Ashington

Bob S
4th October 2004, 14:01
Stephenson Clarke's experiment into wind power. ASHINGTON seen on Tilbury Landing Stage on the River Thames on the 20th April 1988.

Strack
26th October 2008, 21:19
Nice to see a pic of the Ashington.
I was chief on her when she was fitted with the wing sail.

chadburn
27th October 2008, 19:07
Hello Strack, how did it all work out did it look promising in 1988? bearing in mind future possibilities.

andylangton
28th June 2009, 21:48
my father was on her too (bosun) ,the sail was walker wingsail from plymouth

keith mitchell
25th May 2012, 20:09
my father was on her too (bosun) ,the sail was walker wingsail from plymouth

i sailed with your dad ( billy) good man. its been at least 15 years since i saw him last. that wing sail was a good beacon when you were lost, could see it for miles.

IBlenkinsopp
1st June 2012, 10:37
Hi Guys,
Did a few trips on the Ashington, before and after the windsail. Mainly with Captain Joe Johnson and laughing Bill Gibson.
Also went down to R.S.A. during the miner's strike with Capt Pirie, Mate was Duncan Mc Callum. George Todd was the donkeyman and Ron Dobie Bosun. I remember going to Dunston staithes, we must have been one of the last to load there in 1980.

A.D.FROST
3rd June 2012, 09:09
I sailed on her to South Africa and non-stop from Durban to Genoa the long way round.

Pat McCardle
3rd June 2012, 11:05
I think the Washington also went to South Africa, Richards Bay? Did she loose her mast homeward bound?

sheep48
21st November 2012, 10:34
my father was on her too (bosun) ,the sail was walker wingsail from plymouthhe day..
was that billy langton, i sailed with him back in t

geoff abraham
29th November 2012, 13:00
AD FROST
Did you sail from teesport to cape town then round to durban then all the way back to genoa i was on that trip edh with my cousin micheal elliott steward had a great time down in sa

A.D.FROST
29th November 2012, 13:16
AD FROST
Did you sail from teesport to cape town then round to durban then all the way back to genoa i was on that trip edh with my cousin micheal elliott steward had a great time down in sa

No joined in Caen,loaded soda ash Santander for Durban.Durban,Genoa,Huelva,Lisbon.Light ship to Blyth.(1985)(Thumb)