T.W.WARD shipbreakers

yorky jim
24th August 2006, 18:10
What history is known of the above firm?i understand that they had the job of cutting down most of the ww11 warships after the war ,then as well took on the task of removing old merchant navy ships.
i find there is no web site for the above firm,
but is there a list of ships that went through there hands.???

Thamesphil
24th August 2006, 19:06
AFAIK, T.W. Ward ceased operations years ago. They used to have a scrap yard at Grays, Essex and during the 1980s they were still breaking up the odd trawler etc. They also used the berth as a scrap export facility and there were often coasters loading there. However, the land was sold some time ago and I believe it is now all redeveloped with houses and flats.

Phil

Tom S
24th August 2006, 19:36
T.W.Ward also had a yard at Inverkeithing in Fife many large vessels were broken up there, The Company was taken over by Forth Ports in 1986. They still ownd the land and the berth but the facility is on long term lease to R.M. Supplies a well known local scrap company. There were many large RN and Merchant vessels broken up there. The only list I know of is when you go into the main office the Hallway is all done up in the mahogany panelling you used to see on old Liners and engraved on the panels are the names of the ships that were broken up there and also there is a number of artifacts fom some of the vessels. The only way I know you may be able to get the information is to contact RM Supplies. Also Ottakers have a book printed locally about Inverkiething and it has pictures of some of the vessels. The company name in Inverkeithing was James A Whyte
Tom

Tom S
24th August 2006, 22:19
The RMS Olympic was one of the great ships broken up by Ward at Inverkeithing try this site http://web.greatships.net:81/olympic.html
There are many more
Tom

graham
24th August 2006, 22:27
T W Wards had a yard at briton ferry south wales a lot of ww11 warships were broken up there including subs regards Graham

Frank P
25th August 2006, 00:04
Wards had a ship breaking operation in Morecambe (Stone Jetty) in the early 1900's, I have seen several books on the subject in Morecambe Library.
They broke up alot of Royal Navy and Merchant Navy vessels.

Frank

yorky jim
25th August 2006, 16:29
tom s ,
i wondered if it was BRITON FERRY south wales.by the back ground.
thanks for the info on T.W WARDS scotland.
it gives me a few more leads.

jim

Tom S
25th August 2006, 18:54
Jim
Try thie website
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/ships/Shipyards/Scrapyards.html
Tom

yorky jim
25th August 2006, 19:46
tom s ,i cant say we are sailing,but with that web site ,it marks down most ships cheer,s

jim

gdynia
28th August 2006, 07:34
Jim
Do a Google search with T.W.WARD shipbreakers and it brings up several pages of their operations in the UK

yorky jim
28th August 2006, 13:58
GDYNIA
did a search on wales ship breakers,
as i know there was lots of hulls laid up during the 40,s and 50s
but having no luck

Mark Chirnside
11th October 2006, 16:04
Thanks for the Olympic link, Tom. I enjoyed reading it.

The greatships website features much of Jeff Newman's wonderful collection of cards; and of course Brian Hawley wrote the potted history for Olympic on that website.

There was some interesting information from Ward's in the late 1930s that they found Olympic's hull 'surprisingly sound,' a testament to the general quality of workmanship.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Hawkeye
11th October 2006, 23:50
Hi
Maritime books of Liskgard have a series of books called 'To sail no more'. There is currently 7 in total. The first two deal with a lot of T. W. Ward yards and should be of interest to you. You can get copies from this website: http://www.navybooks.com/

GALTRA
12th October 2006, 00:53
The late Jack Dakres book, "THE LAST TIDE", A history of the Port of Preston 1809 - 1981, has a chapter on shipbreaking in Preston.-- Messrs. T.W.Ward Ltd; Preston, with a long list of ships broken up by them plus photos of some.

fordy
23rd October 2006, 00:08
T W Wards had a yard at briton ferry south wales a lot of ww11 warships were broken up there including subs regards Graham

i remember as a boy looking out for the ships being broken at wards in the river neath. i associated that is why they called it giant's grave i don't know if that is true

samuel j
2nd November 2006, 23:13
The late Jack Dakres book, "THE LAST TIDE", A history of the Port of Preston 1809 - 1981, has a chapter on shipbreaking in Preston.-- Messrs. T.W.Ward Ltd; Preston, with a long list of ships broken up by them plus photos of some.

by any chance does this book make any reference to Messrs wilkinson of Preston &wigan

thks John , cobh
owners of the "Connemara"

GALTRA
2nd November 2006, 23:34
Sorry , no mention of Wilkinson, Charley

viking
4th November 2006, 17:30
fordy i remember them cutting up ships and a few subs at GIANTS GRAVEYARD just below the bridge

jim barnes
7th November 2006, 00:51
Hello ship mates T.W. Ward is a Sheffield, South Yorkshire company and has been here for a hundred years or so i think, famous for its elephant? sure it is still going? will try to find out, they used to do all types of scrap and demolition work all over the UK.
Jim

jim barnes
7th November 2006, 01:18
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-2521.html try this site it may lead you in the right direction.
Jim

jim barnes
7th November 2006, 01:27
try this site too.. http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/muck/

Nairda59
17th November 2006, 22:14
Thomas Wards had a huge scrapyard in Sheffield not far from where Meadowhall Shopping centre is now, in the late 50's
It had a frame overhead runway with a massive travelling crane on it.
They also had another scrapyard in Barnsley South Yorks or West Riding as it should be !!.
Massive outfit had dozens of 8 wheel wagons for scrap carrying and had some of the first tipping artics in the UK.
To my knowledge they had contracts with all of Sheffields steel producers for scrap feed.
Sheffield City Library Archives department will be able to help out I would have thought.

peter barc
30th December 2006, 23:27
I remember TW wards shipbreakers as we used to load in the early 70s railway lines on a regular basis from TW Wards at Briton ferry and inverkeithing and sometimes glasson dock (outside bearth) and take them to bonniers on the seine halfway between rouen and paris, on one occasion we had the night in inverkeithing and we laid ahead of the British Sportsman that was being cut up and we managed to salvage about 500l lts of BP green paint off her, after one week our ship changed colour from german grey to BP Green and she remained green until her end (MV Heye-P).
Peter...

Nairda59
11th January 2007, 11:52
Great story Peter, similar to a time we were carrying petrol, all properly sealed and customs approved during rationing.
Funny how we managed to get over 100gallons ashore from the cylinders of two steam ram pumps. Where theres an AB theres a way.

yorky jim
30th March 2007, 18:23
after all the very useful ex frigates and subs were broken up ,would it have been the few ex merchant & fishing craft before the firm closed down?

yorky jim
8th April 2007, 17:24
I have come across this pic of INVERKEITHING,with H.M.S LINCOLN.
could any one out there let me know of the breakers name.could i be correct in saying it is of T.W .WARD. And would this have been one of the very last navy ship to be broken up there,???

notnila
9th April 2007, 21:40
Yes Yorky Jim, it is/was Wards at Inverkeithing. Regards Arch

allantcondie
10th May 2007, 14:23
T. W. Ward had interests all over the UK, including the breakers yard at Inverkeithing where the Franconia, Britannic and Mauretania (II) were turned into razor blades. They were also involved in engineering for a time owning Marshalls of Gainsborough and John Fowler of Leeds.

allantcondie
10th May 2007, 14:25
James A. White had nothing to do with T. W. Ward and were an independent firm operating from St. David's Bay. They could only cope with the small stuff and were sometimes forced to 'sell on' prospective purchases when the yard was full.

gil mayes
10th May 2007, 16:42
James A White operated at the former village of St. David's on Forth. When I knew the yard in the mid '50s many of the houses still stood and the shipbreaking was conducted at the old quay in the harbour, but as Allan says the site was very cramped. Not only did they have the ships in for scrap but also ran a small slipway directly into the Forth and had their rather decrepit bunch of "salvage" steamers also in the harbour. As I recall book keeping was not one of the strong points, so records of ships broken up are hard to come by although I do have a small list from the late 1950s through to 1968.
Gil

Tom S
10th May 2007, 16:53
You are quite correct Allan an error on my part in my earlier post James A Whyte should have read St Davids and not Inverkeithing
TomS

allantcondie
11th May 2007, 15:53
Yes, most of my old friends finished up at Whiteys - we went down one Sunday afternoon to say farewell to an old friend - Glen Helen. His collection of vintage steamers, the Nellie Laud, Recovery and Plato were also interesting.

dentina
26th May 2007, 07:54
i remember as a boy looking out for the ships being broken at wards in the river neath. i associated that is why they called it giant's grave i don't know if that is true
No its not ,the name Giants Grave refers to it being the burial site of a local Giant from folklore dating back over 1,000 years.
Well over 200 Ships were broken up here between 1906 and the late 1970s.
I have what I think is a complete list of those Ships and photographs of most, although many not actually taken at the yard itself.

Paul UK
26th May 2007, 08:13
No its not ,the name Giants Grave refers to it being the burial site of a local Giant from folklore dating back over 1,000 years.
I have what I think is a complete list of those Ships and photographs of most, although many not actually taken at the yard itself.

Sad to see but look forward to seeing this info and photos

Paul

melliget
27th May 2007, 17:48
What history is known of the above firm?i understand that they had the job of cutting down most of the ww11 warships after the war ,then as well took on the task of removing old merchant navy ships.
i find there is no web site for the above firm,
but is there a list of ships that went through there hands.???

Jim.
Attached are some references to Thos W. Ward in The Times. From one co. in 1878, it grew to a large group of companies. In a 1965 ad, they said they had dismantled over 2,000 ships in 67 years of shipbreaking. The Thos W. Ward group was eventually swallowed by Rio Tinto-Zinc in 1982 after a 125m takeover battle.
regards,
Martin

melliget
27th May 2007, 18:15
Meant to add, the company published a book in 1953 called: "Outline Of Progress: 1878-1953: Commemorating 75 Years Of Service To Industry, .." If you go to Bookfinder (http://www.bookfinder.com/) and type in Thos W Ward, it returns a couple of hits (a bit pricey though - you might get lucky and find it in a library). There's a more recent publication, a booklet, called "Shipbreaking At Morecambe. T.W.Ward Ltd. 1905-1933", cheaper but noted as scarce.

Martin

yorky jim
28th May 2007, 16:34
That was a lot of info, since i posted this thread i have had a lot of SAIL NO MORE books off e.bay .
And reading through it ,you can piece it,s history .
IN the attac pic ,could this be at MORECAMBE

bristolian
1st June 2007, 20:39

Hello,

I'm trying to compile an online map showing where private companies broke up British Railways steam locos in the 1960s.
T. W. Wards had several yards around the Sheffiled / Rotherham areas, as well as Giants Wharf, Briton Ferry. There were other breakers around the Bridgend, Briton Ferry areas too, such as Steel Supply, listed as being located at Briton Ferry, and also Jersey Marine.

Can anybody help me with their actual locations please?
The map is here:- http://tinyurl.com/32dv2f.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob. we1330 'AT' yahoo.co.uk

yorky jim
19th June 2007, 16:05
In this pic ,is a view of H.M.S ROBERTS being broken up ,at what appears to be at WARDS in Scotland.[ could be wrong]
But looking over Google for ROBERTS i find there is no history for the ship.
do,s it come under a another title?

WLH
19th June 2007, 19:50
Abercrombie Class Monitor, ROBERTS, built Swan Hunter 1915. 6150 tons.
Sold for scrap to Ward, Preston 9/1936.
Regards...............WLH

gil mayes
19th June 2007, 21:30
You are correct Walter, she is on the gridiron in the Ribble at Thos W. Ward Ltd, Preston.
Gil.

yorky jim
20th June 2007, 13:05
Abercrombie Class Monitor, ROBERTS, built Swan Hunter 1915. 6150 tons.
Sold for scrap to Ward, Preston 9/1936.
Regards...............WLH

would that be 19??
as she was in portsmouth untill middle 60,s.

gil mayes
20th June 2007, 14:53
ROBERTS scrapped Preston 1936 was 'Abercrombie' class monitor built 1915; 2 x 14" etc. The ROBERTS that we remember was built by John Brown in 1941; 2 x 15"etc.
Gil.

gil mayes
20th June 2007, 18:29
ROBERTS built 1941 and latterly used as an accommodation and store ship for Reserve Fleet Devonport was sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield and allocated to their Inverkeithing yard for demolition. She sailed Devonport 19 Jul 1965 in tow of Samsonia and Typhoon and was delivered alongside at Inverkeithing on 3 Aug 1965.
Gil

yorky jim
20th June 2007, 18:37
many thanks GIL for the info.now i can put some history to the pic.(Thumb)

yorky jim
10th August 2007, 11:45
could any one say ,Where ever did all the ships bells go ,is there one place the M.O.D keep them?as would they be used on other ships that had the same name.if built .
at times you may see bells off small ships around museum's

KEN WILLIAMS
12th July 2009, 11:59
SAFAIK, T.W. Ward ceased operations years ago. They used to have a scrap yard at Grays, Essex and during the 1980s they were still breaking up the odd trawler etc. They also used the berth as a scrap export facility and there were often coasters loading there. However, the land was sold some time ago and I believe it is now all redeveloped with houses and flats.

Phil
I HAVE A BOOK CALLED THEIR LAST RESTING PLACE I LIVED IN GRAYS ABOUT A MILE FROM WARDS .THE SUBMAIRE TRUCKULENT WAS CUT UP AT WARDS SHE ARRIVED ABOUT 1400 HRS AND AS KIDS WE WERE ON HER AT ABOUT1800 HRS.JUST AFTER THE WAR 4 GERMAN CORVET TYPE BOATS CAME ALONG SIDE THE OLD CHALK AND WHITING JETTY AND WE HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIVES PLAYING ON THEM.I NOW LIVE IN N.Z BUT I WAS IN THE U.K. TWO YEARS AGO AND YES ALL THE AREA AROUND THE OLD WHARF(AS WE CALLED IT) IS HOUSING.KEN WILLIAMS SEAMEW