SS Memling

kingsport
31st August 2006, 00:59
Hello, I George in Canada. My grandfather was first mate on the Lamport and Holt Line steamship SS Memling, when it was torpeoed off Breast France in 1917, it had one of her engines blown off its bed and had a broken back, she was able to make port, where she was declared a total loss. My grandfather ended up with the Org red duster flag off her, and I now have it in my posession, handed down by my father. I flew the flag here on Canada 2006, and it looked great. I have been looking for a photo of the Memling for a number of years now, and the closest I found, was a photo of her sister ship SS Murillo.
Here is some info on the Memling
MEMLING - 1915-1917
Code letters: JLRQ Official Number: 137472
Master: Captain A.W. Amey
Rigging: steel twin screws steamer; 3 decks & Shelter Deck; 8 bulkheads, partly cemented and partly asphalted; fitted with electric light & refrigerating machinery; cellular double bottom, aft 110 feet, under engine & boilers 95 feet, forward 153 feet, 1,134 tons; Forward Peak Tank 22 tons; Aft Peak Tank 18 tons
Tonnage: 7,307 tons gross, 6,789 under deck and 4,483 net
Dimensions: 440.1 feet long, 56.3 foot beam and holds 35.6 feet deep; Forecastle 48 feet
Construction: 1915, A. McMillan & Son Ltd. in Dumbarton
Propulsion: quadruple expansion engines with 8 cylinders of 20 1/2, 29 1/2, 42 & 61 inches diameter each pair; stroke 48 inches; operating at 215 p.s.i.; 887 nominal horsepower; 3 double ended & 1 auxiliary boilers; 21 corrugated furnaces; grate surface 424 sq. ft.; heating surface 17,070 sq. ft.; engine by Harland & Wolff Ltd. in Belfast.
Owners: Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. (Lamport & Holt, managers)
Port of registry: Liverpool, hit by submarine torpeodo off Breast France Oct. 3, 1917.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1
The photo, is the Memling Flag being flown here in Canada on Canada day, so I could get a photo of it. First time being flown since 1917
Best Regards
George

john shaw
31st August 2006, 10:07
not a pic I'm afraid, but a few more details (if you already have them,apologies):

Memling, 7,307grt, defensively-armed, 3 October 1917, Laberildut Channel, near Brest, torpedoed without warning and sunk by submarine (naval-history.net)

regards

airshoo
29th May 2009, 03:54
Thanks for the reply John. I do have that info, I also have the org copy of the Captains official report on the incident, it seems no one seen any sign of a torpedo track, and in other reports it stated that it was attacked by UC.21 Oct 3 1917, but UC.21 was sunk with all hands Sept 1917. I think perhaps the Memling hit a mine. The Capt ran her aground to avoid sinking in deep water.
Regards George

KevinR
28th June 2009, 22:18
As a postscript to the thread, my very first trip to sea ( to a Channel port) was as a Junior Engineer on Lamport & Holt's SS Memling. This was in October 1958, and the Memling was a Liberty Ship with triple expansion engines, very nicely maintained as I remember....

airshoo
29th June 2009, 17:41
Hello, that Memling you were on, was Memling 2 or 3, the one my grandfather was on, was built in 1915 and lost off the coast of France Oct 3 1917, my grandfather was second Officer, and was on watch when it happened. Thanks for the reply.
Regards: George

nautibuoy42
29th June 2009, 21:49
As a postscript to the thread, my very first trip to sea ( to a Channel port) was as a Junior Engineer on Lamport & Holt's SS Memling. This was in October 1958, and the Memling was a Liberty Ship with triple expansion engines, very nicely maintained as I remember....

Hi Kevin, I think the MEMLING you where on was originaly built as the EMPIRE BARDOLPH for the Ministry of War Transport (Donaldson Line) acqiured by L and H in 1945 as the MEMLING, before going to Blue Star as Vancouvier Star, then back to L and H in 1957 as the Memling, scrapped at Flushing in 1959.

lesfish
18th September 2009, 10:07
Hi Kevin, I think the MEMLING you where on was originaly built as the EMPIRE BARDOLPH for the Ministry of War Transport (Donaldson Line) acqiured by L and H in 1945 as the MEMLING, before going to Blue Star as Vancouvier Star, then back to L and H in 1957 as the Memling, scrapped at Flushing in 1959.

As a new member just looking at the site , I was a cadet on board the Memling when we took her to be scrapped in Flushing. She was my first ship and we had just done a double header i.e. London-BA-Hamburg-BA-Flushing. Home via the Hook of Holland
Regards
Les

david m leadbetter
8th January 2011, 10:08
As a new member just looking at the site , I was a cadet on board the Memling when we took her to be scrapped in Flushing. She was my first ship and we had just done a double header i.e. London-BA-Hamburg-BA-Flushing. Home via the Hook of Holland
Regards
Les

Hi Les.

I sent you a reply earlier today.
Looking further at L&H dirrectory I see that you took the Memling out to London BA Hamburg and to Flushing (out to scrap).

Looking at my disharge book I see that I signed on Roscoe 4 April '59. I recall she was a 'flat ship' , with steam engines and was unloading in preparation for another voyage to South America. I also recall that there was many engineers standing by on her at that time. We almost had to fight for a bed. It also poured down with rain all the time. I think I thought I was lucky to get sent over to the Roscoe.

Does this ring any bells...
David

lesfish
8th January 2011, 10:29
Hi David , Thanks for the reply. I joined the Memling ( Capt Jones)March 1959 in London. My next ship was the Raphael (Capt Jones) then Delius (Capt Davis), Rossetti (Capt Spooner) , Romney(Capt Casey) and Rubens (Capt Williams)
I visited on board the Roscoe sometime in BA.

Hope this helps - Regards Les

nautibuoy42
8th January 2011, 21:49
Hi David , Thanks for the reply. I joined the Memling ( Capt Jones)March 1959 in London. My next ship was the Raphael (Capt Jones) then Delius (Capt Davis), Rossetti (Capt Spooner) , Romney(Capt Casey) and Rubens (Capt Williams)
I visited on board the Roscoe sometime in BA.

Hope this helps - Regards Les

Hi Les, I see you were on the Romney under Cpt Casey, I was on her in 1959 on a home trade run in April, then a BA run May to July the same year under Cpt Casey,prior to that I was on her from Dec '58 until Apr '59 under Cpt Metcalfe. I don't know if you were on her at this time, your'e name is familiar, but I can't put a face to it, the joys of old age creeping on! Regards, Glyn.

Pat Thompson
8th January 2011, 21:52
Greetings,

Have a look HERE (http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20Mc/slides/Memling-01.html) , she looks about the right vintage. As ever VMT to photoship.co.uk