m.t. Luminetta - 1983/4

mkitt
5th September 2006, 20:14
Anyone remember Luminetta '83/84. When Gordon Ward, Dave Wolfenden, Wally Flett etc. commanded? Especially that trip from Trinidad to Tahiti in '84 which ended up in San Francsico?
Where are you "Minty" Murray, Tommy Cowan, Bob Garner, Chris Ball, et al?

Neil F
2nd January 2008, 13:54
Never made the luminetta, mainly on the Lumiere and Lucerna.

Only person i am in contact with on your list is Chris Ball, he is Chief on the Isle of mann fast boats, I meet up with him, Dereck Clark, Geoff Grice and other Cunard grumpy old men now and again in the Midland pup in Liverpool city centre.

Neil Fillingham

Teacher
18th June 2008, 14:18
Anyone remember Luminetta '83/84. When Gordon Ward, Dave Wolfenden, Wally Flett etc. commanded? Especially that trip from Trinidad to Tahiti in '84 which ended up in San Francsico?

Are you still looking for the above? C/E Ian May still in the North of England. I could try to get some info out of him!

R798780
18th June 2008, 15:08
I was there, Trinidad to Tahiti where Dan Scroggie relieved me so I missed out on San Francisco. Los Angeles on Lucerna was bad enough. Don't think I sailed with the Wolf on that run, certainly Wally Flett and Gordon Ward.

Dave Gaskell
7th July 2008, 18:20
I joined the Luminetta as a spotty engineer cadet on my first trip away from home. Bob Vic introduced me to the C/E an Irish guy called Vic Murray. He was a gent and he took me under his wing until the next C/E Sturat Grant arrived 1 month later.

I was told by the guys onboard that the S/A coastal was magic. Unfortunately for me I ended up spending only 8 weeks on the coast and then we were on our matching orders for Saudi and then Australia. It was looking bleak for the old lady as she couldnt get a charter. 4 months later I left here as she was leaving Singapore with orders to slow steam to Chittagong for scrap.

The memories of the vessel and all the guys onboard will be one to Savour.
Guys such as 4/E Bob Vic, 4/E Bob Anderson, 3/E Big Brian, 2/E Derek Hough, 2/E Tony Hopkinson, C/E Stuart Grant, C/E Vic Murray, Capt Colin Croelle, Capt David Houghton, Elect Tommy Cowan, Elect Kenny Rice, and not forgetting the infamous Radio Op. Chris??

Anyway time passes bye fast and it would be good to know how some of the guys are getting on.

I see the familiar name of Hugh Shuttleworth. I was introduced to Hugh in Cape town and he was on Lumier at the time. I went over for a visit to meet up with a nother cadet called Steve Crosby who at the time was not flavour of the month onboard because he attacked Stuart Bampton in the Bar. I beleive he was restrained and then send home....oh well the joys of the Merchant navy!!

Derek Roger
7th July 2008, 22:14
I joined the Luminetta as a spotty engineer cadet on my first trip away from home. Bob Vic introduced me to the C/E an Irish guy called Vic Murray. He was a gent and he took me under his wing until the next C/E Sturat Grant arrived 1 month later.

I was told by the guys onboard that the S/A coastal was magic. Unfortunately for me I ended up spending only 8 weeks on the coast and then we were on our matching orders for Saudi and then Australia. It was looking bleak for the old lady as she couldnt get a charter. 4 months later I left here as she was leaving Singapore with orders to slow steam to Chittagong for scrap.

The memories of the vessel and all the guys onboard will be one to Savour.
Guys such as 4/E Bob Vic, 4/E Bob Anderson, 3/E Big Brian, 2/E Derek Hough, 2/E Tony Hopkinson, C/E Stuart Grant, C/E Vic Murray, Capt Colin Croelle, Capt David Houghton, Elect Tommy Cowan, Elect Kenny Rice, and not forgetting the infamous Radio Op. Chris??

Anyway time passes bye fast and it would be good to know how some of the guys are getting on.

I see the familiar name of Hugh Shuttleworth. I was introduced to Hugh in Cape town and he was on Lumier at the time. I went over for a visit to meet up with a nother cadet called Steve Crosby who at the time was not flavour of the month onboard because he attacked Stuart Bampton in the Bar. I beleive he was restrained and then send home....oh well the joys of the Merchant navy!!

Probably Tom Bampton ????

R798780
7th July 2008, 23:21
I think I visited from Lucerna while tank cleaning in Capetown after a load of crude from Suez. Was Dave Hughan the old man and Mike Voysey purser, possibly with his wife ? Joan ?. Dave Hughan got rid of the anchor shackle out of the bar, a souvenir from when the cable was cut during a storm off Durban. Not me on Lumiere, only did two trips on her, as Mate in '75 and Master in '92.

An early memory of Tommy Bampton was his rescue from a shore visit in Chile (fromLuminetta in '72) when he riled the locals and got well beaten up. Seemed to be a party trick of his.

Dave Gaskell
8th July 2008, 13:44
Yes I stand corrected the infamous Tommy Bampton and David Hughan.

20 years of alcohol abuse dissolves the brain cells.

Do you remember Alex Reid. I was working onboard an FPSO recently with him. Hell of a nice guy!

R798780
8th July 2008, 19:25
I did a couple of coastals with Alex Reid, he was 2/0, I was 3/0. Then we took the Parthia out to Hong Kong as Staship_1 when it was sold to the Australians. Later we were both on the tankers, but never actually met again.

I've just found my notes on the incident with Tommy Bampton ont the Chilean coast.

One night, just before Christmas 1972, probably at Antofagasta, reports came back by a cadet returning to Luminetta that Tommy, our 2nd Engineer had been arrested by the local police. The heavy gang went to recover him. 3rd Mate - tall, 4th Engineer - big, Electrician - hard. This involved going back ashore in the liberty boat. They duly returned after some time with Tommy. Kevin the 4th was well under the influence and tripped, landing on his head in the boat. Didn't feel a thing. Back on deck it was suggested that he should go to bed so he started stripping for bed right there as he walked up the deck to the accommodation. Tommy was visibly marked by the beating he had received in the bar where he'd been taking refreshment. He could get obnoxious in drink, belligerent and pugnacious - I can't recall when he didn't - and had annoyed either the locals, or seamen from another ship. And physically there wasn't a lot of Tommy.

Must have happened to him before, he didn't winge next day, but looked distinctly off with several odd lumps and discoloration, and that was just from the neck up. I'm not sure if they matched the party hat at Christmas lunch about two days later.

R781128
24th July 2008, 17:19
Bob Garner as far as I know joined the police force. Brother Willy is still on the seas. I can put you in touch if you wish.

Derek Roger
24th July 2008, 18:43
Bob Garner as far as I know joined the police force. Brother Willy is still on the seas. I can put you in touch if you wish.

I sailed with Bob on Mahsuds maiden voyage .Pass on my regards . Derek

Derek Roger
24th July 2008, 18:46
Are you still looking for the above? C/E Ian May still in the North of England. I could try to get some info out of him!

Pass on my kind regards to Ian . Regards Derek

john ac
15th November 2009, 10:12
Never made the luminetta, mainly on the Lumiere and Lucerna.

Only person i am in contact with on your list is Chris Ball, he is Chief on the Isle of mann fast boats, I meet up with him, Dereck Clark, Geoff Grice and other Cunard grumpy old men now and again in the Midland pup in Liverpool city centre.

Neil Fillingham

hi Neil from john cameron the geordie it has been a very long time i think it was the act 2 as well as the lumiere, if you see chris ball and geoff pass on my best wishes, not living in durban any more now in windy cape town, cheers for now hope all is well at home

R798780
15th November 2009, 17:42
hi Neil from john cameron the geordie it has been a very long time i think it was the act 2 as well as the lumiere, if you see chris ball and geoff pass on my best wishes, not living in durban any more now in windy cape town, cheers for now hope all is well at home

Salaams John

Terry Worsley
22nd November 2009, 22:59
When I saw the name 'Luminetta' come up I thought I had struck oil in finding some old shipmates - it was not to be. I was in SS Luminetta out of Manchester in September 1946 and she was pretty old then - and blooody uncomfortable living in the forecastle which could have been before some of you guys were born. I guess the Luminetta referred to was a new version. I am not sure which company owned these ships - was it Moss Tankers? Anyway it is nice to read the adventures of you young bloods!

R798780
23rd November 2009, 00:32
When I saw the name 'Luminetta' come up I thought I had struck oil in finding some old shipmates - it was not to be. I was in SS Luminetta out of Manchester in September 1946 and she was pretty old then - and blooody uncomfortable living in the forecastle which could have been before some of you guys were born. I guess the Luminetta referred to was a new version. I am not sure which company owned these ships - was it Moss Tankers? Anyway it is nice to read the adventures of you young bloods!
Not quite before I was born, and yes it would be Moss Tankers (H E Moss) .
SS Luminetta was built in 1927 and sold to a Panamanian venture in 1952 and may have been renamed (most adventurously) as Lumina !!! Except Moss tankers did have some ships called Lumina. Maybe my notes, courtesy Gordon Ward, are not quite right.
I sailed on the latest Luminetta of 1972 vintage for about of my career. on Brocklebank tonnage, on Luminetta, on Lucerna, and elsewhere.
The only names I can dredge up which might have been around in Mosses at the time you are talking about were masters when I was propelled sideways into those tankers.
Gordon Ward is a long shot, may have been apprentice about then. Jacky Waters, Bill Lucky and Stan Patterson are the other names I can offer. Others on this site may have sailed with some or all of them, I did a brief coastal - on a Brock ship - with Bill Lucky otherwise none except Gordon Ward.

Derek Roger
23rd November 2009, 02:11
Hugh ;
Jackie Waters and Bill Lucky were both at sea during the war and both came up the hawse pipe so would most likley been with Moss at the time . Bill Lucky was in the water twice during the war but I do not know what his ships were at the time . Well named Lucky Bill .

Cheers Derek

Mike Shearer
2nd December 2009, 23:59

Well I never...I see I signed on as R/O in Trinidad 6th Oct 83 - and paid off in Panama 19th Feb 84. I can remember (just) The Junk in Tahiti. Did we call in to Aruba - Charlies Bar as well? Cant fit into the T shirt anymore!

R798780
3rd December 2009, 00:25
Well I never...I see I signed on as R/O in Trinidad 6th Oct 83 - and paid off in Panama 19th Feb 84. I can remember (just) The Junk in Tahiti. Did we call in to Aruba - Charlies Bar as well? Cant fit into the T shirt anymore!

Hi Mike
I see we crossed on the gangway, I joined in Panama that same day you left

bryanm
3rd December 2009, 10:24
Hi Hugh
I also joined in Panama 19.02.84 and signed off again in Panama 20.05.84
Regards
Bryan Miller