Reardon Smith Nautical College

duquesa
4th September 2006, 10:12
Can someone please tell me all they can about the above named college and, if possible any of the cadets who passed through it's doors in the 1950's. Thanks.

Alan Lord
8th April 2007, 17:49
Hi duquesa,

I was a cadet at Reardon Smith Nautical College Jan-Dec 1960. Please get in touch if you think I can help,

Regards,

Alan

duquesa
8th April 2007, 17:55
Hi Alan, very good of you to get in touch. I was there 1957/58 and have been keen to track down any of those who were at that time. I have had absolutely no success. They must all have vanished into the ether. However, thanks to this site, last year I was put in touch with one of Capt.Rose's daughters. As a result of that contact,I now have some photographs of my fellow cadets and of the sail training vessel. She also brought me right up to speed on the staff. Many thanks. Enjoy your retirement.

cymruman
9th April 2007, 09:10
Just a quick update, sadly the college has been replaced by a housing estate Which I think is named Reardon Smith Court or something similiar.

duquesa
9th April 2007, 11:16
Indeed, correct.

Rogerwebb
15th September 2008, 15:36
I left in Summer 1961 to join the Clan Line. I found my old ID book a few months ago and can't believe such a fresh young man ever existed.

I went on afterwards to do a degree in UWIST which was the CAT in our days but have been involved in the sea and ships ever since.

I think it's a drug that hooks us all

Alex Baxter
20th November 2009, 22:25
I left in Summer 1961 to join the Clan Line. I found my old ID book a few months ago and can't believe such a fresh young man ever existed.

I went on afterwards to do a degree in UWIST which was the CAT in our days but have been involved in the sea and ships ever since.

I think it's a drug that hooks us all

I was there in 1970, engineer cadet, what was the training vessel called, from memory it was a fairmile? I spent 10 years at sea with Reardon Smiths, happy days spent in a haze of alcohol! Captain Ball was in charge, best lecturer was Durham, as he'd been there and done it..

Lancastrian
21st November 2009, 14:33
There is an RSNC group with a few photos on Friends Reunited.
The TV in my day was a proper one, only an auxiliary engine!
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=57501

Alex Baxter
27th November 2009, 21:30
Margarita! They were all named that..

Lancastrian
27th November 2009, 21:37
Yes, I believe Captain Rose was fond of the name.

peter3807
27th November 2009, 23:35
I had just left school and was sent there for a two week induction course for the new ONC courses which started in 1970. The Margarita then was an ex mine sweeper. Sailed out of Barry.
It seems now to be something from a bygone age. Us ONC lads didn't even have uniforms. Woken up by bugle, climbing that bloody great mast and ballroom dancing lessons. Great induction for life on a tramp bulk carrier.

Peter

duquesa
28th November 2009, 00:20
The original Margarita was no minesweeper but a very excellent sailing vessel of which we were all extremely proud. The minesweeper came later. Possibly the ex. St.David and no doubt under the command of the redoubtable Fred Ball.
I spent many happy nights on watch duty in both Barry & Penarth docks on the old girl. I have some excellent pics of her if anyone is interested.

Jacktar1
28th November 2009, 02:41
Saw the name mentioned. I was a good friend of Fred Ball through the 1960's and 1970's, both of us were attached to HMS CAMBRIA, South Wales Division, RNR at Cardiff. I did some annual training cruises on board HMS ST DAVID the ton class coastal sweeper attached to HMS CAMBRIA.
Usually Fred who was a Lt Cdr was in command and I a mere Lt was first Lieutenant, good old days and many happy memories.
Sadly Fred passed away last year.

Cheers.......Glan

jrg
28th November 2009, 03:58
I was there in 1970, engineer cadet, what was the training vessel called, from memory it was a fairmile? I spent 10 years at sea with Reardon Smiths, happy days spent in a haze of alcohol! Captain Ball was in charge, best lecturer was Durham, as he'd been there and done it..

Hello I took Part A Seconds at Cardiff in 1973-I found all the lecturers good, but Mr Durham stood out-and excellent mentor.

jrg

Lancastrian
28th November 2009, 09:42
The TV of the 1950s/60s (Ex Nocturne) was spelled MARGHERITA. (Link to photo above). I'm fairly sure the minesweeper was not the late Fred's St David but a Ham Class.

I now find the name can be traced back to Sir William in 1925 - http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/rhagor/article/reardonsmith/?display_mode=text

Billieboy
28th November 2009, 09:45
Been trying to remember St.Davids number, I think it was M101.

Lancastrian
28th November 2009, 09:52
HMS Brereton (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=HMS_Brereton_%28M1112%29&action=edit&redlink=1) was HMS St David between 1954 and 1961
HMS Crichton (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=HMS_Crichton_%28M1124%29&action=edit&redlink=1) was HMS St David between 1961 and 1976.
In my Ian Allan (1960) St David is M1113 which doesn't match either of the above.

Billieboy
28th November 2009, 10:09
That's it Lancs, I was thinking 1101just a minute ago!, M1113 it is, used to see it every morning, when walking to work from James street station to the central workshops Cardiff Docks, as an apprentice.

duquesa
29th November 2009, 17:34
I have found a decent pic of the 50/60's Margherita but have no conceivable idea how to get it from my desktop unto this page. Beyond the limits of my PC know how. (MAD) So, if anyone has instructions in idiot proof language, I may give it a whirl.

vasco
29th November 2009, 18:33
Assuming your pic is on your desktop.

When you have the Reply to Thread window open

1) Scroll down to additional options.

2) Click manage attachments

3) In the new window that opens click browse

4) Look to your left and you will see desktop

5) click on desktop

6) click on the pic, or folder then upload and away you go (hopefully)

Lancastrian
29th November 2009, 19:18
Even easier is post it in the Gallery under Sailing Ships and the put a link on here. Anyway whats wrong with this one?

duquesa
29th November 2009, 19:42
Vasco, Thanks for the tips. It is telling me the pic is too large and I've resized it down as far as it will go.

Lancastrian, wrong colour. She was all white when I was there.

Lancastrian
29th November 2009, 20:09
OK here she is in white but not a good copy.

Is your image a .jpg? The limits are 293KB at 1024x 800 which is quite generous. If its something else you should be able to convert it. If need be email it to me and I'll have a go at sorting it.

duquesa
29th November 2009, 20:26
Many thanks. I'll have a go myself and see what happens - then....I'll attach it to an email (that I can do)

Jacktar1
29th November 2009, 20:30
Re the HMS ST David I mentioned, the ton class coastal minesweeper attached to HMS Cambria, Sth Wales Division, RNR. She was ex HMS Crichton, I was one of the officers that picked her up from HMS Vernon (Shore Establishment) Portsmouth. Had a name change to HMS St David.....M1124.
Cheers
Glan

duquesa
29th November 2009, 20:33
Lancastrian, just had a look and that is the same pic I have so no worries. Many thanks.

Billieboy
29th November 2009, 20:47
Re the HMS ST David I mentioned, the ton class coastal minesweeper attached to HMS Cambria, Sth Wales Division, RNR. She was ex HMS Crichton, I was one of the officers that picked her up from HMS Vernon (Shore Establishment) Portsmouth. Had a name change to HMS St David.....M1124.
Cheers
Glan

What Year was that Jack? I remember the one lying in the East Dock Cardiff in 1956/9

Jacktar1
29th November 2009, 23:07
I believe it was around May 1961. We returned the 'old' St David to Portsmouth and commissioned M1124 as the 'new' St David. The old one M1112 had Mirlee's Diesels and M1124 had Deltic diesels, otherwise not much difference. Both 'open bridges' !
Cheers,
Glan

Jacktar1
29th November 2009, 23:30
Hello Billieboy,

When we took the 'old' St David to Portsmouth and picked up the 'new' one, that was my first annual sea training since being attached to the South Wales Division, RNR. We execised daily out of Portsmouth for a week and then had a 'foreign' visit, to Scheveningen, Holland. Just realised that you live in Holland and probably know it !
If my memory is correct, nearly all the other vessels in port were fishing vessels ! We had a great time, but on sailing from there for the return passage to Cardiff ran smack into a force 8 gale as soon as we departed Scheveningen.

Cheers,
Glan

Billieboy
30th November 2009, 06:50
I do know Scheveningen Jack, been there many times. I also remember the old M1113(2?) with the Mirilees engine, as one of the lads I did my time with was in the Cardiff Sea Cadet corps, I can remember him telling me that the boat's engine was the same as the Emergency power unit(diesel), for the Cardiff Docks hydraulic system.

Lancastrian
14th December 2009, 20:31
Pic of St David M1113.

Brummiepete
14th March 2010, 17:50
Can someone please tell me all they can about the above named college and, if possible any of the cadets who passed through it's doors in the 1950's. Thanks.

Duquesa, I was there in 1957/1958 and went on to join the Ben Line. I would own up to being pretty US at all things practical but nevertheless managed to make it though to getting a Master's (FG) ticket in July 1967. I eventually left after two deepsea trips as 1st Mate in 1968. I moved into IT and Telecommuncations after that. I retired early in 2001 when I was 61. Before my wife died in 2005 we had some good P&O cruise holidays for a bit of nostalgia (for me at least).

duquesa
14th March 2010, 18:43
More on this later Peter. I have sent you a PM.

roddy
14th March 2010, 22:27
Brummiepete

Slightly of thread, but does Bendoran and Captain Cringle ring any bells? Brummies were in fairly short supply in Ben Line and I have distant memories of us having one as second mate. Albeit one with much more hair and dramatically reduced deadweight from the one in your Avatar!

regards

Roddy (cadet)

Brummiepete
15th March 2010, 11:02
Brummiepete

Slightly of thread, but does Bendoran and Captain Cringle ring any bells? Brummies were in fairly short supply in Ben Line and I have distant memories of us having one as second mate. Albeit one with much more hair and dramatically reduced deadweight from the one in your Avatar!

regards

Roddy (cadet)

Hi Roddy, I have just checked my Discharge Book (Sad Hoarder that I am) and yes I was on the Bendoran as 2nd Mate from 4 NOV 65 to 6 FEB 67. It looks as if 3 of the 4 voyages were with a Capt Sinclair but the first one could be Capt Cringle it is not very clear. SADLY, I am now carrying more weight than hair. That voyage was from 4 NOV 65 to 9 FEB 66.

You are quite right about Brummies and Ben Line. In fact I think that I was possibly the first English Cadet that joined (15 AUG 58) Ben Line. I joined because my Sea Cadet CO was the local Ben Line Agent in Birmingham at the time. Because my parents were unable to fund the whole of my kit requirements for RSNC he paid for most of it. Therefore, I felt that my parents and I thought I should apply to Ben Line. Overall I didn't regret that decision.

During my time at RSNC there were two other Brummies, one of whom was from the same Sea Cadet Unit who had joined one term before me.

I hope that helps.

Peter

CAPTAIN JEREMY
15th March 2010, 12:10
That's it Lancs, I was thinking 1101just a minute ago!, M1113 it is, used to see it every morning, when walking to work from James street station to the central workshops Cardiff Docks, as an apprentice.

I spent a summer staying with my grandparents in Cardiff, in 1965, I think. Used to see her many times as my cousin drove me around the docks to look at the ships. the highlight (for an 8 year old) was when they had an open day so I was able to go on board and have a look around.

memageon
28th July 2010, 23:38
Returning to TSMV Margherita (ex HMS Trensham) - Last probable public involvment was with the tall ships get together in Milford Haven June 1991.
Last heard of in Portsmouth 1993/4 under Camper Nicholson's Flag.
Where is she now?
Cheers - ex-Master Margherita

jojenn
4th July 2011, 01:08
I came across this photo a while ago, thought you might be interested, if you have not already seen it.
http://www.shipphotos.co.uk/pages/margherita.htm
Ships Monthly of August 1997 had an article about all the "Hams" and included info on Margherita/Tresham.

Masirah
25th September 2011, 10:40
Nice to see a thread devoted to RSNC. I do not know why I haven't spotted it before. I was there 56-57 leaving in July 57 and Joining T&J Brocklebanks in September 1957. I have attached a picture of the Port Watch of 56-57. Problem is remember some of the names.

Back row L-R ? Me, Jarrold (Cadet Captain), Pete Radford (Readon Smiths). ?, ?, Stamatou (fm Cyprus), ? (Iraq).

Front row L-R. ?, ? (Iraq?), Gary Hallet, ? (Iraq).

I was one of the crew of Nocturne (the name was changed later) which did the ferry trip to bring her to Cardiff after the college had purchased her. She was the first training ship, indeed the first proper ship the college had. Up to our arrival all we had was a couple of rowing skiffs in Bute dock, now no longer. Nocturne was purchased in 56 and on the first attempt to get her to Cardiff the 55-56 crew managed to get from Southampton to Dartmouth and decided it was too risky to attempt the trip round Lands End in the winter so she laid up over winter. It was decided that the Easter break would be a good time to attempt the second part of the journey, Four cadet gave up their Easter break, Burroughs, Edwards, Hallet and me along with Capt Rose, Ball and Wrightman with an engineer from the boat yard in Southampton hired for the trip. We made it eventually but we were lacking the necessary experience in deep sea sailing. Theory OK, practical needed more time. I at least could spell sailing having spent pre RSNC in dingy sailing. We had to have two attempts to get round Lands End, a storm preventing the first attempt and sending us to seek shelter in Newlyn for a week. The second time we made it and sailed serenely up the Bristol Channel.

We missed the first few days of term, no problem there, and made the headlines in the local press. She was a lovely ship. built for a naval officer who had intended to sail her to Gibraltar and retire there. World War II intervened and she became someones yacht before lying idle for some time prior to the college buying her. I took an interest in her machinery and accuired the job of engineer so went out on every occasion she was used and did many of the watch keeping duties in port, at the time we kept her in Barry Dock.

Happy Days.

Michael Meredith

duquesa
25th September 2011, 11:46
Hi, I had an email contact from Burroughs (In NZ I think) about 18mths ago as a result of a Friends Reunited pickup. Then lost contact again. I recognise Stamatiou and the two Iraquis. I often wonder what became of them. There was also another Greek there from Chios called Agiasoglou at the same time. Good pics - great memories -Tks.

Masirah
25th September 2011, 20:11
Hi Duquesa

Yes fond memories. I have discovered another photo that might be of interest. I can not remember what the occasion was but it seems that the college won a cup for something as John Ninian Rose is there holding it. Difficult at this distance to remember who is who.

back Row L-R ?( possibly Burroughs), me, Pat Symons, ?;?; Stamatiou, ?:?:?:
Front row L-R ?(Iraq), ?: JNR, ?, Gary Halett, Pete Radford.

The first picture is Nocturne at Barry Dk from above taken after climbing a coal tip which we were moored alongside.

Michael Meredith

duquesa
25th September 2011, 22:15
The second from left rear is Theo Agiasoglou as mentioned in my last post. The two Iraquis again I remember and I think the left front row is Yusuf.

duquesa
25th September 2011, 22:17
Another look shows that the front second left is Sheridah, another Iraqui and one heck of a nice guy. I really do hope those chaps made it through the events out there.

sidsal
25th September 2011, 23:00
I have just received delivery of a newly published book - From Ship's Cook to Baronet which is a bigraphy of Sir William Reardon Smithe who started the nautical school and of course owned the famous tramp line.
It is by David Jenkins and published by teh University of Wales Press.
The first pages promise a fascinating book !

Masirah
25th September 2011, 23:15
Hi Sidsal

Sir William did indeed start a nautical school in Cardiff but it had closed several years before RSNC came in to existence. The Readon Smith school took boys from secondary school age much the same as Conway, Pangborne and Worcester. RSNC was named for Sir William and to carry on the tradition he started in the locality but there was no connection with him, the old school or the company. RSNC was based on the lines of Warsash and indeed that's where its Captain came from. The only difference between the two was the size, RSNC being a very much more modest affair. Being new and lacking any sort of track record we only got six months remission of sea time. But hey small is beautiful also.

Michael Meredith

Masirah
25th September 2011, 23:24
Hi Duquesa

Second from left rear is me next to Pat Symonds. seventh from the left is Taffy Edwards next to Gary Hallett, which I miss identified the first time round.

Michael

duquesa
26th September 2011, 08:57
Was a long time ago and the memory is not as sharp as once was. Good to see the pics though. I was CC there and left July '58.

Brummiepete
27th September 2011, 22:17
I had started to enter some comments about one of the two Greeks that were at RSNC when I was but it has disappeared. He was called George Iconomopolis (?). One of the Iraqi cadets who I think was Cadet Captain called Jaddy/Jaddie. I seem to remeber that he called off one of the six o'clock runs because it was raining heavily!!! Richard Burroughs who I think was in the same Sea Cadet Unit as myself, the TS Sherbourne on Moseley Road in Birmingham. I think that he was Cadet Captain at RSNC when he insisted that we went out for the early morning run after it had snowed. TS Sherbourne is not there any longer and I don't know if it exisits at another location in Birmingham (unless someone knows better). I remember spending a duty watch on MARGHERITA overnight in Penarth/Barry Dock? with another Brummie called Bob Palmer. He was very much into engineering because I seem to remember that he fixed a problem with the engine that night. I thought that I saw him in an Indian Restaurant in South Birmingham several years before my wife died. I hope that this has been of some interest and not too much like the meandering of a Senile/Senior Citizen.

sidsal
27th September 2011, 23:07
Masirah:
Thanks for info. I was intrigued by Masirah as I was 3rd Mate on the old Masirah just after ww2. Looked at you profile - glad to see you are a believer like me !
God bless
Sid

duquesa
28th September 2011, 11:33
Peter, I'm going to send you a pm later today when I get a minute free. I have just sent an email.

Chris Kisch
28th October 2011, 14:19
Poor Commander Ball. I'm sure he had seen it all before, but after the usual green drinking vouchers had been converted to Brains SA, the engineers thought they would put their knew found knowledge of Stress and mechanical fracture engineering to good use.

Commander Ball found that his prized Moggie 1000 had had some LSD during the night and had flown up onto the canteen roof. Such was the weight bearing calculation that the fire brigade and lifting gear had to be employed to bring dear Moggie down.

We were ALL fined of course.

Never-the-less we were not a bad crowd in 1973 and were diligent enough for most of us to move on. Some are still uncertificated today......

Chris Kisch
28th October 2011, 14:20
But she rolled like a pig.....

The original Margarita was no minesweeper but a very excellent sailing vessel of which we were all extremely proud. The minesweeper came later. Possibly the ex. St.David and no doubt under the command of the redoubtable Fred Ball.
I spent many happy nights on watch duty in both Barry & Penarth docks on the old girl. I have some excellent pics of her if anyone is interested.

Wallyh
20th November 2011, 08:23
Spent six months at Reardon Smith's College September 1971 - March 1972, classmates were

Neal Jerrum, Eddie Fielding, Alec Skeogh Reardon Smith Cadets as was myself, Martin Osborne, Silver Line, John Salter, Bank Line and Wally Premier who I think was with P&O GCD, I bumped into Neal Jerrum a few times whilst taking 2nd Mates & Mates, Eddie Fielding and Wally Premier once orr twice in the mid 70's the others I have never met again though I did hear that Alec Skeogh had crossed the bar.

The lecturers were of course Fred Ball and Capt. Sleman, with John Ford, Hugh Francis, Alan Frost, Malcolm Giddins and Geoff Snowden the ones I can remember.

I must admit the stay in Cardiff was enjoyable though expensive, the college had just expanded from purely presea to taking ONC etc cadets, I think our class were the last of the 36 month sea time cadets and were only at college because the government paid for it.

If any of the people mentioned above do happen to read this posting it would be a pleasure to hear from you if only to realise how old we have become

Wally H

Jacktar1
21st November 2011, 02:26
Fred Ball sadly passed away a couple of years ago. We were good friends back in the 1960's when we were both attached the HMS CAMBRIA....South Wales Divisiion RNR.

Cheers,
Glan

duquesa
21st November 2011, 09:15
Huge Francis still fit and well. Old seagoing pal of mine going back some 50 years.

Wallyh
29th November 2011, 07:46
Huge Francis still fit and well. Old seagoing pal of mine going back some 50 years.

Glad to here that was a good seamanship lecturer plus he had a whole heap of tales to tell

Wally H

duquesa
29th November 2011, 09:04
"Glad to here that was a good seamanship lecturer plus he had a whole heap of tales to tell"

I'll bet he did. Remember him breakfasting on Pernod and boiled eggs up the Amazon after a long night ashore.

He didn't show one morning after a night ashore in Martinique and we started to let go. He was 2/0, I was 3/0 and I thought I had got instant promotion. I was dispatched aft to let go. As we came off on the fore spring, a taxi hurtled round the corner on two wheels and he fell out wearing "only" a pair of corduroy trousers. We went hard a starboard and "sprang" back alongside, put the pilot ladder over and up he came looking like death. He appeared aft and said "Bugger off boyo - this my job". Wonderful times.

enzoneo
12th December 2011, 22:11
Blimey a thread about RSNC - have tried to find out what happened to the place and now I know. I was there in 1966 (CC) and the joined Ellerman Lines. Happy days.

duquesa
12th December 2011, 23:10
Hi. Slowly but surely they crawl out of the woodwork (Applause)
I was CC in '58.

enzoneo
12th December 2011, 23:18
Slowly but surely - thats how I move these days - how very apt.

duquesa
13th December 2011, 09:21
Makes two of us!

lordy
28th April 2012, 15:51
I was at RSNC from September 1964 to July 1965.
Is there any body else out there who around at that time.
They seem to have all disapeared.
Lordy

Lauder
11th May 2012, 15:54
I was at RSNC 76 - 88 for all my tickets and still keep in touch with Terry Rooney. He's 80 and still active in the NI and HCMM. Geof Snowdon, Mike Pickthorn, Hugh Francis and Ken Waters are still in the area. The original RSNC in Fairwater has gone completely and the Plymouth Arms in St.Fagans is still open. The Malsters was shut down and was up for sale. The modern marine facility in Llandaff is now part of the South Glam Uni. This will break your heart - all the old ship models were given away and are dotted around the Uni with no idea where they came from or what they were for. I don't know what became of Alf Crocker who used to teach us all the seamanship but I do remember on one of the runs to Barry Docks to take a lifeboat round to Cardiff (unsuccessfully) one of the lads streamed a sea anchor through the aft windows of the van and brought the old COMMA van to a standstill!! The old Mercantile Marine Office in Bute Place - the one with the wooden toilet seats and gas fittings - now has a preservation order on it and you may recall the crusty old gal BJ Davies that spent her life at the MMO processing all our exam papers and documents. She was given an MBE for her service before she retired. I remember once I was sent out of an orals exam to find a correct answer to an M Notice and went straight to her - she phoned the examiner and said "What the hell are you asking this boy" and gave me the answer !!

Wallyh
12th May 2012, 03:30
Glad to hear that Geoff Snowdon Mike Pickthorn and Ken Waters are still around. First met Mike when he was an examiner in Cardiff taking 2nd Mates the only man who could stutter sending morse which used to upset those from Plymouth who ended up with 100 letter blocks, he was a tough but fair examiner, was somewhat suprised when returnign for Mates in walked Mike as as our stability lecturer and bloody good he was too, gave us a mock exam the week before the real thing walked in the examination room for the real thing and the first five questions were as the week before. Geoff Snowdon on MCR in 1971 he had just arrived at Reardon Smith College as it was then from Charley Hills, Ken was our Met lecturer for Mates

TIM MALONEY
25th June 2012, 22:11
Blimey a thread about RSNC - have tried to find out what happened to the place and now I know. I was there in 1966 (CC) and the joined Ellerman Lines. Happy days.

Were you Cadet Capt?? A Lancastrian by the name of Sowerbutts??

enzoneo
26th June 2012, 09:08
Were you Cadet Capt?? A Lancastrian by the name of Sowerbutts??

The one and only. Were you a term behind?

Lauder
26th June 2012, 16:20
I was neither cadet captain nor a Lancastrian named Sowerbutts but I love the name! There were 2 battered bugles that used to hang above the reception office door in the gatehouse and I was ensconced in PORT WATCH at the end of the corridor where Freddie lived. He always referred to me as Sinclair - I don't know whether he called everyone that but he always said it to me and that was over a 12 year period!

duquesa
26th June 2012, 18:02
'Tis no wonder those bugles were battered. There were mornings when I would have loved to have rammed the damned thing right up the bugler's fundamental orifice. Having said that, in my time there, to be honest, it was played beautifully by one Clive Fronks from Cwmbran. Think he joined Graig Shipping where I'm sure there would have been no call for a bugle (Jester)

enzoneo
26th June 2012, 20:49
'Tis no wonder those bugles were battered. There were mornings when I would have loved to have rammed the damned thing right up the bugler's fundamental orifice. Having said that, in my time there, to be honest, it was played beautifully by one Clive Fronks from Cwmbran. Think he joined Graig Shipping where I'm sure there would have been no call for a bugle (Jester)

That's triggered a memory - a Ugandan guy named Kapalanga was bugler in my time - good when he got it right but a load of spittle and wind when he didn't - having said that I couldn't get the damned thing working however hard I tried.

Lauder
26th June 2012, 22:15
I don't have particularly fond memories of RSNC as it always seemed so intense - no time for relaxing study. You'll be pleased to know that the original Mercantile Marine Office in Bute Place has a preservation order slapped on it and still contains that extremely long reception counter where the formiddable BJ Davies would enrol you into the mob complete with a chart of British funnels in the background. The well worn wooden toilet seats are still there as well as the gas fittings sticking out of the exam room walls - That building now marks the entrance to the showpiece Cardiff Bay development as Tiger Bay has long vanished. The Mount Stuart pub directly opposite the MMO was bulldozed to create the entrance and the NUS building also went along with the North Star club. The Big Windsor still stands as that also has a preservation order on it and sits proudly in the middle of all this development along with the Steam Packet.

theraddersfellow
3rd July 2012, 23:26
My late father Peter (Pete) Radford was a cadet at Reardon Smith Nautical College I believe from 1956 to 1957 and he worked for the line until his tragic death in 1970.

If anyone has stories about my Dad, please let me know via private messages and I will give my e-mail. I would love to get some stories from classmates and colleagues alike to put down on paper.

Thanks

Peter (always known as Pete) Radford (we had the same middle initial but different middle names)

duquesa
4th July 2012, 12:39
Sent you a PM.

Masirah
5th July 2012, 17:44
Following a rummage through the storage boxes some clipping came to light. While the are not best quality, dating as they do to 1957 and taken from the local press where the standard of paper and resulting print was nor up to to days newspaper standards, the might nevertheless be interesting.

1, Nocturne arrives at Cardiff on Sunday 5th May on the delivery voyage from Dartmouth after a voyage of 10 days.

2, The crowd for that momentous voyage. Standing L-R Paul Wightman, Derek Roberts (hired engineer for the trip), Capt. John Ninian Rose, Fred Ball. Sitting L-R Garry Harnett, Walter Burroughs, Michael Meredith,

3, The hand over of Nocturne to RNSC. Up to this point Nocturne was owned by the Reardon Smith family. She was formally gifted to RNSC (i.e Cardiff City Council) shortly after arriving from Dartmouth. The Lord Mayor, Alderman D T Williams ( on the gangway) when aboard to accept the ship from The Readon Smith family. Capt. John is on the dock side. Its difficult to see who the Cadet at the head of the gangway is possibly Pat Simmons.

Michael Meredith

duquesa
5th July 2012, 21:47
I had an email from Walter Burroughs last year. I think he is in Oz.

Richard C
24th September 2012, 16:23
Well here`s another one out of the woodwork,although I`ve been in this particular woodwork since 2007,but this is the first time I `ve seen the RSNC thread,where has it been.
OK.Where to start---I attended college from sept`56 to july `57.
So 'Masirah' I know you---You are now my forth find from "our time" at RSNC. Have found Gary Harnett via Facebook,he lives in Tennessee,Quite extensive correspondance with Walter Burroughs who is now in Australia.He has had quite a bit of info from me about our time in Cardiff,which apparently has been printed into a Reardon Smith Line Newsletter ,sometime I think last year,(maybe year before
),time seems to go so quickly these days! Maybe a request in the Reardon Smith Forum will find a copy.
The photo with Capt Rose holding the cup,from the left, standing, are
A.Gummerson,M.T.Meredith, H.P.Simmons,R.Caunt(me),Al Badir, R.Irvine,L.K.Edwards,G.Harnett,S.Lawrence
Sitting are Saliba,?, Capt Rose, W.Burroughs, R.J.Jeffrey,P.Radford
I put this photo on Friends Reunite about ten years ago and still don`t know what the cup was for.
I have a newsletter from Capt Rose dated 4th December 1957.

Richard C
24th September 2012, 16:36
Sorry, pressed post instead of preview, add the next bit onto last post

.it`s 4 a4 pages long however and I`m not sure how to reproduce it on here
Very interesting though for those of us there about that time, if it can be done.

duquesa
24th September 2012, 18:38
Richard I have sent you an email. It would be good to see the letter if you can manage to post it.

Richard C
24th September 2012, 20:28
Will do my very best

Richard

Richard C
24th September 2012, 21:45
Oh well here goes,
Its in PDF format and unfortunately the original page size appears to be (I think)legal so I have had to split each page into two,my copier is only A4,apart from the last page which is a single.
Hopefully it will be self evident

Regards

Richard

Richard C
24th September 2012, 22:03
Last one for tonight,doing this makes you realise how old we are all getting.This photo was just after we had finished putting the damn thing up. The guy at the bottom,Saliba, was nearly killed when we were erecting it.He was on the first platform(I`ve forgotten the proper name)when a hoisting rope broke higher up and a block came down and hit him on the head.He was only saved from going over when somebody grabbed him by the scruff of the neck.
Happy days

Masirah
24th September 2012, 23:27
Hi Richard

Good to hear from you. I have just finished reading the News Letter what memories that brought back particularly having been a participant in most of the activities mentioned. Thank you for posting it. It was also good to remember the guys that 'enjoyedŽ our time there. It is sad that the place did not last and I believe there is virtually nothing to show that it was there at all theses days.

Best Regards

Michael (Masirah)

Richard C
28th September 2012, 14:14
OK---- Just a bit of humour,well it`s humurous now,but it wasn`t at the time!
The time being, November 1956,specifically Bonfire Night.We were told by the cadets who were there the term before, that they had been told by their predecessors who were there on Bonfire Night 1955,that the place had been attacked by the local Teddy Boys,throwing stones,clods of earth and generally being a pain.
Not again,"Not while we`re here" we thought.So--- After lights out, we crept out(all apart from a lad called Gummerson),(I wish I could remember his first name).After patrolling the grounds in the dark and being very quiet----Nothing!!!! and we all ended up sitting on the wall at the corner of Plasmawr and Fairwater roads with our legs dangling over the edge,after pushing our way through the thick Laurel and Privet bushes.The wall was only about two feet high on the inside but about five feet high on the outside,with a small stream running at the bottom followed by a low stone wall separating it from the pavement.Guess what? after a while some local talent walked by,whether by arrangement or accident I know not.
With a bit of chat by certain people and a lot of help they also ended up sitting on the wall.The road unfortunately, was quite well lit,so we were all in plain view,that is until the guy on the right hand end of the wall,the end nearest the college gate, suddenly hissed "Mr Keene" and dissapeared with a backward flip,closely followed by the rest of us,like a row of ducks at a fairground shooting gallery.
The rest of the sleepless night was spent wondering what was going to happen to us----
Duly, the next morning all those that had been out(apart from Gummerson--what was his name?)were summoned to Captain Roses` study.
Now having been there with my wife, just before the place was demolished, and having blagged our way in past the watchman,we had a look round and went to what had been Captain Roses` study.How small it seemed, and back in 1956 how we all fitted in I have no idea,must have been like sardines!
For the life of me I cannot remember the punishment we received(all apart from Gummerson that is---what was his name)
To this day I am convinced that the only reason we weren`t all given the push was because there were so many of us.
Oh I nearly forgot----Mr Keene had to help all the girls back down to the road on his own and that didn`t help our case at all!!

Can you remember all this Michael???

Richard C
28th September 2012, 15:05
Sorry---Further to my previous post.I should have explained, for those who joined after Christmas 1956,that Mr Keene was our Divisional officer and lived in the flat in the original dorm.block.
He left at Christmas 1956 and was replaced by Mr Sleeman

Masirah
28th September 2012, 17:41
Hi Richard,

I remember the talk about the previous fire works night but not what we did about it. Since we were all involved, except Gummerson that is, yes what was his first name? the project must have involved the cadet leadership and no doubt our plea in mitigation was that we were only protecting the RNSC interests and the only misdemeanor was being out of bed after lights out I suspect that we got extra drill for forms sake.

Rose's office was small and it must have been crowded with us all there and that in itself would have made it difficult for Rose and Keane to be serious and I do not recall there being any individual followup. I always felt that Rose was trying too hard to make us look like a military establishment which several of us felt was something of a joke. I don't suppose it did us much harm but it was nevertheless a tad silly. Too much P&O/BISNC with a dash of Warsash to thicken the mixture. As the say there's the Royal Navy, the Merchant Navy, but then there's P&O.

All said and done it was a good time.

Michael

Richard C
6th October 2012, 18:40
Just been having a rummage and found this.
My, how prices have gone up!!!!
(From Aug 1956)

duquesa
6th October 2012, 23:44
I recall my old man thinking those prices were extortionate!

Masirah
7th October 2012, 00:02
No only were the prices extortionate the whole outfit was when you consider that much of it was not used after we left. One could be forgiven if one thought that they were in league with the outfitters. Mind you some of the companies were as bad, on the Brockelbank list were three white dress uniforms which if I remember correctly in the three and a half years of my apprenticeship were worn twice, Christmas dinner on both occasions and then only for the meal.

Michael

duquesa
7th October 2012, 07:54
They taught me tie a bow tie (*))

Richard C
7th October 2012, 16:57
Still got mine(it doesn`t fit anymore----suprise suprise)

Masirah
17th October 2012, 17:09
Yes what was the point of all that. After RSNC I wore a bow tie once, Presidents night at Rotary. Never at sea.

enzoneo
18th October 2012, 00:09
I seem to recall wearing "ice cream" suit and/or "penguin gear" (with the requisite bow tie) when it was a 3 line whip to attend dances in the passengers lounge on City of Exeter so its a good job I managed to just about remember how to tie the thing.

Rod F
21st October 2012, 16:39
I too studied at the Llandaff College for my 2nd's and Chiefs from '66 to 70. Wonderful cloistered hallways where we had tea out of an urn the size of a Cochran boiler. Took tech drawing in that dingy room that had French doors that opened onto the balcony where we could take a break and sit watching the summer rains pour down on the lush grass - and of course swap stories about Blue Flu' tiny cabins, Bank boats with odd wood grain upperworks and even Palm line reputed to be owned by three sisters !

Richard C
13th December 2012, 15:10
OK, Who remembers where they slept,perhaps the attached will help.
I can`t remember---seem to think it was towards the far end on the right, on the bottom bunk.
I know that I can remember polishing the wooden floor with that damn great heavy metal thing which I seem to think we called a 'Bumper'.All I do know that is if we had let go of it and anybody was in the way it would have taken their legs off.

michael wilson
5th March 2013, 13:02
Hello Pete,
If you receive this then I new your Father as I was at RSNC at the same time as your Dad and also for 2nd Mate in Cardiff. My e-mail address is
mickeyowilson@gmail.com
If you like to send me your e-mail i can give you some funny moments in Cardiff. I also know William (Bill) Burns.
Mike Wilson.

michael wilson
5th March 2013, 13:23
Hi Richard Caunt,
I joined RSNC April 1957 and left April 1978. Most of the names you mention I recall. The Margarita was overhauled during the winter 1957 and I with Ted Sleeman renewed all the standing rigging, what a job to splice eyes with 6-7 plough steel. I was at the time JLC boats and my last term SLC Starboard Watch.
Yes I had a great time and also all my sea service which only ended 2 years ago when part time with Westminster Dreadging.
Mike Wilson.

michael wilson
5th March 2013, 13:49
Peter Anderton,
I was at RSNC 1957/58 and you mentioned Bob Palmer. We both did our Cadet Training with South American Saintline and up for our 2nd Mates in Cardiff 1962, we lost contact. I would like to get in touch.
Mike Wilson.

duquesa
5th March 2013, 21:35
Good to see you on here at last Mike. Bill.

Achatina
19th July 2013, 08:08
Just discovered this forum I was at Reardon Smith college as an Engineer cadet 1976 - 1978. I have been trying to contact some of the other cadets I was there with but no luck. If anyone out was at the college at the same time I remember -

Patrick Field - RFA
George Amblin - RFA
Chris Slack - Shell
Ian Bendall - Shell
Chris Walker - Shell
Robert George - RFA

My name is Ken Edwards I was also with Shell would love to hear from anyone at the college around this time.

paul clements
18th August 2013, 23:11
Just discovered this site and forum. I was a CC in 1964. Photo of Margherita in Lancastrian's post (No 23, November 2009) was taken as she finished as the winner of the '64 Bristol Channel Race (Barry-Lundy-Helwick Lightship-Barry). Crew was: Officers - Capt Rose, Solesbury, Ford, Sleeman & Ball. Cadets - Woodard, Hughes, Drew, Downs, Hall, Mather, Bird, Woodward, Coombs and myself.

rickalty
23rd November 2014, 10:48
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was at RSNC from '74 to '78. I went to sea with Athel Line, which morphed into Anco Tankers, then Panocean-Anco.

I live outside San Francisco now, working as a surveyor.

Richard Alty