Gambada

Ian329
17th August 2006, 08:03
Hi Folks, did anyone sail on the Gambada. I met her in Genoa, Italy where she was being refitted to carry VCM. We did a test run with Beutodiene down to Dow Chemicals in Plaqamene up the Missisippi. We took on the VCM there after discharging the Beutodiene. Cancerous cargo with lots of safety on board. Good ship but a bit of a jobsworth second. We all worked 7 days a week for 3 months without a day off, even in port. She was UMS so the work was mainly on day shift with no watchkeeping. I tell a lie he let us have a day off in Singapore. The 3rd. said he wanted to relax in his cabin. The second said if you are not going ashore you have to work!! Happy days. Ian

Tony Selman
17th August 2006, 22:00
Hi Ian, I was R/O on Gambada from July 1973 to February 1974. She was still a gas carrier then and was a hairy but very happy ship. We had seven wives on board including my own. We did a couple of trips from the Gulf to Japan and a couple from the Gulf to B.A. Paid off in Ras Tanura in February 74 and the ship went to Brazil where tragically the C/0 and 2/E were killed when checking tanks in Salvador (I think). It still upsets me to think about it even now, the young C/O was one of the nicest people you will ever meet and his lovely wife gave birth just after his death if I remember correctly. He came from Skipton or thereabouts.

Ron Lloyd
18th August 2006, 00:03
Hi
the Gambada along with all the other P&O gas tankers were sold to Havtor Ship Management and another Norwegen company about 1986/7 not sure exactly, the Gambada and Gazana were renamed Havjarl and Hesiod not sure which was named which, i sailed on them both. the Gambada and the Gazana were both scrapped 5 or 6 years ago

john shaw
18th August 2006, 01:29
there is a pic of gambada on the tankers section from japottinger.This may also interest you:

Nigel Wing
4th November 2006, 22:43
Had 3 trips on Gambada.
Joined 21/5/83 Yeosu. Paid off 20/9/83 Tarragona.
Joined 1/1/84 Fawley. Paid off 1/5/84 Yeosu.
Joined 26/7/84 North Shields. Paid off 9/12/84 Ferndale.
I remember her as a happy ship, and sailed with a good bunch on all occasions. Plenty of stories to relate in the future as time allows.

Nigel,

Doxfordman
8th November 2006, 06:54
I sailed in Gambada late 70's early 80's. Did about 6 months. We were in PO and VCM. Good crowd of blokes but the old B & W main engine was getting very tierd. We struggled south about from Geelong, Australia to Capetown. Met very heavy weather and by the time we arrived in Capetown the main engine was on it's last legs. I left her there and never saw her again. I went to Gambhira, another tail of wo.

Buoy
2nd December 2006, 17:52
Hi Ian,
I installed the first Standard A Sat Com in Gambada in the mid/late 1980's. I was with Peninsular Electronics Ltd (PEL) at the time. Did the installation with the help of Mike Bull who was R/O at the time and he subsequently came ashore to work for PEL/Broadgate. Did the voyage from Cadiz to Tarragona whilst doing the installation.
Rgds
Derek Rice

hasse neren
2nd December 2006, 19:34
Here is a link about Gambana.http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/trident.html

hasse neren
4th December 2006, 17:28
there is a pic of gambada on the tankers section from japottinger.This may also interest you:
John, where can i find more inf. about this model of Gambada.

john shaw
4th December 2006, 18:14
Hasse

I have no knowledge of whether it is a commercially available model, but as the pic is copyright of the nmsi (Science Museum) it may be that it was only taken from a builders'/ owners' model?

http://www.ingenious.org.uk/See/Transport/Watertransport/?target=SeeLarge&ObjectID={BBA7DEAE-AEA7-9E6C-3AE2-3AEF51CD24AC}&viewby=images

Regards

hasse neren
4th December 2006, 18:16
Hasse

I have no knowledge of whether it is a commercially available model, but as the pic is copyright of the nmsi (Science Museum) it may be that it was only taken from a builders'/ owners' model?

http://www.ingenious.org.uk/See/Transport/Watertransport/?target=SeeLarge&ObjectID={BBA7DEAE-AEA7-9E6C-3AE2-3AEF51CD24AC}&viewby=images

RegardsThank´s John.

douglasjamesmichael
20th January 2007, 00:15
A Board of trade acquaintence of mine Raymond Gibb at one time was R/o onboard - Rgds Doug....Engineer Ex Denholm Ship Mngt

Ian Dickinson
25th March 2007, 19:54
Hi everyone

I joined GAMBADA Oct 77 in Port of Spain as 4th E/O Left in Rasty Nasty Jan 78. Previously had a nice life on Arteraig, Fernie x 3, Busiris, Eridge, Maloja, Ardmay. After Gambada sailed on Gazana and Gandara.

Chouan
5th July 2007, 10:07
Sailed on her as the Havjarl in '87? Heap of sh**e with a mostly unpleasant racist crowd of ex-P&O people who seemed to think that they still were P&O rather than, effectively, cheap FOC crew. We had a Philipino crew, including 4/E and 3/0. They were forbidden to use the crew's bar; reasonably, but were then shunned by the majority in the officer's bar. "This is a white mans' bar" as one of them put it. Apart from the appalling condition of the ship, I found it by far the most unpleasant ship I ever sailed on in terms of fellow officers. The only ship that came close was the Havdrott, another ex-P&O gas tanker, but at least there it was just a couple of unpleasant people.
Surely P&O people were not all as bad as those I met on these ships?

Nigel Wing
5th July 2007, 21:14
Chouan, I am afraid you have the wrong vessel, Havjarl was ex Gazana, Hesiod was ex Gambada. I had three trips on Gambada over almost a two year period 1983 - 84. then she was a well found ship, with no major problems.

I cannot speak for Havjarl ex Gazana, as I did not sail on her, but I have heard tales of woe and discontent from those who did have the pleasure.

As for Havdrott, she was my last P&O ship, when she was Galpara, one of the so called Big G's, this was when P&O flagged out the gas tanker fleet, I then carried on my seagoing career in dry bulkers, but that is another story.

best wishes
Nigel

Chouan
5th July 2007, 23:43
Sorry. My mistake. I'd trawled for Havdrot and Havjarl through the gallery and Havjarl came up with Gambada.

In case I've annoyed people, I'm not implying anything about P&O people per se, just the unpleasant ex P&O people I met with Havtor.
The Mate, for example, whose name I have diplomatically forgotten. Always smiling and friendly to your face, but here are two examples of the reality:
We're sailing from Sembawang. I'm told it will be at about 1500, so I'm to test th bridge gear etc for 1400. The Mate tells me to check something in the focsle immediately after lunch, so I put on my boilersuit and go forward. I'm then summoned by an irate Old Man; "why isn't the bridge gear tested? What are you doing swanning about forward when the pilot is onboard?" etc etc. Of course, explanations are pointless.
We're on our way from the Gulf to the Med. full laden. we're following a course that I'd done before on a 215,000t VLCC, I'm summoned to the Bridge by the Old Man, whilst the Mate is having dinner. He points out the soundings on the chart and demands to know what I'm playing at with my courses, our friend the Mate has pointed out that the soundings approximate to our draught, and the Old Man is worried! I point ut that our draught is in metres and that the chart is in fathoms. The Old Man walks out onto the bridge wing without a word.
I didn't like them very much, and resigned very shortly afterwards.

We did a drydock in Sembawang. The Norwegian superintendant thought that it would be a good idea to change the valve control system from compressed air to hydraulic. So they instructed the dockyard to cut off the hoses where they came up through the deck to the valves etc, and then remove the connectors to the valve controls. Fine. Now, however, they didn't know which air line went to which valve, and it cost thousands in lost time to trace each airline in order to set up the new controls. It didn't change the contempt with which they treated us though. Interesting times!

Clive Kaine
8th April 2008, 17:27
Gambada was my last ship before I left the MN, March-July 1981. Gerry McMurtry was the old man. Nice ship at the time.

Clive Kaine
22nd April 2008, 12:22
Hi Ian, I was R/O on Gambada from July 1973 to February 1974. She was still a gas carrier then and was a hairy but very happy ship. We had seven wives on board including my own. We did a couple of trips from the Gulf to Japan and a couple from the Gulf to B.A. Paid off in Ras Tanura in February 74 and the ship went to Brazil where tragically the C/0 and 2/E were killed when checking tanks in Salvador (I think). It still upsets me to think about it even now, the young C/O was one of the nicest people you will ever meet and his lovely wife gave birth just after his death if I remember correctly. He came from Skipton or thereabouts.

Tony, the incident you refer to occurred not on Gambada, but on Garmula in Santos, Brazil in September 1974. I know, because I had the misfortune to be the R/O on the ship at the time. It was only my second trip at sea. The people involved were Capt. Don Watson, C/O Joe Shillitoe and C/O Munro Chambers, who all died of suffocation when inspecting an insufficiently ventilated void space. There was another captain on board, an ex-general cargo guy who was learning about gas ships, whose name escapes me. Joe somebody. He was also involved, but was lucky enough to be standing nearest the exit from the void space when the others collapsed, and managed to get out and raise the alarm. We had five wives on board at the time, including Capt. Watson and Munro Chambers' wives, Morna Chambers had only joined the ship the night before. Joe's wife was, as you say, expecting their first child at the time. He was just 24 - a really lovely guy, but too young to be a C/O perhaps?

It was a truly awful day and a terrible tragedy, and affected all of us deeply, as I'm sure you can imagine. There were a lot of tears in the bar that night. We had a moving memorial service in a British church in Santos before the two wives flew home, then we sailed onwards to BA a much-chastened group, before a 2-week drydock in Cape Town where we really let our hair down.

Tony Selman
22nd May 2008, 22:28
Clive, thanks for this post which I must have missed first time round. Time plays tricks with your memory and there was an element of 2+2. My wife read the story in the paper not that long after we left Gambada and we made the assumption that Joe would still have been on Gambada because he had only recently joined when we left in February. My memory also tells me he was a bit older than 24 but in his late 20's - not that it matters now of course. A terrible tragedy that still upsets me if for no other reason that Joe and his wife were such a lovely couple. I did not know that Capt Watson and C/O Chambers also lost their lives, I was under the impression it was the 2/E.

It must have been awful to have been there at the time. I always say to people that they were hairy ships and we had a couple of close scrapes on Gambada but nothing as tragic as this. There but for the Grace of God.

Brian Leaf
22nd May 2008, 23:21
Did 3 trips in Gambada. Mid 70,s great ship. C/E Tommy Wilson, Bill Furnace.
I was 3/e. She was still on LPG runs then mostly Maracaibo east coast states.
The stork Diesel Gennies were a nightmare. As for the main engine. Dox we had a few main tie rods go on us. I used to call it the wobbly engine. She was always a happy ship. If you got to do motor time I could not complain had a ball. After that it was Garmula. Another good ship. after that I swallowed the anchor and ended up with GE turbines for a few years. Now with Siemens.

Doxfordman
23rd May 2008, 00:42
Brian,
Bill furnace was the Chief when I was on Gambada - really nice bloke for a steam man, with a motor endorsment. We used to have some interesting discussions re the main engine - he was always right of course!!! I flew home with hime from Cape Town when I left her. As previous the main engine was very wobbly and for the Stork DA's - that's another story.

I sailed with Tommy Willson as well - Mr golden blanket!

Clive Kaine
17th June 2008, 16:55
I was on the Gambada twice. The first time was in '77, when she was on the Mexican pacific coast run, an absolutely amazing trip. We were chartered to the Mexican oil company Pemex, running ammonia from Salina Cruz in the south to Guaymas in the north. We'd discharge at Guaymas, then wait there until they had another cargo ready for us down south - sometimes several weeks. Guaymas was a really nice town, and we got to know all the best places to go. If Pemex didn't need the berth, they'd let us stay alongside rather than anchoring off. We had a little jolly boat with an outboard motor, which we'd use for exploring along the coast, happy days.

My second trip was in 1980, when we were on the Gulf-India run. Ummsaid-Bahrain for bunkers-Cochin-Bombay. Another enjoyable run, plus a great crowd, and one of the best Christmases I've ever had anywhere. Unfortunately, Nick Ingle was the Old Man, but you can't have everything...

Clive

Clive Kaine
26th June 2008, 11:48
Scrub the above post - I was referring to Gambhira, not Gambada. DuuH! Senior moment!

IanSpiden
23rd July 2008, 22:36
Tony, the incident you refer to occurred not on Gambada, but on Garmula in Santos, Brazil in September 1974. I know, because I had the misfortune to be the R/O on the ship at the time. It was only my second trip at sea. The people involved were Capt. Don Watson, C/O Joe Shillitoe and C/O Munro Chambers, who all died of suffocation when inspecting an insufficiently ventilated void space. There was another captain on board, an ex-general cargo guy who was learning about gas ships, whose name escapes me. Joe somebody. He was also involved, but was lucky enough to be standing nearest the exit from the void space when the others collapsed, and managed to get out and raise the alarm. We had five wives on board at the time, including Capt. Watson and Munro Chambers' wives, Morna Chambers had only joined the ship the night before. Joe's wife was, as you say, expecting their first child at the time. He was just 24 - a really lovely guy, but too young to be a C/O perhaps?

It was a truly awful day and a terrible tragedy, and affected all of us deeply, as I'm sure you can imagine. There were a lot of tears in the bar that night. We had a moving memorial service in a British church in Santos before the two wives flew home, then we sailed onwards to BA a much-chastened group, before a 2-week drydock in Cape Town where we really let our hair down.

Clive

I think you are talking about J O Spence who was always called Joe , he was captain on the Gazana when I was there and also on one of the Big G's after that , I cant remember which one I sailed on with him, we spent a lot of time playing darts and I think we took on a Bibby line ship that we were lightening into across the berth from us we left the other ship rather tipsy and he took a wrong turn at the bottom of the gangway and nearly went down between the ship and the dock , I managed to grab him and all was well I was also on the Gambada but the dates escape me for the moment

Ian

Clive Kaine
25th July 2008, 17:28
Yes JO Spence, I remember now. He took over as captain on the Garmula after Don Watson died, so I sailed with him to BA and then Cape Town. Interesting what you say about him nearly falling in the drink. He must have had nine lives!

Brian Leaf
7th June 2010, 21:39
Dox if you catch this post. Bill Funace i found to be a very nice guy but as you say he was always always right. We were both steam men, I was doing motor time for my endorsement. Tommy Wilson was again a nice guy. When he had a few gins he used to bore us all with his Rabbi Burns quotations. Being ex BI myself like Tommy I understood him as it was a thing of to much eastern BI service. All three of us were old steam queens. I got my endorsement and an old friend told me back to the steam ships mate you aint got a clue about a doxford so your just a pretender. Maybe you agree Dox !!!

Brian Leaf
7th June 2010, 21:42
Oh sorry dox. Tommy Wilson could sleep for Scotland. Sailed with him om Busiris and Gambada twice. I can only recall him coming on the plates once. But I cant prove it we never had a camera to hand

Doxfordman
18th January 2011, 22:40
Brian,
Just spotted your last post which is remis of me! I had a lot of time for Bill, he was a Gentleman, we agreed to disagree on many occasions but it always eneded in good spirits. As for Tommy, we didn't see much of him in the ER, if at all, but when we did he was a good natured man but I couldn't vouch for his engineering knowledge, maybe because we never conversed on the subject. Happy days in any event!
As to steam queens, I went the other way, motor and a steam endorsement. got the endorsement and never saw another steam ship again.

johntee
24th August 2012, 00:51
Yes JO Spence, I remember now. He took over as captain on the Garmula after Don Watson died, so I sailed with him to BA and then Cape Town. Interesting what you say about him nearly falling in the drink. He must have had nine lives!

Hi there Clive. I guess J.O.Spence eventually used up his 9 lives as he sadly passed away a few years ago.
Johntee

Nigel Wing
5th October 2012, 16:34
Hi Ray. Mass Spectrometer. While serving on Gambada, P&O carried out trials for this kit. I think we must have been in a UK port at the time as all this gear arrived on board un-expectantly, plus a Super from the Deck department and the Electrical Super. It had to be jury rigged for the test and took up most of the space in the Cargo Control Room. It had back up batteries in case of power failure, and was also found to be very sensitive to power fluctuations, so was not a success aboard, and was soon shipped off never to be seen again.
Our Electrical Super said I told them it would not work.
So the old MSA Gas Analyser remained.
Cheers
Nigel

Ian329
1st February 2013, 08:13
Ian McAdam and then replaced with John Clark were the Chief Engineers when I was on the Gambada

Owenjohnd
5th October 2014, 14:36
Just joined - This is bringing back some memories.
John Owen Spence (rip) - Known as Jo Spence to most and as well as darts - he played a lot of cards. Smoked a pipe.
J