Mahanada and Lucigen

Tony Selman
3rd October 2006, 22:13
A couple more slides from the missing set recently found. The first is obviously of true Brock's vintage and was taken when I coasted Mahanada in September 1966. I am fairly sure it was taken in Tilbury but not totally certain. I think Nigel James was the coasting 2/0 and the 3/0 was Peter Steele, can't remember anyone else I'm afraid.

The second is not truly Brock's as such although Lucigen, along with Lucellum and Luxor, came under Brocklebank management in 1965 and many Brock's men subsequently sailed on Moss Tankers. This was my first trip on my own, coincidentally along with another active user of the board Donald Macleod, also in his first trip on his own. This was good news for me as Don had been the very first person I met in the MN when joining Matra on my first trip and we had already done 2 voyages together. We joined in Cammel Lairds in July 1965 and this photo was taken at Pulau Bukom just off the Shell berths later that year. Lucigen was without doubt the worst ship I sailed on in my career and I remember that voyage with little affection. Don can speak for himself but I don't think he would have had a great trip either as Lucigen broke down frequently and had a lot of engineering and electrical problems. The only other Brock's man on board that I can remember was 3/0 Dave Tracey.

skymaster
4th October 2006, 00:35
Tony ,great picture of the Mahanada my last ship in 1958!

Mike

ken carr
5th October 2006, 14:22
Wonderful picture of the MAHANADA, do you, by any chance have any more photo's of her????? have lots of very good memories after spending nearly 3 years aboard her

Stay Happy

Regards
Ken Carr

Tony Selman
5th October 2006, 19:41
Ken, from memory this is my only picture because unlike you I was only on her for 3 weeks, not 3 years. I will have a look but I am not very optimistic.

Don A.Macleod
5th October 2006, 19:48
"Lucigen" (Please Tony,no swearing on this site!) Remember(forget,no way!) her well, yes! there were just the three of us from Brocks present as you say. She was a nightmare really, 52 breakdowns in under 6 months,many of them serious. I could write the proverbial book on that trip(from memory!) Do you remember when homeward bound and about half an hour from Port Said .(you and I were sitting in the ch. stewards cabin-Bill Jones-) when the 5th eng appeared in the doorway and advised me the "blower" had stopped, meaning the main engine was inoperable. I had taken precautions early in the voyage in the highly unlikely event of this ever happening and took remedial action on the way down. Imagine my surprise when appearing on the plates the "old man" John Murray was there before me. There were good blokes in Moss Tankers and I take my hat off to them for ther dedication.Went to LUCELLUM a couple of years later to help put her back together after salvaging .That was a Brocks job again ( Don. Clarke, Jake Donnelly, myself) but thats another story.

Don

Tony Selman
5th October 2006, 20:35
I do remember the incident Don, although I had forgotten the C/S name. I recall I don't think I have ever seen you move so fast in your life. Lucigen really was a pile of junk but I agree some of the Moss men were good. I thought John Murray was a very good Captain and I got on very well with C/O Ken Edwards. 2/O Stan Patterson and I never got on much. Was the C/E John McArdle? - another very friendly bloke but I always remember being intrigued by him saying "in my era" instead of "in my time" in a broad Geordie accent and it never sounded right. Funny the things you remember isn't it?

john g
5th October 2006, 22:41
I thought the Luminous was bad enough (a 6 month old nightmare in the late 60's) you guys certainly came across worse. Don I will get in touch with you buy e-mail I'd love to know if you can throw any light on what happened to the guys on the Mahout (your "best trip" ) which I reckon was my best time with Brocks.

S Fraser
6th October 2006, 14:18
Great pictures of Mahanada. Spent nearly 18 months on her in 62/3 when I was a deck apprentice. .
Stan

Cunarder
6th October 2006, 22:52
I remember the Lucigen/GKGE very well - she was only my second solo trip as R/O. Joined her in Ras from where we took on a full cargo of naptha for a Mobil charter to South Africa. Spent the next 4 to 5 months based in Durban alternately going south all ports to Capetown and return and then north to what was then Lourenco Marques (LM Radio was standard!). We did a one-off trip to Beira at the time of the Rhodesian blockade and ran the gauntlet of the Royal Navy at the river mouth. Am still convinced that our cargo was ultimately destined for Salisbury! Yes, the ship was not the best - I can still recall the woeful radio room and the Oceanspan 100W main TX - but I remember some great evenings in the wardy listening to some unknown Scottish comedian called Billy Connolly - I think we all knew the script of "The Crucifixion" off by heart. And who was the lecky who joined the ship and within 24hrs, after a martial arts demonstration in the wardy, ended up in Durban hospital with a steel pin through his broken knee??

Hmm - a crappy ship to be sure but I'd join her today if that rail warrant dropped through my letter box.....

Alan Marsden

Portred
30th January 2007, 14:16
Was there another "Lucigen", built around 1975-6?

In 1976 I was on a Moss Tanker up the River Fal at King Harry Ferry for several months.

I recall that this "Lucigen'' had just been delivered from Davie shipyard, Quebec, Canada.

There was a bolt missing from the engine bed somewhere and that allowed bilge water to contaminate the ME lub oil en-route from the builders.

Consequently, the crankshaft had to be polished to remove the rust on the journals.

Please refer to my other post regarding Rob Pescott, Chief lecky ''Lucerna'', sister ship.

Derek Roger
30th January 2007, 17:09
I thought that was Lucerna up the Fal . I had left Brocks and was working for Davies at that time and visited the vessel to confirm the Missing bolt . Visited her with Dennis Royale who was the Super at the time . Ian May or Davie Meek was the Chief Engineer on board at the time .
Cunard were not very pleased at me being the Shipyard Rep as half the time I was given to replying to my own letters re defects etc.
The sump had filled up with Bilge water and when the engine was turned of course lubricated the thing with salt !
I told them they should have paid attention to the sump high level alarm and investigated as to why it was high before starting the pumps and we would not pay for the engine overhaul as it was the ships fault for ignoring the alarm . London office got very excited over this for some reason !!! ( No sense of humor at all ) Davie of course paid for the repairs .
Also the rather nice lunch time session we had at the Pub by the Ferry with the old man who I was Dave Wolfenden if my memory serves me well .
Derek

PS For my experiences with the Lucy see my threads in the post "worst ships " She really was awful .

R798780
30th January 2007, 19:24
I thought that was Lucerna up the Fal . .

In '76 couldn't be Lucigen, I recall hearing the story 2nd hand, could only be Lucerna or Lucellum. Never saw Lucellum but put in a lot of seatime on Lucerna.

Derek Roger
30th January 2007, 20:32
Agreed Hugh ;
Lucerna and Lucellum were the ships built at Davies ( hulls 684 and 685 )

Derek

Portred
1st February 2007, 11:32
Thanks Guys!

I've no record of it because it was considered a ''Coastal Voyage'', the years have ''Blurred'' things a wee bit.

You are of course correct and that explains the picture of Rob Pescott on the ''Lucerna'' in the engine & mechanics section!

I sailed with him on a Brock's ship as well.

I now think that the name ''Lucigen'' embeded itself in my memory because I sailed with an engineer who was always telling yarns about it.

He came from liverpool, but unfortunately, I can't recall his name right now.

It will come to me later.

Thanks again!

regards.

Tony Selman
1st February 2007, 12:52
Anyone who was unfortunate enough to have sailed on Lucigen in any capacity will have the voyage indelibly imprinted on their memory. Regrettably.:(

Tony Sprigings
1st February 2007, 21:03
Tony,
Put in Bore tide Moorings in your search section and it will lead you to Markhor. Under that heading you will find what you asked. Cheers.

Derek Roger
1st February 2007, 23:38
Tony ;
I eventualy got my copy of your book ; I ordered it "Sea Mail " ( to try and keep some seamen in a Job ! )
It took 54 days ??? They must wait until there is a container load before shipping ??
Enjoyable reading ; thanks . Also a nice picture of " Mickey Spillane and his Good Lady " pass on my regards if you are in contact although I doubt he remembers me .
Alan Atack also passes on his regards to Dennis ; i think the last time they met was when Dennis attended the Mahsud in Hong Kong ?? to repair the bow damage from the incident in Colombo .

Regards Derek

PS.
There is some Brocklebank "stuff " coming up on E bay quite a bit ; hat badge is up for grabs now ; I still have mine so wont be bidding .
Missed a set of Brock Cards in a box recently which I would love to have bought but missed the closing of the bidding .

Portred
2nd February 2007, 10:05
Anyone who was unfortunate enough to have sailed on Lucigen in any capacity will have the voyage indelibly imprinted on their memory. Regrettably.:(

Yes, Tony, I now remember that engineers name, his name is Syd Fenemore, Fennemore or Fenimore.

Anyway, he was J/2/E on the Mahout in 1974.

He was always telling us about the hardships he suffered on the ''Lucigen''.

That's why after 31 years, I incorrectly named the MOSS Tanker that I was ''Coasting on'', the ''Lucigen'', when it really was the ''Lucerna''.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Adrian Boyce

Peterhr
12th March 2007, 15:01
Yes the sister ship was Lucellum - I was on the Lucerna and there was quite a lot of 'borrowing' of radio kit from Lucellum to make Lucerna read to sail from Falmouth. I have got some photos from the Lucerna maiden voyage (I was Junior R/O) and will post them in my gallery.

Cheers

Peter Harper-Roberts

Cunarder
14th March 2007, 08:20
Was anybody else here on Lucigen for the Mobil charter on the South African coast? I think it would have been around the 1969/70 timeframe.

Alan Marsden

Tony Sprigings
14th March 2007, 12:19
Was that when Dave Woolfenden was the Master?

Cunarder
15th March 2007, 04:56
Yes, that's right - think he relieved Wally Flett....

Tony Sprigings
15th March 2007, 10:36
I am still in regular touch with Dave Woolfenden but I don't think he is participating in this site.Can give you his details if you are interested.

Derek Roger
15th March 2007, 16:06
Tony;
Last saw Dave in Canada standing bye at Davies in Lauzon before I left Brocks and emigrated in 76 ; give him my regards .
Derek

uisdean mor
22nd August 2013, 15:58
As I was on board at the time with Dave Donaldson and Davie Meek I can assure that the sump had NOT filled up with bilge water. There was bilge water in the sump which entered through the missing bolt hole. Where we had high levels was the the cofferdam between the engine bed and the after lower plates and bilge.
We had been trying to ease the water that was coming but we also had various tasks to complete in terms of draining systems for the lay up and extremely concious of the fact we were parked on top of an oyster fishery.
As far as I remember it was also John Bain who was super - at least when we found the fault and started to assemble the list of problems and options to put things right.
Rgds
Uisdean

I thought that was Lucerna up the Fal . I had left Brocks and was working for Davies at that time and visited the vessel to confirm the Missing bolt . Visited her with Dennis Royale who was the Super at the time . Ian May or Davie Meek was the Chief Engineer on board at the time .
Cunard were not very pleased at me being the Shipyard Rep as half the time I was given to replying to my own letters re defects etc.
The sump had filled up with Bilge water and when the engine was turned of course lubricated the thing with salt !
I told them they should have paid attention to the sump high level alarm and investigated as to why it was high before starting the pumps and we would not pay for the engine overhaul as it was the ships fault for ignoring the alarm . London office got very excited over this for some reason !!! ( No sense of humor at all ) Davie of course paid for the repairs .
Also the rather nice lunch time session we had at the Pub by the Ferry with the old man who I was Dave Wolfenden if my memory serves me well .
Derek

PS For my experiences with the Lucy see my threads in the post "worst ships " She really was awful .

Derek Roger
23rd August 2013, 00:34
As I was on board at the time with Dave Donaldson and Davie Meek I can assure that the sump had NOT filled up with bilge water. There was bilge water in the sump which entered through the missing bolt hole. Where we had high levels was the the cofferdam between the engine bed and the after lower plates and bilge.
We had been trying to ease the water that was coming but we also had various tasks to complete in terms of draining systems for the lay up and extremely concious of the fact we were parked on top of an oyster fishery.
As far as I remember it was also John Bain who was super - at least when we found the fault and started to assemble the list of problems and options to put things right.
Rgds
Uisdean

Hugh ; I have to correct you here ( although we are on the same track )
I was the appointed Chief Engineer on the vessel and knew it very well . Davie Meek was originally appointed but decided he would take out the second vessel and Ian May was to be our relief Chief .
It was Dennis Royale who was the Super when I visited the ship in Falmouth ( we travelled together from London
The bolt was missing and the sea water which had been drained from the coolers and piping had caused the engine room tank top to be flooded to about a foot ( which would be normal as it could be pumped out overboard ; think it was later pumped ashore to a barge )

The sea water did drain into the ME/ sump and did cause indication of a high sump level over a period of several days . I took log extracts to that effect .
The subsequent turning over of the M/E on turning gear resulted in the SW ingress to the bearings which had to be rectified .
The repairs were done at the cost of the shipyard ; I signed the bill .
I had sailed with Dave Donaldson before on Mahsud ( an excellent engineer ) Also with Davie Meek and Ian May all good friends )
Dave Wolfendon was the Skipper I took to lunch along with Davie Meek and Ian May .
I did meet up with Davie Meek in Saint John a few years later when he was sailing Chief on one of the ACL ships .

Regards Derek

uisdean mor
23rd August 2013, 21:06
Hi Derek - I am not arguing there was no high level just that the timing and subsequent searches for causes were days apart. I took the sump soundings and searched to find why they were rising. The main drainage items also included some fresh water but a lot of salt. My memories of the initial investigation are that ( I may be splitting hairs) we were afloat on the moorings. She subsequently went down to Falmouth. You mention the ferry (King Harry's) so I am assuming that you were on her when up the river. We did not frequent the ferry but went upriver to the Roseland when we could. Murdo MacLeod was boatman. Anyway by pumping - very cautiously , we lowered the bilge enough to find the fault and it was decided to photograph the situation (professionally) so a local photographer was called in.
Took a long time to get to the plates and when we showed him what was required he went white. What we did not realise was that he only had one leg, the other was a peg. We did manage to get the photos and you probably saw some of these as the case progressed. I stayed on to let the two Davies home for Christmas and went home myself at New Year expecting to come back in January - No such luck - straight to Oloibiri - and that as they say is another story.Slainte

chadburn
23rd August 2013, 22:50
As I understand it, this Lucigen was a new ship built by Davies and did the one trip across to England.
The Root cause of the problem was a missing bolt, I don't see how the Shipbuilder can "pass" any blame. C.P.P. is very important when building a ship it is also important when re-commissioning a vessel to ensure that inspections are carried out (they appear to have been carried out?) and equipment signed off during the process by the person who inspected/tested it if possible.

Derek Roger
24th August 2013, 01:26
[QUOTE=chadburn;698543]As I understand it, this Lucigen was a new ship built by Davies and did the one trip across to England.
The Root cause of the problem was a missing bolt, I don't see how the Shipbuilder can "pass" any blame. C.P.P. is very important when building a ship it is also important when re-commissioning a vessel to ensure that inspections are carried out (they appear to have been carried out?) and equipment signed off during the process by the person who inspected/tested it if possible.[/QU

Hi Chad . No blame on the crew or company ; the shipyard picked up the bill as I said in other posts .

Derek

R798780
24th August 2013, 12:33
May have been a Lucigen, but was actually Lucellum, sister to Lucerna. I always thought it was Lucerna which had the crankcase problem in the Fal. Never saw or sailed on Lucellum but did over a quarter of my seatime on Lucerna - a geat deal of it with Dave Donaldson, 3/E in '76 and ever thereafter - until Lucerna was sold - he was permanent second. After that we both ended up on the Energos, ex Mobil Refiner

chadburn
24th August 2013, 17:30
Cheers Derek, not sure if it was Davies who built the first Canadian version of Smiths Flower Class Corvette, a bit of a coincidence that Smiths built the 1962 "Lucigen" and then Davies the later version. Looking at the 1962 version and that Platform (due to change of design?) I wonder if it would have been suitable for carrying a P&S R.A.S. Rig in the event of hostilities breaking out.

Derek Roger
24th August 2013, 20:12
Cheers Derek, not sure if it was Davies who built the first Canadian version of Smiths Flower Class Corvette, a bit of a coincidence that Smiths built the 1962 "Lucigen" and then Davies the later version. Looking at the 1962 version and that Platform (due to change of design?) I wonder if it would have been suitable for carrying a P&S R.A.S. Rig in the event of hostilities breaking out.

Hi ; No Davies did not build a Lucigen ; they built the Lucellum and Lucerna ; hulls no 685 and 686 as I recollect ; and I stood by both during construction .
I had one trip on Lucigen as 5th Engineer and she was a hard baby many other posts on SN regarding her .
We had Geordies down below and a Scouce crew on deck ; fireworks as each thought the other should not be there .
The crew broke into the bond and were pissed for about 2 days with a number of fights ; had a stabbing and had to lock up two of the crew who were flown home from Singapore .
The Old Man was quite good as the Mate had asked that we went down and sorted them out ; he said no just wait a bit until they are all pisssed and asleep and we will then go down and sort them out .
Only time at sea I slept with my door locked ( which we were advised to do )
The Mate was a Geordie ; a short stocky figure who had come up the hawse pipe and had no fear of any kind . He went down alone when the stabbing occurred and sorted things out ; as a young lad had the greatest admiration for him Sailed with him at a later time when he was Captain and I Chief Engineer and we shared a few stories of the `Lucy `as she was known .

She had a P type Doxford which was one of only a few ; none of which had any success to my knowledge .

Happy Days Derek

chadburn
25th August 2013, 17:34
I will get it right in a minute!! Smiths built the 1962 "Lucigen" which I believe is the vessel in your previous#32, was there not another "Lucigen" built in later years? Re Portred #10. There seems to be some confusion as to the name of the vessel with the missing bolt, or is it me? what make of engine was fitted to the offending vessel pse.

R798780
26th August 2013, 11:59
I will get it right in a minute!! Smiths built the 1962 "Lucigen" which I believe is the vessel in your previous#32, was there not another "Lucigen" built in later years? Re Portred #10. There seems to be some confusion as to the name of the vessel with the missing bolt, or is it me? what make of engine was fitted to the offending vessel pse.

There were two Lucigens. The 1962 which you know about and an earlier one, built in 1909. The missing bolt occurred on one of the 1975/76 Davies built tankers, and they were Lucellum and Lucerna. Hope this sheds another ray of light on it !

Derek Roger
26th August 2013, 15:34
There were two Lucigens. The 1962 which you know about and an earlier one, built in 1909. The missing bolt occurred on one of the 1975/76 Davies built tankers, and they were Lucellum and Lucerna. Hope this sheds another ray of light on it !

The two Davie built sips has RND Sulzer main engines built on the Tyne I believe . The Lucigen 1962 has a P Type Doxford .

chadburn
26th August 2013, 18:04
Thank you both for the further information(Thumb)

Seadog666
1st September 2013, 22:53
Was anybody else here on Lucigen for the Mobil charter on the South African coast? I think it would have been around the 1969/70 timeframe.

Alan Marsden

Yes, I was there and remember it well. Graham Wright, 2/O, but can recall only a few names of others. Dave Woolfenden, George Wilson, Bill Luckey, Del Jones....

Derek Roger
1st September 2013, 23:47
Yes, I was there and remember it well. Graham Wright, 2/O, but can recall only a few names of others. Dave Woolfenden, George Wilson, Bill Luckey, Del Jones....

Luckey must have been the Old man ; Dave Wolfenden the Mate and George Wilson second mate ??

Seadog666
2nd September 2013, 15:24
Luckey must have been the Old man ; Dave Wolfenden the Mate and George Wilson second mate ??

Yes, Bill Luckey was the Old Man (golf fanatic, as I recall!) Dave Woolfenden was the mate then master, and George Wilson was the mate, (although I did another trip on the Lucigen and George was in command.)

Others I recall are Walter Flett, mate then Master, Dave Berry 2/O, Joe Block, Bosun (Maltese guy), Jack Fillingham, Mate (from Brocks). Hoping to remember a few more! (Our loading berth in Durban was Island View no. 6!)

R798780
3rd September 2013, 15:00
Some of the other mates / masters around that time would be Gordon Ward, Stan Patterson, (Wacky) Jackie Waters and another Brock man (Butch ?) Ward

Tony Selman
3rd September 2013, 16:26
Hugh, not so sure Butch Ward was on the tankers. I was on Maturata with him for over a year in around 1969 and he was there before and after I was there. Not to say that he did not go there in the early 70's I suppose but have never heard his name mentioned.

Derek Roger
3rd September 2013, 16:37
I sailed with Butch Ward on Mahsud in 1973 which was his last trip ; I do not recollect him ever being on the tankers . Derek

Derek Roger
3rd September 2013, 16:41
When I was on Lucigen in 1966 Ian May was Chief and Ben Page 2nd Engineer . Spud Murphy was 4th Engineer and George Wilson was Mate . I do not remember the rest .

Seadog666
3rd September 2013, 21:46
Have found some photos which may be of interest....

From L to R, yours truly, Denis Wild, Max Garrett and R/O "Rupert" (on account of wearing Bear Brand socks! The things you remember!)
Mahanada or Manipur, probably Xmas 1968 or so...

More to follow...

Graham Wright

Seadog666
3rd September 2013, 21:54
More...

Same occasion - L - R ER app Peter Stonely, can't remember name of middle guy, but then Ben Lyon, C/E I think? (In the middle is the Old Man? Name, anyone?)

Will post one or two more, as I come a across them. (The memory cell is in danger of severe strain!)

Graham

Seadog666
3rd September 2013, 22:09
One more...

L-R 3/E Renton, 4/E Alan Danson ("SweetPea" - god knows why!) senior Lecky (name, anyone?) and yours truly...

More if you wish!

Graham 😜

uisdean mor
4th September 2013, 00:05
One more...

L-R 3/E Renton, 4/E Alan Danson ("SweetPea" - god knows why!) senior Lecky (name, anyone?) and yours truly...

More if you wish!

Graham 😜

Well well - the senior lecky is the Dancing Bear Iain Beery/Leery or something like that. Previous posting the eng is Brian Stoneleigh I think (spelling) and not a Peter. Many thanks for posting. never sailed on the Lucigen so perhaps I was a bit lucky
Slainte
Uisdean

uisdean mor
4th September 2013, 00:09
One more...

More if you wish!

Graham 😜

Is it Iain Sealey - chief lecky . If you have more then yes please post . It was certainly a good camera you had as the quality is excellent.
Slainte
Uisdean

Derek Roger
4th September 2013, 02:23
Is it Iain Sealey - chief lecky . If you have more then yes please post . It was certainly a good camera you had as the quality is excellent.
Slainte
Uisdean

Hugh ' You are right it was Brain Stonely and Ian Seery . Can see another picture of him in my gallery on Maihar

R798780
4th September 2013, 11:06
More...

Same occasion - L - R ER app Peter Stonely, can't remember name of middle guy, but then Ben Lyon, C/E I think? (In the middle is the Old Man? Name, anyone?)

Will post one or two more, as I come a across them. (The memory cell is in danger of severe strain!)

Graham

Brian Nuttall in the middle.

I sailed with Brian Stonely on Lumiere in '75 when he was 2/E

R798780
4th September 2013, 11:10
I sailed with Butch Ward on Mahsud in 1973 which was his last trip ; I do not recollect him ever being on the tankers . Derek

Too many Wards. I'm sure there was a Ward went to the tankers, hence my question mark - obviously not Butch - and the other Ward was Gordon Ward, Moss Apprentice - sailed with him lots and ultimately relieved him.

Philthechill
4th September 2013, 21:23
Too many Wards. I'm sure there was a Ward went to the tankers, hence my question mark - obviously not Butch - and the other Ward was Gordon Ward, Moss Apprentice - sailed with him lots and ultimately relieved him.-----O-o-o-o-e-r Missis! DO tell!(*)). Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Derek Roger
4th September 2013, 21:53
As an aside Phil on Lucigen ; I joined in Liverpool after drydock ; nothing had been done to the A C which was a primitive system to say the least . Once we hit the heat AC was put on and did nothing . Simple system two compressors ( not very big which each supplied to P & S ; Port being the engineers and bar Stbd being the Mates and dining room ; same down aft ; Port being the oilers and Stbd being the deck dept .
I took apart both compressors and found the reed valves to be in poor shape and few spares . I was however able to jury rig the Engineers compressor with reed valves from spares and some old parts and got that one working after a fashion . The Mates side was less spectacular ; using again old reed valves and bits and pieces I got it going for a couple of days ; then it fell over .
Engineers kept going for a couple of weeks and then also fell over . Had to keep gassing up every couple of days ( No spares at all to fix leaks )

Chief Eng and the rest of us pretty happy and the mates dismal . Bar was cool though and some slept there .

Got some spares in Panama but never had any time to do the work for a couple of weeks as the Main Engine kept falling over . A real Sh1t trip .
I was supposed to fix the AC in Okinawa ( we were hauling naptha for the Vietnam war ) I never got a chance as the rest went ashore for a break and did not come back for 2 days . I had to do 4 watches straight as we were pumping cargo .

Happy Days Derek

Camper10
4th September 2013, 22:00
I have just joined today and was interested in the Lucigen thread beacause I was on her for a six month trip 1970/71 (Jeddah / Ras Tanura before tapline).
4th Engineer. Only joined her to sign and become contracted with Brock Bulkers I think it was, so I could take my soon to be wife away with me on my next trip.
Terrible ship, many break downs. Overhauling a cylinder and the dumb second didn't notice the crane hook come out of the bottom piston lifting eye. My mate (Mick from Blackpool, can't remember his name) was standing on the crosshead in the crankcase and .. yes you guessed it ... piston freed itself from the piston ring hang up and took his foot off. Had his leg taken off just below the knee.
Terrible ship

Derek Roger
4th September 2013, 23:56
I have just joined today and was interested in the Lucigen thread beacause I was on her for a six month trip 1970/71 (Jeddah / Ras Tanura before tapline).
4th Engineer. Only joined her to sign and become contracted with Brock Bulkers I think it was, so I could take my soon to be wife away with me on my next trip.
Terrible ship, many break downs. Overhauling a cylinder and the dumb second didn't notice the crane hook come out of the bottom piston lifting eye. My mate (Mick from Blackpool, can't remember his name) was standing on the crosshead in the crankcase and .. yes you guessed it ... piston freed itself from the piston ring hang up and took his foot off. Had his leg taken off just below the knee.
Terrible ship

Welcome to the site . Lucy was a hard ship but we all survived . Happy Days . Derek

Derek Roger
4th September 2013, 23:58
Welcome to the site . Lucy was a hard ship but we all survived . Happy Days . Derek

Not Mickey Dunn I hope Camper . Derek

R798780
5th September 2013, 00:17
-----O-o-o-o-e-r Missis! DO tell!(*)). Salaams, Phil(Hippy)

Phil, you don't get any better. (and I thought restraint improved with age even if brainpower dimished)

Allow me to rephrase it. I was promoted to the top deck and became bagman master for Energos and Lumiere, with John Watson (Brocklebank man) permanent on Energos and Gordon (Captain Sensible) Ward permanent on Lumiere.

And where does this hippy bit come from. You really do seem to be regressing !!

LoL

Ectdum salaams

Derek Roger
5th September 2013, 16:32
I checked my discharge book re Lucigen and the Master was John W Murray although I have to admit I do not recall him .
On of the more pleasant memories on Lucy was that we built a bar in a disused cabin on the port side lower deck . Ian May had obtained some whiskey barrels that we split vertically and bolted them together . We used an old piece of aluminium brass heating coil for the foot rail which I had the chore of polishing until it shone .
Named the bar the 3 barrels as I recollect . It had everything but a fridge !

Happy Days Derek

Tony Selman
5th September 2013, 19:23
John Murray was the Master on my trip on Lucigen in 1965. He was my first experience in what became a long line of excellent Moss Tanker Masters with Messrs Mason, Luckey and Waters to follow. I liked John Murray very much, he was relatively young for a Captain by Brocks standards being in his early to mid 40's then I would think. He was a friendly and very fair man but I never sailed with him again. He had spent a lot of time on whalers (Salvesen's I think).

chadburn
5th September 2013, 20:50
Although not the same Master sailing with an O/M who had spent sometime in his past Whaling was quite an experience. Great Seamen.