Australia Calling re Mendi Palm

Clive Anthony Fisher
21st August 2006, 10:18
Some months ago I posted an image of the Mendi Palm ex Leonian built 1936 ON/164286. I know if its fate but can anyone tell me if she was British built originally and where?

Regards Clive

ruud
21st August 2006, 10:47
Ahoy Clive,

Nope, German built in 04-1936 at Deutsche S&M-Wesermünde

Clive Anthony Fisher
21st August 2006, 11:26
That thread didnt last long thanks Ruud.
Clive

lakercapt
21st August 2006, 16:21
Not certain as I was in Palm line at the time she sailed but I think she had a sister ship called Gambia Palm. They were war time repatriations.
Used to carry 12 passengers and had an unusual type of bow (Mayerform????) that was supposed to be more efficient. Know that they were not ocean racers (SLOW) and we had instructions that if we were to overtake them it was to be at night or hull down not to upset the passengers, Not that they would notice as I believe the G & T were flowing early.
There is a site found on Google with pics of palm line ships but the old ones are not there.
The ones that started the company and were hard workers and very uncomfortable in the tropics. Tropics sounds romantic so better say "The West Coast" which does not conjure any romantic feelings for persons that sailed there.

Palmship
21st August 2006, 18:32
Hi All,
the Mendi Palm did indeed have a sister ship, actually she had two! The sisters were in fact the Ethiopian of 1936 which became the Benin Palm and the Nigerian,torpedoed in the Second World war, not the Gambia Palm as suggested.The Gambia was noteable for being the first motorship in the fleet though. All the ships built in Germany at that time were done so to release capital tied up in Germany prior to the outbreak of the war because no one was allowed to take money out of the country at that time
Regards Graham

Peter (Pat) Baker
22nd August 2006, 12:33
I did two voyages in the Gambia Palm (ex Gambian) in 1955.
We did carry 12 passengers. She was a very comfortable and happy ship, although,as somebody mentioned in an earlier post, the gin did flow quite liberally. Ah! happy days.
Peter Baker.

Clive Anthony Fisher
24th August 2006, 12:36
Thanks guys for your help with this one! Your responses have given me all the information I need at present. Thanks once again - a wonderful effort.

Regards Clive