"Nobby" Grayson.

Tony Crompton
14th August 2006, 22:49
Noel's name has been mentioned quite a few times in Brocklebank messages.

He is coming for lunch on Thursday so I wondered if anyone had any messages or memories they would like me to pass on. With any luck I may persuade him to join our group, he was Brocklebank "Born and Bred".
------------------------
Tony C

michael james
15th August 2006, 00:36
I never had the honour of sailing with him deep sea - an officer and Master held in high regard within the Co though - I did meet him at the Brocklebank Reunions, I think he attended both the 89 and 93 with his wife Please give him my very best wishes. (Pint)

Derek Roger
15th August 2006, 01:22
Never sailed with him but heard his name quite a bit . I think Allan Attack may have sailed with him ( I shall ask Alan ) and try to get him do do some posts ! He is quite anti computer I fear !

Jim Watson
23rd August 2006, 19:48
I remember Noel Grayson very well. We sailed together for must have been nigh on two years on the Macharda 1959 - 1961 (Captains I A McLaren & John Lyle). I was the 1st R/O on her during that time. One voyage included the trip with his wife. We parted ways at the end of 1961, he was looking for a pilotage job, I came ashore and spent the next 30 years in the computer industry.

Best wishes Noel - Jim Watson

Derek Roger
25th August 2006, 01:35
Tony ;
I see Nobby is quite active now ! You must have had a good lunch!
I think we may soon have Geoff Guest on line as well . Keep the " Jungle Drums beating "

Peter Eccleson
25th August 2006, 11:39
Hi - any of you chaps remember Capt Harry Defty? I believe he was a Marine Super in Liverpool for a while after he finished his sea service.

noel grayson
26th August 2006, 00:34
Hi - any of you chaps remember Capt Harry Defty? I believe he was a Marine Super in Liverpool for a while after he finished his sea service.
Harry Defty was marine super in Liverpool until her retired. He came ashore because during his leave after one voyage, he was chopping sticks for the fire, and a chipping shot up and permanently damaged his right eye, which prevented further sea service. He was of course the son of "Pa" Defty, a well known chief Engineer, who has long since gone to the great shipyard in the skye.

noel grayson
26th August 2006, 00:37
Tony ;
I see Nobby is quite active now ! You must have had a good lunch!
I think we may soon have Geoff Guest on line as well . Keep the " Jungle Drums beating "

Yes Derek, I find this site so fascinating, that I fear other persuits are being neglected!!

Peter Eccleson
26th August 2006, 01:12
Noel

I know Harry's wife Anne sadly passed away but do you know if Harry is still around? He and his wife sailed as Supernumery's on ACT2 with me.

Derek Roger
26th August 2006, 03:09
Peter ;
If you know the ACT vessels you will know Davie Meek ( Dundee )
I sailed with Dave when I was apperntice on Mahout and he 2nd Eng and then later when he was Chief and I 2nd Eng ( Mahsud )
Great Guy last time I saw him was in Saint John New Brunswick when he was Chief on one of the ACT Vessels.
Must give him a call next time in Dundee . Derek

Peter Eccleson
26th August 2006, 12:25
Derek
The name rings a bell but are you sure it was ACT and npt ACL given you mention NB. We were Europe to Aussie. I did a short coastal on Mahsud in the 70,s

Derek Roger
26th August 2006, 16:45
You are correct Peter it was ACL not ACT.

noel grayson
27th August 2006, 19:37
Noel

I know Harry's wife Anne sadly passed away but do you know if Harry is still around? He and his wife sailed as Supernumery's on ACT2 with me.

Peter,

Unfortunately, Harry passed away a few years ago, possibly before Anne

noel grayson
27th August 2006, 19:50
I remember Noel Grayson very well. We sailed together for must have been nigh on two years on the Macharda 1959 - 1961 (Captains I A McLaren & John Lyle). I was the 1st R/O on her during that time. One voyage included the trip with his wife. We parted ways at the end of 1961, he was looking for a pilotage job, I came ashore and spent the next 30 years in the computer industry.

Best wishes Noel - Jim Watson

Great to hear from you again Jim, 45 years since we sailed together on the good ship Macharda!!! Where has the time gone?
I didn't get the pilots job, because Brocks offered me the job of Asst Super in
London, and I and my family moved to London in April 1964.
I stayed with Brocks, apart from three years stevedoring, until I was made rredundant in in 1979. From there I went straight into the U.K> P & I Club ( Marine Insurance) until I retired in 1992
I tried to find yuor address while I was organising the Reunion in 1993, bu to no avail.
If ever you are thinking of coming down to London, do please contact me, as it would be great to meet up
Betty sends her very best wishes

Nobby

A.G.Greenwood
27th August 2006, 23:27
I also was on the Macharda during this priod. Deck Apprentice, Tony Greenwood. Other apprentice was Ken Dornan from Withernsea.
Tony Greenwood

Peter Eccleson
27th August 2006, 23:59
Noel

Thanks...last I heard from Harry was a Xmas card telling me of the sad passing of Anne.
Obliged.
Pete

Jim Watson
21st September 2006, 20:10
Hi Noel
Sorry for the delay in replying (computer problems & holidays). It is certainly great to meet up again after so long. We (Anne & myself) moved down to Devon into the Torbay area ten years ago from the Peak District (one extreme to the other !). If you happen to be in the area we would be pleased to see you. Do you have an e-mail address ?. Mine is jim.watson@piby4.org.

Best wishes to you both - Jim.

Derek Roger
21st September 2006, 23:08
Jim best sent private emails by pm ( Personnel message ) to avoid perhaps getting unwanted stuff on your comput . Admin will remove your email address from this thread if you ask one of them . Just trying to be helpfull
Regards Derek

Bob_F
9th October 2006, 00:04
Hi Nobby.
Attached are some photos taken during my time on the Marwarri, the time of all the fridge problems. I seen mention of Geof so I have attached a couple of his anniversary in I think Calcutta. Incase you don't recognise the seated couple that is you and Betty.

Derek Roger
9th October 2006, 16:34
Hi Nobby.
Attached are some photos taken during my time on the Marwarri, the time of all the fridge problems. I seen mention of Geof so I have attached a couple of his anniversary in I think Calcutta. Incase you don't recognise the seated couple that is you and Betty.

Good one of Geoff ; Alan Atack keeps in touch with him ; Ill show him this when he visits me in Inverness next week

noel grayson
10th October 2006, 00:39
Hi Nobby.

Hi Bob,
I find this site more and more amazing.
The Photos really do take me back. I doon't suppose you knwo that it was me that introduced Audrey to Geoff Guest when he was junior 4th on the Maidan at the time of the coronation!!. I of course had known Audrey since we were five years old.

All good wishes

Nobby

Roger Bentley
10th October 2006, 18:13
Tony, Have been going back through all my old photos. Here are two with the great 'Nobby' We were on the Maidan at the time in 1954. I was 2nd R/O and it was my first deep sea ship in Brocklebanks after leaving the Bibby Line.
The first one shows Pete 'Ginger' Blackburn 4th Mate and Noel who was 3rd Mate. Get the pipe! The other shows me on the left, Noel, and John Hornsby who was I think the senior apprentice at the time. The lady just strayed into the picture. We were at Mt Lavinia outside Colombo. Regards, Roger Bentley

Tony Crompton
13th December 2006, 11:37
Nobby and myself taken last month on Snowbow's Maritime Memories cruise.
-------------------------------
Tony C

Tony Sprigings
13th December 2006, 17:14
I thought you had been to the Red Sea, yet you are in suits and ties. Was the A/C that good? Cheers, Tony.

Tony Selman
14th December 2006, 11:39
A lot better than on some of the ships that turned us into "Red Sea Tigers" I'll bet.

Tony Crompton
14th December 2006, 13:57
The weather was perfect, Gulf of Suez late November. Sunny and warm during the day. warm balmy evenings. a/c just right temp for us to change into our suits before dinner. Would anyone expect ex Brocklebank men to be any other than the smartest people in the bar before dinner?
-----------------------
Tony c

James_C
14th December 2006, 14:34
I take it you were also the first people into the bar before dinner...

LOL

Don A.Macleod
14th December 2006, 20:50
I thought you had been to the Red Sea, yet you are in suits and ties. Was the A/C that good? Cheers, Tony.

Tony
They probably didn't know what AC was! Enjoyed the book ,read it in two sessions. Great memories.