Houlder Brothers Magazines

Phil_the_runner
7th September 2006, 13:40
Hi .. Trying to find out where I can track down copies of Houlder Brother's company magazines from 1972 .. Can anybody help?
Phil

gdynia
7th September 2006, 13:52
Phil
Moved your thread you should get more response here

non descript
7th September 2006, 19:10
Neville, thank you for moving this thread and whilst I am sure that most of the local book shops in Kazakhstan have a good supply of past editions – along with “Caspian Sea Monthly” – there is an improved chance that Phil will enjoy more success now you have re-located this.

On that note, may we offer you a warm welcome to the site Phil, enjoy the good ship SN and all it has to offer and we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage and I trust that, with the help of our members, you will soon locate these past editions that you are looking for.

non descript
11th December 2006, 11:42
Hi .. Trying to find out where I can track down copies of Houlder Brother's company magazines from 1972 .. Can anybody help?
Phil

I do remember it was called "The Log" - I wonder if you had any success in tracking down any copies?

saltyswamp
4th July 2007, 22:09
Hi
Wasn,t "The Log " a Furness Withy publication for the whole group.
stuart

non descript
4th July 2007, 22:46
Stuart,

Memory fades with age (in my case certainly), but I am reasonably confident that notwithstanding a few comments to the contrary, The Log was Houlder Brothers rather than that other company…

In his writings about Captain George Frederick Wilson, here ( http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/GenBosunWilson.html) I see that Philip Eagles makes reference to it: “In beginning to research this story I was fortunate enough to have a copy of an article on George Wilson from the Houlder Brothers Company magazine the “Log”.

I would certainly be delighted to see a copy to prove it one way or the other.

marinero
5th July 2007, 10:56
Good Morning Guys.
If my memory serves me right Tonga, I think you are correct in saying the "Log" was Houlder Bros. The Editor at Leadenhall St. was Richard Alexander the son of Sir Charles Alexander of "The Alexander Shipping Co. Ltd.". I have looked high & low for my collection of the Magazines but I reckon they must have gone adrift when I moved house.
Regards(Thumb)

JohnMac068
5th July 2007, 17:10
Good Morning Guys.
If my memory serves me right Tonga, I think you are correct in saying the "Log" was Houlder Bros. The Editor at Leadenhall St. was Richard Alexander the son of Sir Charles Alexander of "The Alexander Shipping Co. Ltd.". I have looked high & low for my collection of the Magazines but I reckon they must have gone adrift when I moved house.
Regards(Thumb)

Leo,
In later years the Editor was Foster Cunliffe, who I first met when he was The South American Saint Line's man in Antwerp, he then became MD of Saint Line in its final years, after the death Mr. Street. I next meet him a few years later in 53 Leadenhall St.

marinero
5th July 2007, 20:58
Leo,
In later years the Editor was Foster Cunliffe, who I first met when he was The South American Saint Line's man in Antwerp, he then became MD of Saint Line in its final years, after the death Mr. Street. I next meet him a few years later in 53 Leadenhall St.

Good Evening John.
I don't remember those names. I only knew Richard Alexander beacause I sent him a piece and pictures when the Air India jet was blown up offshore Ireland. The rescue helicopters used our rig (High Seas Driller) as a refuelling and feeding station whilst searching for survivors without any luck I may add.
Are you still working John or are you enjoying yourself?
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

glenn
7th July 2007, 21:39
I have 5 copies 1980---1981 and they are acredited to been the house magazine of Furness Withy. R. Alexander editor D.Burges Editor in Chief

Nova Scotian
7th July 2007, 22:03
Phil

I would be interested in obtaining a copy of Houlders magazine or any document that would identify the fleet and personnel status of the company during the period 1965 -1968. Anybody out there that might have that information or redirect me?

Cheers

non descript
7th July 2007, 22:19
Thanks for that Glenn. - In April of 1980 Mr CY Tung had gained sufficient shareholder support to make his bid (via OOCL) successful and on 30th September 1980 control of the entire Furness Withy Group passed to Kenwake (being part of OOIL). This would be the reason that the company magazine was shown in 1980-81 as being the “House Magazine of FW” – until that time The Log would have been the sole preserve of Houlders, and gradually, with the loss of its separate identity, it also lost its magazine and it was swallowed up by FW; which in turn was swallowed up by OOCL. On that basis a certain honour can be retained and we are all correct – it was a Houlders' magazine but ended up as an FW one, once total control had been won… (or is that 'lost' ? (Jester) )

ALAN TYLER
18th December 2008, 15:34
I would be interested in obtaining a copy of Houlders magazine or any document that would identify the fleet and personnel status of the company during the period 1965 -1968. Anybody out there that might have that information or redirect me?

Cheers

I,ve got some crew movement sheets and a ship movement sheet but they are all from the 1970/3 period. If you send me a private message with your address I would gladly send you copies.
Alan T. ex Houlders.

David Menzies
7th September 2009, 18:07
Captain Charles Belton was a keen contributer to the magazine. he asked me to take some pictures for him on the bridge of the Oremina for" Maltese Cross comes to Vitoria" Brazil. dave Menzies.

MARINEJOCKY
23rd September 2009, 16:25
I have a copy of THE LOG from 1973 and on the back cover it states "Circulates among the staff of the Furness Withy Group"

If any body wants an email sent with a copy of this attached please send a PM to me and I will get it out to you.

MARINEJOCKY
28th September 2009, 23:55
I have just come across a magazine from Houlders plus 3 movment sheets from 1974, 1969 and 1958, if any body wants a copy either send me a PM or email me and I will send a copy

John Jenkins
27th December 2009, 09:41
Hi,

I have a number of copies. It lloks like it became The Log whe Furness Withy took over and I have

Summer 1979
Winter 1979
Spring 1980
Summer 1980
Winter 1980
Spring 1981
Summer 1981
Winter 1981
Spring 1982
Winter 1982
Spring 1983
Winter 1983 (HSD sat on Fern Carrier on cover)
Summer 1984

I have kept this set as they each have something that I either knew about or knew someone named.

I would be willing to slowly photo copy if this would help.

It is sad that they start with a page and a half of fleet names and finish with half a page.

John Jenkins

Phil

malekith
20th December 2012, 01:39
Hi This Paul Marshall from Houlders 74-88.
I have some of the Logs from No 2(Summer 79),Nos: 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13
16,17,19 and 23 (Summer 88) Three per year Spring Summer Winter.
They were done by the Furness Withy Group.
But: from the book One Hundred Years Of Houlders by Edward F Stevens
(I have a signed copy from Xmas 1956) page 88
Quote from the year 1948 : "At Christmas the "Log" recommenced publication
after a break of nine years. This staff magazine which commenced in 1927 had steadily extended through the group and renewed its activities with a circulation of 2,500 copies.

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions.
Regards Paul.