Alwyn Vintcent

SeamusMartin
29th August 2006, 06:09
Does anybody know what is happening with the old steam pilot boat Alwyn Vintcent? She worked as a ferry to Robbin Island for a while and then had a diesel engine installed. I think she was then retired from this roll and is now a exhibit at the maritime muesum in Cape Town. I saw a picture on the internet taken last year and she looks terrible, I hope they don't scrap her.

gdynia
29th August 2006, 08:42
Does anybody know what is happening with the old steam pilot boat Alwyn Vintcent? She worked as a ferry to Robbin Island for a while and then had a diesel engine installed. I think she was then retired from this roll and is now a exhibit at the maritime muesum in Cape Town. I saw a picture on the internet taken last year and she looks terrible, I hope they don't scrap her.

Seamus

Theres a little bit of info on her on following

http://www.allatsea.co.za/steamtugs.htm

Scroll down to near bottom of page

Howard
29th August 2006, 12:04
Hi Seamus,
Some years ago she had a diesel ( Caterpillar ) fitted transversly and was operated during the summer months Nov / Dec / Jan / Feb to take tourists out into Table Bay and around Duncan Dock and the old Victoria Basin The trips were about one hour. Unfortunately it seems competition from newer looking boats ( she is a classic, but tourists feel safer on the modern sleek ones ) caused her downfall and I am told that she is laid up at a quay in the Museum at present. Like all the old Pilot tugs that used to serve the port, she will probably be scrapped.

SeamusMartin
30th August 2006, 13:21
Thanks guys,
In Australia and New Zealand we have some very successful Maritime Museums with steam tugs still in steam. In Brisbane we have the forceful, in Auckland the have the William C Daldy, and in Sydney they have a hole fleet including the the 1902 tug Waratah. One would think there would be enough steam buffs in South Africa to get her back in steam and up to scratch? I would hate to see here scrapped, but from what I can gather the whole Museum is not in very good shape, I wonder what, if any thing can be done. It's goegraphic location it should be one of the best in the world. There doesn't even seem to be a website where you can send donations.

reklaw
18th November 2006, 07:33
One would think there would be enough steam buffs in South Africa to get her back in steam and up to scratch? .

Personally I suspect that we dont have a "lets preserve the past" culture here, as usual preservation was left too late and we have lost most of our classic tugs. There were attampts to sail one of the old classic RA Leigh and a sister to Australia or NZ (I forget which) many many years ago, but the Leigh ended up rotting away at her berth and nothing ever happened. I do feel that soon it will be too late to do anything about anything which runs on steam as the skills to maintain the plant slowly get lost as the older generation passes on and nobody learns keep not only steamships but steamtrains running. I operate the Allatsea website as mentioned in the thread above and I deplore the loss of these vessels. The only thing that is left is to actually try to keep their memory going by photographs and active discussion (and the occasional nasty email to the powers that be). My other fear is the bureacracy that often rubber stamps projects and condemns preservation attempts.

SeamusMartin
24th December 2006, 05:20
Hi Reklaw, I have seen you webpage it has some wonderful pictures on it. It inspired me to make my own one with my pictures of the South African steam tugs.

If any one is interested it is at:
http://www.geocities.com/seamusmartin9/index.htm

I have also found the website which I saw Alwyn Vintcent looking very run down and It also has heaps of other great pictures on it.

It is at:
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/ships/tugs_pilot_harbour/thb.html

SAS Amatola
15th March 2007, 00:11
we don't have many vintage tugs around here at present. J.R. More preserved Durban, Ulundi preserved on the hard Durban, Alwyn Vintcent at CT. The AW needs to be removed from CT as she has deterioted quite badly. Was involved in project to preserve her, but little or no interest. Any suggestions?

reklaw
17th March 2007, 09:59
My feeling is the best thing that could happen to the Vincent is that she is bought by somebody outside of the country, put on a barge and taken elsewhere. From what I hear the whole V&A waterfront project has gone from being a working harbour to a yuppie city. These people are not interested in preservation, they just want really overpriced apartments with sea views, not the view of an old guano covered tug. I dont give the Somerset much longer either before she ends up being broken up. Amatola, I would like to hear more about the efforts to save her for the website, and any pics would help too. I do however think its too late for the Vintcent.

SAS Amatola
17th March 2007, 11:32
SAS Somerset is safe. Went aboard her and he is immaculate inside. All machinery intact and little or no brass missing. In fact her engines could well be repaired at later stage. She will be lifted out of the water via syncrolift for scrape and paint shortly. There is a Dutch company after the Vintcent and I say they should take her. what pics do you want?

reklaw
18th March 2007, 11:39
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear Somerset is safe. Hope you get some pics of her bottom for us :-) I am looking for pics of the Vintcent at the moment so I can add her to the pilot boat section of my website (which does not have any pics of her at this mo). I was contemplating doing a page on the 5 sisters but dont have the rescources to do it.

SAS Amatola
18th March 2007, 12:15
have a look at www.sa-transport.co.za and follow links to ships section. My photos are there and you may use them, just provide credit.

sa-transport
18th March 2007, 21:30
I should have posted my post here re the Alwyn Vintcent, have only just seen this thread, here is a link to the other thread.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=116032#post116032

sa-transport
18th March 2007, 21:34
Hi SeamusMartin
Went to your site, great photos, hopefully you will let me steal a couple for the sa-transport site, if I ever get my pc sorted out first that is. Its going into the shop again, will contact you when its back.
Cheers
Moby

SeamusMartin
3rd April 2007, 10:57
Hi Moby
Glad you like the photos, and you can use them on the sa-transport site, it is a great site as well.
Seamus

SAS Amatola
3rd May 2007, 19:49
It needs to be removed from V&A Waterfront by 15 May 2007. Anyone know of any overseas group who may be keen to takeover vessel? Temp mooring being organised in Cape Town in interim.

SAS Amatola
4th August 2007, 14:27
Alwyn Vintcent now laid up next to the repair quay. Has been sold to overseas interests and will be restored there. She is in fair condition having been laid up for almost 8 years.

SAS Somerset recently emerged from dry-dock. Has been repainted below the waterline and work crews busy repairing her upper decks and repainting entire ship. Really looks great!!

SeamusMartin
24th August 2007, 10:09
That is great SAS Amatola, I feared the worst. Do you know where she is going? Will she be restored to original condition and put back into steam? or converted into something else? That is great news about SAS Somerset too.
regards,
Seamus Martin.

SAS Amatola
28th October 2007, 18:36
No longer destined for overseas. To be retained in South Africa. Will be towed to Mossel Bay and placed undercover in a museum. This at least ensures her future has a museum ship, even though she will never steam again.

Joins the Ulundi and JR More as the last steam tugs in South Africa.

SeamusMartin
5th November 2007, 12:03
That is great news, at least when I get back over that side of the world again, I may visit her. You never know maybe some day she may be put back into steam, when and if enough interest is generated, stranger things have happened. Will she be in the water or on the hard?

JeffM
17th December 2007, 12:32
I have just caught up with this thread so apologies for acting as a johny come lately. I have just returned from a conference trip to Cape Town and have posted some photographs of the Alwyn Vintcent and Somerset. Have yet to learn how to connect posted photos to discussion thread, so look at my gallery in SN. Before reaching CT I knew about the AV and poked around till I found her - in a corner hidden from the eyes of non curious tourists moored alongside Somerset. The museum is in a formative stage and does not have much money - the attendant was pessimistic about the long run future of the Somerset. The docks are very touristy - no different from any where else where docklands have been "revitalized"! Expensive restaurants and shops selling imported souvenirs. Both ships were not open to the public so are not likely to attract much interest and are not signposted in any way. Thanks to Amatola, Transport and reklaw for the local info. Would have looked you up if I had read this before I went. SeamusMartin, as your first entry provides the reference point for this thread could you edit your heading to change Vincent to Vintcent. I have the same problem with old fingers that dont fit on keyboards! Cheers, Jeff

SeamusMartin
26th December 2007, 11:54
G'day Jeff,
I don't seem to be able to change the heading of the thread, but have contacted SN to see if they can do it for me, sorry I never noticed that I had missed spelled her name. Did you get to go about them and look around? Did you get any pictures of the wheelhouses or engine rooms etc.
Cheers,
Seamus Martin.

JeffM
29th December 2007, 01:00
New Year Greetings to you Seamus Martin. Thanks for chasing up SN re title spelling. I came across this problem when trying to cross reference discussion threads on the Nobska ( once a ship in the process of preservation in Boston but now dismantled) that some called the Nobsku. It would be good if SN could get a search facility like in Yellow/White pages that also gives you similar names where one letter might be missing or substituted. I tried to get on board both vessels but no in attendance and all locked up. Also some distance from the fledging museum. Attendants at the museum confirmed the story that the Alwyn Vintcent had been purchased by an overseas company but thought that it would be restored and maintained in Cape Town given its links to Nelson Mandela and the transportation of "prisoners" to Roben Island. Jeff.

SeamusMartin
14th February 2008, 12:45
Thanks JeffM,
new years greetings to you to, I know I am a bit late, I have been very busy at work, but thanks a lot for the info. I hope to see some pictures of the wheelhouse, engine room and boiler room and crew accomadation.
Cheers,
Seamus Martin.

JeffM
15th February 2008, 03:49
Seamus Martin, thanks for the New Year greetings - now a distant memory or is it a fog? If you do locate any internal photos of the Alwyn Vintcent will you post them on SN? JeffM

SAS Amatola
12th March 2008, 11:03
sadly, all deals have fallen through and ship will be disposed of. Unless someone has a bright idea.

bashfordg
13th March 2008, 07:40
The museum have been presented with an alternative today, which would see preservation of the vessel in Australia to assist unemployed as a training ship! Another small historic UK motor vessel will be relocated shortly via ship and the Alwyn Vincent would be picked up on the way. Shall have to wait and see what they say.... far better than scrap I would think.

JeffM
17th March 2008, 00:50
bashfordg, do you have any details on Australian destination and organisation that will be responsible for the Alwyn Vinctent preservation? Does preservation mean static or operational? And the "small historic UK motor vessel" is....? You must have been a teaser in another life, Regards Jeff.

bashfordg
17th March 2008, 09:18
Well "teaser" it may well be at the moment, however am pleased to report that things are looking a little more positive.
I believe it is hoped that the vessel will be returned to operation... under steam as not a great deal is required there.. still a lot of investigative work needed.
Sadly a lot seems to have been lost, there isn't even that much technical info about her left.
I think that these had about 750 ihp however could well be incorrect. Also the state of the boiler, the type of diesel "conversion" i.e what type of Cat engine used. Much seems shrouded in a cloud.
What is known however is that it is possible to save the little ship, however like always it is a question of economics.
It is hoped that the Alwyn will be able to make her way to Sydney. However all going well, she will arrive via Freemantle at least in a safe and clean condition.
So far that much is looking ok, however early days yet.

Cheers. Gordon.

JeffM
17th March 2008, 09:25
Thanks Gordon. Glad to hear that the destination is Sydney - there is more support there than in Melbourne for active maritime preservation projects. And it hurts to say that! Cheers jeff.

SeamusMartin
22nd March 2008, 14:12
A little bit of info on her
Alwyn Vintcent (1958 -)
Builders: Cantieri Navali e Officiene Meccaniche de Venezia
Dimensions: 83 * 20 * 11
Engine: Single triple expansion 117 NHP 300 IHP
Speed: 10.5 Kts
Tonnage: 111 gross

bashfordg
23rd March 2008, 08:42
Hopefully things are indeed looking better and better.

Now some help is needed.

It is possible that a lot of the data has been lost through no fault of anyone. So if anyone has drawing ot this type of ship or any other info, photgraphs, etc.. no matter how insignificant them pls let us know either via email or post.

Thank you Seamus, that is all correct. I dont believe that these were issued IMO numbers.. however am also curious as to class or survey that they operated in. And of course anything else..

A HUGE thanks too goes to to SAS Amatola... great help and genuine guy..

Update next week

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg
27th March 2008, 16:33
Good news.

It now appears that the museum has or is about to formally accept the deal and thus the "Alwyn Vintcent" gains a new lease on life!

She is being inspected today for required work prior to relocation and these are planned to commence in the very near future.

If I can figure it out, photos will be posted in the next cpl days.

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg
28th March 2008, 03:56
Well here goes.

Here are a few "teaser" pics

These pics were taken yesterday... all thanks to SAS Amatola whom attended the inspection.

Thankfully she wont be in this state for very long!

Destructive things... seagulls

Cheers

Gordon

JeffM
28th March 2008, 06:14
Good outcome. Congrats to you and SAS Amatola. Minced seagulls for the cat.

bashfordg
28th March 2008, 08:21
Thank you very much Jeff.

The "Alwyn" is actually the last of her kind and quite a unique multi-purpose little tug.

You will be hearing much about her very soon, she has a unique and special role to play here... not as a "museum ship" but as an actual working vessel able to provide exceptional promotional and training benefits and I would hope to be able to compliment and further existing restoration projects.

Stay tuned for more details... and pics in the next day or so

bashfordg
29th March 2008, 11:06
Those damm pests are all going to be evicted within the next couple of weeks.

Am very pleased to report that the little ship is in far better condition that I thought, and is pretty much complete.

Here is a little brasswork... the wheelhouse and a shot of the cylinder tops...

Taken a couple of days ago

Am very happy with her.

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg
3rd April 2008, 20:13
This post is simply to issue thanks.

There are a dedicated team of South Africans preparing the Alwyn for her voyage "downunder" and they all deserve a special vote of thanks.

The Alwyn now has a little website www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

(Yes the name was spelt wrongly as the site would not for some reason "permit" the correct spelling of her name.)

Thank you again guys, you know who you are

Cheers

Gordon

vchiu
4th April 2008, 04:07
Hi Gordon
Thank you for keeping us updated. I am in China so it will be a bit challenging to give a hand, but I am very happy to see your efforts are bearing fruit.
Congratulations for this and good luck for the remaining
Cheers
Valery

JeffM
4th April 2008, 06:17
Gordon, any details available on the voyage to Oz? Or is it too early. Once again a great outcome.

bashfordg
4th April 2008, 06:32
Hi guys,

There may be an chance to ship in early June so am targeting this date.

Work is progressing quite well and things are slowly being worked through although there is a lot of chasing around over there... it seems that all sorts of things went everywhere, and now that the ship has been handed over, we also have to do the best we can to "put it all back together" so to speak, re plans, old certificates, etc etc.

The "Alwyn" was actually the first of them built, however not many photos of her remain whilst she was "in service" at Mossel Bay. She has, however been featured in and the subject of of a number of paintings... such as here

http://www.bluestarline.org/wallace_trickett/walley031.htm

I am often asked whether am "set" on Sydney as a destination for her.. and in fact the answer is no.

At this stage am reviewing a considerable number of "Expressions Of Interest" from local business within Australia as wish to initially place her in one area for at least three years, providing I feel that she will receive sufficient support.

All donations greatfully accepted..[=D] (just kidding)

bashfordg
7th April 2008, 14:15
Hi Guys

Well and so many thanks to those great SA people putting in a superb effort for the old girl. A little work was conducted over last weekend and things are looking great:

Finally we are actually being able to put together a lot about these unique little ships and their history. This includes drawings (for the modelmakers), photographs, histories, etc.

And now some accurate information. They actually produced 390 IHP at working pressure (200 psi). 140 rpm.

Have attached a couple of little pics of boiler internals: Not too bad at all considering she has not steamed since 1994!

Oh and a little one of the coal fired stove! Dont see many of them anymore...

Cheers

Gordon

vchiu
7th April 2008, 18:21
I can't believe I am looking at a 50-year old boiler. It looks like it has just been put into commission... And this Stove is a real treat to see!

Looking into a boiler is like looking into the arteries. It really looks like you have a sound piece of engineering. I am realy looking forward to your success in securing this little ship.

SAS Amatola
7th April 2008, 18:46
Yes, she is a beautiful little vessel! Now has a secure future and an excellent new home!

reklaw
21st April 2008, 17:55
Wonderful... I am glad to see she is going where she will be looked after and wont block the view of any yuppies apartments in Cape Town. Sadly I dont have any worthwhile pics of her in my collection to offer except what is on my website. We lost 3 of our classic tugs through indifference, at the rate things are going she could become the only survivor if JR More and Ulundi end up being dropped for something more "upmarket". Bravo to our friends in OZ and congrats to the team that are making sure she leaves with some dignity.

andysk
25th April 2008, 12:04
........... The "Alwyn" was actually the first of them built, however not many photos of her remain ..........

Sadly I have none of her, but several slides of some of her sisters, if I can find them, I could post them in the gallery if requested ....

Great work for preservation, in a difficult time., well done all concerned.

Cheers

Andy

bashfordg
26th April 2008, 11:44
Many thanks to all of you who express your support.
Things are slowly but surely coming together and all is going well for the old girl.
She is amazingly good condition actually, however that is not all that surprising since she last worked 8 yrs ago, and was stored as a "dead ship"...
Iziko too have been nothing but cooperative with the getting together of all her parts / drawings / etc, they too have played an important part in all this.
Word is fast getting around here in Aus, and I am forever busy... that is a good thing.
It seems a little odd, however she is for "technical" point a foreign vessel in South African waters now!
She will leave South Africa with a great deal of dignity, and I trust provide a unique link in that with the right "help" and attitudes we can indeed save some of these irreplacable pieces of Maritime History no matter where in the world they may be found.

SeamusMartin
1st May 2008, 11:05
Hey Andy,
I would love to see your slides, if you can find them,
Cheers,
Seamus.

andysk
5th May 2008, 01:01
Thanks Seamus, as soon as I can find them in the loft, I'll put them up here, or rather in the gallery ...

Cheers

Andy

bashfordg
5th May 2008, 08:02
Hi Guys

There is an early pic posted in the Gallery... taken about early 90's. There she is under steam, with additional liferafts fitted and still sporting the brass nav lamps which luckily I have stored safely ashore.

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg
10th May 2008, 09:44
Hi Guys

Well work has begun... and things are already looking better!

My thanks to the South African crew... they are doing a fantastic job.

The website has now been updated in the Albums section with a few pictures taken by SAS Amatola on Friday 10th May 2008.

www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

No more birds (see attached pic!)

Cheers

Gordon

bashfordg
28th June 2008, 11:46
Hi Guys

Well time now for a long overdue update! I have been very busy with another unique vessel (ex RAN Admirals Barge) and apologize for the lack of update re the Alwyn.

Things have been progressing very well and at long last she now looks like a little ship again. The attached pics tell the story!

A fantastic effort from a wonderful crew who actually take pride in their work!

I received this email from Cedric Hunter / the last person (was with the museum when it owned the vessel) and this pretty much says it all...

Hello Gordon,
After being homebound for weeks of persistent freelance work and a spell of illness, I was finally able to visit the AV again on Wednesday last week--and what a transformation.
Although Charlie brought me up to date on his progress whenever I phoned him, and on all the work still to be done, it was really great, seeing the little ship cleaned up and freshly painted again, after all the years of neglect. The site of the tug, as my wife and I approached her, so reminded me of how she looked back in those years when we were steaming her for the Maritime Museum.
It was on a day in the first half of January 1994 that the AV, as it turned out later, became the last S. African ship to move under steam power. We won't count the three or four small steam launches in this country.
I happened to be aboard that day on engine duty, and, often being the last to leave, was instructed to close down ship for the season. But as there were no further AV steaming seasons to follow, by slowly drawing out her boiler fires that evening, I unknowingly gained the poignant distinction of being the one to close the era of S African maritime steam, dating back to the 1830s.
This is of course, unless some wealthy local steam-heritage benefactor revives one of our last three remaining steam ships (that is, after your tug's departure) back to working order. Highly unlikely, given the enormous yet fruitless efforts to attract meaningful sponsorhip of the AV, even during her years of much publicised steaming.
I hope we'll get to meeting during your busy visit here, and would certainly like to see her finally being lifted from S. African waters, a fitting moment to bid the little ship farewell.
Best regards,
Cedric.

There is a genuine effort on the part of many South Africans to preserve a wonderful heritage and it is my hope that the Alwyn Vintcent can in some way provide a little more inspiration worldwide, and prove that where there is a will there is a way!

Cheers

Gordon

vchiu
29th July 2008, 07:35
Hi Gordon
Thank you very much for the update.
She looks gorgeous now and seems ready to set sail.

Congratulations for your hard work and for all the ones involved!

SeamusMartin
21st September 2008, 12:50
Hi Guys any updates? Is she on the ship bound for Australia? Did anybody get photos?

SAS Amatola
3rd October 2008, 11:20
Still in SA. Under my watch and in good order.

SAS Amatola
15th March 2009, 11:49
Any update regarding this vessel? Have not been involved since last year.

JeffM
17th March 2009, 08:41
Gordon, where are you and the Alwyn?

bashfordg
5th May 2009, 12:15
Just a quick message.... I am now recovering fairly well following my recent stroke and things are now once proceeding with the Alwyn Vintcent. My thanks to all for well wishes.
Update will follow in a few days.

B Rgds

Gordon

JeffM
14th May 2009, 09:35
RE "I am back" - does this mean you are now a combination of Lazarus, General MacArthur and Arnie? Good to hear you are recovering and Alwyn is proceeding. Cheers, JeffM

vitalspark
11th June 2009, 15:32
Here are my kids and Alwyn Vintcent in Knysna, Western Cape, South Africa, in March 1986.

Best wishes,
Dave

SeamusMartin
12th July 2009, 11:39
Great Pictures of Alwyn Vintcent, thank you for posting.
Cheers,
Seamus.

Mendi
20th October 2009, 15:09
Ja well sadly the tug is still moored in the waterfront. Not looking too good at all!

PH

Mendi
11th December 2009, 09:36
Her current state as of last month. Disgusting! (MAD)

PH

SeamusMartin
12th December 2009, 00:05
That is very very sad.

Mendi
13th December 2009, 17:57
http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/wanderer/2009/04/07/cape-town-icon-theatened-by-gunfire-or-worse/

For those that like to follow blogs. View the comments where one contractor explains what happened following restoration!

Mendi
1st March 2010, 10:30
The tug is still double banked on the SAS Somerset and is a rusting hulk. Unbelievable that it has been left to rust away. A very sad day for South Africa if the ship gets cut up for scrap.

JeffM
15th March 2010, 14:34
Mendi, thanks for the update and the link on post 64. It is difficult to keep track of what is happening to the Alwyn from here so your updates are appreciated.

Mendi
17th March 2010, 11:41
Rumour has it the ship may be converted into a restuarant or worse if sold. Impractical if you ask me!

S. Toth
19th March 2010, 04:51
what ever caused the preservation of her to dwindle out?

Mendi
24th March 2010, 23:01
Its a long story! pm me if you want to know more.

Mendi
3rd May 2010, 11:12
(MAD)At this rate she could sink at her mooring or be cut for scrap! Ship is in an horrific state and covered in guano!

Mendi
30th June 2010, 15:38
(MAD)RIP Alwyn Vintcent!

JeffM
2nd July 2010, 08:58
Mendi, what is the story behind your RIP?

Mendi
8th July 2010, 10:42
Full story of what happened to the ship and the contractors who worked on it will be published here shortly. Everyone has the right to know what happened!

SeamusMartin
19th July 2010, 10:36
I think I may just cry!

Mendi
20th July 2010, 11:58
I don't blame you. The poor ship has been laid up for almost exactly two years with no upkeep whatsoever. Theft has taken place with all brass lanterns stolen as well as engine spares. Engineroom is intact though.

The various contractors who worked on the vessel are still awaiting payment for services rendered! This is one of the reasons the vessel has not left our waters.

Attempts to contact the owner were all in vain as no response was ever received.

SeamusMartin
31st July 2010, 12:47
Sorry Sir I am not to blame, I do not know the owner personally, I am very disappointed that the vessel has not been kept up to scratch and that the contractors have not been paid for their hard work and effort. (Probably a little embarrest as well an Aussie letting down the team.) I fear that the Alwyn will be scrapped, and that will be a terrible shame for maritime history. I just wish I knew what to do?
Regards,
Seamus.

Mendi
9th August 2010, 20:09
Nope, we don't blame you either.

Somehow a solution needs to be found so all parties are happy. No one wants to see the ship scrapped either.

Mendi
31st August 2010, 19:49
Owner has had a scrap dealer look at ship. Nice one!(MAD)

JeffM
3rd September 2010, 03:33
Thanks Mendi for the bad news. Whoever is responsible for letting the Alwyn Vintcent get to this state should, amongst other things, carry an ongoing burden of guilt and suffer many sleepless nights. Such a beautiful and historic little ship meeting such an end.

Mendi
3rd September 2010, 11:10
(Cloud)Yes. A local group did offer to purchase the ship for preservation, but the owner said "it all depends on what we receive as an offer from the scrap dealer"!!! So clearly those are their intentions! We don't get it as why bother purchasing a ship, restore it, leave it to rot and then sell it for scrap? :confused:

Mendi
27th October 2010, 12:14
saved at the 11th hour. More news to follow shortly. (Applause)

Mendi
5th November 2010, 12:20
Vessel is now owned by a South African and will be taken ashore for preservation. Thanks to all who were involved.

JeffM
7th November 2010, 13:54
Mendi, do you mean the Alwyn will be permanently preserved as a non floating ship or is this a temporary measure? Either way it is good to hear that she has been preserved and not scrapped.

Mendi
17th November 2010, 15:55
Correct, she will be placed ashore in a specially prepared dry-dock, then restored to working order. As it will then be situated about 5km away from the largest man-made freshwater dam anything is possible! Ship will be taken about 100km inland. I will keep everyone updated.

woodend
17th November 2010, 16:35
Hi Mendi: this is good news. I did many a happy delivery trip as 'skipper' on the Alwyn Vincent from Mossel Bay to Port Elzabeth and back when she did relief duties and annual 'lay up' in Port Elizabeth. I spent a few days camped out on her bridge in Mossel Bay during 'high holiday season' as there were no hotel rooms available ashore waiting for the wind to abate. The rest of th crew of course lived in Mossel Bay. That Italian built class of pilot boat / tug were good sea boats up to force 6! After that they submerged!

JeffM
19th December 2010, 07:04
Mendi, best wishes for Christmas and New Year and thank you for keeping us informed about the saga of the Alwyn Vintcent. Cheers, JeffM

SeamusMartin
9th February 2011, 12:11
Well that was close, well done to all involved. I would love to see any pictures of the big move when it happens.

JeffM
12th January 2012, 13:03
Do our South African friends have any further news on the fate of the Alwyn Vintcent or her progress in being preserved as an out of water historic ship?

Reef Knot
12th January 2012, 13:47
http://www.alwynvintcent.co.za/

Ric
25th February 2012, 00:22
Hi Mendi, How are things going over there with the AV.

Last pics I saw she was stripped down to the deck almost ready for road transport.

I would be keen to hear and see how things are progressing.

One of my work colleagues who is from Johannesburg remembers the AV quite well and he was quite chuffed when I showed him the latest from the website.(Thumb)

On a note from over here in Sydney our Ferry Baragoola is coming along very well. I personally am not as involved as when we were fighting to save her but still donate bits and pieces to assist the restoration and visit a few times a year.

Cheers Ric.

Mendi
5th March 2012, 13:43
Hi there

I have no idea whats happening except that road transport slated for May.

Good news re Baragoola though.

Mendi
4th May 2012, 15:31
She has been slipped, is on a multi-axle trailer and en route to Villiersdorp. ETA Sunday.

SeamusMartin
6th March 2013, 04:03
There are excellent pictures and videos of the move on the website above.

ben27
10th March 2013, 05:30
hy ref knot.12-1-2012, 22:47.i have been reading this thread re:alwyn vintcent i was verry inpressed with the attempt to save this small craft.i went to your link.and it showed,photos of her.being transported to her base for scrapping and painting.also a company who will clean her hull but also provide al the paint to paint the whole boat,it seems tha she is truly saved.you have all done a fine job in preserving your shipping history.great post.happy sailing.ben27

Reef Knot
10th March 2013, 11:07
It is a feel-good story, isn't it? Sadly that webside seems to have stalled a bit - the information seems a bit old. I'll try finding a bit of recent progress if I can.

Reef Knot
25th March 2013, 04:36
http://www.alwynvintcent.co.za/AVnews/news31/news31.htm

Is this new news or old news? A good read anyway! :-)

ben27
26th March 2013, 03:33
good day reef knot,yesterday,12:36 re:your link.i have just watched it,great photos.what a great and dedicated team of restorers,thanks for showing.have a good day,ben27

Mendi
7th April 2013, 22:15
http://www.alwynvintcent.co.za/AVnews/news31/news31.htm

Is this new news or old news? A good read anyway! :-)

Vessel is in Villiersdorp. Saw it last week. She is safe.