the godowns.
Cheers, John

Jardine
1st November 2011, 14:02
Occasionally meet up with one of the remaining members of Jacky Tailors family. He still lives in TST (Kowloon).

Hugh Ferguson
1st November 2011, 18:55
Jacky Cheng died years ago and left his wife, Tam Chen, a widow with 4 children who all emigrated to Canada and the U.S.A.. She later also migrated to U.S.A. and now lives in San Jose near one of her off-spring one of whom died a couple of years ago aged 40.

Jardine
3rd November 2011, 23:40
This member of the family was not directly engaged in tailoring. I believe he had something to do with Ah King.

Geoff Walker
4th November 2011, 08:02
Greeting Jmaw.
In 1953 I arrived in HKG (at 8 yrs of age) and remained until 1991. Most of my time at sea was spent tramping around Asia with HKG as my main hub. Have lots of shipping experiences, photos, paintings and memrobilia relating to HKG shipping during the 60/70's. I am happy to relay if will assist your research. Suggest email me on oceanicsolutions@gmail.com. I shall scan and send some items if u so wish.
Geoff

Jardine
4th November 2011, 09:44
Good afternoon to you Geoff,
I have lived in Shek O for past 30 years. A Blue Flu middy of the 50s. I too tramped around Asia 60s and 70s. I'll email you.

Geoff Walker
4th November 2011, 16:04
I have lived in Shek O for past 30 years. A Blue Flu middy of the 50s. I too tramped around Asia 60s and 70s. I'll email you.

Good,
Look forward to hearing from you.
My Best
Geoff

teb
4th November 2011, 21:08

G'Day Jardine- Played golf at Shek O for 26 years and was with your namesake for nearly as many years before running my own show- Regards Teb.

Jardine
5th November 2011, 00:33
We must have sailed together.

Jardine
12th November 2011, 20:17
Geoff, Teb and others HK traders,

I don't know whether you are aware that the China Tea Club, Pedder Street HKC has recently closed down. Best Club Sandwich in all HK.
I was a regular for the last 15 years.

teb
13th November 2011, 03:41
Geoff, Teb and others HK traders,

I don't know whether you are aware that the China Tea Club, Pedder Street HKC has recently closed down. Best Club Sandwich in all HK.
I was a regular for the last 15 years.

And another one bites the dust- what a pity!!!

Jardine
13th November 2011, 15:07
Stanley has changed also. The Pickled Pelican pub franchise has been there a few years but this year we have a McDonalds. Too much.

Graeme Wood
4th January 2012, 11:54
I too have a Jackie Taylor coathanger and also a wooden Glen Line one. Absalutly priceless , I think it may well be buried with me . (==D)(==D)

Hi Guys

I live in Johannesburg South Africa
I found a coat hanger from the Blue Funnel line
I was trying to find out what ship it was off as there are no other markings on the hanger

Also like to find out if it is worth anything

Best regards
Graeme
graeme-wood@live.co.za

Hugh Ferguson
26th January 2012, 18:31
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

Clck HERE (www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/52858/title/tam-chen/cat/500) for photo

Pat Kennedy
26th January 2012, 19:53
Hong Kong Mary as we knew her had a remarkable memory for the roundeye face.
When I was in HK on the Achilles, I bought some shirts and pants from her 'shop' in the recreation room, but was $5 short. "Ok", she said, "you pay me next trip"
next time I was there was a full year later on the Memnon.
She spotted me on deck as she boarded.
"You owe me 5 dollah"
Pat

jmcg
29th January 2012, 21:11
Quote " Also like to find out if it is worth anything"

Certainly worth hanging your best suit on it Graeme.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Tai Pan
31st January 2012, 16:20
keep quiet Graeme, somebody will send you the bill. broaching ships equipment.

Hugh Ferguson
29th December 2012, 17:47
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

A Christmas card from a friendly relationship which began no less then 66 years ago!

Hugh Ferguson
29th December 2012, 19:10

I should have preceded my last post with this from Trevorw.

alan ward
29th December 2012, 20:49
Do I remember the Waltzing Matilda! Correct me if I'm wrong - up Nathan Road and 2nd or 3rd on the right! HK$320 to take the girl out of the bar for the evening!

Cameron Road

red lead
3rd April 2013, 21:25
Cameron Road

Cornwall avenue

Johnny Walker
4th April 2013, 11:12
Cornwall avenue

There was two Waltzing Matildas one in cameron road and one in Cornwall avenue. One was a gay bar

Peter Martin
4th April 2013, 11:36
Got me worried now! Which was which????

Johnny Walker
4th April 2013, 14:42
Got me worried now! Which was which????

I am talking about the late 70's early 80's, if your memories are of the one that had a little card that you put on your beer that said " Please do not touch have gone for a wee wee" You were in the wrong bar? Or maybe the wright bar ? depending on your preferences.

PADDY
6th April 2013, 11:47
This should solve the problem.

jmcg
6th April 2013, 20:29

Are you still working for the Police Bill?

Hugh Ferguson
7th April 2013, 11:41
Some pictures of Tam family.

Hugh Ferguson
7th April 2013, 13:25
Three more pictures showing Tam Chen's marriage to Jacky Cheng and a much later one of her having been for a cruise with daughter Cheng Wing Ling and children looking very Americanised. They live in San Jose.

Anyone recognise the Blue Funnel guest at the reception?

China sea Pilot
15th April 2013, 13:28
Still occasionally meet up with Jacky Tailors son. Some relationship
with the Tam family. Lives in TST (Kowloon). Surprising how many of still live around Sheko and Lamma.

jmcg
15th April 2013, 13:51
Still occasionally meet up with Jacky Tailors son. Some relationship
with the Tam family. Lives in TST (Kowloon). Surprising how many of still live around Sheko and Lamma.

Any in Shropshire?

J

Hugh Ferguson
20th June 2013, 10:51
See her photograph (just posted) in the Life on Board section. or click HERE (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/52858/title/tam-chen/cat/500)

BIG JOHN L
2nd August 2013, 11:17
Plenty of memories with all comments on Holts Wharf, but no mention of the MN football pitch which BF played many a game,even from our worthy opponents the BEN LINE.

Hugh Ferguson
27th July 2014, 18:15
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.

She's just had a birthday and I sent a card to her at her home in San Jose where she now lives, near one of her daughters.
She was so pleased with the card that she is going to have it framed and keep it as a treasured memory from our first meeting with her and her two elder sisters 68 years ago!

This was the motif on the card, a Glen boat alongside Holt's Wharf.