Australia Calling Re:Essex Manor

Clive Anthony Fisher
15th August 2006, 08:06
Looking for info ete on British General Cargo Vessel.Essex Manor.Build 1930 could have been a early war loss 1939-40.not to sure about that any help most appreciated.
Clive

ray1buck1
15th August 2006, 09:15
“Essex Manor” official No 161371 built 1930, there is no crew list at the TNA
There is however lists at the following web site in Canada

http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=161371

Line 389 http://rapidttp.co.za/museum/jmmc/jmmce.html make reference to the vessel being sunk in 1944

Clive Anthony Fisher
17th August 2006, 04:28
Ray1.
Thanks for assistance with this vessel.Have got all general detail on her.images are available in both South Africa and U K but are very expensive might just have to bite the bullet with this one
My father served on this ship in 1936 as a deck boy, GSNS shows a name change in 1938 to Yamabuki Maru,South Africa says Essex Manor sunk from air attack 1944 a little confusing at that.

Regards Clive.

Hugh MacLean
17th August 2006, 20:47
Hello Clive,

Been looking into this with the info so far supplied and I don't know if this helps or hinders your quest.

The John Marsh Maritime Museum states
"YAMBUKI MARU see as ESSEX MANOR" and likewise

"ESSEX MANOR freighter 4994/1930 in abt early 1930s (1944 sunk from air)"

This from Disasters at sea: Hocking

YAMABUKI MARU
Yamasita Kisen K.K; 1930; W. Doxford & Sons; 5,081 tons;
404-5x55-2x27-7; 441 n.h.p.; triple-expansion engines.
The steamship Yamabuki Maru was sunk by U.S. carrier-based aircraft on
September 21st, 1944 about 100 miles S. of Olongapo, Philippines.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Now to confuse matters even more, My copy of Talbot Booth 1942 shows Essex Manor as belonging to Meldrum & Swinson London (Essex Line Ltd.)
The same book has no mention of Yamabuki Maru as belonging to Yamasita Kissen K.K. in 1942. However, I note that Hocking/Talbot Booth/John Marsh Center all agree the date of build 1930 and the tonnage approx 5000.

So could the Essex Manor have been sold to YAMASITA KISEN pre-war and renamed Yamabuki Maru, and then sunk by the US in 1944? If true would be a mistake with Talbot Booth's book.

Well that's probably as clear as mud, my head hurts now so I will pass that, for what its worth, back to you.

Rgds

gdynia
17th August 2006, 21:10
Clive

You can purchase a photo of her from following

http://rapidttp.co.za/museum/jmmc/jmmce.html

Clive Anthony Fisher
19th August 2006, 10:24
Gentlemen,

This is rather a strange happening with this vessel changing its name in 1938, I believe. There are photos available, either from the British Maritime Museum or from Marsh Photographics in South Africa. The South African being very expensive and translate into A$90 whereas the British one is only say A$40. Unfortunately both would be copyright and would be unable to be posted, so we'll just have to leave it at that for the moment. Thanks once again for all your help.

Regards, Clive

hawkey01
16th September 2006, 15:06
Clive,
I have found a picture of the Essex Manor for you. Attached.
A very good site for old photos is www.photoship.co.uk. There are an amazing number of photos on this site. Very good for research etc.
Regards
Hawkey01(==D)

Dave Edge
17th September 2006, 03:13
Clive,
In August 1937 the "Essex Manor" stranded at Erinosata and after refloating was sold in 1938 to Yamasita Kisen KK and renamed "Yamabuki Maru".

Clive Anthony Fisher
18th September 2006, 10:52
Thanks Hawkeye, I've just spent $100 getting images from the National Maritime Museum and from John Marsh in South Africa and these 2 images arrive very close together, within a matter of 10 days. Another version of one of these images was passed on to me from a private source in the United Kingdom and this one I have posted onto the Cargo Ships site. Next time I shouldn't be so impatient, although I have been looking for 6 months for an image of the Essex Manor.

Thanks again Dave, it looks like this one's sorted, regards Clive