Hungry computer

billyboy
29th August 2006, 00:59
Can anyone help, my computers gone mad yet again! this time it has apparently eaten its program that controls the DVD/writer. i have loads of the wifes school work to burn to CD but the program wont run. cant watch dvd's on it either. ????
even the icon has gone for DVD ???
this thing is wierd, many so called experts are basffled with it.

Frank P
29th August 2006, 09:03
Hello Billy, It would help, if people new which operating system (XP or 2000 etc) you are using.

Frank

billyboy
29th August 2006, 09:11
I am running XP pro plus MS office
System formatted and reprogramed a couple of weeks ago. waiting for a guy to come and see whats wrong

Frank P
29th August 2006, 09:30
Billy, have you tried "System Restore"

Frank

billyboy
29th August 2006, 10:36
A. system only just reprogramed so no available date to restore back to Frank.
B. Strongly reccomended by the expert from the states never to use system restore as it can cause more problems than it fixes.
I have to take the PDU to a guy in the city tomorow he is going to see if he can find out what is causing the problem. My expert from the states has gone back, wont be here again for 6 months. (this guy actually evaluates progs for microsoft)

treeve
29th August 2006, 10:52
Hello Billy ... have you gone into Windows Explorer? Is the program still there?
Have you checked out in Control Panel to see if the program is still included?
I know my daughter had a problem a while back, where a whole directory had
been deleted, for no apparent reason (My Documents); I also have had programs not respond, but I have found them still on the pc directory; I then re-installed them and they work ok. They were sound media programs, too.
I have a very useful utility "procedures" available from sysinternals.com; tells me what actually is running at any one time and how much of the resources are being used. Best of luck, Raymond

billyboy
29th August 2006, 11:19
Hello Billy ... have you gone into Windows Explorer? Is the program still there?
Have you checked out in Control Panel to see if the program is still included?
I know my daughter had a problem a while back, where a whole directory had
been deleted, for no apparent reason (My Documents); I also have had programs not respond, but I have found them still on the pc directory; I then re-installed them and they work ok. They were sound media programs, too.
I have a very useful utility "procedures" available from sysinternals.com; tells me what actually is running at any one time and how much of the resources are being used. Best of luck, Raymond

add remove programs has the dvd listed but it wont open or delete. computer refuses to recognise CD rom or DVD/writer??? even more strange, how come it dissapears like that, tired of listening to people saying computers cant do that... this one does and always has done.
thanks for your advice Raymond. will look up that sysinternals now mate.

Frank P
29th August 2006, 11:22
Billy, I always try to create a new restore point before I install any new programs or drivers, that way if you don't like the way the computer is reacting, you can restore it, I have used "System Restore" several times with no problems (touch wood).
I hope that you can get it sorted.

Frank

K urgess
29th August 2006, 12:13
Billy

You and your experts have probably tried everything so this is probably superfluous.

You said it doesn't recognise your DVD & CD. Have you studied the screen at start up while booting and seen if they are being found? The black screen bit at the beginning.
If you've had it for a while has anybody suggested the CMOS back up battery? I'm not even sure they have them anymore 'cos I can't find one on my motherboard. If you're running Xp Pro then you should have a good late motherboard and possibly not have a battery either.
Motherboards are wondrous things and they can do anything they bloody well like (EEK) . Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
The old computer saying of GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) still works. When I was a computer geek (still am I suppose) CPUs worked at 100% and what you put in you certainly got out. Modern processors have so much redundancy built in that they're about as efficient as your average internal combustion engine.
Do they show up when you open Explorer at all?
I've never had problems with system restore except when the whole shebang has become ganglefloogled. Then there is no answer other than start again.
Is this a PC or a laptop your talking about?
Do you allow Windows to automatically update?

Enough repeat questions. I'm sure someone else will come up with the answer soon. (Thumb)

Cheers

ray1buck1
29th August 2006, 12:32
Hi Billy

Are you sure that your new operating system (XP) supports your existing hardware, has the problem occurred since the new operating system was installed .
Xp doesn’t support all old hardware, and likewise not all older hardware will run on the newer version of XP with service pack 2, you may need to update the drivers for the DVD & CD Try going into http://www.driverguide.com/ you will have to register but it is free search for driver updates if there are ant available

Ray

treeve
29th August 2006, 12:41
If you do get an updated driver, make sure you do set a system-restore before you do that ..... Windows Update advised a new driver for my modem, but thankfully I did set a system restore date; the new driver did not work at all, with no connection - kept re-dialling incessantly.

Another utility I find invaluable is the Sandra set from www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra; I use this whenever I suspect it is a matter of software/hardware conflict, or when a piece of hardware simply doesn't want to play. Free for personal use.

Computer architecture is now so wild and massive, it is a monster just waiting to bite. It used to be a piece of cake writing machine code routines.

Best of Luck

billyboy
29th August 2006, 13:37
I have the latest windows XP pro installed. i check manualy for updates, I have symantec installed as well. this computer is updated as necesary every sunday. it is also defragged on sundays as well. symantec scans every day and is updated regularly also.
One night evrything is working great, shut down correctly, next morning no CDrom Or DVD ??? perhaps it gets hungry during the night. I have tried unsucessfuly to download help programs from the sites given to me in earlier posts.
Gentlemen, i have reached the end of the road. if this guy cant sort it out tomorow its for the bloody bonfire. I kid you not when i say this bloody things driven me to a nervous breakdown state.
Thanks to you all for your support and suggestions.

mcgurggle
29th August 2006, 13:57
Billy
Switch off, unplug & undo the side left of the computer & look at the back of the dvd for two cables.
Ease the FLAT cable out of the back of it remembering which side the red stripe goes. Next ease the next smaller cable beside it out remembering which side the red wire is at.
Re-boot your computer with the cables unattached & when Windows is established, re-boot again. Then Shut Down the computer. After doing this, re-attach the cables carefully making sure they are securely connected both ends & re-boot. XP is a clever piece of software & will 'discover' the NEW piece of hardware & install the drivers automatically. Its unlikely that you have 'lost' your drivers with XP, more likely a hardware fault..
I had a dvd burner that 'died' after 3 weeks. If this does'nt sort it, buy a new burner & install it by loosening the four retaining screws (2each side) & pushing the dvd forward from the case. There will probably be one more cable(sound) to be removed first. Its the smallest one. Insert the new dvd & connect the cables as before. This will solve the problem. New dvd burners are cheap here (less than £30 in some cases) so they should be cheapish in the Phillipines.
Its really very simple.
Good luck
McG (Thumb)

Keltic Star
30th August 2006, 03:17
I'm far from an expert but from past similar experience seems McGurggle is on the right track, otherwise the fickle finger of fate might point to Symantec. It blew almost everything away on my laptop eighteen momths ago, technician managed to restore it, wiped out Symantec and replaced with AVG Free. Haven't had a problem since.

Have a distant relative who was on the development team for Symantic Anti Virus, said it's a pile of c--p and uses AVG himself.

billyboy
30th August 2006, 03:24
FIXED!!
the cd rom has a fault, somehow it affects the dvd/wrter. he fitted a cd/writer, reloaded both drivers and touch wood! everything is ok now. i have just burned off a load of the wifes written work to disc ok.
Hopefully this will be the end of it now. (fingers crossed)
Apparently what ever went wrong with the cd rom was causing programs to missfunction. New cd/writer cost me about 25pounds. its an asus quietrack. now i can burn frm that or the dvd.
Many thanks to you all for your help and concern, very grateful to you all...billyboy

billyboy
30th August 2006, 03:29
I'm far from an expert but from past similar experience seems McGurggle is on the right track, otherwise the fickle finger of fate might point to Symantec. It blew almost everything away on my laptop eighteen momths ago, technician managed to restore it, wiped out Symantec and replaced with AVG Free. Haven't had a problem since.

Have a distant relative who was on the development team for Symantic Anti Virus, said it's a pile of c--p and uses AVG himself.

I had AGV before and it is good. this symantec was loaded when the hard drive was reprogramed. running two anti virus progs can cause havok and i am afraid to delete symantec incase it takes something else out with it. when the guy comes back over here in 6 months time i will get him to do it for me.
thanks again (Thumb) (Thumb)

Keltic Star
30th August 2006, 03:38
FIXED!!
the cd rom has a fault, somehow it affects the dvd/wrter. he fitted a cd/writer, reloaded both drivers and touch wood! everything is ok now. i have just burned off a load of the wifes written work to disc ok.
Hopefully this will be the end of it now. (fingers crossed)
Apparently what ever went wrong with the cd rom was causing programs to missfunction. New cd/writer cost me about 25pounds. its an asus quietrack. now i can burn frm that or the dvd.
Many thanks to you all for your help and concern, very grateful to you all...billyboy

Billyboy, great news, you might want to set a Systems Restore point now.
Cheers
Bob

billyboy
30th August 2006, 03:53
Billyboy, great news, you might want to set a Systems Restore point now.
Cheers
Bob

Thanks for the reminder mate. done it now. (Thumb)

billyboy
3rd September 2006, 08:08
just ordered a new CPU. got a guy building it up for me now.
P4. 3.0 LGA775 pinless.
Gigabyte mother board. 760 memory
80 gig hard drive seagate sata.
and an Altec lancing speaker system P31,940.00 (about 319 pounds)
if that lot dont cure all these recurring problems i will find a cliff to jump off...LOL

Keltic Star
3rd September 2006, 17:37
just ordered a new CPU. got a guy building it up for me now.
P4. 3.0 LGA775 pinless.
Gigabyte mother board. 760 memory
80 gig hard drive seagate sata.
and an Altec lancing speaker system P31,940.00 (about 319 pounds)
if that lot dont cure all these recurring problems i will find a cliff to jump off...LOL

Don't be so drastic Billyboy, throw the computer off instead. Good luck with the new system.

billyboy
5th September 2006, 07:10
seems to be working all right! i will get a monitor, keyboard and mouse for the old one and the wife can use it for her word processing. i will get peace then. i will delete a load of stuff off it first and it shouldnt be too bad for her then. (motherboard as knackered they reckon...LOL) if she do'nt get swearing at it like I did i'll chuck her over the cliff...LOL