Cutty Sark

billyboy
23rd September 2006, 09:10
thanks to a lottery grant "cutty sark" will be raised 3meters above her present position. and the public will be able to walk beneath her, where they will build a cafe. see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5372876.stm
is this a good think i ask? to my way of thinking it will just be a waste. surely she would be best displayed as she is now. the extra 3 meters height will make her look well out of place.
plus the stress of lifting her on already rotting timbers will surely stress her out even more.

jock paul
23rd September 2006, 12:06
Thanks, Billyboy for bringing this to light. I have looked at the BBC site and I feel the proposal looks too horrible for words. A restaurant under the keel! Atypically phillistine proposal. I appreciate that something needs to be done, but surely there is a more aesthetic solution? My initial feeling is that it would be preferable to put the complete vessel under a dome of some sort, after all, Greenwich is no stranger to Domes! Whatever the outcome, we certainly can't allow this wonderful vessel to rot away. I have a good knowledge and a great love of the old sailing ships and to allow the Cutty Sark to disintigrate would be an unforgivable crime against our maritime heritage.

billyboy
23rd September 2006, 12:29
Couldnt agree with you more Jock.
She must be preserved. he rotten timbers must be replaced and artificialy aged to blend in. thats what i feel this money was for. not for jacking it up 3 meters to put a restaurant underneath it. i feel this would make a proud ship into an eyesore. Iwent all over the cutty sark some years ago and loved every minute of it. she looks so grand at that height.

jock paul
23rd September 2006, 12:52
Hi, me again. Can you imagine what she would look like with her waterline 3 metres above an artificial "sea". It doesn't bear thinking about. Why not put her in a bottle and be done with it. By the way, no disrespect to people who put ships in bottles, I have lately realised how sensitive some folk can be! I have put ships in bottles myself (after emptying the same).

Phill
23rd September 2006, 18:51
HOLD ON, its not as bad as people think, No false waves, just a lot of hard and impressive work to do, work has already started and should take a couple of years to complete, the Cutty sark site is well worth a browse,
I will post regular Photos of the work

attached photo taken 02.09.2006http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.afbkghkcdkkgoofb

fred henderson
23rd September 2006, 21:03
Thanks for your post Phil. Once again the media reporting is inaccurate.

Fred

billyboy
24th September 2006, 00:23
Phill and Fred
Gentlemen i stand corrected. as you so rightly pointed out, sloppy reporting by the media as usual.
have viewed the website with great interest and i thank you Phil for posting that for us.
as you say, much vital and impressive work is in progress.

Chris Field
25th September 2006, 23:32
Re the rotting timbers- I was a cadet on HMS Worcester in 1952 and had to row a LLoyds inspector over to her (50 metres away) to do his tests before she was taken to Greenwich for drydocking.He demo'd to me how the job was done by ramming his jack-knife into the hull, but was dismayed to find that she was in such great condition that the blade simply snapped off! Perhaps drydocking since 1952 hasn't been such a good idea after all?

Phill
9th October 2006, 19:31
Cutty Sark getting nearer £25m Target, but still needs to raise £3million to meet the £25million target, with donations from Trinity House and the Baltic exchange.

Any one wishing to donate visit www.cuttysark.org.uk (http://www.cuttysark.org.uk)

Phill

Phill
20th October 2006, 19:17
The first stages are well under way, much of the muntz metal sheathing has been removed and also quite a few teak timbers,
it looks a long haul as the ship sadly seems to have been neglected.

Will update.
Phill

Phill
20th October 2006, 19:29
She's open until the 5th November 2006,

benjidog
21st October 2006, 04:31
Hi Phill,

Are you involved in this restoration work in some way or have special access?

The website information is very interesting and makes it clear that it is not just repairing the ravages of time but also the ravages of people that have tried to make the ship more accessible in the past (holes in side, new decking etc.). I was not aware previously of all that metalwork.

I only hope the new lift system is not going to look overwhelming - apart from that the plan seems very sound.

Regards,

Brian

Phill
21st October 2006, 11:28
Hi Brian

Iím not involved in the ship, Just interested in whatís happening to her, but thatís not to say I wonít get involved, (just donít tell the Mrs yet) and the ships only a half hour stroll away, she is one of the great sights of London.

The photos taken were from a visitorís view, with no special access, as work can clearly be seen, and with ships staff on hand to offer information as to what is happening,

But clearly there is a lot of work to be done; I will offer my help, be it only for a few days, and I will keep posting information.

Phill

PollY Anna
3rd November 2006, 11:41
Hi Phil you and me both, I am only the same half hour (or maybe 20 mins away). I didn't know that she needed so much money I was of the understanding that it was only 10 mil. I bought some charity stuff over a year ago at Greenwich Auction Rooms, Bob the auctioneer quite often does bits and pieces for local charities and things of interest.

Phill
30th December 2006, 15:33
Quite a lot has happened since November the 5th, all masts and rigging have been removed, ,,,,,,,,,,will keep up with posts,

Phill

benjidog
30th December 2006, 15:41
Hi Phill and other interested members,

I posted three clearer shots in the Gallery of work in progress last week in case you missed them. They are in the Sailing Ships section.

Regards,

Brian

Phill
30th December 2006, 18:25
Hi Phill and other interested members,

I posted three clearer shots in the Gallery of work in progress last week in case you missed them. They are in the Sailing Ships section.

Regards,

Brian
Brian You rotter, you should have given us a shout, hope you liked the local brew,

Totally missed your pictures; a couple of nostalgic shots, itís strange though as I pass by Greenwich most work days and never noticed the masts missing,

Happy New Year (Thumb)

Phill