Bankline Rosie

K urgess
17th August 2006, 13:58
Anyone with any memories of Sydney and Rosie.
I nearly got caught how many of you did?
Judging by the number of hits on my Weirbank and Sprucebank photos there are quite a few old Bankie codgers out there.
Memories please gentlemen.
Let's all share the good times (*)) (*))

Keithouteast
17th August 2006, 16:23
Knew a "Bankline Phil" from Melbourne on the Corabank in 76. Heavy lift job. Fell for our marconi sahib, a nice irish lad from newtonards called davy. Buggered up his bunk apparently. Went back on the teviotbank in 78 on a NYK charter, no sign of her. Only did the 'upmarket" copra boats. Heart of gold by all accounts.

Bryan Neary
17th August 2006, 20:51
I remember both Rosie (and Harry) & Phil well. Phil, along with her three similarly proportioned pals usually arrived alongside in their cruelly overloaded VW Beetle, hot on the agent's heels and always anxious to get in a full shift before the first hatch was opened. Then, some time in the late seventies they simple disappeared without trace. I did hear on the grapevine that Big Phil had died from a massive heart attack but no one ever seemed to know anything for sure.

Hamish Mackintosh
18th August 2006, 03:58
Sailed with an "Aussie "on the "Ivy Bank" a fireman, who titled himself" Lower the boom Clancy Moore" who could start a fight in an empty house,(got me jailed in the islands) his side kick was an AB who said his dad was harbour master in Sydney circa 1950,they were both let go in Cardiff when we payed off, with the usual demerits as I recall Don't see much reference to the "Ivy Bank" on this site but I spent two happy years aboard her ,with such shipmates as " the Sherriff of Shire Moor" (Ronnie Lonberg" )and the "seventh Earl of Seaton Sluice" Gerry O'Niel and a lot more" Geordies" The day I joined her I thought I had joined the wrong ship, as I could not understand a word they said, but after a couple of weeks I was quite conversational in "Pitmatic" (Applause)

K urgess
18th August 2006, 22:11
Way before my time Hamish.
By time I got to Bankline all the crews were Indian or Pakistani. Anybody know when they changed?

Bit before the time I'm thinking of as well.
Late 60s early 70s a lot of young lasses were taking the 10 tour of Aussie.
10 to get there and free passage home if they stayed longer than 2 years. Some of 'em were 2nd and 3rd time round!
Rosie had a sort of halfway house in Sydney where the girls could stay while they found their feet or husbands, whichever came first.
Only condition was they should be willing to go to parties on Bankboats. Pretty strict and if you were a new face you had to go to Rosie's place for inspection before the girls were allowed on board.
Some monumental parties. 2 weeks in Sydney and a party every night and twice on Saturdays. If you wanted to stay longer you walked up to a wharfie and asked to see the burn marks from the ball and chain on his leg. Got 'em out on strike in a trice!
I tried to get 'em to a party on a Blue Star boat but they wouldn't consider it. Came out for a drink on the town but wouldn't go anywhere near the ship.
So that's the Rosie I mean.
I believe I once met someone like big Phil in Melbourne, name rings a bell.
Because I was the joker who had all the spare time in port I was the one chained to the phone when it came on board until I'd got at least one party organised. And me such a shy and retiring bloke as well.
Oh Happy days! Oh them Aussie nurses! Not forgetting the UK and South African ones as well, of course. God bless 'em all. (Hippy)

Hugh Wilson
9th October 2006, 05:48
I met Rosie whilst in Sydney for 3 weeks on the Beaverbank (1951 H+W 5360grt) in 1969. She introduced me to one of the most beautiful (and energetic!!) girls I ever met, Wendy Payne, a nurse from Orange NSW. Tried to contact her several times on subsequent visits to Sydney, but unfortunately never saw her again. I even tried recently on Friend's Re-United. I must be a very sad person!!

K urgess
9th October 2006, 13:50
Hugh

This is in my gallery
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/36180/cat/500/ppuser/8196

It was taken in March 1970. I have a load more that I haven't posted. If you want a nostalgia trip I'll email you some. Send me a PM.

Rosie Dixon had quite a turnover of girls 'cos she was just a sort of halfway house for waifs and strays in the big city.

Geoffrey
11th October 2006, 17:19
Marconi Sahib,
I was browsing thru your photos nd came across photos of Rabaul unfortunately in the news again because of more volcanic activity I was there in 1956/57 on the S.S.Corabank we made fast to a dock which was a sunken Japanese ship and in coming alongside we hit her such a godawful crack took a small chunk out of the prop. This ship had been sunk during the war and after hostilities were over they had built causeways out to her and then filled her with rubble thus making a dock from which we loaded our cargo of copra While we were thus occupied a team of Japanese salvage divers appeared alongside us and proceeded diving probably to conduct a survey however they came up a damn sight faster than they went down
It seems she was full of torpedo warheads and various other ordnance
all of which was highly unstable so the story went As I recall you could stand on the f'csle and look down No1 Hatch into the tweendecks allthe rest were full of rubble I don't suppose she stayed in use for long as the Japanese were salvaging all the metal they could at that time
Cheers Geoff

K urgess
11th October 2006, 17:47
Geoff

The Komaki Maru was the first Japanese ship sunk after they invaded.

See
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/ships/maru/komaki.html
for more details.

They decided to leave the cargo 'cos she was still there and in use last time I went despite being in danger of exploding any time.

Attached is the view from Google earth at present.

Geoffrey
13th October 2006, 09:27
Marconi Sahib,
Thats incredible, so the story was true after all. To be still in use after allthis time beggars belief. I checked it on Google yesterday . The Pacific Wrecks web site was very interesting mind you the people defecating on board must have been hardy souls as I recall the rats were as big as butcher's dogs and twice as fit

cheers Geoff

John Mepham
24th November 2006, 19:15
Marconi Sahib,
I was browsing thru your photos nd came across photos of Rabaul unfortunately in the news again because of more volcanic activity I was there in 1956/57 on the S.S.Corabank we made fast to a dock which was a sunken Japanese ship and in coming alongside we hit her such a godawful crack took a small chunk out of the prop. This ship had been sunk during the war and after hostilities were over they had built causeways out to her and then filled her with rubble thus making a dock from which we loaded our cargo of copra While we were thus occupied a team of Japanese salvage divers appeared alongside us and proceeded diving probably to conduct a survey however they came up a damn sight faster than they went down
It seems she was full of torpedo warheads and various other ordnance
all of which was highly unstable so the story went As I recall you could stand on the f'csle and look down No1 Hatch into the tweendecks allthe rest were full of rubble I don't suppose she stayed in use for long as the Japanese were salvaging all the metal they could at that time
Cheers Geoff
Talking about ammo, when I was on the Hollybank in 1966 ( Jnr engr.) we
were in Kaviang taking on the usual copra, the 3rd engr. ( Bill Baxter ) and myself were underwater swimming, when we discovered the sea bed under the ship was covered in shells and I believe some torpedos, when we told the 'old man' it was all panic moving the ship.
It seems the yanks at the end of the war had just bulldosed the lot off the
jetty, I suppose its one way to get rid of it !!!,
The leccy was Farquer McKenzie ( is that spelt correctly ? ) does anyone
remember him, he used to spend all his time 'looking up' the clan where ever
we went.
The crew were all Indians, they seemed a jolly lot !!!.
I enjoyed that trip, Sydney was all parties ( Ausie nurses ), pity I never went back, I joined Lamport & Holt Line, stayed until I was a 3rd.

12-4
26th December 2006, 15:10
I sailed with Farquer McKenzie (not sure of the spelling either) on the Willowbank in '68. Nice guy. We did the usual round the world Bankline voyage taking in the pacific islands, Japan and Oz. The old man was "OJ Aussie Brown" on his last trip. Unforgettable

tom hanley
11th January 2007, 01:49
Marconi Sahib,
I remember Rosie's very well. Went to her place several times when I was on the Nairnbank and Willowbank. Many, many great parties on board. Don't know how, but I got a reputation as the "heavy lift job", and one time I remember was trying to explain to "the most beautiful girl in the world"(who it must be said was carrying a little too much weght) why there was a chain block hanging outside my cabin. Thanks for helping to resurrect such good memories. So many good times.............
Regards,
Tom.

K urgess
11th January 2007, 11:20
Nice one, Tom.(Thumb)

There was always one that was, shall we say, "comfortable".(LOL)

Cheers
Kris/

John Mepham
17th June 2007, 14:04
Did you ever come across 3rd Eng. Bill Baxter or electician George Rodgers,
Bill was a scotsman and George was Irish ( Belfast ).
Two really nice blokes, we had a good time on the Hollybank.
John Mepham

Waighty
8th August 2007, 14:05
Marabank 1971, Weirbank 1972, Willowbank 1973, Gownbank 1974, Corabank 1975. I remember Rosie and her charges very well. One Jenny Bancan brings back memories! 2nd Mate on Weirbank married one of them IDC. Big Phil in Melbourne - one of her friends was Diane Kloppman who like the others needed 10 ton gear - but fun it certainly was - her husband (ex Ellerman 2nd Mate) didn't seem to mind either. Also Melbourne but not connected with Big Phil was Diamond Lil and another vast friend - they were both into their 50s but would try anything once. The Lekky on Gowanbank was treated to a good time in Brisbane - phone call to ship asking for the electrician - who said he didn't know anybody in Brisbane but shortly afterwards headed for the beach - we didn't see him again for three days. As others have said, happy memories.:sweat:

johnb42
17th July 2009, 02:15
Marabank 1971, Weirbank 1972, Willowbank 1973, Gownbank 1974, Corabank 1975. I remember Rosie and her charges very well. One Jenny Bancan brings back memories! 2nd Mate on Weirbank married one of them IDC. Big Phil in Melbourne - one of her friends was Diane Kloppman who like the others needed 10 ton gear - but fun it certainly was - her husband (ex Ellerman 2nd Mate) didn't seem to mind either. Also Melbourne but not connected with Big Phil was Diamond Lil and another vast friend - they were both into their 50s but would try anything once. The Lekky on Gowanbank was treated to a good time in Brisbane - phone call to ship asking for the electrician - who said he didn't know anybody in Brisbane but shortly afterwards headed for the beach - we didn't see him again for three days. As others have said, happy memories.:sweat:

Waighty,
I was Mate on the Marabank from February '70 to Sept '71. Did we sail with each other?

McMorine
17th July 2009, 11:46
If you look at my photos on this site you will see some photos of Big Fil from Melbourne, best wishes Mac (Alex McMorine)

mil511mariner
3rd August 2009, 10:56
I sailed with Farquer McKenzie (not sure of the spelling either) on the Willowbank in '68. Nice guy. We did the usual round the world Bankline voyage taking in the pacific islands, Japan and Oz. The old man was "OJ Aussie Brown" on his last trip. Unforgettable

I believe Farquhar McKenzie is retired and living in Dornie on the west coast of Scotland - next to the Eilean Donan castle of Highlander and shortcake biscuit tin lid fame.

Al W
4th August 2009, 22:46
I believe Farquhar McKenzie is retired and living in Dornie on the west coast of Scotland - next to the Eilean Donan castle of Highlander and shortcake biscuit tin lid fame.

Seems like the perfect place for Farquhar. I can see him now sitting playing bridge with the castle in background.

Supern
13th August 2009, 09:41
I know Filomena (Phil) and she did not have a heart attack, she got married to a german chap and lives happily in Ferntree Gully in Melbourne. She did lose weight but last time I saw her she was still a big lass. Her friend Margaret married a chief engineer in Bank Line. Her other friend Noel married an engineer from somewhere.

So they all got married and lived happy every after

brownegaz
13th August 2009, 17:38
I sailed with the same Farquar in 1980 on the Roachbank Im sure he was from Dornie.

1972 Springbank
1973 Lossiebank
1974 Fleetbank
1979 Crestbank
1980 Roachbank

Gary Browne

Ben Masey
26th August 2009, 16:54
Hi All,
My name is Ben Masey and I have just joined SN.
I joined Bank Line as an Apprentice in 1957 and left as Master 1979,after which I became a Deep Sea Pilot for 25 years.
I see Alastair MacNab is a frequent contributor.Most of the others are not using their real names so although many of the yarns are familiar I don't recognise the names.Or is there a list somewhere?
Regards,
Ben Masey

jimthehat
26th August 2009, 18:57
Hi Ben,
dont think that there is a list of names on this site ,but most people who subscribe do list all the ships they were on,for example me ...
maplebank,,Etivebank,,Clydebank,,Eastbank,,Isiping o,,Fleetbank,, Ettrickbank,,Forresbank,, and taybank.
Time with bank line 52-66 great years.

regards
JIM FERRIER

China hand
26th August 2009, 19:14
Hi All,
I joined Bank Line as an Apprentice in 1957 and left as Master 1979,after which I became a Deep Sea Pilot for 25 years.
I see Alastair MacNab is a frequent contributor.Most of the others are not using their real names so although many of the yarns are familiar I don't recognise the names.Or is there a list somewhere?
Regards,
Ben Masey

Hi Ben, We were on n off in contact. Good to see you here.
Mike[=P]

K urgess
26th August 2009, 20:05
Welcome aboard, Ben.
Once you've found your way around and cast your mind back you could well recognise a lot of us.
I'm sure any of the Bankline lads that recognise you will soon let you know.
Cheers
Kris

Johnnietwocoats
26th August 2009, 21:07
Hi All,
Regards,
Ben Masey

Hi Ben. Would be good if you could list your ships and what years.
I am Johhnietwocoats, Twocoats, Coats, or just plain old TC.
My real name is John Pye and I was an apprentice from July 60 until July 64.

Cheers...TC(Smoke)

Alan Rawlinson
27th August 2009, 07:50
Hallo Ben and greetings,

Were you on the Forresbank with John Beale, I wonder?

AL

Waighty
27th August 2009, 13:44
Good chance that we did. 3rd Mate was a Steve Hockley (big tall guy from Manchester - now a postman in Gloucestershire). Master was DJR Davies I think and his wife. 3rd Eng was Jeff Eames. Joined in Philadelphia, light ship to Dominican Republic to loead sugar for Marseilles, then Light ship to US Gulf then Aussie, then sugar to Liverpool. you stayed on from previous trip I think. Sorry but I can't remember your name but have seen your photo in the Gallery Members section. Did you have a brother in Ben Line?

Steve Taylor
28th August 2009, 12:31
Hi All,
Regards,
Ben Masey

Hi Ben

Hope you are well. I sailed with you as first trip third mate on the Teviot in 77, joined on the coast loading for the islands, then sugar for China and Chittagong etc loading for West Coast SA. I seem to remember racing a French ship from Port Moresby to Lae but losing even though the Teviot was a flying Bank boat at 18knots, also you having a thing about Doxford's going astern after a little altercation in Panama. If my memory serves, we had a bad time with a sailor dying from a heart attack whilst at anchor in Chittagong roads, a long night for all involved. In my mind the Teviot was the best I sailed on, good crowd as well.

Good to see your name again.
Regards
Steve

boatlarnie
29th August 2009, 11:37

I sailed with Farquhar on the Irisbank (built 1964) from Feb 1967 until June 1968 (Len Thorne as Master). He was a great shipmate with a wonderful sense of humour and always ready for a party. After paying-off the wife and I decided to tour Scotland in my MGB and made the mistake of calling in at Dornie to see Farquhar. He put us up at his brothers B & B, the car never moved for 4 days 'cos I was too p----d to drive. What a beautiful part of the world he lives in, Kyle of Lochalsh if I remember correctly. Waking up in the morning, with a splitting headache, to the sound of the pipes from across the loch was really something. Then it was up to the pub for a hair of the dog and so on. Wonderful times they were, we were so young and ready for anything in those days.

brownegaz
30th August 2009, 13:32
I was in Sydney on the Lossiebank for my 21st birthday in September 1973, a great night was had by all in company with Bankline Rosies girls.

brownegaz

Crankcase
9th September 2009, 11:16
I was in Sydney on the Lossiebank for my 21st birthday in September 1973, a great night was had by all in company with Bankline Rosies girls.

brownegaz

I joined 'The Lossiebank' but not the one you joined. She was unloading at Brombough on the Mersey and was an engineer short. A friend that had sailed on her and paid off told the Superintendent that I was just about to finish my apprentiship and might be happy to sign on. The next thing Mr Anderson the Super knocked on our front door and applied to me! The Chief was a Gentelman of 75 years and I was assured 'The Company Senior Chief Engineer'. I had my 21st 3 days out from Brisbane. So Snap.

McMorine
12th February 2010, 15:07
I remember both Rosie (and Harry) & Phil well. Phil, along with her three similarly proportioned pals usually arrived alongside in their cruelly overloaded VW Beetle, hot on the agent's heels and always anxious to get in a full shift before the first hatch was opened. Then, some time in the late seventies they simple disappeared without trace. I did hear on the grapevine that Big Phil had died from a massive heart attack but no one ever seemed to know anything for sure.

Had a real blast from the past last week, an e-mail from Fil, alive and kicking, living with her husband in Melbourne.

Alistair Macnab
13th February 2010, 19:18
I took over the Mate's job on "Laganbank" from one of Bank Line's better-known lover boys so all around the Aussie Coast I was beset by telephone calls looking for the Mate, who of course, wasn't any longer there. Nevertheless, we were entertained by the usual set of damsels and because the First Lecky had been in P&O or Orient Line, we had a different and additional set of camp followers to contend with. You call this working? And getting paid for it as well?
Going to sea today must be rotten for guys like us who remember the 'good old days'!

McMorine
14th February 2010, 17:26
Camp being the "Operative" word Alistair?

Alistair Macnab
14th February 2010, 17:59
Alexander....
The boyfriends of the girls who flocked to see the Lecky in Melbourne might have been a bit light in the loafers; we never knew for sure but always suspected! Anyhow, the group friendship continues after all these years among some of the original participants which is amazing considering the miles and years between.

ozedev
17th February 2010, 12:15
Update for SUPERN..............posting of 13 Aug. 09

Re your "girls"............

Noel - currently a widow living near Ferntree Gully
Phil, still alive and well and in the same area.
Margaret, unfortunately passed away this January, leaving two
adult daughters and Gron - her husband who was ex Blue Star and
came from Anglesey.

Re..............Sydney Rosie.............sher always flew the largest and cleanest
'BankLine' house flag from her house in Abercrombie Street in Sydney.

Ozedev

from Anglesey

Waighty
20th February 2010, 11:54
Waighty,
I was Mate on the Marabank from February '70 to Sept '71. Did we sail with each other?

Yes we certainly did - you had your wife with you at the time. Master was DJR Davies also with wife. 3rd Mate was Steve Hockley who now lives near Cirencester and is a postman! I think we shared correspondence on this site about George Scott as well. If memory serves, you had a a brother in Ben Line.

I left Bank Line in 1983 as Chief Mate and took up employment with the MoD as Master on deep-sea tugs, mooring vessels and salvage vessels. Finished up as Marine Super and then left to be Hbr Master/VTS Manaager on the Firth of Forth. Finally went to UK Hydrographic Office and retired last year.

Have you joined The Bank Line Association if not give Brian Lucy an email on brian.lucy@btinternet.com. Nest biennial gathering is this October.

Cheers.

dave boy green
11th November 2013, 17:52
Geoff

The Komaki Maru was the first Japanese ship sunk after they invaded.

See
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/ships/maru/komaki.html
for more details.

They decided to leave the cargo 'cos she was still there and in use last time I went despite being in danger of exploding any time.

Attached is the view from Google earth at present.

I was there in April 1960 and took the attached photo of the Southbank which Larry Illingworth (3/O) and i developed and printed as he had all the kit with him including an enlarger (good job we paid off in the UK) I assume it was the only berth or were there others