Glenorchy

tanker
7th October 2004, 15:44
This is one of 8 sisters /similars built by Caledon between 1938-42.
they were GLENROY-GLENEARN-DEMBIGSHIRE-GLENGARRY-GLENGYLE-GLENARTNEY-BRECONSHIRE .
GLENORCHY is pictured at Genoa in 1969 moored at the old cotton magazine
(now luxury area with cinema ,shopping center ecc.).
I think she was sold for breaking a few time later after her passage from Genoa.The route was from U.K. North Continent to Far East via Suez.
A good remember !!!!!

Fairfield
7th October 2004, 21:42
Beautiful!! I see that your old docklands also become luxury areas as in Britain!

tanker
8th October 2004, 14:29
Yes dear friend the time and the life go away!!!!!

john jones
12th March 2007, 00:50
I sailed on the Glenorchy (Priam 1943 ) Glenroy and Breconshire .They were by far the finest ships I ever sailed on by a long way.

ruud
12th May 2007, 11:31
Ahoy John,
Here your GLENORCHY ex PRIAM & GLENROY ex DEMODOCUS:
Courtesy/©Bettina Rohbrecht

Hague
12th May 2007, 11:40
Ruud,
Some clarification please.
The 'thumbnail' to the left is ex an 'D' boat ( Bosuns House atop the Seamens House abaft No.4). That's fine.
The 'Glenorchy'....what date!!

John (hague)

ruud
12th May 2007, 20:00
Ahoy John,
Can't give more then,was written on the backside,only shipsname and with the added list which was included,it was marked as GLENORCHY 1941 ex PRIAM,but that should be probably her launching date,same for the other pic of the GLENORY 1955 ex DEMODOCUS.I'd to enhanche those pics a lot as they were in more in sepia colour,and not in the best way.
Sorry mate can't give you more info/details.

wreckmeister
22nd August 2008, 22:45
I sailed on the Glenorchy (Priam 1943 ) Glenroy and Breconshire .They were by far the finest ships I ever sailed on by a long way.

were you aboard the glenorchy sunk off the coast of tunisia during operation pedestal, as i have underwater footage of the wreck site, and have been looking for veterans for several years now, but only family members found