Matra and Maturata slides found at last

Tony Selman
1st October 2006, 16:51
A missing box of slides has at long last been found and amongst them are a couple of Brock's ships you may like to see.

The first is of Matra taken in Mukalla in 1964. This was the first and only time I ever went there and I actually went ashore with a couple of others - a distinctly unmemorable place. The main thing I recall was discharging a couple of army wagons into a sailing barge and a distinctly precarious process it was too.

The second shot is of Maturata taken in Boston in January 1969. I spent quite a while on Maturata and at this time we were on Anchor Line charter to the Northern USA having mainly loaded in Glasgow and Dublin. On this voyage we had left the UK just before Christmas knowing that we were going to be held up in a planned dock strike in the US. From memory we arrived on New Years Eve and did not leave until March. As you can see the weather is distnctly un-Calcutta like and the berth was under snow for the majority of the time we were there. Despite this we had a great time as many of us had planned in advance and had various hobby related things with us to pass the time. We got to know a very friendly bunch of Americans and many a party was had with the occupants of the local nurses home. The British Consulate came up trumps with some long lost fund they never used which allowed British citizens in our position (stuck in Boston) to have social funds and they allowed us to purchase tickets for every Boston Bruins ice hockey and Boston Celtics basketball game.

I can't remember all the names but the Captain was Butch Ward, C/0 Colin Kingston, 2/0 Alan Lord, 3/0 was Norwegian first name Erik, PC/S Mike Voysey. For the life of me I cannot remember any of the engineers or the Electrician. The food was great though and we were the envy of Cunard's Samaria which was on the other side of the shed from us.

Don A.Macleod
2nd October 2006, 20:35
Crikey! it only seems like yesterday Tony. We arrived in Savannah (MAHOUT) on 5th Jan and were put on a reduntant berth across from the town, MAKRANA arrived later and was put alongside us. Our lifeboat was used as a "ferry" running at regular intervals. We were like yourselves there till March but we became part of the community and had a great time being well looked after with various invites and entertinment. Unfortunately we had to take her back to Cal. whereas all the other vessels caught up, just went home if I remember correctly. We were not amused! That trip was the best I ever did with a great crowd. John G. was there. D.Campbell(Capt) J.Grant(Chief) others Erin Jackson, Jim Wort, Charlie Clarke,that well known "chippy" Dennis Taggart and so on, Your opposite number was Bryn Tinton.
We had very little snow in comparison to you, memories Tony.

Don

Tony Selman
2nd October 2006, 20:52
It does seem like yesterday doesn't it Don? There must have been a good few Cunard-Brocklebank ships trapped on that coast during that period. There are quite a few old Makrana hands on this board and someone may well have been there at the same time.

You must have joined Mahsud with me (plus Charlie Clarke for that matter) in September 1969 if you went back to Cal on Mahout after the strike was over and then back home?

Don A.Macleod
2nd October 2006, 22:14
Flew home from Cal. in May but didn't get my full leave and was away to Japan again to join MAIHAR(she'd just gone on to the Mitsui charter) did a couple of Sydney runs then joined MAHSUD in Japan(trained staff shortages).
That was in October, you were there and the late Charlie Clarke, Watson Ross was the old man. We signed off on 23rd Feb in Philly so I had over eight months away that trip. Challenging times but I enjoyed those two ships..

Don

Tony Sprigings
3rd October 2006, 18:26
Tony,
Seeing the photo of the Maturata again reminds me that I have the Bridge Bell in my porch. I had to hand her over to the buyers in the Tyne and the bell was not part of the deal!

Tony Selman
3rd October 2006, 19:00
What a wonderful memento Tony. What wouldn't we all give for something like that to be available to us now.

Tony Selman
3rd October 2006, 19:08
Don, I flew home on that flight from Philly as well but I must admit I do not remember you joining in Japan. I assumed you flew out from London to New York with the rest of us. I enjoyed that trip on Mahsud and Graham King who was 2R/O on there with me also uses the board occasionally. I have lost touch with everyone else except you and Graham, even 2/O Roger Newton who used to live very close to me in Sidmouth.

Don A.Macleod
3rd October 2006, 21:42
You had an Amercan Sen.elect. from NY to Yokohama Tony. Yes! I remember Graham and Roger(didn't his folks have a pub called the Black Bull?) and he used to serve in it when on leave. I had three months leave after that trip, got married did a couple of weeks on the MANGLA then it was out to Seattle to rejoin MAIHAR then during my next leave I was asked to do the final "voyage" of the MATRA, Liverpool to Antwerp. Very sad seeing your first ship going to new owners.
Don

Tony Selman
4th October 2006, 13:54
Don, very good effort at Roger's pub after all these years. It was actually called the Blue Ball and was in Sidford which is just outside Sidmouth. I regularly used to go there from my home in Exeter and in these days of drink-drive regulations I certainly would not be allowed to drive home in the same condition. His father owned the pub for many years and Roger took over when he retired. He may well still be there as I have not been back to that area for donkey's years.

mcook
4th October 2006, 17:51
I was on the Makrana in Savannah during the strike. That was my second trip as junior RO.
I posted some time ago a story about our memorable football game against the Greeks. (==D)

john g
4th October 2006, 23:05
I was on the Makrana in Savannah during the strike. That was my second trip as junior RO.
I posted some time ago a story about our memorable football game against the Greeks. (==D)

Played in the team remember it welll.....john g

Alan Lord
8th April 2007, 16:31
Hi Tony and all,

I remember our stay in Boston on the Maturata and some of the parties. Yes we arrived New Year's Eve 1968 and sailed 15 March having not done a tap. We carried the Boston cargo down to New York and were there in time for St Patrick's Day. The Cunard ship across the quay was the Ivernia.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan Lord
8th April 2007, 16:41
Hi all,

Forgot to say before, Colin Kingston retired some years ago as Master of the second Atlantic Conveyor when she was taken over by Atlantic Container Line.

Regards,

Alan

Tony Selman
9th April 2007, 18:31
I have replied to Alan with a PM but it is great to establish contact with yet another former shipmate from so many years ago. What a wonderful site this is. I bow to Alan's superior memory over the Cunarder on the other side of the shed.

R798780
9th April 2007, 22:27
Hi Tony and all,

I remember our stay in Boston on the Maturata. The Cunard ship across the quay was the Ivernia.

Cheers,

Alan

There was a plaque in the bar on Ivernia in 1970 which said something like "Boston and Ivernia, the best combination ever".

I transferred to Ivernia in Philadelphia, from Makrana in Colombo via Mangla (courtesy Marine Super Tony Sprigings) to get me home for my wedding.

Salaams Alan - you were 2nd mate on my next trip. Ann says Hi as well.

Alan Lord
11th April 2007, 18:32
Hi all,

I remember Tony Selman did quite a few trips on Maturata when I was there. I did six trips on her to the USA and was onboard when she was sold to the Maldives in Newcastle when Tony Sprigings took custody of the bridge bell. She was a good roller on the North Atlantic to say the least!

I have some photos of us in Boston. They were taken at someone's house - Colin Kingston, Mike Voysey, Tony Selman and me. You are dozing so maybe you were tired or possibly too many beers? I’ve attached it for posterity.

Hugh you are correct the Ivernia had a plaque behind the bar which was a relic from our stay in Boston. We made it on the Maturata and gave it to Ivernia during one of the parties on board. If I remember correctly it read “We only serve who only sit and drink”.

It was still in place when I joined Manipur (ex Ivernia) in Houston on a Concordia charter trip - Non-stop New York to Bandar Shapur on the Shat-Al-Arab, Iran. 36 days via the Cape I seem to recall, the fresh water looked like Coca Cola as the tanks were nearly dry. The infamous Colin Heard was Mate.

Cheers,

Alan

Tony Selman
11th April 2007, 22:29
Good grief Alan that is one from the distant past. That was taken in the house of some American friends who I seem to recall some of us met at a Boston Bruins ice hockey game. I can recall a brother and sister and he was certainly a very keen Bruins fan. We had them down on board for several parties and this would have been one of the return matches. They were very hospitable and provided us with great steaks amongst other things. I think they lived within walking distance of the ship which was handy for getting back.

Wonderful to see faces from that time, albeit I do not seem to be in my prime, Colin, Mike and yourself were great shipmates.

Don A.Macleod
12th April 2007, 12:21
Hi all,

I remember Tony Selman did quite a few trips on Maturata when I was there. I did six trips on her to the USA and was onboard when she was sold to the Maldives in Newcastle when Tony Sprigings took custody of the bridge bell. She was a good roller on the North Atlantic to say the least!

I have some photos of us in Boston. They were taken at someone's house - Colin Kingston, Mike Voysey, Tony Selman and me. You are dozing so maybe you were tired or possibly too many beers? I’ve attached it for posterity.

Hugh you are correct the Ivernia had a plaque behind the bar which was a relic from our stay in Boston. We made it on the Maturata and gave it to Ivernia during one of the parties on board. If I remember correctly it read “We only serve who only sit and drink”.

It was still in place when I joined Manipur (ex Ivernia) in Houston on a Concordia charter trip - Non-stop New York to Bandar Shapur on the Shat-Al-Arab, Iran. 36 days via the Cape I seem to recall, the fresh water looked like Coca Cola as the tanks were nearly dry. The infamous Colin Heard was Mate.

Cheers,

Alan

Got your post Alan, Hughs post confirmed it was MAIHAR (I spent two and a half years on her and MAHSUD with coastals in between), actually we left her in Baltimore(Philly was the plan)but fog at Heathrow prevented our reliefs from arriving so we had to take her to Baltimore,cases packed but we had to carry out our duties, very frustrating!
Regarding the infamous Colin I don't recollect learning the outcome of painting the white band back on the MAHSEER. Perhaps Hugh does as he was there. Regards
Donald

PS. As for Mr Selman didn't ROs spend half their time asleep?! Now I am in trouble.

Tony Selman
12th April 2007, 13:43
Skating on thin ice there Mr Macleod. (egg)

R798780
12th April 2007, 14:28
Got your post Alan, Hughs post confirmed it was MAIHAR (I spent two and a half years on her and MAHSUD with coastals in between), actually we left her in Baltimore(Philly was the plan)but fog at Heathrow prevented our reliefs from arriving so we had to take her to Baltimore,cases packed but we had to carry out our duties, very frustrating!
Regarding the infamous Colin I don't recollect learning the outcome of painting the white band back on the MAHSEER. Perhaps Hugh does as he was there. Regards
Donald

PS. As for Mr Selman didn't ROs spend half their time asleep?! Now I am in trouble.

Salaams Don

Joined Maihar end July 1970 in Vancouver - Ann's 21st that day!

Don't know the outcome of the repainting of the white band except Mahseer then looked like a Brock ship again. In hindsight I would think Sam Baxter was the influence there. From repute Sam was one of the most highly regarded, and Colin Heard the least.

Don A.Macleod
12th April 2007, 15:31
Skating on thin ice there Mr Macleod. (egg)
Aye! well you know me Tony,always a chancer! Good memories though. Don.

Don A.Macleod
12th April 2007, 16:02
Hi! Hugh and Ann.
Remember very well when you joined in Vancouver,the "oldman"(Watty) chief eng.(Dave Meek) and I had joined a couple of weeks earlier in Seattle.
Colin was something else though,I think I fell out with him for a while over a trivial matter(not difficult!). Sam may have been instrumental in the white band scenario but at least she looked like a Brock ship again. Regards to you both. Don.

nickyb
24th January 2009, 21:45
hi tony,we have been trying to do a little research into the boat we bought a couple of years ago and in doing so came across this site and you and your friends postings,the reason being the boat is called 'matra',and was a former life boat on ss Matra,she is a lovely little boat which is now mainly sailed on the calmer waters of the river Nene in Nothamptonshire,and is probably quite different to how you remember her.I found your slide photo and will be printing it off to frame and hang on board,i'll be glad to send you a photo of our Matra if you're interested,we'd be more than interested to hear any tales or info you can offer,thanks nicky,dave and family

Derek Roger
25th January 2009, 02:20
A missing box of slides has at long last been found and amongst them are a couple of Brock's ships you may like to see.

The first is of Matra taken in Mukalla in 1964. This was the first and only time I ever went there and I actually went ashore with a couple of others - a distinctly unmemorable place. The main thing I recall was discharging a couple of army wagons into a sailing barge and a distinctly precarious process it was too.

The second shot is of Maturata taken in Boston in January 1969. I spent quite a while on Maturata and at this time we were on Anchor Line charter to the Northern USA having mainly loaded in Glasgow and Dublin. On this voyage we had left the UK just before Christmas knowing that we were going to be held up in a planned dock strike in the US. From memory we arrived on New Years Eve and did not leave until March. As you can see the weather is distnctly un-Calcutta like and the berth was under snow for the majority of the time we were there. Despite this we had a great time as many of us had planned in advance and had various hobby related things with us to pass the time. We got to know a very friendly bunch of Americans and many a party was had with the occupants of the local nurses home. The British Consulate came up trumps with some long lost fund they never used which allowed British citizens in our position (stuck in Boston) to have social funds and they allowed us to purchase tickets for every Boston Bruins ice hockey and Boston Celtics basketball game.

I can't remember all the names but the Captain was Butch Ward, C/0 Colin Kingston, 2/0 Alan Lord, 3/0 was Norwegian first name Erik, PC/S Mike Voysey. For the life of me I cannot remember any of the engineers or the Electrician. The food was great though and we were the envy of Cunard's Samaria which was on the other side of the shed from us.

I sailed with Mike Voysey on my first trip to sea ( he was 2nd Purser . Steward ) great chap and a very good feeder ! )
Also Colin Kingston ( From Doncaster ) on a later trip to Calcutta .

The only trip I had with Butch Ward was his last ; He was Master I was Chief . Sadly he died of cancer after that trip . We became good friends and after I was relieved in the Seychelles I asked the company to fly him home as I knew he was not well . The gentleman never complained but we could see he was not well .

Oh could we relive the moments . Its only 33 years ago . Derek

Cunarder
29th January 2009, 18:52
Hi all,

Cheers,

Alan

I remember that trip too Alan. I was the R/O. I lugged my newly bought guitar all the way - never did learn to play it well....

Cheers
Alan Marsden

john g
21st February 2009, 21:49
I remember that trip too Alan. I was the R/O. I lugged my newly bought guitar all the way - never did learn to play it well....

Cheers
Alan Marsden

That was my last trip the "mad monk" was 2/E seem to remember an alternator falling apart , a fire in the engine room being extinguished by Nick the electrician , Paddy the 3/E lost part of his finger, the west Pakistan army invaded Chittagong shortly before our arrival, we had two watchkeeping engineers ( 2/E and myself ) supported by the elec and apprentice, Colin Heard was the mate and .............last trip but great memories.

alex mcwilliam
5th July 2012, 18:21
Hello Allan
just saw you here abd remember good times on Maturata in Boston
Alex McWilliam

Jim S
5th July 2012, 19:36
John G,

"Paddy" - the 3/E that you mention was that George McLaughlin from Holywood near Belfast?

john g
5th July 2012, 19:46
John G,

"Paddy" - the 3/E that you mention was that George McLaughlin from Holywood near Belfast?

Hi Jim the "Paddy" I refered to was Martin Clark who I believe lived in Nothern Ireland. The only news I ever heard was he got home safely. I believe Derek Roger new him well

Derek Roger
6th July 2012, 23:27
Paddy was from Larne ; I spent my early apprenticeship with him and two deep sea trips as apprentice . Have lost touch .

Derek