Oberon-class submarines

Francois5
22nd August 2006, 10:19
Here is the list of Oberon class subs.
Regarding the british one, I would like to know their actual fate.
Thank you.

O-class submarine
Royal Navy
Oberon
Ocelot
Odin
Olympus
Onslaught
Onyx
Opportune
Opossum
Oracle
Orpheus
Osiris
Otter
Otus

Royal Australian Navy
Onslow
Orion
Otama
Otway
Ovens
Oxley

Royal Canadian Navy
Ojibwa
Okanagan
Onondaga
Olympus
Osiris

Brazilian Navy
Humaita
Riachuelo
Tonelero

Chilean Navy
O'Brien
Hyatt

Paedrig
22nd August 2006, 13:36
Ocelot is under preservation at the Historic Dockyard Chatham Kent

Arden4
22nd August 2006, 23:41
Onyx was until recently part of the historic ships collection at Birkenhead.
I'm not sure what's happened to her now that they have lost their berth and the Trust which ran them has gone bust.

Aldinga
23rd August 2006, 01:02
The “Otway” has surfaced.

Ron

Holbrook
New South Wales

You tend to see some surprising things while on a long drive in the country, but few could beat coming into a town that has its very own submarine.
Even more surprising when you consider Holbrook is more than 200 kilometers inland and on the Hume Highway between Sydney and Melbourne.
The vessel isn't the full submarine, but it is the above-waterline structure of the HMAS Otway.
The Otway was one of six Oberon-class subs built for the Royal Australian Navy between 1966 and 1979.
It is 90 meters long, some eight meters wide, and was powered by diesel/electric motors.
The Otway was usually crewed by at least 65 men.
The sub was brought to Holbrook by local fundraising, although the widow of the Victoria Cross-winning Commander Norman Holbrook, donated the bulk of the moneys - some $100,000.
In World War One, the then Lt Norman Holbrook took submarine B-11 into the Dardenelles Strait and torpedoed the Turkish battleship Messoudieh.
Upon the vessel's safe return he was awarded the first naval VC, while his crew earned the Distinguished Service Medal.
Near the submarine final resting spot is a small museum that is worth popping in to see. Plans are underway to reconstruct the control area of the Otway.
Meantime, the Otway is much beloved by local children - and parents desperate for a break in a long drive.
And fancy being a truck driver heading into town for the first time in a fog - it would make the person wonder if he'd taken a wrong turn somewhere!

trotterdotpom
23rd August 2006, 01:13
HMAS Onslow is preserved in the water at the Australian National Maritime Museum and open to the public.

John T.

Keltic Star
23rd August 2006, 08:16
Royal Canadian Navy

Ojibwa
Okanagan
Onondaga

Above three Paid Off and laid up in Halifax, Nova Scotia, awaiting decision on sale or scrapping.

Olympus
Osiris

Long gone, will check disposition and let you know.

Submarines are not the most popular topic here since we bought the four, new to us, Trafalgar class from Britiain. Only one, HMCS Victoria partially working on the West Coast, two. HMCS Cornerbrook and HMCS Windsor in refit to do work that we should made part of the deal before we bought them and HMCS Chicoutimi hidden in a shed out of the media's sight in Halifax after the disasterous fire off Northern Ireland. Good old Joseph Lucas strikes again. Now using her for spare parts to keep the others afloat.

Still think we got one hell of a deal albiet badly built and then badly maintained to our "expert" Ottawa desk Admirals specifications while in lay up in the UK. Our policticians didn't want to announce the purchase for 2 years.

BAE built them and guess what, just been awarded the contract to maintain them for the next five years. The mind boggles.

Francois5
23rd August 2006, 08:30
Thank you very much.
Actually, my question comes from a text I read some time ago stating that two ex-brit O-Class were sold/transfer or given to Egypt.
But I can't confirm.
Royal Canadian Navy
Submarines are not the most popular topic here since we bought the four, new to us, Trafalgar class from Britiain.
I believe you mean Upholder. The T-boats are not for sale.
Well, their fate is half yours.
I was living in Canada at that time.
They took ten years to take the decision, couldn't find the arguments to pass the bill.
Sade thing some had to pay that mistake with their life...

Keltic Star
23rd August 2006, 16:44
Thank you very much.
Actually, my question comes from a text I read some time ago stating that two ex-brit O-Class were sold/transfer or given to Egypt.
But I can't confirm.

They took ten years to take the decision, couldn't find the arguments to pass the bill.

My mistake Francois5, should have been Upholder class, probably just wishful thinking on my part that we had Trafalgar class.
Yes, no doubt about it, we are equally to blame but as I said, I stil think they were the deal of the Century despite the ongoing costs.
Cheers
Bob

Gavin Gait
23rd August 2006, 21:05
The thing about the Upholder class is that they were designed from the start to have the stern machinery spaces cut off and a reactor compartment added in a lengthened hull which would have made them almost identical to the Trafalgar class SSN's. They're also very strong , built from the same steel as SSN's so they have a far greater diving depth than most SSK's. The fire onboard and the sad loss of life was totally avoidable too , the captain decided to surface in poor weather and when they opened the hatch ( think it was part of a drill too ) the sea poured in shorting out the main distribution panel causing the fire.

She should be repairable but depending on cash it could take a long time to see her back at sea. They were initially going to have a full AIP ( Air Independant Propulsion ) system fitted similar to the Swedish SSK's but thats been put back by 8 years at least.

Davie

Santos
23rd August 2006, 21:26
ONYX now preserved at Barrow in Northen England.

Keltic Star
24th August 2006, 06:29
The fire onboard and the sad loss of life was totally avoidable too , the captain decided to surface in poor weather and when they opened the hatch ( think it was part of a drill too ) the sea poured in shorting out the main distribution panel causing the fire.

She should be repairable but depending on cash it could take a long time to see her back at sea. They were initially going to have a full AIP ( Air Independant Propulsion ) system fitted similar to the Swedish SSK's but thats been put back by 8 years at least.

Davie

Davie:
I have to jump to the Captain's defence here, he was not held accountable in the Official Inquiry which was conducted by professional mariners who were in possesion of detailed facts that we in the public are not aware of. Furthermore I have not heard any scuttlebutt from those on the mess decks to suggest a cover up.

Quote by the CBC on May 5th. 2005 with extracts from the Inquiry report as follows:

* An air vent in Chicoutimi's tower wasn't working because a nut had fallen off, just 24 hours into the vessel's first trip to Canada. Crewmembers had to leave two hatches open to fix the problem, and were working on it when a wave broke over the vessel, flooding the compartments below.

* A series of electrical connectors in the captain's room that were soaked in the flooding had only one layer of waterproof sealant instead of the three layers that British navy specifications required.

The investigation also found that the British navy upgraded its specifications for insulating the electrical connections on Upholder-class vessels in the 1990s. Two additional layers of sealant were recommended to provide "backup protection." The sealant was added to the other three British subs as they were being built, but not to HMS Upholder, the vessel that would later be named HMCS Chicoutimi and sold to Canada.

On May 5, 2005, a Canadian naval board of inquiry released a 700-page report on the accident. It found that no one was to blame for the series of events that led to the fire.

"This was a combination of human, technical and operational factors that led to a tragic death," said Admiral Bruce MacLean, commander of the Canadian navy, at a news conference in Halifax.

The report concluded that Luc Pelletier, the Chicoutimi's captain, made rational and reasonable decisions the day the fire broke out.

Pelletier's decision to leave both hatches on the submarine open because of the mechanical problem with their vents was at the root of the inquiry. The board found that there was no way he could have predicted that a rogue wave would wash in, flooding the submarine with 2,000 litres of water and cause the events that led to the fire.

Remember the shelter deck design, we never expected that to leak into the lower decks because it was designed and built properly in the first place. Neither do I remember considering that a rogue wave might swamp the ship when deciding to open a watertight access for emergency maintenence purposes, in what, in my judgement was reasonable weather,

Just my two cents worth
Bob

hammer
21st September 2006, 15:07
Here is the list of Oberon class subs.
Regarding the british one, I would like to know their actual fate.
Thank you.

O-class submarine
Royal Navy
Oberon
Ocelot
Odin
Olympus
Onslaught
Onyx
Opportune
Opossum
Oracle
Orpheus
Osiris
Otter
Otus

Royal Australian Navy
Onslow
Orion
Otama
Otway
Ovens
Oxley

Royal Canadian Navy
Ojibwa
Okanagan
Onondaga
Olympus
Osiris

Brazilian Navy
Humaita
Riachuelo
Tonelero

Chilean Navy
O'Brien
Hyatt

I think ovens was cut up at the old ASI shipyard in Henderson WA,now hanseatic marine.One of them is on display on land at the maritime museum in Fremantle,not sure which one.I think one is in reserve for the Collins class which replaced them,built at ASC outer harbour Adelaide.six Collins class.

Peter Dryden
21st September 2006, 17:50
Hms Onslaught was a frequent visitor to my home town of Blyth in Northumberland, I beleive her crew were given "Freedom of the Borough".
She was held in great respect in Blyth, so much so that when she was decommissioned her Conning tower name plaque was presented to the town and now hangs up in our local community hospital.
One sad point was that with the demise of the "O" class subs the replacment class were deemed too large to visit Blyth, hence now no subs visit Blyth a town with such strong Submariner traditions.

Peter

Steve Farrow
21st September 2006, 19:19
Here are two Oberon Class Submarines that I photographed as they awaited scrapping in 'The Creek at Grimsby. Probably early 1990's
Steve

Steve Farrow
21st September 2006, 21:42
I have since checked for the names of these two submarines and they are OBERON and OTTER in Doig's Shipyard, Grimsby

collin
13th October 2006, 14:16
The OTAMA..now moored at Crib Point in Westernport Bay Victoria is to come ashore at Crib Point where the ship and an associated Interpretation Centre will be built ..The site will be named Hastings Cerberus maritime Memorial Centre ...Collin

Hawkeye
13th October 2006, 15:05
Hi

Thank you very much.
But I can't confirm.

The two Submarines offered to Egypt were, I seem to remember reading somewhere, where two of the Porpoise Class subs. I will try to find out more.
In the meantime, have a look at this site: http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/rn/submarine/oberon/ and this one: http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/canada/postwar/oberon/ and while you are at it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_class_submarine & http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/oberon_class.htm
Regards
Karl

JCLW
28th April 2008, 02:16
I'm a little late to this party but I'll add some pictures.

HMCS Onondaga, HMCS Ojibwa, HMCS Okanagan and the Olympus in Halifax, Summer 2004.

Sorry - I don't know which is which (except Olympus, with the older sonar, is 2nd from the dock).

Two Restigouche class DDEs as well - I believe HMCS Gatineau alongside with HMCS Terra Nova rafted to her. Terra Nova was used to film K-19 - The Widowmaker, playing a USN destroyer.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7539/img2809st9.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6487/img2820yt7.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5883/img2822yv5.jpg

melliget
25th November 2008, 12:39
An Oberon class submarine, HMAS Otama, has been listed for sale on eBay. View topic in "Other International Navies" (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=22691)

Stevo
26th November 2008, 22:54
Porpoise Class
Cachalot - Scrapped Blyth 1980
Finwhale - Scrapped Cantabria (spain) 1988
Grampus - Lost whilst in use as a target 1980
Narwhal - Sunk as a dive / salvage training site 1983
Porpoise - Sunk as a target 1985
Rorqual - Scrapped Plymouth 1977
Sealion - Sold to Inner Action charitable group in 1988 and later scrapped Blyth.
Walrus - Sold to Humber Ship Repairers 1987

Oberon Class
Oberon - Sold to Humber Ship Repairers 1987
Odin - Scrapped Aliga Turkey 1991
Orpheus - Scrapped Pounds 1994
Olympus - Sold to Canada 1989
Osirus - Sold to Canada 1992 and stripped for spares then scrapped Garston
Onslaught - Scrapped Aliga Turkey 1991
Otter - Scrapped Pounds 1991 (stripped for spares to Chile)
Oracle - Sold to Pounds 1995 (resold for scrapping Aliaga but foundered off
Gibraltar 2004
Ocelot - Museum Chatham 1992
Otus - Sold Pounds 1991 later resold to become museum in Germany
Oppossum - Scrapped Pounds 1995
Opportune - Scrapped Pounds 1995
Onyx - Museum 1991

With regards to the sale of subs to Egypt, Humber Ship Repairers hoped to refurbish and resale the Walrus and Oberon which were renamed Seaforth A and Seaforth B to the several interested parties including the Egyptians. No deal was forthcoming and the subs were eventually broken up at Grimsby (as seen in the earlier posted pictures).

camberpete
10th March 2010, 15:31
Hi Stevo
I read last post with interest as I had mistakenly thought it was the Osiris the Fairplay XIV towed from Pounds. I used a photograph to brighten up my web page so I'll have to alter the name.
Very intersesting posts on shipsnostalgia.
Thanks.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10th March 2010, 15:48
I have a fond memory of HMS OTTER on what must have been her last commission, in 1990.

I was in Copenhagen to call on AP Moller, who had expressed interest in chartering our two spare newbuilding containerships, Chekiang and Chengtu, which we had ordered because we knew we had a good design and the price was right, with the idea that they might fit into our trades later. Having done most of the preliminaries through Maersk Broker's Hong Kong office it had been agreed that a face to face meeting would, unusually in chartering, be useful.

This was in part because it was quite obvious that no-one in Maersk had ever heard of CNCo, and they clearly doubted our ability to run a ship. For our part, of course, since we had been doing so more than thirty years before D/S Svendborg was set up, we were on our mettle.

As I walked down the quay towards the entrance to the Blue Kremlin I spotted a fin and level with the entrance was HMS OTTER, displaying as is normal her battle honours ...

...which included "COPENHAGEN" ! (Thumb)

I grew about six inches on the spot and strode into the building for a meeting which included such gems as:

"Do you visit your ships?"
"Yes"
"What do you take with you?"
"The daily paper, what do you take?"

and:

"Do your crews repair reefer containers?"
"Do you supply manuals?"

I reckon the sight of HMS OTTER was worth US$200 a day on each of two charters for two years! :D

Manxman 52
4th June 2010, 06:47
I have since checked for the names of these two submarines and they are OBERON and OTTER in Doig's Shipyard, Grimsby

Hi Steve, just looked at the sad state of two of my old boats, Oberon was my first boat and I did my part III to become a fully fleged submariner and I served on her for four years 1976-1980, Otter was my second boat, she was a target boat and I had three happy years on her 1980-1983, by now they will have been cut up and disposed of, sad not because they were disposed of but because the goverment sold our four replacement Upholder class diesel boats to Canada and now we only have nuc's (Cloud)

trotterdotpom
4th June 2010, 06:59
See below for information about the fate of HMAS Otway - it's quite startling when you round the bend in Holbrook NSW and see heer sitting there!

John T.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/hmasotwaybg_1.htm

sparkie2182
4th June 2010, 12:56
Onyx.......Rotting alongside in Barrow.

Dickyboy
4th June 2010, 14:49
I went aboard the Otter in Birkenhead Dry Dock, in the late 60s early 70s.
We met up with a couple of Matelots on a run ashore, and they invited us back to have a look around. We were in the BP tanker in the next drydock. No one seemed to turn a hair as we clambered on board to have a look around. It was about 1am and those asleep didn't even twitch. We weren't loud, though bevvied up. I guess sub mariners are used to sleeping through almost anything, even in those confined spaces.

Dumah54
5th June 2010, 19:30
as of this date, (05/06/10) ex "Fraser", "Olympus", "Ojibwa", "Okanagan" are alongside NAD jetty in Halifax, "Onondaga" left last fall for a museum "up river". Just about cried seeing french lettering on one of MY boats. Worked in the Dartmouth Marine Slips 17 years, we were the only civvy yard to service these vessels. Did a day dive in '88 after "Okanagan" completed her DED. Aparently available for $60,000 each, last summer "Okanagan" spent time at Shearwater testing hull thickness, my sources can't or won't tell me why.

Wasn't aware of "Osirus", was she bought in UK and scrapped there, don't recall her making it over here. Have mostly pleasant memories, except when I got stuck under the ballast pump Stbd aft servicing the "Orseal" valve located there.

Appreciate any and all info pertaining to these boats, they proved to be very good vessels. As to "Chicoutmi" she has been transported to the "left coast", presumably as parts for "Victoria". I sincerely hope and trust that she NEVER leaves the wall under her own power, rather convert her to a Harbour training vessel.

Enough of my rant,
Cheers, Dumah
Halifax, NS

drwhoman
19th July 2010, 00:39
As a volunteer here at the Maritime Museum in Sydney I am pleased to tell you that we have the Onslow which is maintained in excellent condition by the museum employed maintenance team. She is still afloat and has been here since April 1999, having made her last dive in March of the same year. The aim has always been to maintain her as if the crew had just gone ashore. We also have the Daring Class destroyer HMAS Vampire completed in 1959 and retired from service in 1986. She has been at the Musuem since it was opened in 1991. She has just returned from her regular 'wash and brush up' at Garden Island Dockyard so she is looking pretty good. If you are ever in Sydney come and see us! We have over four hundred volunteers many from naval or merchant marine backgrounds. Onslow's sister HMAS Ovens is at the West Australian Maritime Museum in Fremantle where she is out of the water and is probably not in quite so good condition as Onslow but still available to view.

Spikepix
5th August 2010, 01:34
Sat here in Fisher House I can see the Onyx quietly rusting in peace across Buccleuch Dock. Here's a link to what hopefully will happen to her. http://www.submarineheritage.com/ or maybe not.

Dumah54
4th March 2011, 19:10
A post script to our decommissioned "O" boats, I believe that "Okanagan" has gone to a forign power as after completing hull thickness testing she dissappeared. All there is left is "Ojibwa" and "Olympus", both available @ approximately $60,000 each.

Cheers, Dumah,
Halifax, NS

Keltic Star
5th March 2011, 06:00
Okanagan and Olympus up for scrapping tender to Canadian yards only, option to include Ojibwa at a later date.
See:

http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.Asp?WCE=Show&TAB=1&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=PW-%24%24MD-007-21128&src=osr&FED_ONLY=0&ACTION=&rowcount=&lastpage=&MoreResults=&PUBSORT=0&CLOSESORT=0&hcode=dGa9XtiFHDFJrLHBDWDMGA%3d%3d

BUGGINS
13th August 2011, 19:25
Olympus and Okanagan now en route to breakers at Port Maitland. Ojibwa expected to become a museum.

logan007
13th September 2011, 15:40
I've taken pictures of Olympus S-12 being moved through the Welland canal. Was wondering in which category to put the pics?

McCloggie
13th September 2011, 16:16
Further to Post #12;

HMAS Ovens is the one preserved at the Fremantle Maritime Museum.

I was onboard three or four weeks ago!

McC

OliverD
2nd January 2013, 03:24
A thread in the Navy section has a follow up on her state of preservation and conversion into a memorial/museum.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=48833

"They said you had to be half nuts to ride diesel boats and the Navy just let it go at that". "Dex" Moore

harryt8
30th June 2013, 10:19
Onyx was until recently part of the historic ships collection at Birkenhead.
I'm not sure what's happened to her now that they have lost their berth and the Trust which ran them has gone bust.

Onyx has been sitting in Buccleuch Dock in Barrow for several years. It is understood from the local newspaper that she may well depart Barrow shortly, to be towed to Hull for disposal. It is all being undertaken with some subterfuge by whoever the owner is.

This is a shame. She appears to be in average condition and considering its part in the Falklands War it is a national treasure and really should be dry-docked and after some TLC, put on display again.

There is considerable support for this option by former crew members. Frustration is knowing who to approach and deal with.

Boatman25
30th June 2013, 10:45
I saw on another site that Onyx is due to leave Barrow very soon, maybe this weekend for scrapping in Hull

Orbitaman
30th June 2013, 10:54
Onyx has been sitting in Buccleuch Dock in Barrow for several years. It is understood from the local newspaper that she may well depart Barrow shortly, to be towed to Hull for disposal. It is all being undertaken with some subterfuge by whoever the owner is.

This is a shame. She appears to be in average condition and considering its part in the Falklands War it is a national treasure and really should be dry-docked and after some TLC, put on display again.

There is considerable support for this option by former crew members. Frustration is knowing who to approach and deal with.

Onyx was due to leave Barrow on Friday 28th. Departure was delayed by 10 or so days because the hull was no seaworthy and the MCA would not grant a dispensation for it to leave Barrow until repairs to the holes in the hull were repaired.

A close inspection of the hull revealed a number of holes, so it is safe to say that the submarine was in anything but 'average' condition.

sparkie2182
30th June 2013, 15:13
"so it is safe to say that the submarine was in anything but 'average' condition."

I'm not an expert..............but i agree wholeheartedly.

LouisB
30th June 2013, 17:19
"so it is safe to say that the submarine was in anything but 'average' condition."

I'm not an expert..............but i agree wholeheartedly.

Average for its' age and lack of maintenance - cathodic protection not functioning for a long time I assume. Were the holes in the pressure hull or outer plating? Any sub' pressure hull only has a certain life due to the constant compression flexing - a bit like a modern pressurised aircraft. Both can look perfect but the chance of stress failure is v. high. Nukes are the same regarding the hull although certain parts are over engineered for other reasons.

LouisB. (Scribe)

polycell
10th July 2013, 09:38
Porpoise Class
Cachalot - Scrapped Blyth 1980
Finwhale - Scrapped Cantabria (spain) 1988
Grampus - Lost whilst in use as a target 1980
Narwhal - Sunk as a dive / salvage training site 1983
Porpoise - Sunk as a target 1985
Rorqual - Scrapped Plymouth 1977
Sealion - Sold to Inner Action charitable group in 1988 and later scrapped Blyth.
Walrus - Sold to Humber Ship Repairers 1987

Oberon Class
Oberon - Sold to Humber Ship Repairers 1987
Odin - Scrapped Aliga Turkey 1991
Orpheus - Scrapped Pounds 1994
Olympus - Sold to Canada 1989
Osirus - Sold to Canada 1992 and stripped for spares then scrapped Garston
Onslaught - Scrapped Aliga Turkey 1991
Otter - Scrapped Pounds 1991 (stripped for spares to Chile)
Oracle - Sold to Pounds 1995 (resold for scrapping Aliaga but foundered off
Gibraltar 2004
Ocelot - Museum Chatham 1992
Otus - Sold Pounds 1991 later resold to become museum in Germany
Oppossum - Scrapped Pounds 1995
Opportune - Scrapped Pounds 1995
Onyx - Museum 1991

With regards to the sale of subs to Egypt, Humber Ship Repairers hoped to refurbish and resale the Walrus and Oberon which were renamed Seaforth A and Seaforth B to the several interested parties including the Egyptians. No deal was forthcoming and the subs were eventually broken up at Grimsby (as seen in the earlier posted pictures).

I'd be interested to know where you got this info please.
I was of the opinion Finwhale was accidently sunk of the Western approaches during some trial.

polycell
10th July 2013, 09:40
Hi Steve, just looked at the sad state of two of my old boats, Oberon was my first boat and I did my part III to become a fully fleged submariner and I served on her for four years 1976-1980, Otter was my second boat, she was a target boat and I had three happy years on her 1980-1983, by now they will have been cut up and disposed of, sad not because they were disposed of but because the goverment sold our four replacement Upholder class diesel boats to Canada and now we only have nuc's (Cloud)

I was on the Otter during that time as the sonar bender.
I did the refit (78/79 ) then commisision etc
Fred

skippy ilett
14th November 2014, 13:58
HI, the boats in the photo are as someone else pointed out OBERON, and WALRUS, as far as OTTER is concerned,...she was broken up at harry pounds, for your info....i took out quite a lot of equipment ( with very many thanks to Derek Howe ...former otter crew ) i have rebuilt this as part of a walk round display....control room, motor room, etc... then a bit of accommodation small forends ...was originally in norfolk 10ft wide x 56ft long,....but now in Eday orkney islands, so ....although otter was scrapped ...i thought you may like to know that there is some of her left.
i served as REM (sm) on the ODIN,...but joined boats with S Winniarczuk,....his brother was on the OBERON during your time ....so you will probably remember him...a think they were probably both called "winnie"
i spent two weeks attached to oberon during her alongside maintainance....managed to blow up one of her echo sounders ( well it was only the fuse that went),....but it was a hell of a bang ...and cleared the wardroom....i was not popular.
wishing you all the very best.....mike ilett ( skippy )

cunamara
14th November 2014, 14:35
Having worked on many of these subs in Scott's of Greenock I wonder if my memory now fails me, I thought one of the boats went to Argentina.

Scatari
14th November 2014, 19:31
Having worked on many of these subs in Scott's of Greenock I wonder if my memory now fails me, I thought one of the boats went to Argentina.

Cunamara:

While some of the Oberons did go to South America (three to Brazil and two to Chile), none went to Argentina.

Cheers!

skippy ilett
15th November 2014, 20:02
Cunamara:

While some of the Oberons did go to South America (three to Brazil and two to Chile), none went to Argentina.

Cheers!

YES ..and interestingly enough, although both chile and brazil only bought a few,.....both have preserved one for a tourist attraction in each country.
australia two preserved,... canada one...."otus" in germany, and now only "ocelot" in UK ( my little "otter/artemis" display....but that doesnt count for much ).....so ...despite having a large fleet of P & O boats ...+ attempts to preserve both, orpheus & onyx,....we only have one here in the UK.

Scatari
15th November 2014, 20:08
YES ..and interestingly enough, although both chile and brazil only bought a few,.....both have preserved one for a tourist attraction in each country.
australia two preserved,... canada one...."otus" in germany, and now only "ocelot" in UK ( my little "otter/artemis" display....but that doesnt count for much ).....so ...despite having a large fleet of P & O boats ...+ attempts to preserve both, orpheus & onyx,....we only have one here in the UK.

Actually we have two preserved here in Canada - Ojibwa in Port Burwell,Ontario and Onondaga in Rimouski,Quebec.

borderreiver
15th November 2014, 20:19
I Put a picture of one in the Galley which in the Falklands.83

skippy ilett
16th November 2014, 19:37
HI, thanks for that,...i knew OJIBWA had been saved ,but wasnt sure about the other. some while ago i was in touch with a " callzum 2 " on youtube,....who posted some videos of the boats in halifax, then later....them being towed away for scrap....at that time he said there was only olympus still there ( wish i had the cash to preserve her ), unfortunately i am now out of touch with him ...but presume they are all gone now,....however ...it is great to hear from you , saying that two were preserved.
interestingly onyx was at one time attached to canada,....was she the okanagan,....or did canada buy that seperately....i always thought that you had all three built specially for the canadian navy ie .. ojibwa, okanagan, onondaga. but i have never been quite sure.
i spent several weeks in halifax in 1980 on the odin, doing a short refit...then also radar mast seals replaced, then went to st johns, newfoundland, a really good time (several photos to remember it )
anyway...very many thanks for updating me on the two preserved boats ....wish i could have salvaged the captains cabin out of olympus ...if nothing more....need that for my display here.........many thanks...mike.

Scatari
16th November 2014, 20:08
HI, thanks for that,...i knew OJIBWA had been saved ,but wasnt sure about the other. some while ago i was in touch with a " callzum 2 " on youtube,....who posted some videos of the boats in halifax, then later....them being towed away for scrap....at that time he said there was only olympus still there ( wish i had the cash to preserve her ), unfortunately i am now out of touch with him ...but presume they are all gone now,....however ...it is great to hear from you , saying that two were preserved.
interestingly onyx was at one time attached to canada,....was she the okanagan,....or did canada buy that seperately....i always thought that you had all three built specially for the canadian navy ie .. ojibwa, okanagan, onondaga. but i have never been quite sure.
i spent several weeks in halifax in 1980 on the odin, doing a short refit...then also radar mast seals replaced, then went to st johns, newfoundland, a really good time (several photos to remember it )
anyway...very many thanks for updating me on the two preserved boats ....wish i could have salvaged the captains cabin out of olympus ...if nothing more....need that for my display here.........many thanks...mike.

Mike:

Ojibwa was originally being built for the RN (as HMS Onyx), but was purchased by Canada while being built. The other two (Onondaga and Okanagan)were built specifically for the RCN.

As mentioned above, Ojibwa and Onondaga have been preserved,while Okanagan was scrapped in 2011.

Olympus was purchased as a harbour training platform and never went to sea while in Canadian service. She was scrapped in 2011.

Osiris was purchased for spare parts in 1989, but never came to Canada - she was stripped out by Cammell Laird, then scrapped in the UK in 1992.