Ex T S Arethusa & R F A mates 1956/63.

OLD STRAWBERRY
16th September 2006, 09:27
I wonder if any members may have come across some Old chums of Mine. All of whom entered The R F A after leaving the T S Arethusa. Barrie Dimmock, Russ Parker, Joe Parkinson, John Lody, Dusty Miller and Eric Drury. All in the 1956/63 years.Rgds Tony(Jacky) Straw.

frank earl
28th May 2007, 12:59
My name is Frank Earl and I was leading hand of 10 mess.Number 101 from 1957 to 59.I shipped out with all of those mentioned.Also terry bateman (Arethusa no 81)and pete hays.First ship was Tideflow,then Wave baron.Last time I saw Joe parkinson he was sailing on australian ships.There is a website allatsea.cx which has pics of arethusa boys aboard arethusa,including me.I was then known as Brutus.

The Captain
20th August 2007, 05:39
Frank, I was there but much later, Sept '61 to Dec '63 - No. 5 - 1 Mess. I notice the boy on the left in your thumbnail picture has the crossed rifles. As far as I am aware that particular badge went into disuse from some time prior to 1960 until it was resurected by dear old Shacks (Shackleton) in late 1963. I was led to believe that I was the first to win it for several years and because of problems with having firearms etc. I would be the last. I don't know what happened to the shield probably went the same way as all the other trophies and boards when she was sold off, disappeared into oblivion. I hope that Mrs LeMare, Fergie or some of the other Officers managed to save some of them.

John

Mick quinn
2nd December 2007, 20:55
I was on the 'Are from Jan 65 to Dec 67 and there were a number of boys aboard who "gained" their crossed rifles during that time. Was supposed to get mine but Shacks had a hissy fit and refused to award them because I refused his nomination for me to be a leading boy.

Regards
Colin (Mick) Quinn

Noddy-Billing
6th April 2008, 14:50
My name is Frank Earl and I was leading hand of 10 mess.Number 101 from 1957 to 59.I shipped out with all of those mentioned.Also terry bateman (Arethusa no 81)and pete hays.First ship was Tideflow,then Wave baron.Last time I saw Joe parkinson he was sailing on australian ships.There is a website allatsea.cx which has pics of arethusa boys aboard arethusa,including me.I was then known as Brutus.

That website now seems dead, does anyone know of any other website with pictures of Arethusa boys? I ask because my father was an Arethusa boy back in the 1920's and I have nothing of his from this era (he died in 1957).

OLD STRAWBERRY
6th April 2008, 18:24
Hi Noddy-billing Try www.ts-arethusa.com
Regards Tony.

Noddy-Billing
7th April 2008, 13:57
Thanks Tony, will have a look.
Noddy

nitropt
7th October 2008, 22:34
I have one picture of two cadetes of Royal Navy taken in Arethusa training ship.
I dont know the year, Regards

terry bateman (patch)
11th January 2009, 17:59
I wonder if any members may have come across some Old chums of Mine. All of whom entered The R F A after leaving the T S Arethusa. Barrie Dimmock, Russ Parker, Joe Parkinson, John Lody, Dusty Miller and Eric Drury. All in the 1956/63 years.Rgds Tony(Jacky) Straw.

hi
i sailed with most of the above. in tideflow and tidereach.russ parker was my
drinking partner.he later became a radio officer. jonny lody a customs officer,
was still at dover a few years ago.
all the best
terry (patch) bateman

OLD STRAWBERRY
12th January 2009, 10:54
Hi Terry, I think I remember Your Name. We were all in the RFA pretty much the same time. I would like to meet up with Old Joe Parkinson again as We were on the same mess together in the "ARE" and also sailed together. He may well be in Australia somewhere according to one Guy "Brutus Earl". Hope all is well with You Patch.

terry bateman (patch)
12th January 2009, 13:02
Hi Terry, I think I remember Your Name. We were all in the RFA pretty much the same time. I would like to meet up with Old Joe Parkinson again as We were on the same mess together in the "ARE" and also sailed together. He may well be in Australia somewhere according to one Guy "Brutus Earl". Hope all is well with You Patch.
hi again stawberry
joe was on tidereach with me jonny barry russ. never met up again.
brutus i was in the same years on the are,and tideflow and maybe retainer im
not shure. 1963 i joined the para regt. never met any of the guys again.
all the best
terry(patch)

denverbrit
18th February 2009, 21:35
Hello everyone. My name is Robin Smith......born in London, but now live in Denver, Colorado.
I was on the Arethusa 1962-1964. My memory is a little unreliable, but I believe my number was 150. Went into the MN as a JOS on the Orcades. Also went to sea on: Hinakura (NZ Line) Royston Grange, Port Nicholson and finally, a double header (NZ, USA, Aus) aboard the Illyric in 67/68. Would love to make contact with any old ship mates. Take care, it's a pleasure finding this site.

dusty.
24th September 2011, 11:42
hello brutus, do you remember me? dusty miller ex arethusa boy, we sailed together on one of the wave boats ,cannot remember which one, i sailed on five of them alltogether .good to see you on this site, hope to hear from you soon.
over and out, dusty.