R.m.s.durango

DURANGO
19th August 2006, 21:03
I am trying to trace anyone who may remember the old bosun of the Durango his name was Fred Walden he was married and came from Southampton the one thing that would make him stand out was that he built ships in bottles he was bosun of the Durango for many years at least ten by my reckoning , i beleive he was still bosun on her when she changed her name to Ruthenic i have a very poor photo of him at his retirement being presented with a gift by the ships master J Perkins any information would be gratefully received many thanks D.

paddy mcdonnell
10th May 2008, 01:39
Did you have any luck finding information on Fred Walden?I was on the Durango in the 50s,probably late 50s,maybe '59,but I can't remember the bosun's name,in fact I cant remember anyone from the Durango,I do remember that the were a great crew,I only did one trip,from London to Brazil,I know we went to Rio Grande Do Sol,sorry I can't give you any more information,Paddy.

DURANGO
22nd May 2008, 19:37
Did you have any luck finding information on Fred Walden?I was on the Durango in the 50s,probably late 50s,maybe '59,but I can't remember the bosun's name,in fact I cant remember anyone from the Durango,I do remember that the were a great crew,I only did one trip,from London to Brazil,I know we went to Rio Grande Do Sol,sorry I can't give you any more information,Paddy. Many thanks for your welcome reply paddy i did have some luck with regards to finding out about the old bosun he would have been in her same time as you , in fact i know he stayed on her when she was taken over by Shaw Savill and renamed Ruthenic , in fact i have a very interesting story to tell if you are interested with regards to him and his ships in bottles, while i,m on i wonder if any one who sailed in Royal Mail would remember the old man captain Perkins , better know as polly Perkins now there was one of lifes characters i found out that he had been a prisoner during the 2nd world war ,i also sailed with him on the Eden thanks again Paddy all the best mate .

paddy mcdonnell
31st May 2008, 08:10
Many thanks for your welcome reply paddy i did have some luck with regards to finding out about the old bosun he would have been in her same time as you , in fact i know he stayed on her when she was taken over by Shaw Savill and renamed Ruthenic , in fact i have a very interesting story to tell if you are interested with regards to him and his ships in bottles, while i,m on i wonder if any one who sailed in Royal Mail would remember the old man captain Perkins , better know as polly Perkins now there was one of lifes characters i found out that he had been a prisoner during the 2nd world war ,i also sailed with him on the Eden thanks again Paddy all the best mate .
Just reading your answer now,durango,I certainly interested in what you have to say about the bosun,it might spark a memory of some of the crew,the baker comes to mind,he was from Ireland,like myself,I think he was from Dublin,Paddy.

DURANGO
5th June 2008, 17:45
Just reading your answer now,durango,I certainly interested in what you have to say about the bosun,it might spark a memory of some of the crew,the baker comes to mind,he was from Ireland,like myself,I think he was from Dublin,Paddy.
Hi Paddy the old bosun Fred Walden was one of lifes real characters ,as i said he built ships in bottles and he built one for me he used to charge a bottle of johnnie walkers whiskey for one of his ships but being as i was on deck we were only allowed beer so i gave him a crate of tennants i think we used to pay 24 bob for a crate back in 1964 please correct me if i have got that wrong someone [ it aint often i,m right so i wont take offence if i,m put right ]. I had that ship up until 1985 when it was knocked from the mantlepeice and smashed i was realy sick and like a fool i threw it in the rubbish instead of trying to make some sort of repair to the glass , anyhow in 2003 i bought a computer for my daughter and found out about the m.n. sites, whilst looking through the Vindi site i came across a fella who had been in the Durango in the late 50,s , so i asked him if he remembered the old bosun and if so did he remember him building ships in bottles , within a few hours i had a reply telling me that he did indeed remember old Fred and in fact he had two of his ships out in Brisbane this was in may 2003 in june 2006he let me have one of them he sent it over with a freind of his who was coming to the u.k. on holiday , i have a photo of the old bosun paddy but i would have to send it to you by email if you are interested because i cant work out how to put it on this site all the best .

spudo
22nd December 2008, 12:51
hi mike park here i sailed on the durango mid 60s and fred was the bosun on her then and thats right if tou gave him a bottle of whisky when it was empty he would put a ship in it

roibaird7
15th February 2009, 03:30
I had the distinction of sailing on the Durango on her maiden voyage outta Belfast 1944 [from memory]

Sailtie
26th March 2009, 12:23
A bit of a tenuous link this as I never sailed on Durango but Polly Perkins was master of my first ship Thessaly in 1960. Easy going bloke as I recall.

paddy mcdonnell
14th June 2010, 05:24
To Durango,I can't believe it is two years since we discussed the Durango,I should have followed up the thread better than that,you mentioned that you had a photo of the bosun and you could email it to me to see if it would jog my memory,I would like that,I see by your profile you don't want emails through Ships Nostalgia,so here is my email address,
genemcdonnell@hotmail.com my real name is Gene,but every one called me Paddy when I went to sea

paddy mcdonnell
3rd June 2011, 06:10
To Durango,I can't believe it is two years since we discussed the Durango,I should have followed up the thread better than that,you mentioned that you had a photo of the bosun and you could email it to me to see if it would jog my memory,I would like that,I see by your profile you don't want emails through Ships Nostalgia,so here is my email address,
genemcdonnell@hotmail.com my real name is Gene,but every one called me Paddy when I went to sea

Hi Paddy the old bosun Fred Walden was one of lifes real characters ,as i said he built ships in bottles and he built one for me he used to charge a bottle of johnnie walkers whiskey for one of his ships but being as i was on deck we were only allowed beer so i gave him a crate of tennants i think we used to pay 24 bob for a crate back in 1964 please correct me if i have got that wrong someone [ it aint often i,m right so i wont take offence if i,m put right ]. I had that ship up until 1985 when it was knocked from the mantlepeice and smashed i was realy sick and like a fool i threw it in the rubbish instead of trying to make some sort of repair to the glass , anyhow in 2003 i bought a computer for my daughter and found out about the m.n. sites, whilst looking through the Vindi site i came across a fella who had been in the Durango in the late 50,s , so i asked him if he remembered the old bosun and if so did he remember him building ships in bottles , within a few hours i had a reply telling me that he did indeed remember old Fred and in fact he had two of his ships out in Brisbane this was in may 2003 in june 2006he let me have one of them he sent it over with a freind of his who was coming to the u.k. on holiday , i have a photo of the old bosun paddy but i would have to send it to you by email if you are interested because i cant work out how to put it on this site all the best . I should have checked my discharge book,I have now,I sailed in the Durango in 1961(signed on 25-may-off 23 July