Sicula Oceanica/s IRPINIA

Fairfield
7th October 2004, 10:54
This is from a postcard showing her in rebuilt state.She features in the film VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED and has two funnels depicting her as the HAPAG liner ST LOUIS.
The film was made after she was rebuilt so the film company went to a lot of trouble to make her look like ST LOUIS giving her back her two funnels!
I got this on board ANGELINA LAURO as I believe Lauro and Sicula Oceanica are connected in some way.

respablu
22nd September 2005, 09:16
hi I'am respablu, sorry for my bad english, I have a lot of foto of IRPINIA, my father was the captin

Piero43
27th September 2005, 17:31
Hi Respablu, where are you from? Something more about you please!
Piero

respablu
29th September 2005, 09:37
I'am from Sorrento Naples, I'am 40 years old, architect (buildings), I'am looking for some pics of Sicula Oceanica-Fratelli Gimaldi-Siosa Lines. My father was master of
Ascania-Lucania-Irpinia-Venezuela-Caribia; My uncle was master of the tanker Amelia Grimaldi-Perseo end Leone. I'am looking for some pic of "Piroscafo Orione" my father first ship. I had to scan some foto of the set of VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED .

ruud
29th September 2005, 10:29
Ahoy Respablu,

Here you can find lots of postcards of the Siosa Lines:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Grimaldi_SIOSA_PCs.html

respablu
29th September 2005, 11:11
Thank you ruud, I'am looking for unpublished pics

Jam One
1st November 2005, 10:44
Hello Respablu, as a child I was a passenger on the SS Irpinia on a voyage between Southampton UK and Kingston Jamaica. The voyage departed on January 5th, 1966 and arrived in Kingston on January 19th, 1966. I wonder if your dad was the captain for that voyage.

Also if you have pictures or any memorabilia from that ship please let me know. If also you have copies of your father's navigation log, I am still most curious about all the ports of call during that voyage.

Cheers,
JamOne

thunderd
1st November 2005, 11:01
Hi Jam One, I notice the above is your first post on this site and I'd like to welcome you on board and hope you find what you are looking for.

tanker
1st November 2005, 11:03
Hello Respablu from an Italian Member from Milano
Gp

R58484956
1st November 2005, 11:21
Welcome jam1 enjoy the site and all the sea fareing knowledge that goes with it.

Doug Rogers
2nd November 2005, 03:49
Welcome aboard Jam1, hope you enjoy the site and what it has to offer.

respablu
6th November 2005, 00:05
Dear JamOne, I’m sorry my dad was not the captain for your voyage. He was the captain of “Irpinia” from the 8/2/65 (Genova) till 29/09/1965 (Napoli). After he supervised, in Trieste, the execution of renovation works of “M/n Caribia” ex “Vulcania”, and then he was the captain on this Liner (Trieste 12/2/66 – Napoli 16/8/66). I don’t know all the ports of call, on my father’s navigation log there is …… Destination : Ocean or Open Sea; sometimes “C. America”.
Probably the captain for your voyage was “Comandante Federico BARUFFO” who stand in for my father.
Cheers
Respablu

Robert Wenberg
27th May 2006, 12:02
Hello. I'm a 40 year-old Aboriginal Australian who grew up on Sydney Harbour and always watched the comings and goings of the liners,most of which were elderly,the former matson trio and the chandris fleet etc,I,m looking for photos and a history,brief,of the the ss Irpinia,according to what I can understand her last known movements to me are around the voyage of the dammed (Film circa 1974)?Please could someone please help me out as I'm quite passionate about ships/Liners.

fred henderson
27th May 2006, 17:19
Hello. I'm a 40 year-old Aboriginal Australian who grew up on Sydney Harbour and always watched the comings and goings of the liners,most of which were elderly,the former matson trio and the chandris fleet etc,I,m looking for photos and a history,brief,of the the ss Irpinia,according to what I can understand her last known movements to me are around the voyage of the dammed (Film circa 1974)?Please could someone please help me out as I'm quite passionate about ships/Liners.

Hello Robert. Firstly welcome to the site, I hope you will enjoy your membership.
Irpinia was built as Campana in UK, by Swan Hunter in 1929 for the French company SGTM for their M****illes - Buenos Aires service. (The net-nanny programme usually refuses the use of the premier French Mediterannean port!).
As built she was steam turbine powered with two funnels. She was interned by the Argentine goverment during WW2. After the war she was returned to SGMT and operated by them to South America until 1951, when she was chartered to Chargeurs Reunis for their Far East service. The charter ended in 1955 and she was sold to the Italian company, Sicula Oceanica and renamed Irpinia.
Her new owners employed her on their Genoa - Central America service and in 1962 commissioned Adriatico, Trieste to carry out a major refit on the ship, including replacing her steam propulsion machinery with diesels, which resulted in her being fitted with a single funnel.
In 1981, the Italian classification society RINA withdrew her certificate and she ceased trading. She was broken up in La Spezia in 1983.

Fred

R58484956
27th May 2006, 17:38
Welcome Robert from the south of England,enjoy the site and all it has to offer

david
28th May 2006, 03:55
Welcome Robert, from Dicky Beach on the Sunshine Coast Queensland.
Also like you I grew up watching the Sydney shipping scene and am now fortunate enough to have retired by the sea and watch the ships from my home.
You will get a huge amount of enjoyment from these shipmates. There is very little they don't know!!
Regards
David D.

lurline
17th January 2007, 08:35
have any one deckplan from the ship ??