Q-Ships

Denmark
7th September 2006, 10:43
Hello

Can someone help me with info on a Q-Ship named "Netley" in I.WW?
I have looked through Lloyds, Janes, British Warships by Dittmar & Colledge and Q-Ships by Carson Ritchie with no result. (Read)
Commander of the ship was John Mcleod. Where was he commander after the Q-Ship Zylpha was sunk 1917?

VBR
Joern

treeve
7th September 2006, 11:08
HMS Netley ; Commander J. McLeod
Built 1916;Thornycroft & Co, Woolston, Southampton,
Guns and torpedo tubes armament.

gdynia
7th September 2006, 11:18
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your time on site

Denmark
7th September 2006, 11:58
Hi Gdynia
Thank you.

Hi Treeve
Thanks. These Info you have are also written on the photo I have. I just find it funny that the ship is not mentioned in any naval books or by Lloyds Register. From where do you have your info?

VBR
Joern

treeve
7th September 2006, 12:15
One of my more ambitious plans was to compile a list of ships which suffered loss or damage during the two World Wars, I sifted through a lot of info wrote to a lot of people and made notes; since then someone has a website on WWI losses, and another has a site on WWII larger losses; I intend to continue with the WWII losses, as it will include the smaller vessels ( including fishing vessels!! ); I have a lot of projects under way. I became interested in Q ships, because of some local ones, someone in Falmouth mentioned the Netley. That is all I know on her. Of course they went under various names and various guises, some of them were sailing vessels.
Best Wishes, Raymond

Denmark
7th September 2006, 12:31
Hi Raymond

Thanks. In "Q-Ships" by Ritchie Carson is a lot of alias names, but Netley is not mentioned. John Mcleod is mentioned, but only as commander of "Zylpha".

When "Netley" is not mentioned in Lloyds, could that indicate that "Netley" was taken into service by the navy directly from the shipyard and never sailed as a merchantship?

VBR
Joern

treeve
7th September 2006, 12:43
Not impossible, of course ... there was an earlier HMS Netley, a torpedo boat, 1890 I think, just going by memory ( such as it is ). All Best, Raymond