Oregon Steamships

Steve Woodward
4th September 2006, 16:25
I am trying to contact anyone who worked for or has memories of Oregon steamships and their three ships, Londoner, Lutetian and lawrentian
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)

Hugh MacLean
4th September 2006, 16:59
Welcome aboard, Steve. I hope you enjoy the site.
I am sure there will be answers forthcoming.
Rgds

gdynia
4th September 2006, 17:00
Welcome Onboard to SN and enjoy your time on site. If you search on site for Lutetian you will find a thread I already started.

non descript
4th September 2006, 17:10
A warm welcome to you Steve, this was (I believe) part of Continental Grain and one of our Members who presently works for a major London Broker which took on some of their office staff, may well be able to answer your question - once he sees your post, he may be able to guide you further. In the meantime enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon Voyage

danube4
4th September 2006, 18:43
Steve,
Try: www.allatsea.cx/xtras/pdf/Londoner%20Floats%20on%20Whisky.pdf
Barney.

Steve Woodward
5th September 2006, 21:30
Many thanks to you all, yes Oregon was part of Continental Grain, a fact I had forgotten - its amazing what 26 years does to the memory.
It will be wonderful if I can contact some of the faces from the past, I had many happy years with Oregon, so far I have contacted the apprentice that I set out with to joine our first ship - the Lutetian - we flew from London to Nagoya via Anchorage to Tokyo, ending the journey on the Bullet Train.
It was an amazing journey for two 17 year olds from yorkshire, the best bit was whilst waiting for the bullet train to arrive at Tokyo a local train pulled in and a rather innebriated 4th engineer from Hull got on that - we never saw him for two days!!

Rgds
Steve W

capital3
22nd November 2006, 16:10
Hi!

I served on the Londoner from 1961 to 1966. She was American Owned but managed by Oregon Steam Ship Company in London. The Engineering Supervisor was a Mr Gordon of the Gordon Gin Family. The Skipper was a Captain Peaz, the Chief Engineer was Bill Finch. She was Sulzer powered. I was 3rd Engineer at the time.

When you search on Mv Londoner it shots up a Ship I have never ever seen. The one on this site with the O on the funnel is the correct one. The Funnel was green and black. There was also an O on the Bow. They identify it as a "Tanker" but all the years I worked on her we only carried Grain. All the Senior Officers were the same for the whole length of my service she such a happy ship. I know they brough out a new ship after I finished, I do not know what that was called but I do know, that the 2nd Mate of the Londoner, took over the new Ship as Skipper. He was estonian. I know this because I met him some time after I left and he told me the Company were always asking about me and why do I not come back even if it only on a relieving basis. I hope this bit of tittle tattle is usefull to you.

William R Wheeler

R58484956
22nd November 2006, 18:03
Welcome Steve to SN enjoy the site like we do.

awateah2
22nd November 2006, 19:42
If you go into the gallery and look at the photo of the 'Sir Andrew Duncan' There is a ship in the background that looks remarkably like the 'Londoner'

capital3
8th March 2007, 13:55
I served on the Londoner from 1961 to 1965 in the ranks of Junior Engineer and finished as Third Engineer. The Chief Engineer during that time was Bill Finch the 2nd, Engineer was Freddie Miller (whose father was killed in the Seaham Harbour Lifeboat tradegy. He was the Coxwain) The Master was Captain Peaze, Chief Officer Ernie Walters. She was Sulzer powered. The Offices of the Company were in Creechurch Lane, London. The Engineering Superintendant was a Mr Gordon (of the Gordon Gin Family). During the crossing from Otaru in Japan to Vancouver in 1965, we were caught in a Typhoon and when we arrived in Liverpool, television etc, were there calling the "Londoner" The Ship with the Concrete side. I have contacted one of the Cadets who served with me.

William Ray Wheeler

graykay2601
9th June 2007, 15:54
I am trying to contact anyone who worked for or has memories of Oregon steamships and their three ships, Londoner, Lutetian and lawrentian
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)

Hi Steve, I was ships cook on the Londoner in the mid 70's and she was a coastal bulk carrier then and I was told the vessel had once been sunk then refloated and refurbished.
We spent a lot of time at Lieth unloading Grain and most of the crew where Scots and went home at Leith leaving myself and the steward and 1 engineer on board.
I later joined the Lutetian unloading sugar from Maritius at Liverpool(my home town) and sailed to Rouen for a cargo of flour for Libya. We went to Rotterdam first and i asked to be paid off as the galley was filthy and full off vermin.
I believe she was anchored off Libya for 4 months after that so I had a lucky escape I think.
I never heard or saw anything of Oregen SS Co after that and i have checked out the picture of the Londoner in the background of another ship picture and it is not the Londoner I sailed on, Take care.graykay

tanker
9th June 2007, 20:07
Here for you the LONDONER on sea trials.
Gp

graykay2601
9th June 2007, 23:00
Thanks for the picture of the Londoner but its not the ship I sailed on. The Londoner I know of was a coaster(middle trade) graykay

Steve Woodward
12th June 2007, 13:09
Only just found this thread again,

Graykay, remember you but not your name, my wife and I rejoined the Lutetian in Liverpool arround the same time as yourselves, Oregon were nearing the end then and the old girl was not her best.
The londoner you sailed on was the coaster, the Londer in the attached picture is the first Londoner she was sold in the early '70's, I will email you with a pic of your ship.
You did indeed have a lucky escape, we did indeed spend nearly four months at anchor off Libya, a large number of ships had been chartered to load flour and cooking oil - so many that Libyan ports were clogged with the stuff.
Not a good ending to my time with Oregon, at the end of that trip I left to join Mobil.

William Weeler,
Thanks for your posting,
The Londoner you sailed on was the first one - a medium sized midship accomodation cargo ship.
Bill Finch became Eng Super and as the company declined took a lot of stick which he did not deserve as he was only trying to keep things going with limited funds.
Captain Pease retired whilst I was with Oregon but we never sailed together, his son david was mate on the Lutetian and something of a bully to the apprentices, he once hit me and the Estonian AB Skibutz ( cant rember his first name)who saw it threatened to fill him if he did it again, the mate is not endeared in my memory and thankfully I only sailed with him once and he did not spoil things for me.
Ernie Walters - he became a popular and respected master, a West Countryman if I remeber correctly, rather short and had to stand on a box to see in the daylight viewing hood of the radar.
The Estonian Second Mate you mention would be Tom Keiver, real nice guy and another person who threatened David Pease with a touch of his own medicine if he did'nt leave the 'prentices alone. He was old man on the Lutetian arround 1972-3, sadly I do not know what happened top Tom.
Oregon remained in Creechurch Lane - I have vague recollections of an old fashioned office when I went for my interview before being indentured.

capital3
20th June 2007, 15:03
Steve, were you one of the two Cadets that I sailed with on the Londoner, I have contacted one of those Cadets who was from Beverley near Hull. I was always known by the name of Ray as my full name is William Raymond Wheeler, but my Dad was a William also, so everyone knew me as Ray. Tom Kiever married a Girl from Splott in Cardiff. I used to see him at one time, but the whole of Splott has been redeveloped, so he coud be anywhere. I will have to check the phone book. When we went one time into the Black Sea to Russia, we had to drop Tom off at Istanbul as he could not go to Russia. He was trying desperately to get his Mother out of Estonia, but whether he suceeded I know not. I knew Tom's wife before he did, as I was brought up in Splott. I am 74 years old now and I still miss the Sea.

Ray Wheeler

capital3
20th June 2007, 15:05
Steve! Did you ever know a Mr Hanks from the Main Office in Creechurch Lane?

Ray

Steve Woodward
27th June 2007, 20:44
Hi ray,
Nope never sailed on the old Londoner, one of the Hull cadets on her was Malcom Page, nice lad, packed it in and joined the Police. - look him up in life on board.
remember Tom mentioning Splott.
I cannot recall a Mr Hanks, but I can remeber Ken hairs interviewing me for the job as brass polisher's apprentice
Rgds
Steve W

trotterdotpom
28th June 2007, 05:17
I knew a lad in Hull who was a deck apprentice with Oregon for a while in about 1970. He left and became an RO for some reason. His name was Tomlinson, possibly John. Last I heard of him he was running a private crewing agency in the days when there was money in that in the UK.

John T.

anthony lear
1st July 2007, 17:52
Steve here's another photo of her
tony lear

Steve Woodward
2nd July 2007, 09:45
Thanks Tony,
Hoiw did you come by the photo - do you have links with Oregon?
Steve

anthony lear
2nd July 2007, 09:55
Steve,
I never sailed on her or anything, I just collect photos of old merchant ships, mainly from around the time I went to sea; late 50s-60s
The photo came-I think-from the Riversea site (memories section) sometime ago. Doubtless George will give you more info if you email him

Geoff of Hull
13th November 2007, 21:11
I remember years ago lots of Hull pool guys sailed on the Londoner and she had glowing reports..
Seems strange that people mentioned as cadets were from Hull too some connection maybe?
I remember John Tomlinson I think it was John very quiet lad was at Sparkie school with me in 1969...........Geoff

Steve Woodward
13th November 2007, 23:53
Hi Geoff,
Never sailed on the Londoner, but the fleet got most of their crews from the Tyne as that was were they usually dry-docked, I believe there some sort of link between Continental Grain and Middle-docks, most of those crews were regulars with Oregon
For some reason most of Oregons Cadets came from Hull Trinity House Navigation School.
Rgds
Steve

Orbitaman
14th November 2007, 08:22
When I was a cadet at Hull college in the 1970's we had a guy on our course from Oregon, called Steve? Wells. When Oregon folded, he was transferred inot Bank LIne to complete his cadetship. He did me the favour of turning up at Posterngate while i was doing my 2nd Mates orals to tell Captain Diston that he wasn't going to do his orals. I finally emerged from Captain Distons office three hours later, having gone through the syllabus from beginning to end with a very grumpy examiner! By the way, I did pass.

Geoff of Hull
15th November 2007, 05:23
Very true Steve jogs my memory now as being a Hull Trinity House ex myself that's another reason I recollect the Londoner and Oregan company.
Also Shields pool was a secondary pool for Hull if no jobs were about from Hull we used to get seconded to Shields,Tilbury or even Avonmouth at times..did not get a "T" shirt either!only good banter..Wells that is another name that has me thinking there was one in the class above me,will investigate that one..Cheers Steve

Burned Toast
15th November 2007, 12:47
Hi Steve
I joined the Lutetian in M'Boro in 73 Ch.Stwd I think you were still a deck cadet shortly promoted to 3/M. Ernie Walters - Peter McGovern -Antoinne Bamber Master and Mates. Ernie Chapman Bosun Gunnar Skibusts Ab and so forth. Had a great time with that company 73 till 77 when it ceased trading except for the coaster (Londoner) remember you and your wife Jane.

Regards Ray

Riptide
15th November 2007, 21:57
Hello Steve,
I was on the Lawrentian in 1974 when she ran aground in the Baltic,we ended up in dry dock at Swan Hunters on the Tyne.At the end of dry dock I was transfered to the Lutetian as 4th eng.then promoted to 3rd eng. A lot of the
names escape me,Captain McGovern,Sid Gibs 2nd eng,and of course your self
Steve Woodword 3rd.Officer I believe.We put a hold fire out together in Durben S.Africa. As I remember you Liked loud music in those days.
All the Best Kenny.

Steve Woodward
16th November 2007, 02:27
Hi Kenny

Is this YOU (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=44204) taken during one of the parties in my cabin.
Forgotten about the fire in Durban, bad night that, think I still have a picture or two of it somewhere.
There are qite a few pics of the lads on the Lutetian in the mebers faces - just search Lutetian
Steve

Riptide
16th November 2007, 19:35
Hi Steve.
Thats me, dont recall the other chap though.I do remember Mr.A.Bamber 2nd mate.
kenny.

Steve Woodward
16th November 2007, 20:37
Hi Kenny - glad I got the name correct - some of the grey cells still work!
Thats Ray McCeery the Ch Stwd, and that is probably Sue Norman, Dave Norman the second mates missus sat next to you.
Ray has come up with some names higher up the thread.
Steve

Burned Toast
17th November 2007, 10:10
Hi Steve - a few more names from the past, from the Lutetian Capts Ern & Edna. A.Leyland.R.Mudd. cannot remember the one that did the voyage to the gulf then on to Borneo think he was a Thames Pilot. Also a Capt Richardson. C/Os P.McGovern. S.Al Rudaini. M.McCourt. M.Fish. C/E D.Hughes. R.Black. D.Fourkes. Bill Templeman was the 2nd Stwd. Alex Fingers Burnett D/M. and a chap that had salad cream with his kippers for b'fast.

Ray

Steve Woodward
17th November 2007, 17:47
Good stuff Ray, the pilot employed for the single trip was Frank Richardson, he was post Ernoe and pre Richard T Mudd. ( He and Mike Courts were ex court line I think).
Remeber c/o Mike Fish - believe he was ex Harmattan, seemed to drink like a fish as well.
Dont rember the kippers and saland cream guy - not one of your specials was it!
Steve

Burned Toast
17th November 2007, 18:20
Hi Steve

Richard T Mudd and M Court ex Watts Watts. Mike Fish ex RN Fgn Masters certificate of service. one trip.Arthur Leyland got rid of him and he seemed to appear 6 months later when Ernie was skipper chased away. Kenny will tell you who liked salad cream on his kippers yuk. Kromeskies and chillie sauce love them Ray

Riptide
17th November 2007, 22:30
Hi Steve,
Didnt recognize Ray on the first photo(he looked well -issed)new it was Sue
though and Ray on other photos.By the way thanks for the help & memories.
All the best Ken.

Manwithplan
11th March 2008, 00:16
Hi Steve, Dont Know if you remember me, I was at Trinity House with you and joind the Oregon a year or two later. Sailed on the Lawrentian for years until she was sold. Left her in Japan in 75/76. Also did a couple of trips on the Lutetian with Sam Rudaini, Ertnie Walters and a couple of the other die hards. Hope you are well.
Ian Bahn

Manwithplan
11th March 2008, 01:07
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)

Hi Steve,

Here is a pic of the LAWRENTIAN. Taken in the early 70's. Probably 71/72, Topping off with grain prior to sailing for Rotterdam from Canada.

Steve Woodward
11th March 2008, 09:53
Ian Good shot of her,
yes I can just remember you from that far back, I left THNS the year after you and joined the Lutetian with John Lavarack another THNS cadet.
Never sailed on the Lawrentian but visited her a couple of times in Liverpool, Larry Shipman was the mate, cant remeber who else was on at that time, John did a couple of trips on the Lawretian, met him for coffee a few months ago, funny I dont remember two old fat guys joining a cargo ship in 1970!
It was quite a coincidence in Liverpool as all three ships were in port together, Lutetian, Lawrentian and the Londoner ( second one).
Steve

dom
11th March 2008, 10:14
'scuse me butting in,read the post with Capt.Mudd from Watts Watts is he the same Capt from the Windsor,not a happy trip that trip

Steve Woodward
11th March 2008, 10:20
Dom,
Sounds likely - full name Richard T Mudd, he was a large square set man, usually sailed with a mate called Mike Court when working for Oregon
Steve

Manwithplan
26th March 2008, 18:11
Steve,

Pic I have of LUTETIAN.

Ian Bahn

Steve Woodward
26th March 2008, 20:29
Hi Ian,
I have a copy of that shot- i think it's a sky-fotos shot, we had just left the Tyne post drydock and had loaded steel products for venezuela - Porto Cabello - an excellent trip 1972 ish - Did you manage to contact John L
Steve

andaire
3rd June 2008, 17:22
Sent you a quick e-mail to your private address, hope you receiive it okay.

Keith Dodds - Ex Oregon way back when !

mairtin
28th August 2008, 21:14
Hi Steve, Barney et al.
I joined the Lutetian in Liverpool Nov '73 as cadet. Sam was the Mate, Antoine 2nd mate and Ernie was skipper. Can't remember what I was called then, probably 'Paddy'. I remember Steve's wife sewing stars on the red duster going into Auckland once as we didn't have courtesy flag on board. (I think the stars blew off at some stage, but what the hell!)
Barney, I still owe you a pint for bailing me out in Hull all those years ago! Great to browse this thread and see the names again, a real blast from the past. Hope ye are all well and prospering.

Steve Woodward
28th August 2008, 21:43
Mairtin,
Hi nice to here from you, I'd forgotten about my wife sewing that flag, slight mess up in the supply flag, wed got on Oz flag, not sure if anyone would have noticed !!!
Steve

Burned Toast
28th August 2008, 22:00
Hi Mairtin are you the Deck cadet that was on the Lutetian when I had my wife and boys on? Ray ex Ch.Stwd

Barny I think I sailed on the Lawrentian when you were 3rd/Mate and you had your wife for the voyage. Constanza then Canada for Birkenhead with grain. Skipper a South African I think he had his wife for the voyage as well.

mairtin
29th August 2008, 09:18
Hi Guys! Yes I was deck cadet then. Joined Liverpool Tate and Lyle berth. We had to wait two weeks then for discharge, times have certainly changed!
We headed for London then Bremen, Aquaba, Seychelles, East Africa coast, Mauritius for sugar and back to Liverpool. What a trip for a cherry boy! I did another stint on Lutetian then, down to New Zealand for partying and flew home from there for nautical college. I had a trip on Lawerentian after that and she ended up being sold in China. I was moved to Buries Markes.
Andy Dawson was cadet with me in those days; He's an estate agent in Manchester now. Haven't meet up with him for years now. John Mellish was cadet at same time, last I heard he was working with Motorola in France. Do you guys remember a party in Opua (North Island, NZ) with all those farmer-stevedores? I think I was the only one left on board that night. Many bad heads in the morning.
Hope you are both keeping well. I'm living in Co. Kerry now, working with computers during the winter and driving a passenger ferry during the summer. Nice arrangement and far from the madding crowd.

Take care,

Steve Woodward
29th August 2008, 20:35
Mairtin,
Remember the party in Opua well, it was the chartiy ball for the local fire brigade ( Russel town) if I remember correctly. We had one hell of a night, there was a late night / early morning ferry put on to get us back, all went well except the ferry driver had been at the same party we had!
After leaving us he took the ferry back but forgot to put the ignition keys in their 'usual' spot so no ferry in the morning and a very late start to cargo work as no dockers. If you look in the gallery there is a picture of the Lutetian at Opua, it was taken by one of the AB's who was a keen photographer and developed them on board, he gave a copy to most if not all on board. A really great guy, sadly I cannot remember his name.
Steve

dougtheeng
10th February 2009, 16:20
Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread (inactive since...August 2008) but I wanted to join just to throw in a bit of information.

Some of the posts were talking about a Captain Pease of the Londoner and then his son David Pease. Unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am), Captain Pease in question is my Grandpa and David Pease is my father.

I don't really have much about the ships to contribute (unfortunately I'm too young to have been involved with them), but I wanted to say that I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading the stories regarding the ships (and people) with whom my family was involved. Any additional photos of the ship or crew would be much appreciated.

Steve Woodward
10th February 2009, 21:04
Doug,
Welcome to the site, cant be many D Pease's on the crew lists in Oregon
Steve

capital3
8th March 2009, 22:13
Yes Steve I remember Ken Hairs. We had docked in Rotterdam and I came home for a few days via the Hook and Kingscross, Anyway on my way back to Kingscross the Tube I was on broke down and was stuck in the tunnel. On eventually arriving in Kingscross the Boat Train had gone. I telephoned the Office and they rushed me in a Taxi, with the Ships Papers to Heathrow to catch a Flight, but I could not fly to Rotterdam I had to go to Antwerp. I then had the problem of getting from Antwerp to Rotterdam, in time for the Ship sailing. So I went to the Police and explained I was carrying very important Ships Papers. They took me in a Police Car all the way to Rotterdam and I managed to get on board in time to sail.

Take care

Ray

Jess1485
23rd September 2009, 13:23
Hello everyone

I hope this thread is still active, too. My father was John Marquis and worked for Oregon and managed the Londoner. I have happy memories of him downstairs shouting into the radio, "Hello Londoner, Hello Londoner". The names which are mentioned in the thread (Captain Mudd, etc) are familiar to me. Does anyone remember my father?

Jess

Burned Toast
23rd September 2009, 19:39
(Thumb) Hi Jess

I remember your dad from when I joined the Lutetian in 73, Ken Hairs - David Duddy also from Oregon. I have a photo of the 2nd/Engr wedding reception on the Lutetian in 75? with your dad included in the photo. smashing fella.

Regards

Ray

Jess1485
24th September 2009, 13:49
Hi Ray

It really is wonderful that you remember my dad. I remember Dave Duddy too. He was a good friend of my dad's and he came to our house several times. Amongst dad's things, there was also a little container with almonds in it, and also a card saying it was from Captain Mudd.

I think I still have a picture of the Londoner, which he always had on his desk or on the wall.

I'd love to see your photograph, if that is possible.

Regards

Jess

kencrag
31st October 2010, 16:05
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)

Hi Steve
I sailed on the Lutetian on her maiden voyage from Sunderland to Houston.
Ken Davies

dave hind
25th February 2011, 18:57
I was third deck officer on the Londoner Capt E pearce and mate was Ernie Walters round about 1962

dave hind
28th February 2011, 20:45
I joined the Londoner in March 1962 in Hull as 3rdMate I am from Hull and there were a lot of crew members from Hull on that voyage the 2"nd mate was Derek Nesbitt a geordie living in Hull . Master was A Pease mate was Ernie Walters. I stayed with her on various voyages until March 1963.I enjoyed my time on this ship relaxed but efffecient running . I remember two cadets were from Hull think one was called Snowden

Kevin O'Rourke
22nd January 2012, 18:25
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)

I sailed on the Londoner from Birkenhead in March 1965. the first trip (I believe) after they repaired her after having the cement box on her side I sailed as a junior engineer.

Kevin O'Rourke
23rd January 2012, 14:35
Hi!

I served on the Londoner from 1961 to 1966. She was American Owned but managed by Oregon Steam Ship Company in London. The Engineering Supervisor was a Mr Gordon of the Gordon Gin Family. The Skipper was a Captain Peaz, the Chief Engineer was Bill Finch. She was Sulzer powered. I was 3rd Engineer at the time.

When you search on Mv Londoner it shots up a Ship I have never ever seen. The one on this site with the O on the funnel is the correct one. The Funnel was green and black. There was also an O on the Bow. They identify it as a "Tanker" but all the years I worked on her we only carried Grain. All the Senior Officers were the same for the whole length of my service she such a happy ship. I know they brough out a new ship after I finished, I do not know what that was called but I do know, that the 2nd Mate of the Londoner, took over the new Ship as Skipper. He was estonian. I know this because I met him some time after I left and he told me the Company were always asking about me and why do I not come back even if it only on a relieving basis. I hope this bit of tittle tattle is usefull to you.

William R Wheeler

I should know you as I sailed from Birkenhead on the Londoner in March 1965 after she had been repaired. I don't believe you were on that trip as there were only two juniors, myself and Billy Aitken from Cardiff. i was on the seconds watch for most of the time. he was a decent chap but the chief was a bully and at the end of the voyage asked me to come back as 4th engineer but I told him what he could do with his promotion in no uncertain terms the two words ended with off. We left Bikenhead in a hurry to catch a charter and I think that is the reason we seemed to be short of food the meals were miniscule I complained to the chief steward and he had the cheek to quote board of trade rations to me (what century was he in).
I then complained to the chief and his reply was that it was enough for him. This was awful as he was overweight and on a diet. I had never known achief that ignored a complaint from his staff before, that was disgusting both myself and others were permanently hungry and when we were docked we were eating ashore however the cooking was good.
I was probably on a bad trip as your experience was obviously much different I would be interested to hear from you Regards.
Kevin.

andrew guthrie
25th January 2012, 16:03
i sailed onboard the Londoner from january 68 to august 68 as 3rd officer, a very bad feeder, Captain EA Walters Master, David Pease Mate, John macarthy 2nd mate.liverpool crew most jailed in Vancouver for stealing cargo we were on a K line Charter and cargo consisted of electronic items Nuff said.
Regards Andrew Guthrie.

Kevin O'Rourke
25th January 2012, 17:36
Nice to find someone on the same wavelength. We had a lot of problems with crew on my trip also. I admired the captain very much I over heard him logging some of the crew because he was shouting at the time he was very courageous I can't remember names it may have been Walters, he was a small man. Could that have been him?
I would like to contact you directly as I am trying to write about some of these experiences (My own and others) Can you suggest a way.

briangdav
8th March 2012, 15:36
Only just found this thread again,

Graykay, remember you but not your name, my wife and I rejoined the Lutetian in Liverpool arround the same time as yourselves, Oregon were nearing the end then and the old girl was not her best.
The londoner you sailed on was the coaster, the Londer in the attached picture is the first Londoner she was sold in the early '70's, I will email you with a pic of your ship.
You did indeed have a lucky escape, we did indeed spend nearly four months at anchor off Libya, a large number of ships had been chartered to load flour and cooking oil - so many that Libyan ports were clogged with the stuff.
Not a good ending to my time with Oregon, at the end of that trip I left to join Mobil.

William Weeler,
Thanks for your posting,
The Londoner you sailed on was the first one - a medium sized midship accomodation cargo ship.
Bill Finch became Eng Super and as the company declined took a lot of stick which he did not deserve as he was only trying to keep things going with limited funds.
Captain Pease retired whilst I was with Oregon but we never sailed together, his son david was mate on the Lutetian and something of a bully to the apprentices, he once hit me and the Estonian AB Skibutz ( cant rember his first name)who saw it threatened to fill him if he did it again, the mate is not endeared in my memory and thankfully I only sailed with him once and he did not spoil things for me.
Ernie Walters - he became a popular and respected master, a West Countryman if I remeber correctly, rather short and had to stand on a box to see in the daylight viewing hood of the radar.
The Estonian Second Mate you mention would be Tom Keiver, real nice guy and another person who threatened David Pease with a touch of his own medicine if he did'nt leave the 'prentices alone. He was old man on the Lutetian arround 1972-3, sadly I do not know what happened top Tom.
Oregon remained in Creechurch Lane - I have vague recollections of an old fashioned office when I went for my interview before being indentured.

I was the Radio Officer on the Londoner from April 67 to December 67.
The crew list was:-
Captain Walters, C/O Kiever them Pease, 2/O Pease then Dawson, 3/O Peck, App East, C/E Stevenson, 2/E Griffiths, 3/E Pettit then Whalley, 4/E Davies, J/E's McMaster, Anderson, Newcombe & John, C/Stwd Sullivan, R/O Gwyn-Davies.

Hope this jogs the memory!

John.Mellish
16th March 2012, 22:06
Hi Steve,

I joined Oregon in summer 1975, and joined the Lawrentian in Montreal October '75 as a deck cadet.
Long 10 month trip, srudies in Hull with Mairtin McOiste and Andy Dawson - then off again on the Lutetian..

bobthethird
2nd August 2012, 20:02
Hi everyone, I did two stints with Oregon, first with the Lutetian as 4/E I can't remember any names except for the 2/O Larry Shipman. We had a Pakistani 3/E a brummie electrician, and mechanics . As I remember a good trip.
My next trip was early seventies on the Lawrentian this time Larry Shipman was the Captain. Joined her on the Tyne and finally paid off in Gdynia. Two months later I was with Trinder Anderson and met a couple of good lads who were greasers on the Lawrentian, they told me she had gone aground in the Baltic.
Sorry my memory isn't any better all my records got lost during a house move some years ago.

Joe w
6th August 2012, 08:59
Yes remeber the vessel's as two of the cadets who were serving their time were on them One was John Taylor and the other Ian Bahn both ex. Trinity House lads.
Remember it being a smallist outfit.
Still in touch with Ian.

trotterdotpom
6th August 2012, 11:30
Joe, I knew John Taylor and his brother at Hull Tech. They both became ROs. Ended up running a Freelance Ship Manning Company.

John T

Joe w
6th August 2012, 15:57
Joe, I knew John Taylor and his brother at Hull Tech. They both became ROs. Ended up running a Freelance Ship Manning Company.

John T

Hi
Not the same John Taylor I am afaid John is Master on supply vessels last heard of with Tosia in Brazil. Believe he lives in Withernsea near Hull on the coast.
They were a few John Taylor's from Hull I sailed with one in UTC but he went out to Aussie in the 70's

trotterdotpom
6th August 2012, 17:37
Thanks Joe. By coincidence, one of the Taylors I knew was a deck cadet with Oregon.

John T

Manwithplan
15th August 2012, 13:21
Dear All, its a long time since I have been on here. Thanks to SW starting the thread I can now delve in to my memory and remember some of the guys I sailed with in Oregon. Also, Joe Woodall for reminding me about the site. John Taylor, Martin Hostie (you naughty, naughty boy), Sam Rudaini, Tony Bamber, John Laverick, Pete McGovern (A gent), Capt. Pease, Ernie walters, Larry Shipman (God Rest His Soul), Jim Westerman, Richard Ascough, etc, etc, etc. All a great bunch of lads and I have many great memories.
The Lawrentian, or the 'Big L' as she was known to some was one hell of a work horse. Whoever thought of stowing derricks like that needed to be shot!
I was one of the unfortunate ones (or fortunate whichever way you look at it) to be on the Bauxite Charter in Guyana and the Carib. Some stories could be told about that charter.
Anyway guys, good to hear from you all, keep it up.
Ian (Barney) Bahn

Burned Toast
15th August 2012, 15:35
I think I was on the Lawrention with you Ian and your wife when we went to Constanza, then we called into Sicily to let my missus and my two boys off so they could get home before school started. The late Larry Shipman was mate and we had a SA master (McCormack)
Sam Al Rudainni he joined Tradax when Oregon sold the Lutetian, Peter McGovern now retired in Tasmania and runs a olive oil farm.
I met John Taylor in Gt Yarmouth when I worked for Toisa gave him a new Oregon House Flag surprised what ends up in your baggage when they sell the last ship.

Ray(Thumb)

Manwithplan
3rd September 2012, 13:14
Hi Ray, I do remember you. One thing i havent lost much of is my memory. Mind you, some of the memories of Oregon are emblazoned on my brain. It was a long time to spend on one ship. I have spoken to a few of the 'Old Boys' over the years.I'm still in the biz, sort of' as a surveyor and the world is getting smaller so its easy to bump in to people you knoew or get back in touch through freinds. John Laverick, Sam Rudaini and a couple of others. Hope you and yours are all well. Barney

robert thompson gss 1967
28th October 2012, 16:36
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)

HI STEVE, I JOINED THE LUTETIAN IN 1968.. SAILED ON HER FOR 14 MONTHS. JOS THEN SOS. K LINE CHARTERED US, WE WERE PAID OFF IN PORT OF SPAIN. SOME TRIP BEST. WISHES BOB

Riptide
15th April 2013, 19:51
Hi everyone, I did two stints with Oregon, first with the Lutetian as 4/E I can't remember any names except for the 2/O Larry Shipman. We had a Pakistani 3/E a brummie electrician, and mechanics . As I remember a good trip.
My next trip was early seventies on the Lawrentian this time Larry Shipman was the Captain. Joined her on the Tyne and finally paid off in Gdynia. Two months later I was with Trinder Anderson and met a couple of good lads who were greasers on the Lawrentian, they told me she had gone aground in the Baltic.
Sorry my memory isn't any better all my records got lost during a house move some years ago.

I was on watch at 4am when the Lawrentian run aground.We were on the rocks 2-3 days then towed off by tugs.I had only been on her about a week after being ashore for 10yrs.A good start too a new start at sea.Ended up as 3rd eng. on the Lutetian.Great times.Kenny.

capital3
15th September 2013, 23:13
Hi Steve. It has been some time since we last spoke. Yes I remember Ken Hairs. We had arrived in Rotterdam and I came home for a few days via The Hook of Holland. On the wat back The Tube I was on going to Kings Cross broke down and I was stuck for nearly 2 hours. When I got to Kings Cross the Boat Train had left, so Taxi to Creechurch Lane saw Ken Hairs took me to KLM and booked my Flight to Amsterdam from Heathrow. Arrived in Amsterdam but had to find a way to Rotterdam. As I had important Manifest Papers on me, I enlisted the help of the Police who took me in a Police Car with Flashing Lights to Rotterdam. But as the LOndoner was moored out at boys I had to wake up a Boatman to take me out to her. Bill Finch actually paid the Boatmen for me. As it was getting on for 22.00 and we were due to sail, as 3rd Engineer I had to do the Stanby watch on the 8 to 12 covering the 4th. I had been travelling all day and was knak*** and I still had to do me own Watch till 04.00.
But! I would do it all again if I could. I am 80 years old now and not in good health, but still miss the Sea.

Best of health to you

Ray

capital3
18th September 2013, 22:23
Hi Kevin!

When you joined the Londoner in Birkenhead in 1965 I had taken leave as we had just come back after Six and a Half Month trip to Japan where the Concrete Box was fitted. We were 19 days in Otaru over the Xmas. I have photos somewhere of Japanese Women mixing the Cement. The Weather was terrible. I suppose you must speak as you find, but Bill Finch and I were quite good friends. Billy Aitken I knew from Cardiff, how he became an Engineer I knoiw not, as he and his Family were Car Dealers. I used to be friendly with his brother Malcolm. When I took leave Freddie Miller was 2nd Engineer a nice lad from Seaham Harbor. Skipper was Capt Peaz Chief Officer Ernie Walters, 2nd Mate Toomas (Tom) Kiever. I took 3 months leave to sit my 2nds Ticket.and passed. I only did 3 more voyages on the Londoner into 1966 and the left to becoime a Chief Engineer of a Dredging Company.

Best Wishes Ray

capital3
8th January 2014, 17:02
I joined the Londoner in March 1962 in Hull as 3rdMate I am from Hull and there were a lot of crew members from Hull on that voyage the 2"nd mate was Derek Nesbitt a geordie living in Hull . Master was A Pease mate was Ernie Walters. I stayed with her on various voyages until March 1963.I enjoyed my time on this ship relaxed but efffecient running . I remember two cadets were from Hull think one was called Snowden

That would be Dave Snowden who lives in Cottingham near Beverley. I am in contact with Dave as we sailed on the Londoner together until I left her at Birkenhead in March 1965. You and I must have sailed together as I joined her at Avonmouth in August 1962. The 2nd Mate was Toomas Keiver (Tom) an Estonian who I had known previously in Cardiff. Tom and I joined the Londoner together. If you want Daves phone number I can let you have it.

Ray Wheeler