SS Bencairn

Ian329
13th August 2006, 12:36
Sailed on the Bencairn from September 1973. Met her in the Royal Albert Dock in London.

People on board, Andy Strachan, (5th Engineer) John Thompson, (4th Engineer) Brian Taylor, (4th. Engineer) George Gun, (1st. Leckie) Big Dave (third engineer), John Gillhoolie, (Spark).

Sailed right round the world, through the Panama Canal.

Big thrill was the water box on the main condenser bursting forcing us to go into the Azores for emergency repairs.

Biggest hate was blowing soot! More came down the back of the boiler than up the stack!

Used to love the tins of black magic chocolates you could buy out the bond.

Could go on forever, but will see if anyone remembers anything else.

Ian Graham (7th Engineer) Were there that many in these days!!!

R58484956
13th August 2006, 13:32
A warm welcome Ian to SN enjoy the site and all that goes with it, quite a few ex Ben line on here.

Gulpers
13th August 2006, 14:52
Ian,
A warm welcome to the site, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates. Good luck! (Thumb)

Nova Scotian
13th August 2006, 15:26
Hi Ian:

Welcome to the SN site. I sailed on the Bencairn, as 3/0, when she was under the Ellerman flag as the City of Brisbane. At that time she was on the UK/South African run. I left her in October of 1970, in drydock in Cardiff, just before she was handed over to Ben Line along with her sister ship City of Winchester. They were great steam ships, well built and carried a full cargo out and back. Blowing tubes, from the bridge perspective, was always a challenge too and usually required a large course deviation.

Where did the Bencairn go after her time with Ben Line?

The attached thumbnail is of the City of Winchester entering Cape Town in the summer of 1970. Her last voyage before going to Bens.

Cheers

Ian329
14th August 2006, 12:19
She was scrapped in Kaoshuing in 1975. I was back in Kaoshuing working in 2003. Still recognised the dock gates and a few bars!!

Ian329
14th August 2006, 12:20
Does anyone have any photos of the Bencairn?

ruud
14th August 2006, 12:50
Ahoy Ian,

Here the Bencairn, no sources.

Ian329
16th August 2006, 14:27
Thanks ruud, she looks a bit sad!

binliner
1st October 2007, 02:10
what I remember about the stay in the azores was sending a cadet ashore with about a fiver in us dollars for some wine and him coming back with an old wheelbarrow full bottles of wine.
I think we were there for about a week.
a lot of headaches but good times

Paul Barford
1st October 2007, 11:27
Sailed on the Bencairn from September 1973. Met her in the Royal Albert Dock in London.

People on board, Andy Strachan, (5th Engineer) John Thompson, (4th Engineer) Brian Taylor, (4th. Engineer) George Gun, (1st. Leckie) Big Dave (third engineer), John Gillhoolie, (Spark).

Sailed right round the world, through the Panama Canal.

Big thrill was the water box on the main condenser bursting forcing us to go into the Azores for emergency repairs.

Biggest hate was blowing soot! More came down the back of the boiler than up the stack!

Used to love the tins of black magic chocolates you could buy out the bond.

Could go on forever, but will see if anyone remembers anything else.

Ian Graham (7th Engineer) Were there that many in these days!!!
Welcome Ian!
As you joined the 'Cairn, I was on the Bennevis, seem to remember both ships being together in RA Dock.Sailed later with a few of the names you mentioned Brian Taylor(used to live quite close to him in 'Shields) George Gunn,sailed a couple of times with him.I was in touch with him a few years back, but have not heard anything from him for a long time. Legendary John Gilhoolie was on the Benattow with, you will find his name and stories in various posts! Enjoy the site.
Paul

EBenarty
1st October 2007, 23:40
Hi Ian,
I must have sailed with you as I was on the Cairn for 3 voyages until I got married my last voyage on her as Second Mate was June 1974.
Sexy Recksy was Captain and Paul Tennant was Ch. Off. !! Yes it was a great crew !!
Billy