what ship is that.

nhp651
29th August 2006, 19:07
hi,could anyone please tell me what I saw as Braehead BAE systems on the Clyde yesterday please.sadly it was the one day of my holiday that I didn't take my camera.didn't think I needed one at the pizza hut in the middle of a shopping mall.
the first was the Royal navy ship Cardigan bay,but she had a motiff painted on the funnel of what looked like palm trees in a circle.the next 3 where small corvette/frigatte looking ships with a single small bofors type pop gun on the fore deck and had the consecutive numbers on bow and transom of 28,29 and 30.the 3rd was a larger grey funnel line with the number D32 on her bow.oh how i wish i'd had my camera.ceste la vie.cheers for any info.

wigger
29th August 2006, 20:51
Hi, RFA Cardigan Bay has 2 small exhaust ports at the end of her flight deck but no traditional funnel up top. The badge on her sistership Mounts Bay is on the base of the mast if I recall. The badge sounds like the Combined Forces badge, an anchor, with a gun and wings across it. D32 is HMS Daring, the first Type 45 destroyer. The 3 corvettes have been built for Brunei, they are the Nakhoda Ragam (28), Bendahara Sakam (29) and Jerambak (30). There seems to have been some dispute with Brunei over these vessels. I saw one of them at Portland a couple of years ago but thats about as far as they seem to have got before heading back to the Clyde. I'm sure somebody out there can give us the full story? :)

nhp651
29th August 2006, 22:06
Thanks Wigger.greatly appreciated.the new Daring looked a smart piece of kit from what I could see of her.a far cry from her war time name sake.thanks again.neil.

robotski
12th September 2006, 07:50
nhp651, I beleve the argument arose when Bruni refused to pay for them, I am not sure way that is, but BAE insist the ships perform as "specified" whatever that is supposed to mean, here is a picture of Nakhoda.

Rory Bhoy
16th September 2006, 10:09
Hi, RFA Cardigan Bay has 2 small exhaust ports at the end of her flight deck but no traditional funnel up top. The badge on her sistership Mounts Bay is on the base of the mast if I recall. The badge sounds like the Combined Forces badge, an anchor, with a gun and wings across it.

Having recently just served on the Mounts Bay, I can vouch for the above. (Thumb)

Fulton
12th April 2008, 10:36
i heard that the three ships for Brunei had been paid for but that they were now surplus to requirements so Brunei is paying to have them stored and maintained in running order on the clyde until they are needed. This was only through word of mouth though and may not be accurate information

hawkey01
12th April 2008, 10:46
There was an article in the papers within the last week or so about these vessels. The gist of which was that they were built to the highest standard and equipped with the latest advanced equipment. However the Brunei Navy being small does not have personnel trained on this equipment and they are unable to train sufficient personnel to man these vessels. Therefore they have been put up for sale.
Maybe our MOD could purchase them and help our own decreasing Navy!!.

Hawkey01(Frogger)