Nolstagic era 60s/70s Hong kong based trampers

universalskipper
3rd October 2006, 08:05
I'm sure some older mariners will remember that period when there were many Hongkong based trampers plying the China coast n further. That was a highly opportunistic n if I may say 'adventurous n gungho' period where a large number of old 'buckets' do their trade in competition with the newer ones. If you are an entrepreneur at the time (I meant shipowners/managers, shipyards n down the line), you could make it big 'zoom' fast or go the other way even faster. Don't forget we had a Vietnam war going, China being very closed, N.Korea a 'fortress', shortage of goods n hardwares for underdeveloped countries, lack of ships n manpower n the likes .. and that bring about a lot of voids to fill, especially in the area of trade or the more realistic term...barter. Its like a.. grab an old vessel cheap (one on way to scrap yard will do), convert it quick, get it seaworthy, flagged it, manned it.. and off she went.

I supposed shipping activities are probably no different now in Hong Kong SAR, but I think everything is more organised n emphasizing liner (containerised) trade and hugh outlays. The entrepreneur in shipping of today will find it quite a different challenge.. but like they say ..nothing is impossible in biz so dont let me discourage in anyway lol.

On another note, in the 60s/70s, I have the good fortune (thinking back.. as far as experiences gained) to sail on few of these trampers as a deck officer. They're:

mv Universal Skipper (owned by a start-up Co. a master mariner I forgot)..some ports of calls, China, N. Korea, Japan..
mv Sydney Breeze, mv Thames Breeze, mv San Eduardo, mv San Roberto, mv London Breeze (operated by J. Manners) ...some ports of call, China, Japan, South East Asia, New Caledonia, Australia, Canada, USA, Europe, ..

Most of these being renamed vessels (British flag (Hongkong, a British colony then) and also Panama Flag) and I'm not sure what their original names were.

The crew being an international cast mainly Hongkongers, and we all did our bit to get on with life on board however tough, language n food barriers n all.

I guess there are many of you (or shipmates) or their loved ones out there who have something to say or comment on that era. Lets hear it.
Good day to all.

S[/FONT]

vic pitcher
3rd October 2006, 08:48
Hi Universalskipper

I was with Manners in the early sixties.
On my last trip as Apprentice with Smiths, when in Marmagoa loading ore, there were a host of HK tramps there, Williamsons, Wheelock Mardens and berthed close to us, Manners "Sydney Breeze." That's for me, I thought; and after passing for 2nd Mate in June 1960 I joined "East Breeze" as 3rd Mate. I was subsequently in "San Mayon" (an antique ex-B.I) in the cattle trade.
"Sunda Breeze" (a venerable Scandinavian ) and "West Breeze"
A fascinating period with the ports and anchorages of the Eastern Archipelago full of relics of the past. the only comparable place in Europe was The Golden Horn.
There is an excellent Australian publication called "Sold East" by Messrs. Kentwell and Dick with the full histories of the leading HK entrpreneurs .
I fully intended to stay out East, but following my father's death I returned to the UK and commenced a lifelong affair with tankers.
There are a few ex-Manners guys contributing to this site and afew pictures in the Gallery.

John Briggs
3rd October 2006, 09:23
Yes Universalskipper, I was in Manners in the sixties as mate and then master. As you say they were good times.

Your post was difficult to read with the very small font - please go up a level.

chaspat
3rd October 2006, 11:05
Sailed with C.N.Co. in early 60's and a few of my mates 'defected' to what we called 'outside Co's' Manners being one of them. I had thought about it but preferred security of Swires. Vic Norman from Ramsbottom nr Manchester was one of them. Did anyone ever sail with him?

universalskipper
4th October 2006, 05:24
Sorry abt the small print..upsize edited. Thanks for posts. I remember Capt Wagg? n Jankovic? Apologise ..not being good at remembering their full names . I think they worked in office 20th Fl? Manners Bldg? HKg Central.. as Deck n Eng Supt. respectively. I know the Eng supt. was going home to Trieste (in Yugoslavia or Italy?) as I was on London Beeze as 2nd mate n we took his son Tony (teenager then) on board as supernummery..we eventually dropped him off in Rotterdam or Teeside after some 54 days steaming (via cape) from Bitung? Menado, North tip of Sulewesi (Celebes) Indonesia to Teeside (still thinking name of port). Cargo was full load bulk copra..thats when I discover the beatles..I mean beetles.

John Briggs
4th October 2006, 05:42
Yes, Ashley Wagg, Bruno Jancovic, and Bill Williams were some of the directors along with the De la Sala boys. Many shonky deals were done in that office, but we all enjoyed it!

universalskipper
4th October 2006, 07:19
Now I remember..yes more comes to mind. There's another Manners' Rep in Djakarta, a Dutchman Capt. Woesterfeld? I think? Btw, the teeside port..Middlesbrough. Ch.mate East onboard London Breeze hailed from the area coincidentally. And sad to note on the trip from Bitung to Middlesbrough, Ch.eng Nagelhout another Dutchman fell sick n at stopover in Tg Priok Djkt. he passed away.

John Briggs
4th October 2006, 09:19
Yes, Chris Oestenfeld - ex Pamir trainee.

vic pitcher
4th October 2006, 09:49
Yes, Chris Oestenfeld - ex Pamir trainee.

Universalskipper and John

I remember Mario Giancovic well, also L.T. Williams (ex-Lloyds Surveyor in HK)
I met all the Lasalas including the formidable Robert Perez de La Sala (1908-67). I also sailed with his brother- in-law, Captain "Tassy" Holmes in "East Breeze"

When I joined Manners in 1960, Eric Milroy was Deck Super, I later sailed with him when he was Master "West Breeze" He was superseded as Super by John P McRink (Phil) who was later to found a successful management company in HK. Phil McRink retired to the UK and died in September 2001.

Chris Ostenfeld was the son of a Union Company Master and spent most of his time with Manners in Singapore. I met up with him for lunch in Singapore about 10 years ago.

Check through my threads for the tale about the perpetrator of the "Geologist"-"Sunprincess" collision who sailed in "East Breeze" as Mate under false pretences.
I have some interesting cuttings about the La Salas, given to me by Chris that I would be glad to scan in and send to any ex-Manners guys who are interested.

arthurryan
16th February 2007, 18:14
I served with Manners as Cadet on the Suva Breeze in 1961 from the age of 16 and became 3rd.Mate of her at 17 yrs and 5 months. ( not normal these days)_

After getting my 2nd.Mates in 1966 I spent almost 2 years on the Asia Breeze and a few months on the North Breeze before returning to Ireland to complete my tickets to Master FG and serve for 6 year on Esso Tankers.

Recognise many of the names mentioned in the forum. I am aware that Chris Ostenfeld trained on the Pamir and if I am not mistaken, he is exceptional in that his qualification is Extra master Square Rigged !!

Love to hear from some more Manners people.

slick
17th February 2007, 07:43
All,
I was with CNCo in the 60's, and it was then that CNCo decided to put the "Taikoo" (their Houseflag) on the funnels of their fleet, effectively copying Royal InterOcean Lines.
I had noticed on joining CNCo that the funnels of most HK Ships were tall,black and upright.
I was told that the nickname for these was a "Hong Kong Dustbin".
I also remember seeing two ships the "Catford and Dartford" I think, and the story was that these ran to North Vietnam effectively blockade runners any confirmation, my memory plays tricks now and then.
Yours aye,
Slick

arthurryan
17th February 2007, 23:11
I loaded copra on the Suva Breeze in N.Sulawesi in the port of Menado does this port reng a bell? very deep anchorage where you had to kedge inwards to locate bottom. We lost an anchor there!!

Regards,
Arthur Ryan

vic pitcher
18th February 2007, 10:58
I loaded copra on the Suva Breeze in N.Sulawesi in the port of Menado does this port reng a bell? very deep anchorage where you had to kedge inwards to locate bottom. We lost an anchor there!!

Regards,
Arthur Ryan

Arthur

Didn't do much Indonesia in my Manners days.
Did you ever come across the wee "Isobel" an ex Coast Liner with Jack Parish as "Old Man", used to run to Bagan si Api Api. I sailed with Jack when he was Mate of "East Breeze." He was a Yorky who had settled in Gunnedah NSW. He had been Mate of "Clyde Breeze" the ex Union Co. ship in Indo log trade, Phil McCrink had been Master of her.
I never caught sight of "Suva Breeze" must have been an interesting ship, ex wartime Mac Ship, I believe

jazz606
19th February 2007, 15:38
I've just looked up the "Sold East" book on amazon. £287 !!!!

exsailor
22nd February 2007, 11:23
Sailed with John Manners in early '70s. Fleet consisted of 'North Breeze', 'Pacific Saga', 'Pacific Era', 'Djatiluhur' and 'Djatinegara'.
Was Deck Cadet on 'Pacific Saga' - Liberian flag bulker built for carrying oil pipes. On charter to Showa, sub chartered to Toyo Line. Only carried oil pipes once - Japan/Persian Gulf, then to East London to backload grain. Mainly carrying steel plate and coils Japan/US West Coast & Gulf, backloading grain. Did a couple of trips Goa & Madras/Japan with iron ore. Skippers Frank Adamson and Ian Reid, C/O's Jake Aurora and Dave Ramsay, C/E MacFarlane - brother of USSCo General Manager.
Third Mate on 'Djatiluhur' (ex Anne Reed/No, blt '61). Hong Kong British flag, general cargo on long term charter to Djakarta Lloyd. Trading Indonesia/Europe - great ship. Capt Augusto Alfredo Chan Lizardo, various C/O's (new to coy), C/E Bill Dimmond, 2/E Tony Cook.
Lizardo's brother, who used the surname Chan was Manners man in Singapore at the time.
Left after 3 years with company (lousy money and no future) and joined a near new 21 knot reefer - was like going from caveman era to space-age.
Cheers, Dennis.

vic pitcher
22nd February 2007, 13:53
s 2nd Mate of "East Breeze" some time in 1961.
I relieved Augusto Lizardo as 3rd Mate of "East Breeze" in Marseilles July 1960.
He is now retired in Macao, his brother Chan Lizardo is in Canada.

vic pitcher
22nd February 2007, 13:55
s 2nd Mate of "East Breeze" some time in 1961.
I relieved Augusto Lizardo as 3rd Mate of "East Breeze" in Marseilles July 1960.
He is now retired in Macao, his brother Chan Lizardo is in Canada.

I hit the wrong button somewhere, my posting started with saying I relieved I was relieved by Ian Reid as 2nd Mate of East Breeze in Japan in 1961

Keith Adams
22nd February 2007, 22:01
In the 1950s British ships operating on the China Coast painted a huge Union
(Jack) Flag on the hull amidships same as neutral ships did during WWl and WWll. Also were paid a Danger Bonus and signed a three year contract in addition to the Articles... was a way for Dry Cargo lads with no tanker experience to sock some money away so as to buy a car and save for a house
deposit... was a flag so painted in the 1960s and 1970s? Snowy

notnila
24th February 2007, 00:38
I definately remember seeing Union Flags on the sides of some in the early to mid 60s. Arch

Dave Edge
24th February 2007, 05:30
Many Hong Kong tramps traded to North Vietnam during the Vietnam 'action' and they certainly had very large Union flags on either side, on the hatch tops and anywhere else it would fit.
Anyone sail with an Australian, Ted (?) Prettyman in Manners and formerly Karlanders running to New Guinea?

treeve
24th February 2007, 05:37
Hope you don't mind my butting in, but I am looking for information and picture of Maersk's first vessel ( in the East ) BRIGANTINE, their
flagship in 1956 which was originially the FLOREAL. They formed the Brigantine company from that ship and her "descendants".
I have written to Brigantine, but, as expected, no reply.

Butters
27th February 2007, 04:53
Do any of you remember a couple of NZ Masters in Manners in the 60's and early 70's. Eddie Rainbow ex. Union Co., from Lyttelton and and the other was from Napier - Waites - he had been Bosun of 'LIMERICK', when she was sunk off the Aussie Coast during the war.

Butters.

vic pitcher
27th February 2007, 09:18
Do any of you remember a couple of NZ Masters in Manners in the 60's and early 70's. Eddie Rainbow ex. Union Co., from Lyttelton and and the other was from Napier - Waites - he had been Bosun of 'LIMERICK', when she was sunk off the Aussie Coast during the war.

Butters.

Hi Butters

I certainly had heard of Eddie Rainbow.

Jim Waite joine Manners in 1961 as Mate of "East Breeze" when I was 2nd Mate there, I think it was in Yawata, Japan.He was fond of telling us how much more he was getting as Mate with Manners than as Master with the Union company
I think it was in Fremantle that the 3rd Mate, Bobby Baptista adopted a mutt that came wandering on board, which i successfully cured of distemepr by a
jag of penecillin, After Baptista left, Jimmy Waite adopted the pooch and gave it the name of "Tess." I heard that "Tess" later met her demise by a thoughtless leap down No.4 hatch.

universalskipper
14th May 2007, 12:07
I hit the wrong button somewhere, my posting started with saying I relieved I was relieved by Ian Reid as 2nd Mate of East Breeze in Japan in 1961
Was 2/off when Ian Reid C/off and a S'porean C/E Smith on the Panamanian "San Eduardo" part of Manners managed fleet. Converted bulk carrier from a tanker in HK and did a voyage loaded ore in Phils to Longview US and return voy with logs from Prince Rupert West Coast Canada to Japan. Funny can't remember the Capt on board. Cheers.

Ventry
14th May 2007, 12:30
Any of you from Manners remember Les Wilde (Cockney - very much into Horse racing). When I sailed with him he was in process of publishing a handbook on 'Winning at the Races'. Was an absolute encyclopaedia of knowledge on anything 'horsey'. I sailed with him in Marcona early 70s, he was about 60 yrs old at that time.

universalskipper
14th May 2007, 12:53
Anybody remember Capt Eggleston ? (another cockney?) sailed with him on London Breeze. He's got this blown belly with a few inches long hole on it..from an earlier op? No offence but remembered him that way when he sat on a deckchair with bermuda on under the lifeboat, tanning in the sun with a cold beer in the calm Indonesian waters. Nice carefree holiday scene coasting at 10 kts around the islands. What a view.

vic pitcher
14th May 2007, 13:29
Was 2/off when Ian Reid C/off and a S'porean C/E Smith on the Panamanian "San Eduardo" part of Manners managed fleet. Converted bulk carrier from a tanker in HK and did a voyage loaded ore in Phils to Longview US and return voy with logs from Prince Rupert West Coast Canada to Japan. Funny can't remember the Capt on board. Cheers.

I think you are referring to Rennie Smith, whose wife kept the "Victoria Bar" just behind the YMCA in Kowloon, close to Star Ferry.
I sailed with Rennie in "East Breeze" where he was 3rd Eng, Barry Edwards C/E (accompanied by wife, Fay. Also in "San Ernesto/San Mayon" where he was Chief.
Does any one remember the gorilla-like Filipino Mate of the "Ernesto" Eugenio del Castillo?

universalskipper
14th May 2007, 16:09
I think you are referring to Rennie Smith, whose wife kept the "Victoria Bar" just behind the YMCA in Kowloon, close to Star Ferry.
I sailed with Rennie in "East Breeze" where he was 3rd Eng, Barry Edwards C/E (accompanied by wife, Fay. Also in "San Ernesto/San Mayon" where he was Chief.
Does any one remember the gorilla-like Filipino Mate of the "Ernesto" Eugenio del Castillo?

Remember vaguely the connection to a Hkg bar there, so thats the C/E Rennie Smith. Fil Mate Eugeno probably the same guy I met briefly on board Manners vessels when we standby officers were usually put to doing some superintending work in Hkg.
Thanks.

universalskipper
17th May 2007, 06:46
And yes this reminds me the bar I've been in there with a pic of 'London breeze' on wall and some familiar names coming back..were there Tees Breeze, Cronulla, Toons Breeze, South , North, East and West Breezes in which some of my buddies from Singapore & Hkg sailed on as junior officers. Thanks again.

Warwickgj
8th October 2007, 04:12
G'day all,
My father, George Jones was 2nd radio officer on the "Limerick" when she was sunk off Byron Bay. I would love to hear from any of you who have any recollections of seeing the "Limerick" and/or may have any photos of her.
Likewise for anyone who sailed under Capt Frank Jaunay, her Master at that time.
Thank you in anticipation, Please PM.
Warwick Jones

PollY Anna
8th October 2007, 11:36
Hi Guys

Somebody was asking about the history of some of Manners Ships

I know for a fact that the Trelevan was bought and renamed Sydney Breeze in 1964. As I sailed on her (Treleven) in 1963 and I have researched all the vessels I sailed on. She was sold on in 1970 and sadly ended her days with a bad Engine room fire in 1973. In Halifax Nova Scotia that really necessitated her being scraped in Valencia the following year. Must have been a nice tow job.

Regards Ron

Baulkham Hills
16th July 2008, 18:06
Hi there,
In the early 70's I joined a ship called the Glendalough, owned by Mullions of Hong Kong, in Rotterdam. She was discharging a cargo of copra from the Celebes and a number of restaurants were closed ashore due to infestion from the vessel. She was a 1953 built triple expansion steamer (originally Irish Oak) and I never remember her doing more than 7 knots. We loaded pig iron and coal from Poland for Karachi. Engine repairs at Capetown for a few weeks. Then to Bangkok for Jute for Japan again repairs at Singapore, HongKong at the Whampoa dry docks then more repairs at Kaoshiung and finally to Kobe where I paid off after more than 9 months. Using salt water in the boilers is not a good idea. Originally it was with Hong Kong chinese crew but eventually changed to Filipino crew, who had no experience at sea. Fighting was rampant in the crew. We had a variety of C/Engineers none lasted more than a few months, paying off sick which was not surprising.
The master had being on the beach for a long time but he lasted the longest of all. Mullions were well know race horse owners and had quite a few old ships at one time.
I gave away the sea after this voyage for 5 years, then went back and I am still working at sea. As they say that trip was worth a million dollar of experience but I would not give a dollar to do it again.
I never heard of the ship again. Or indeed any of the officers. In the end there were two europeans left, Lundy was the name of the master.

Cheers Michael

universalskipper
10th February 2009, 12:23

Regards,
Arthur Ryan

Yes, as 2nd mate on London Breeze, we loaded copra too (in bulk) at Bitung Anchorage, off Menado. Can't forget the beetles in their thousands swarming in the holds and many sleeping with us in our cabins. Irritating but you need to expect all this as part of life at sea.

Another strange place for a ship to load in Indonesia is Ternate in the Ambons?..still trying to recall which ship (maybe San Roberto) I was on. That small island..we made a round coastal trip of it on donkey cart in less than an hour & the locals wouldnt allow guys walking in short pants ashore. Damn hot too, more suited for lying on their beach in swimming trunks.

universalskipper
10th February 2009, 12:41
Hi Ron,
I sailed for a short period on Sydney Breeze whilst in Japan Inland sea. She is such a cute old ship in that most everything about her is like "slow & basic". I vaguely remember seeing not one real streamlining design effect in her. Maybe there is a pic of her somewhere here that wud jolt the memory and proved otherwise.

Hi Guys

Somebody was asking about the history of some of Manners Ships

I know for a fact that the Trelevan was bought and renamed Sydney Breeze in 1964. As I sailed on her (Treleven) in 1963 and I have researched all the vessels I sailed on. She was sold on in 1970 and sadly ended her days with a bad Engine room fire in 1973. In Halifax Nova Scotia that really necessitated her being scraped in Valencia the following year. Must have been a nice tow job.

Regards Ron

universalskipper
10th February 2009, 12:52
Remember vaguely the connection to a Hkg bar there, so thats the C/E Rennie Smith. Fil Mate Eugeno probably the same guy I met briefly on board Manners vessels when we standby officers were usually put to doing some superintending work in Hkg.
Thanks.

Whatever happened thereafter & now to all these people? Just wondering.

universalskipper
10th February 2009, 13:05
Thanks.

Hi Vic,

A few months ago, was in Hkg..the building where Manners office was on 20th Fl. I think, is still standing in Central but can anybody remember the Mariner or Seaman Club near to Admiralty area..I can't seem to find it. The area is very much developed and there is a yatch club nearby and a park. I used to stay at this club on the top floor with cheap single room and met many drifting seagoing guys there. Saw many action too..U S Navy guys on RnR getting drunk & creating problems on the ground floor bar & restuarant.

PollY Anna
11th February 2009, 17:43
Hi Universalskipper
Just seen your post if you look up Treleven there is a few pics on this site if you sent John Briggs an email and asked him nicely I am sure he would send you the pic he has in his Private Collection. He was skipper on her when she became the Sydney Breeze after being sold by Hains.
Regards Ron

arthurryan
14th January 2011, 23:41
The address for Manners in Hong Kong was :
Manners Navigation Co. Ltd.,
17th. Floor,
Union House,
P.O.Box 235
Hong Kong

arthurryan
14th January 2011, 23:43
I sailed with Peter Mc Cormack who was Mate on the North Breeze in 1965. He was a New Zealander. Anybody have any news of him? Thanks

arthurryan
14th January 2011, 23:46
Capt. Aedan Jamison who is now Harbour Master in Rosslare, Ireland was formerly with Manners of Hong Kong

vic pitcher
15th January 2011, 11:46
I sailed with Peter Mc Cormack who was Mate on the North Breeze in 1965. He was a New Zealander. Anybody have any news of him? Thanks

I knew Peter quite well in the sixties when he was Cadet and Third Mate.
I posted a picture of him some time ago.

he married a Japanese lady in Fukuoka and eventually settled in NSW;
I have an address and phone number which i will send you via a PM.

Geoff Walker
3rd November 2011, 00:23
Vic,
Asia Breeze (ex Asia Fir ex Carronpark If memory serves). Sailed as 3rd Mate arnd end 1964/5 as 3rd Mate. Joined in HKG then was hospitalized due to leg injury. Rejoined in Cebu few weeks later. Ship developed serious problems with ME and was towed from Cebu to Manila, cargo of Copra discharged into a Philippines President Lines vessel, then towed back to Hong Kong by tug "Taikoo" for dry docking. Seems problem with ME was a consequence of grounding some years earlier (??). A very interesting experience indeed.
Geoff

Denis Picot
4th November 2011, 00:44
Hi there you "old China Hands ,
could anyone give me any info on Paul Ellis who at one time was a skipper with the China Steam Nav. Co. ??? He was born in Jersey, Channel Islands, went to Warsash, Port Line then Far East. He would be about 73 years old now. Would be grateful for any info.

julesung
9th November 2011, 21:46
Hi Vic,

A few months ago, was in Hkg..the building where Manners office was on 20th Fl. I think, is still standing in Central but can anybody remember the Mariner or Seaman Club near to Admiralty area..I can't seem to find it. The area is very much developed and there is a yatch club nearby and a park. I used to stay at this club on the top floor with cheap single room and met many drifting seagoing guys there. Saw many action too..U S Navy guys on RnR getting drunk & creating problems on the ground floor bar & restuarant.

Seaman club is located in TSU on the Kowloon side

julesung
10th November 2011, 02:02
Do anyone know what happen to Capt Scott from West Breeze in 65-66?

vic pitcher
11th November 2011, 10:12
Do anyone know what happen to Capt Scott from West Breeze in 65-66?

Sailed with Fred Scott in SUNDA BREEZE in 1961
No idea of his subsequent life.
A great, sociable guy

teb
11th November 2011, 13:07
on Reading the posts on this thread about "Manners" ships brings back memories for me-whilst did not sail on them I did "Fix" many of them during my time in HK- does anyone remember "Red Anchor" during their tme out there??

julesung
11th November 2011, 16:28
Yeah, he was a great skipper, learn a lot from him, he was my first captain that I served as cadet on West Breeze. Hope he is well after all these years.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
1st February 2012, 23:49
I was CNCo 80's and 90's but certainly knew John P McRink who was almost single handedly keeping the Peruvian fishmeal trade going in his tweendeckers.

Possibly the last of the old style Hong Kong tramp owners.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
3rd February 2012, 14:10
Hi Vic,

I think you are thinking of the China Fleet Club which was in that area.

It closed before 1997 and the trustees iirc bought a golf club in Devon (?) with the proceeds.

The Mariners' Club is still very much in business with its main building at 11 Middle Road Tsim Sha Tsui righ behind the Penisula Hotel and its branch at the container terminal.

DonaldW
4th May 2013, 07:58
I was in Manners from 1962 till 1985. First served on Cardross as 2nd Mate when bought. Transferred to Brisbane Breeze in Guam in December '62 then San Fernando (ex Swanstream) as 1st Mate in Jan'63. Re-joined Cardross as 1st Mate in Hong Kong March '63, thence on Troon Breeze,Antonio Regidor (with Fred Scott) when boilers melted and Fred broke his ankle. Thence on Cachupin until going home to do Master's Ticket, then returned as 1st Mate on Sunda Breeze and my first Masters job when registry changed to Panama and re-named San Jeronimo. Joined North Breeze as new building as 1st Mate and was relieved by John Briggs. After that resumed as Master on Antonio Regidor (ex Komata) then Pilar Regidor (ex Malaita). Then Joined Asia Breeze and again relieved by John Briggs in Rangoon. Other ships served on South Breeze, Djatiluhur, West Breeze, San Eduardo,North Breeze, San Roberto, Pacific Era, Pacific Saga.
DonaldW

John Briggs
4th May 2013, 09:03
Hi Don. Good to see you posting.
All the best!

Leratty
4th May 2013, 09:51
God I would have given my right thumb to have been sailing on those vessels, I have read all the posts leaves me in the shade of a adventurous sea time. There if the Manners boys recall was an interesting I think on this site series of posts by some Filipino lady in Sydney seeking out one of the De Lasale family. She turned out to be a scallywag however one of the family told the thread the score & as to the family now days & about the one family member that disappeared into the ethos no one hearing from him for many, many years, no one knowing if he was alive or dead. In those days the HK shipping scene would have been almost akin the pre war, still see some old trampers but nothing I am sure like those days, I envy you guys time with them true tramping.

vic pitcher
4th May 2013, 11:30
I was in Manners from 1962 till 1985. First served on Cardross as 2nd Mate when bought. Transferred to Brisbane Breeze in Guam in December '62 then San Fernando (ex Swanstream) as 1st Mate in Jan'63. Re-joined Cardross as 1st Mate in Hong Kong March '63, thence on Troon Breeze,Antonio Regidor (with Fred Scott) when boilers melted and Fred broke his ankle. Thence on Cachupin until going home to do Master's Ticket, then returned as 1st Mate on Sunda Breeze and my first Masters job when registry changed to Panama and re-named San Jeronimo. Joined North Breeze as new building as 1st Mate and was relieved by John Briggs. After that resumed as Master on Antonio Regidor (ex Komata) then Pilar Regidor (ex Malaita). Then Joined Asia Breeze and again relieved by John Briggs in Rangoon. Other ships served on South Breeze, Djatiluhur, West Breeze, San Eduardo,North Breeze, San Roberto, Pacific Era, Pacific Saga.
DonaldW

Hi Don

After a brief spell standing by on San Ernesto/San Mayon at Yaumati
anchorage , preparing her for a SafEquip survey, I then went to the Sunda Breeze as 2nd Mate for a short period, she'd just come from Pusan with a porcine cargo, one porker emerged from the stbd alleyway as I was trying to get to the 2nd Mate's cabin, scattering my bags! Fred Scott was the Old Man there. Manuel Galdos, a noted Basque mariner was Master of San Ernesto, Rennie Smith (whose wife ran the Victoria Bar in Kowloon behind the Peninsula) was the Chief. The Mate was a "gorilla- like" Filipino styled Captain Eugenio del Castillo who kept a parrot in a cage made fast to the tongue and groove bulkhead of his cabin. After the Sunda Breeze I went via Royal Interocean Line's Tjitjalenka to Kobe, thence to Moji to join West Breeze, Eric Milroy-Master, Tommy Fuller (Mate).