Loch Loyal

Bob S
4th October 2004, 13:44
Royal Mail Line's LOCH LOYAL (57/11035) inward bound passing Tilbury on the River Thames.

tanker
4th October 2004, 15:26
this C/P ship 12 passengers built Harland & Wolff in 1954 had a sister
the LOCH GOWAN.

J. ERFURT
5th December 2004, 23:29
Earlier day I was also interrested to find out something about the ship LOCH LOYAL.

This is what I found out:

Royal Mail Lines, London, England. Royal Mail Lines, London, England. Technical datas and ships history: Built: 1957 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 11, 035g, 6, 447n.
Engine : Single Screw, Steam Turbine, Double Reduction Geared. 16 Knots.
Passengers: 12. Tiled Swimming Pool. The ship was built for the joint North Pacific service with Holland America Line. In October of 1969 she was disabled by a fire in the Engine Room and in 1971 she was sold to the Aegis Group of Piraeus and renamed Aegis Loyal. She was broken up at Shanghai in October of 1974.

Best regards from Hamburg, J. Erfurt

gerry scaife
9th January 2006, 06:29
Hi all
This is Gerry Scaife, ex Loch Loyal bottom of the pile "Junior engineer" I'd like to tell you first of all that seeing Loch Loyal on your site was Wonderful.
Is that not a beautifull ship?. That their were so many ships like her gives an idea of the joyfull memories that many British sailors have.
Where are all the the old Royal Mail crew?
I have to correct the info you have on Loch Loyal, The engine was a B&W 2 stroke 7cyl exposed top piston diesel, and in 2 years of operation I remember one one hour shutdown in the atlantic for a fuel pump repair.
Gerry.

Bob
9th January 2006, 08:10
The picture of Loch Loyal is great, but I always thought all the Royal Mail ships looked good, My first trip was on "Pampas" as galley boy did 4 trips and enjoyed them all save the first!!!! Cheers Bob (Applause)

R58484956
9th January 2006, 11:46
WElcome Gerry to the site enjoy what it has to offer and a happy new year to you.

Sailtie
27th April 2008, 19:48
This is an old thread but I've only just found it!
I was in Loch Loyal 1961 as a cadet.
I certainly remember that 7 cylinder B&W. Used to crack liners every time we slowed down. Engineers hardly ever got shore leave!
But what a beautiful ship. Remember great swimming pool too.

Bruce Carson
27th April 2008, 20:02
Sailtie, it's good to have someone post against old threads.
Brings them to the forefront again for those who who have not previously seen them and also those who are happy to get a second look.

Bruce

3rd May 2008, 13:47
Great ship. I only ever went deep sea on the somewhat older Loch Garth but did a UK coastal and dry dock on Loch Loyal.

nwales
23rd August 2008, 15:04
Hi,
I sailed on the Loch Garth in 1967 and then on to the Loch Ryan, which was renamed as the Pacific Envoy. Very happy memories if the US West Coast

Malcolm S
6th September 2008, 04:08
I served my apprentiship with Royal Mail, sailed twice on the Loch Avon but the (Drunken) Drina was my favourite

Bazwhitt
23rd March 2012, 14:33
I was on board when the fire in the engine room occurred, what a time it was.
This is an old thread but I've only just found it!
I was in Loch Loyal 1961 as a cadet.
I certainly remember that 7 cylinder B&W. Used to crack liners every time we slowed down. Engineers hardly ever got shore leave!
But what a beautiful ship. Remember great swimming pool too.

Sailtie
23rd June 2012, 16:57
Just a point and I don't like to sound too pedantic but although Loch Loyal and Loch Gowan were near sister ships, the Loyal was a motor ship and the Gowan was a steamship. Gowan had her main topmast black to denote same although if my experience was anything to go by, I'm sure the Loch Loyal made as much smoke!

Geoff Grundy
3rd March 2014, 16:36
Hi, My name is Geoff Grundy have just joined and been reading various comments that have been posted, some not very recent must admit. l was in the Loch Loyal 67/68 and did 4 trips with "auntie" great Capt. and a good ship. l was 2nd Elect to John Waterman 1st Elect & good guy, we still keep in touch. All the others i remember were Paddy Cordner c/e,Gordon Payne c/o,Ben Blyth 2/e, Arthur Finch ch/stwd,Bob Nickson 3/e,Dalton Greenwell j2/e,Wally Rodrigo j/e - Wally and i talk regularly and have visited each other a few times. Well hows that for a memory, i look forward to any replies that you guys may have. l was also 3rd Elect Amazon 65/66 & Senior on Eleuthera 69 then i left RML went to various co,s inc P&O retired 5yrs ago, my last year was with lOMSP on Ben My Chree. So there you go & best rgds to all, Geoff