Broompark Photo

Dan.n
6th October 2006, 23:11
Hi All
I was delighed to see the photo of the Broompark
I was a 16 Year old deck boy on the maiden voyage joining in Greenock
13.05.1959 paidoff Hamburg 25.03.1960, Ten month and thirteen days. The master was Captain Cant mate Donald/Duncan MacDonald, app called Para Handy and MacKinnon,Peter Denholm was was aboard and I think he left at Panama. I can give a listing of the ports in my next posting if anyone is interested.The photo would have been taken on her trials as I remember having seen it before.
I have another photo of her in the ice on the St Lawrence which was in the SM Nov 96 with ORIENT MID-EAST painted midship and probably taken in the spring of 1960 on her second voyage.
I have a spare SM Nov 1996 with the photo
I live in Inverness
Regards
Donald

Gulpers
7th October 2006, 01:11
Donald,
A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey. I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience! Thank you for joining in with the Denholm thread and once you have had a look around, I'm sure you will meet some of your ex shipmates. (Thumb)

Hamish Mackintosh
7th October 2006, 01:56
Donald,
A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey. I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience! Thank you for joining in with the Denholm thread and once you have had a look around, I'm sure you will meet some of your ex shipmates. (Thumb)

Welcome Aboard ,Know Inverness piping venue very well , born in Dornoch myself ,now in Canada, go over there every second year or so

Argyll
24th October 2006, 20:30
Hello donald,
the app Mackinnon you sailed with on maiden voyage was I think Archie from Ardrishaig he did not complete his apprentice and among other jobs was or is a fisherman , lives in the same village as myself, Tarbert ,argyll,
do you recall the 2nd mate as Jim Currie, he was there when she ran aground in the lakes. I was on her as app. 28/03/61 till 05/06/62 along with Davie Livingstone of now Clyde Marine Fame,
Argyll

Tom Morton
26th October 2006, 12:17
I remember Archie McKinnon well but had no idea he did not complete his apprenticeship. Also remember Capt Cant who is referenced in earlier message.When he was signing on crew he would say "spelled with an 'a' not a 'u' "

Argyll
28th October 2006, 09:53
Tom,
I had heard of capt. cant spelt with an a although I never sailed with him I beleive the u would have been more appropiate,
Did you sail with a Duncan Mac Donald from Strone.
Argyll

Tom Morton
28th October 2006, 12:10
I know I sailed with more than one Duncan McDonald but have no idea where they were from.

Dan.n
31st December 2006, 21:54
Hi Argyll and all
Thanks for your reply and apologise for the late responce
Yes, I am pretty sure Archie MacKinnon that lives near you would have been the apprentice on the Broompark,it would be nice to make contact with him if it is possible.I cann't recall the 2nd mate's name I don't think it was Currie
The Broompark didn't run aground on her maiden voyage although we did go up the lakes in Sep/Oct 59.The Britania had been up with the Queen opening the Seaway that summer
The trip was Greenock,Guantanama Bay, and Santigo, Cuba, bagged sugar for Tokio, and Shimisu, light ship to Mackay, AU. bulk sugar for Montreal, then up the Lakes for general cargo, Chicago Calamet,Kenosha ,Detroit,Cleveland,Toledo,Toronto,loading for the Far East,Jedda,Karachi,Bombay,Madras,Calcutta,Rangoon, Singapore,Jakarta,and light ship to Saigon full cargo back to the continental ports and drydock in Hamburg,10 months and 13 days
I have a spare SM with a photo of the Broompark in the ice in the St Lawrence which I could post to you if I had your address or I could scan it and send it privatly.
I still enjoy traveling/cruising been on the QE2,3trips, the Oriana,Arcadia and the Ledgend of The Seas, my wife and I are joining the QM 2 on 5th Feb 07 in San Francisco on its Maiden World Cruise,but it is unlikly to be as memorable as the maiden voyage on the Broompark in 1959.
Kind regards to all Members
And wishing All the very best for 2007
DAN

Argyll
1st January 2007, 13:36
Hi Dan ,
Happy New , I don't know if Archie is onthe net but I will find out
and let you know some how, My E-mail ad is *************.
Argyll

email address deleted from public forum. It's safer to exchange email addresses by PM. (Thumb)

Rgds,

Ray

Dan.n
11th January 2007, 00:10
Hi Argyll
Thanks for that. I sent you a PM last week with the Broom in it
Did you receive
DAN

JimC
12th November 2007, 19:10
Hi Dan!

Just joined and saw your reply to 'Argyll' re the Broompark. I know him very well and actually sent him some pics of the ship (one of which showed her in the ice. If you rememebr; she had the new-fangled fly wheel propelled lifeboats and we managed to land one on a wee iceflow which saved the boys the effort of winding the damn crank handle!!
I joined her as 2M in Hamburg on 24.3.60. The Archie McKinnon you talk about is known as 'Archie Rigger' in Tarbert. I know him very well too. He has a fishing boat there. The 'Broompark' ran aground no less than three times when up the Great lakes on that voyage; ending up in Montral Drydock for about four weeks. There was a BOT enquiry at which I was principal witness for the ship and our skipper Jimmy Johnston from Orkney was congratulated on his handling of the affair. We had a pilot on board at the time and he was not a happy man! The Mate was Donald McKaskill from N. Uist and the third was a chap - Alan from Alva.
You left the ship before I joined her. My next one was the 'Naess Sovereign' which I joined new for sea trials in Nagasaki.

All the best. Will dig put some old pics and post

JIm C.

roythwa
15th July 2009, 11:46
Hi all,

I was delighted to see the posts about my old ship MV Broompark.

I must have joined in after the 1960 sign off she was in drydock on the UK east coast I remember Marconi sending me up there by train to arrive in the early morning. The local folks were very helpful and I had a hot feed at the fishing co-op with all the fishermen.

I boarded her in the drydock and was very happy for many voyages. We went everywhere!

My job as Sparks was a joy serving under Capn Macdonald.

I would love to see her photo again. I got a postcard in Egypt and sent it back to the UK but it has long gone.

Please post any notes if you can manage.

I had a Radio from Eddystone sent out and remember Jimmy Shand and his band what a time the lads had.

Roy

James MacDonald
15th July 2009, 16:11
Hi Dan,do you remember any of the deck crowds names, Im sure my dad Allan was on that trip with you.

Dan.n
16th July 2009, 00:23
Hi James, I don't think there were any MacDonalds on deck apart from the First Mate,two Abs from Lewis,one English AB and the rest from the Glasgow area

roythwa
18th July 2009, 20:13
Hi all,

I was delighted to see the posts about my old ship MV Broompark.

I must have joined in after the 1960 sign off she was in drydock on the UK east coast I remember Marconi sending me up there by train to arrive in the early morning. The local folks were very helpful and I had a hot feed at the fishing co-op with all the fishermen.

I boarded her in the drydock and was very happy for many voyages. We went everywhere!

My job as Sparks was a joy serving under Capn Macdonald.

I would love to see her photo again. I got a postcard in Egypt and sent it back to the UK but it has long gone.

Please post any notes if you can manage.

I had a Radio from Eddystone sent out and remember Jimmy Shand and his band what a time the lads had.

Roy
Roy Thwaites

Correction to my last post the old man was Tawse sorry!

muldonaich
18th July 2009, 21:52
i think i posted this before this ship was adopted by castlebay school on the isle of barra captain tawse was master i remember reading his letters just before i went to sea kev.

roythwa
19th July 2009, 03:51
i think i posted this before this ship was adopted by castlebay school on the isle of barra captain tawse was master i remember reading his letters just before i went to sea kev.
hello muldonaich from roy thanks for the contact I have a message saying i have some replies to my posts my 1st 13 ! but i dont know how to find them do you please help!

Roy Thwaites

Hi Kev

John Cassels
19th July 2009, 09:58
Bill Tawse , nice guy , only sailed with him on the Trollpark around 1970.

A real gentleman.

Argyll
1st December 2009, 22:24
I know it is late but officer list 61 to 62 was Master H.Mac Donald releived by W.Tawse mate I.Haldane, 2/o J.W Johnson 3/o WER Wingate (paid of Sick) releived by TK Whyte C/E R menzies releived by beardmore, 2nd eng DW HOGG
lecky A.Dowling

randcmackenzie
2nd December 2009, 23:54
Second Mate the famous Jonah Johnstone perchance?

From that squad I sailed with Hector, Willie Tawse, Jonah (If it was he), Wingate (Ithink) and Dave Hogg (I remember surely).

randcmackenzie
2nd December 2009, 23:56
PS There is a very good picture of Broompark alongside in Brisbane in the gallery, but it is titled Carronpark.

John Cassels
3rd December 2009, 10:32
PS There is a very good picture of Broompark alongside in Brisbane in the gallery, but it is titled Carronpark.

Bill Tawse relieved Hector MacDonald on the Troll park when I was there as
two mates , 1971 or thereabouts I think. Then when I left , another fine
guy relieved Bill. Lost his name for the moment , give me a little time.....

John Cassels
3rd December 2009, 10:44
Ok , senior moment has passed , it wal Malcolm Thorpe.

roythwa
4th January 2010, 12:27
I had a list of all the ports the Broompark visited on her second maiden voyage it got mislaid with all my uniforms ect.

The first was Antwerp where I went to the local dance got onto a local lass but she dumped me for having too much dutch courage !

Roy Thwaites

Sparky

wmiller
6th May 2010, 22:19
wmiller 'haffy''. sailed on Broompark 1966 'Screaman willie' master. Gordon Daly, 2/o, Graham Marshall 3/0, Kwok Kann bosun, many others. Happy years.