Hello

robertaward
22nd August 2006, 13:54
Hello! My Grandfather was a Marine Officer in Shanghai around 1940. His name was Thomas (Henry?) Ward, born in Birmingham in 1906. I have been told his father, also, Thomas Ward, was the Captain of a ship.
I've been researching my family tree and hope to find out something about my Grandfather; which ships he served on and where he went.
I've tried hiring a professional researcher but didn't have any luck locating a birthdate for him.
I hope I have more luck with this site! The pictures are excellent, by the way!
Regards, Roberta

benjidog
22nd August 2006, 14:20
Hi Roberta and welcome to the site.

If you check out the Ship Research forum there is a fair bit of information that you may find helpful. The older threads in the forum are not immediately visible but are archived. You can get at them via the Archive control near the bottom of the first screen you see when you log on to SN.

You could also try the Search Forums facility (at the top of all screens) and check out ships etc.you are interested in.

I wish you good luck with your research - expect to spend a long time on it - I am afraid that there are no real short cuts.

Regards,

Brian

non descript
22nd August 2006, 14:24
A warm welcome to you Roberta, my colleague Brian has already passed you the useful info of how to explore SM, so I will not repeat it, but I wish you well, enjoy the site and all it has to offer. I am sure that the members here will be not only delighted, but also very able to help you. Bon Voyage

R58484956
22nd August 2006, 14:28
Another warm welcome Roberta to the site, enjoy it and all it has to offer. I suggest you ask the same question on the MN site www.mowbars.plus.com

Hugh MacLean
22nd August 2006, 17:25
Welcome aboard, Roberta. I hope you enjoy the site.

Rgds

gdynia
23rd August 2006, 11:59
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy all on offer

robertaward
23rd August 2006, 12:22
Hello again and thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I will try posting a quiery on the recommended page and spend time looking into this site. I think I'm just going to enjoy the journey and learn some new things along the way!
Roberta

Gulpers
23rd August 2006, 12:31
Roberta,
......and a warm welcome to the site from me too! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)