What Screw?

holmsey
27th September 2006, 19:27
Greetings to the list
Looking for a little bit of help, I've had this picture kicking around for years thinking it was me on the Ocean Monarch in So'ton dry dock around 1973-74, now I'm not so sure, I can't remember if the OM was a single or twin screw. Can anyone out ther help clear the foggy mind.
Regards
Jim Holmes

Jim S
27th September 2006, 20:10
The Ocean Monarch was twin screw so that is not the ship in photo.
From your profile you list Cretic, Ceramic, Carnatic and Icenic.
Of these Icenic was the only single screw ship so I guess that must be the one on which you are balanced so precariously.

holmsey
27th September 2006, 20:43
I thought about all you said Jim and came to the same conclusion, that's why I asked the list. I can remember being in dry dock with the Ocean Monarch and the Cretic (twin screw) but not the Icenic. I suppose that makes me a 'craft' engineer (can't remember a flaming thing)
regards
Jim H

jim barnes
30th September 2006, 17:56
elementary Watson?? elementary(Hippy)

holmsey
6th November 2006, 20:02
Greetings to the list
Being a member of the forum certainly helps focus the mind. After my initial request brought no clue of the ship I went rummaging through old boxes of files etc and found a letter from me to the present Mrs Holmes from the MV Illyric telling her we were going to dry dock in London in April 1973, forgot all about it!! Old age doen't come alone.
Regards
Jim H

Stephen J. Card
6th November 2006, 21:31
elementary Watson?? elementary(Hippy)

Jim

I see from your profile that you were with OTS for a couple of voyages....
Overseas Dunnage & Swillage or was it Overseas Tubbage & Garbage? !!!!

Did you every sail with Dick Jolly (Mate) or Capt George Leggate? Capt Sam Williams? C/E Bill Carneggy... C/E Martin, 2/E Donald McSween? 2/E Kevin Ferrule? Bosun Tony Pring? AB Bert Litherland? AB Fred Yeo?

These fine fellows were on OTS's MARINIA based in Bermuda 1964 to 1966.

Stephen