MT William Dampier

roymuir
25th August 2006, 23:56
G'day all, was wondering if anybody out there had a picture of the Australian tanker WILLIAM DAMPIER? Thanks.

mverrills
26th August 2006, 11:32
I had a couple of mates on the Damp.
If memory serves me she was replaced by the Kelven
She also had a helm like a aeroplaone,

gdynia
26th August 2006, 11:32
G'day all, was wondering if anybody out there had a picture of the Australian tanker WILLIAM DAMPIER? Thanks.
Roy
Theres a Oz/Kiwi publication you can probally get from your local Library with photo in of her its

Source: Ships that serve Australia and New Zealand.
Reference ID: 888810091
Publisher: Sealrail Productions
Year 1983
Volume 1
Title: [Vessel illustrations from 'The ships that serve Australia and New Zealand. Vol 1.']
Author: Fildes, Bob
Abstract: Illustrations of named vessels have been indexed. Illustrations are black and white unless stated otherwise.

roymuir
27th August 2006, 22:15
Thanks to you both. She was in fact replaced by the "Viking Merlin"

Captain2
22nd February 2008, 03:57
Started my second seafaring life as 3/o on the Dampier great ship rotten run

trotterdotpom
22nd February 2008, 04:13
I seem to recall that after she changed to Australian flag, the crew painted a kangaroo on the funnel - was there some controversy about that?

Was she managed by Caltex or Howard Smith? I can't recall.

Captain2 - just read your brief profile, were you by any chance 2nd Mate on mv Howard Smith at any time?

John T.

roymuir
22nd February 2008, 06:49
She was managed by Sleighs'. There was some controversy over the 'roo on the funnel but it was allowed to stay. I did the last gulf run in her before she was scrapped.
Regards, Roy

trotterdotpom
22nd February 2008, 07:06
Thanks Roy, I'd completely forgotten about Sleighs.

John T.

Iangb
9th November 2009, 04:42
Don't know how you got on finding a photo Roy, but found pic on Flotilla Australia http://www.flotilla-australia.com/hcsleigh.htm#william-dampier-hcs

Ian

cbnz
20th December 2009, 20:57

Hi there Roy,
My Dad (Bill Brown) was on William Dampier i think, did you know him ? Unfortunately he passed away on 18th November, 2009. (2 x days after my birthday) (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and chemotherapy affects immune system that was not good) Born 6th October, 1930.

He got me a job on M.V. Ormiston as deck boy in 1982.

cheers,

colin

cbnz
20th December 2009, 21:10

Hi there,
I think my Dad might have been on that ship, Bill Brown, he sadly passed away on 18th November, 2009. Born 6th October, 2009.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma diagnosed over a year ago and chemotherapy does not help the immune system.

He passed away 2 x days after my 45th birthday. He got me a job as deck boy on M.V. Ormiston in 1982.

Cheers,

Colin

cbnz
20th December 2009, 21:12

Hi there,
I think my Dad might have been on that ship, Bill Brown, he sadly passed away on 18th November, 2009. Born 6th October, 1930.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma diagnosed over a year ago and chemotherapy does not help the immune system.

He passed away 2 x days after my 45th birthday. He got me a job as deck boy on M.V. Ormiston in 1982.

Cheers,

Colin